Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Don't paint your white models white, paint them extremely light grey then highlight with white. For these veterans, I painted their helmets Ulthuan Grey, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade (a blue wash) and then brought them back up to Ulthuan Grey leaving the shade in the recesses, before highlighting with pure white:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Advice I got on painting whites in a class by Noel Meyer is that you want to have most of your white areas white, but to have a decent amount shadows in colors that match the surroundings to some extent. Generally a light brown for warmer, indoor settings and blue for cooler, outdoor settings. Normally, when you paint a mini, you're going to look at about sixty percent of the area in your midtone, with twenty percent shadow and twenty percent highlight. With white, your "midtone" is also your highlight, so you end up with eighty percent white or very near white. She used this mini among others to demonstrate.

She paints blacks pretty much the same way, just reversing it so you have about twenty percent highlight (again using colors around it) and the rest black. I've got a picture of some color squares she made to demonstrate. I'll try and upload them later.

And try not to handle your mini directly until you have a chance to seal it. If it isn't feasible to not handle it (large, awkward model), consign yourself to having to touch it up, and make sure to wash your hands before and after. If you're having a serious problem, make sure you're washing the mini well before painting.

EDIT: Here it is. Linking because it's pretty large.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 26, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

Don't paint your white models white, paint them extremely light grey then highlight with white. For these veterans, I painted their helmets Ulthuan Grey, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade (a blue wash) and then brought them back up to Ulthuan Grey leaving the shade in the recesses, before highlighting with pure white:

Thanks! Time to buy more paints at the local GW store for this stupidass project :shepicide:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

AndyElusive posted:

Good question! I too would like to know if there are any awesome painters slash modellers on Instagram. I need to balance out all these pictures of food, cats, couples and babies with awesomeness.

I just went ahead and searched for hashtags that had anything to do with warhammer and miniature gaming. My hobby-instagram is @garagepainter. If you add me you can see what kind of people I follow and then go from there. Although @heelanhammer, the podcast have their own instagram so that is a good place to start.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
What advantages are there to buying this

http://www.thewarstore.com/product74554.html

over these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NNLAC2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3BUTZ3PU6O0VG&coliid=I1TS6O6PGGSPI2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065O63BK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3BUTZ3PU6O0VG&coliid=I2RONDG84KSPIN&psc=1?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Nothing (as far as I can tell) other than you won't get that drill bit until some time between July and September. Also there's no info on what size those Warstore magnets are.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Traditional Oath crosspost

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the trick to doing white with a red cross on shields? Just to paint it straight white?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the trick to doing white with a red cross on shields? Just to paint it straight white?

I'd use some masking tape as well, but I'm bad at painting straight lines, so...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I got some painting done while the forums were down. I normally don't get any responses to pictures I post here, (hard to compete with some of you incredible painters!) but this is my first attempt at OSL (on the hammer) so give me some feedback?

Double dare: can you spot the Chinese recasts?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I got some painting done while the forums were down. I normally don't get any responses to pictures I post here, (hard to compete with some of you incredible painters!) but this is my first attempt at OSL (on the hammer) so give me some feedback?

There's only one photos with the hammer really visible, but from what I can tell the glow is only on the boot of the rider - the glow would reach the ground, front fender/mud guard of the bike, even the weapon shaft and I can't spot any hint of blue on those areas. It depends how obvious you want the glow to be, but objects at the same distance should have roughly the same amount of glow on them to make the OSL really work.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Like krush said, more should be glowing. I doubt anyone will notice if you don't grab them and tell them to examine your OSL, but just something to consider. Drill your bolter holes! Ps that guy's bike is falling because he can't steer

Chinese recasts are...the apothecary, the Ravenwing bike, and possibly the Sanguinary Guard you used on the bike apothecary?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really thought out the complete effect of the OSL and everything it should touch, I just wanted to see if I could make the "glow" look right. I'll go back and add it to those features, good call.

The recasts are the FW Apothecary and the chest pieces on the bikers. Everything else is GW. Its brittle, but great casts.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you can't fool me

I forgot the front of the Ravenwing bike tire guard has that beak thing. I'll still take it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thanks! Time to buy more paints at the local GW store for this stupidass project :shepicide:

As for straight lines, paint the whole model red, mask off the line you want to stay red with Tamiya masking tape, then paint white. Otherwise your red lines will (probably) always be wobbly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I have produced a super-in-depth guide to painting white

buy skull white spray. if your model is metal or resin, pick a different color

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I purchased a Badger 155 Anthem with my birthday money, so I'd have a siphon feed airbrush. Anything I need to know about it that wouldn't be obvious? I am using it pretty much exclusively for priming, basecoating, and varnishing. Supposedly I can use it for fine work if I get a replacement head assembly without needing to change the needle. Anyone got experience with that?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

I purchased a Badger 155 Anthem with my birthday money, so I'd have a siphon feed airbrush. Anything I need to know about it that wouldn't be obvious? I am using it pretty much exclusively for priming, basecoating, and varnishing. Supposedly I can use it for fine work if I get a replacement head assembly without needing to change the needle. Anyone got experience with that?

It's the same as a Patrio 150, but siphon feed instead of gravity...so it will outlast all your hobby painting needs. Try to have a spare needle on hand in case you bump it or drop it, the needle is pretty exposed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

Don't paint your white models white, paint them extremely light grey then highlight with white. For these veterans, I painted their helmets Ulthuan Grey, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade (a blue wash) and then brought them back up to Ulthuan Grey leaving the shade in the recesses,

Welp, guess I should stop volunteering to a friend with really poor eye sigh to paint his future White Scars army then. :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

krushgroove posted:

It's the same as a Patrio 150, but siphon feed instead of gravity...so it will outlast all your hobby painting needs. Try to have a spare needle on hand in case you bump it or drop it, the needle is pretty exposed.

Sweet. Can you tell me if the fine tip works well? So far I'm really enjoying the brush excepting the fact that it sort of backwashes paint into the next pot. I don't much care for that aspect. I assume there's some trick to preventing that though, like keeping a jar full of water or something to use between functional jars.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You should be running cleaner or at least water through between colours whatever kind of brush you are using

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah always flush it through! I haven't tried the fine needle in the Patriot, but if you do get it make sure you always use the correct tip with it, otherwise you'll have bad leaks and lots of trouble.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

You should be running cleaner or at least water through between colours whatever kind of brush you are using

Yeah, I've been running cleaner through it after each color. The reason I noticed the paint is because my bottle of cleaner now has some green at the bottom.

krushgroove posted:

Yeah always flush it through! I haven't tried the fine needle in the Patriot, but if you do get it make sure you always use the correct tip with it, otherwise you'll have bad leaks and lots of trouble.

That's the thing, the Anthem doesn't have a fine needle, it just has different heads using the same size needle. Supposedly the needle is designed for this.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its the same as the patriot, the fine conversion kit is a tip and a needle

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh I guess I misread all the literature. I do see multiple needle types on dick blick. :doh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've painted up a combat squad of Scouts with sniper rifles. These models are leagues better than the plastics, even if the poses are kinda limited. The sergeant has the little red skull on his Ultima, and the squad is the first in the 10th company. I'll need to go back and add squad markings to my other Scouts later:

I also painted up the Rhino for the first tactical squad, and this one I DID manage to get the rails on!

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!

Pacheeco posted:

Nothing (as far as I can tell) other than you won't get that drill bit until some time between July and September. Also there's no info on what size those Warstore magnets are.

Ah. But otherwise, for pin vises, a drill bit is a drill bit is a drill bit as long as it's the right size to fit?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

I've collected together an orc Blood Bowl team. This guy is a quick test of the colour scheme. I'm not sure what I think. The plan was to contrast a bright yellow with duller browns and greys in order to walk the line between 'uniform' and 'general thrown-together orcyness', but I'm worried the brown and grey is just a bit uninspired. The metal isn't doing much for me either.

I like the yellow and I like the skin and I feel a whole team painted up like this (though a little neater and finished off properly) would look pretty good but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to really make them ballin', I'd appreciate it. More yellow? Less yellow? Darker? Lighter? Another colour?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I think it looks great - I like the pink at the finger joints and stuff like that. Maybe all it needs are some freehanded insignias or jersey (jerkin?) numbers to make it clearer they're football players and not tiny warjacks. How about a contrasting color lightning bolt or something on the left shoulder?

I'm really going to have to try doing the nose/ears/lips like that, though, I think that's something I'm missing on my own dudes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think your Orc looks good too - the yellow is just enough to draw the attention to the face and upper body. Anything more, especially more yellow below the waist would be asking for trouble.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tenterhooks posted:

Football orc
Looks great, maybe a number painted on the back/shoulderpad? and some weathering, and he's good to go.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
oh god i finished my 1st vendetta

That took me a loving month. But I only have to do one more.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK I'm gonna ask. Is anyone here both highly experienced with different paint types AND a user of Minitaire paint? I'm trying to figure out exactly what the issue is with this stuff. It just has so many weird properties. If you are an experienced painter but have not used it but would be happy to analyze a sample for me send me a PM.

So far, I've used Citadel, Privateer Press, Reaper, Reaper HD, VMA Metallics, and Minitaire. I can report the following:

* It pools up like water on treated glass if you paint Minitaire over VMA metallics
* Unless you apply a ridiculously thin coat, it pools in recesses almost like an ink. No other paint I know does this quite like Minitaire
* If left alone, some of the colors will separate. For instance I have to take a paint mixer to my bottle of Lust Pink every time I want to use it because the white part of it falls to the bottom. Other colors have other pigments I wouldn't even expect to be part of the color do the same thing.
* Shaking the paint up creates foam at the top of it faster than other paints I've tried.
* It dries to a candy gloss finish
* If you paint it on really thin, it dries fine. If you paint it at all thick, it just gets tacky, like PVA almost. I wear nitrile gloves when I paint, and the paint comes off on those gloves.

I don't really know wtf is going on with this paint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Ghost Tints have a candy gloss finish, are using those? For the mixing, I drop a faceted glass bead (bought a pack of 200 off ebay) in each bottle when I open it, that helps get the pigment up off the bottom and mix. But I've had Vallejo paints and primers separate too, so that's no biggie. The Ghost Tints do bubble/froth but I haven't had any issue with that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tenterhooks posted:

I've collected together an orc Blood Bowl team. This guy is a quick test of the colour scheme. I'm not sure what I think. The plan was to contrast a bright yellow with duller browns and greys in order to walk the line between 'uniform' and 'general thrown-together orcyness', but I'm worried the brown and grey is just a bit uninspired. The metal isn't doing much for me either.

I like the yellow and I like the skin and I feel a whole team painted up like this (though a little neater and finished off properly) would look pretty good but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to really make them ballin', I'd appreciate it. More yellow? Less yellow? Darker? Lighter? Another colour?

This guy looks great! The only thing I could really think of to improve it is some black on the shoulderpad - a player number, checkerboard, or flames or something could look really good there. Even without that, it's a great paintjob.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

krushgroove posted:

The Ghost Tints have a candy gloss finish, are using those? For the mixing, I drop a faceted glass bead (bought a pack of 200 off ebay) in each bottle when I open it, that helps get the pigment up off the bottom and mix. But I've had Vallejo paints and primers separate too, so that's no biggie. The Ghost Tints do bubble/froth but I haven't had any issue with that.

I airbrushed Envy Green yesterday. SUPER shiny. I'll get some glass beads though that's a good idea.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Hey everyone, I figured I'd cross post this here since I've only got paints left. My SAMart thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645870&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post431420032. I've got a bunch of Vallejo paint I'm looking to give a goon a good deal on.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

I have a question about the way you paint these guys. I love the intense black you have in the recesses between armour panels. Is that done with a wash or are you painting over black and leaving the recesses to show through?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Speckled Jim posted:

I have a question about the way you paint these guys. I love the intense black you have in the recesses between armour panels. Is that done with a wash or are you painting over black and leaving the recesses to show through?

My models are primed with Army Painter's Crystal Blue then given a pretty healthy wash of Drakenhof Nightshade or whatever the blue wash is called, before bringing it back up to blue and leaving the shade in the recesses. It might look a little darker in the photos because of the white balance, but it's kind of my go to technique for painting power armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

SRM posted:

My models are primed with Army Painter's Crystal Blue then given a pretty healthy wash of Drakenhof Nightshade or whatever the blue wash is called, before bringing it back up to blue and leaving the shade in the recesses. It might look a little darker in the photos because of the white balance, but it's kind of my go to technique for painting power armor.

It looks great! I mean everything looks great, but that part just catches my eye.

• Locked thread