Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

vOv posted:

Wait, which card was this dude saying would replace Verdict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Bugsy posted:

Another bad looking FNM promo (Sept)

I like this card art simply because that Manticore(ore Chimera? I can't tell) just has a look like this big ol Light Stake is a minor rose thorn on his paw or something.

But yeah I feel like M15 is the first core set that I've actually been kind of excited about because of all the stuff in it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I like this card art simply because that Manticore(ore Chimera? I can't tell) just has a look like this big ol Light Stake is a minor rose thorn on his paw or something.

"H-Hey! What the hell, dude?!"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OneDeadman posted:

But yeah I feel like M15 is the first core set that I've actually been kind of excited about because of all the stuff in it.

I absolutely agree, cores used to be so bland, but in so doing aren't they diminishing the core set's role as a beginner-friendly set?

Maybe they realized the blandness made them unattractive to new and old alike. I certainly had no interest in them when I was getting started. But to be honest, 50% of that may have lied in the border color.

Or are the new core sets not that much more complicated than the old ones? e:I think they are.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

It's actually the only card in standard besides Pithing Needle that stuffs Caryatid.

Only card, unless we count something like Anger of the Gods or being able to flicker Lavinia of the Tenth.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're counting Anger of the Gods there's always overloaded Mizzium Mortars!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

I absolutely agree, cores used to be so bland, but in so doing aren't they diminishing the core set's role as a beginner-friendly set?

Maybe they realized the blandness made them unattractive to new and old alike. I certainly had no interest in them when I was getting started. But to be honest, 50% of that may have lied in the border color.

Or are the new core sets not that much more complicated than the old ones? e:I think they are.

M15 has more going on than recent core sets, definitely, and core sets in general have more going on in them than they did before M10. They've gotten better in recent years at targeting 'beginner-friendly' stuff at common, since that's the bulk of the cards a beginning player sees. On top of that, they have an actual good entry-point for beginning players in the Duels of the Planeswalkers video games.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

With the new torpor orb bird, do you think hatebears could be a legitimate deck in standard? With eidolon of Rhetoric, Spirit of the labyrinth, imposing sovereign, revoker and such.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Samael posted:

With the new torpor orb bird, do you think hatebears could be a legitimate deck in standard? With eidolon of Rhetoric, Spirit of the labyrinth, imposing sovereign, revoker and such.

Even with a critical mass of hatebears, I don't think there's enough hateable stuff going on in Standard to make a deck like that good.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Even with a critical mass of hatebears, I don't think there's enough hateable stuff going on in Standard to make a deck like that good.

Okay, just wondering. Back to brewing Soldier Tribal I guess. Post rotation standard is going to be a lot of fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

New Jace is going to be a cool bro in Mono Blue Devotion. His plus isn't exactly card drawing but it's pretty close to a Scry 1.5 and his minus lets you deal with annoying permanents temporarily or even has interesting lines of play like letting you reset Master of Waves for a larger number of tokens than the first cast.

It's also potentially interesting in a BUG shell but MY SECRET BREW

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

New Jace is going to be a cool bro in Mono Blue Devotion. His plus isn't exactly card drawing but it's pretty close to a Scry 1.5 and his minus lets you deal with annoying permanents temporarily or even has interesting lines of play like letting you reset Master of Waves for a larger number of tokens than the first cast.

It's also potentially interesting in a BUG shell but MY SECRET BREW

But there are master of waves and bident of thassa in that 4 slot, do you want to really put a mediocre planeswalker in there too?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

But there are master of waves and bident of thassa in that 4 slot, do you want to really put a mediocre planeswalker in there too?

No this was all a clever ploy.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

No this was all a clever ploy.

I'm sorry for crushing your dreams. :( I think the only thing good about him is his high loyalty.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I think whether or not the new Jace turns out to be any good is going to depend on how often the bounce effect represents a tempo advantage. Since it's a -3 ability on a planeswalker who has a single not-that-great +1 ability, the bar for that is really high. On top of that, the fact that between Theros and M15 there are (rough estimate) one million different anthem effects suggests to me that post-rotation Standard might see a lot of weenie decks, where a targeted bounce effect is very bad.

If you can cast it into a giant creature or a high-loyalty planeswalker consistently, and gain advantage from that, I could see wanting it. Otherwise you're almost always going to want to rush the ultimate (which is strong, to be fair).

Conceivably it could be really good at, like, bouncing your own Revokers or Banishing Lights, too. I don't think that's worth a card on its own, though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think whether or not the new Jace turns out to be any good is going to depend on how often the bounce effect represents a tempo advantage. Since it's a -3 ability on a planeswalker who has a single not-that-great +1 ability, the bar for that is really high. On top of that, the fact that between Theros and M15 there are (rough estimate) one million different anthem effects suggests to me that post-rotation Standard might see a lot of weenie decks, where a targeted bounce effect is very bad.

If you can cast it into a giant creature or a high-loyalty planeswalker consistently, and gain advantage from that, I could see wanting it. Otherwise you're almost always going to want to rush the ultimate (which is strong, to be fair).

Conceivably it could be really good at, like, bouncing your own Revokers or Banishing Lights, too. I don't think that's worth a card on its own, though.

It bounces Detention Sphere. For a turn. Which you might be able to counter the next time around. Also, clears counters off a desecration demon.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 27, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Banisher Priest Sliver!
It looks like it's just a vanilla body unless you have other slivers though, right?

I don't think anyone answered this, but no, it's not. It says "Sliver creatures you control", which includes himself, similar to how Harmonic Sliver works.

Count Bleck posted:

Turns out goons aren't the only ones that are bad at card evaluation.

Also why is nobody talking about Phyrexian Revoker in our Theros/Khans standard?

I can see people evaluating new cards badly (from back in the day with Necropotence), but how can someone say "it's a bad card" when it's an actual Legacy staple? I'm pretty sure the people making Legacy decks know better than a random Greek dude at least. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Something I don't think I've seen anyone mention is that it's not impossible for the fact that new-Jace bins a card (as opposed to "just" scrying) to be relevant. Most of the graveyard synergy decks, reanimator or dredge, want their enablers to cost less and work faster, but it's not impossible that we could see him used for value in this fashion if M15 + Khans yield the tools for an incremental graveyard value deck that has blue in it.

e: Okay, one person mentioned flashback. I doubt flashback per se will be coming back, but if there's anything along those lines...

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 27, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

kizudarake posted:

It bounces Detention Sphere.

Yeah, I read the card. How often is forcing them to recast the Detention Sphere going to be a winning play, though? You could wring a Planeswalker activation out of it, or you could wait a turn and try to get them to recast it into a counterspell... those are pretty marginal plays.

JerryLee posted:

Something I don't think I've seen anyone mention is that it's not impossible for the fact that new-Jace bins a card (as opposed to "just" scrying) to be relevant. Most of the graveyard synergy decks, reanimator or dredge, want their enablers to cost less and work faster, but it's not impossible that we could see him used for value in this fashion if M15 + Khans yield the tools for an incremental graveyard value deck that has blue in it.

Let's be real, here: Think Twice should just be in every set, in the Divination slot.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Looking at the new M15 cards, I think there may be a decent Soldier tribal deck to be made centered around Preeminent Captain, Raise the Alarm, and Obelisk of Urd. I can post the list I came up with if anyone cares, but getting out Obelisk regularly on T3 with T1 creature, T2 Raise the Alarm seems pretty great, and bringing out dudes like Arrester, Brimaz, Precinct Captain, or Paragon with Preeminent Captain is just insane. Swarming the board with dudes that quickly get huge seems like something I wanna do.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Torpor Orb Gryff is a cool card

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

Looking at the new M15 cards, I think there may be a decent Soldier tribal deck to be made centered around Preeminent Captain, Raise the Alarm, and Obelisk of Urd. I can post the list I came up with if anyone cares, but getting out Obelisk regularly on T3 with T1 creature, T2 Raise the Alarm seems pretty great, and bringing out dudes like Arrester, Brimaz, Precinct Captain, or Paragon with Preeminent Captain is just insane. Swarming the board with dudes that quickly get huge seems like something I wanna do.

I would like the list, personally I am going to go azorius and play lavinia at the top of my curve :)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Samael posted:

I would like the list, personally I am going to go azorius and play lavinia at the top of my curve :)

Lavinia actually seems pretty good. I personally went the Boros route so I could jam 4 Boros Charms in the deck as a concession to Supreme Verdict, and because the double strike can be relevant with your dudes getting bigger.

My list so far:
3 Obelisk of Urd
3 Paragon of New Dawns
3 Azorius Arrester
2 Boros Elite
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Dryad Militant
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Precinct Captain
4 Boros Charm
2 Brave the Elements
4 Raise the Alarm

4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
9 Plains

Not sure about the sideboard yet but Spark Trooper and Aegis of the Gods are both soldiers, so they seem like possible choices.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

Lavinia actually seems pretty good. I personally went the Boros route so I could jam 4 Boros Charms in the deck as a concession to Supreme Verdict, and because the double strike can be relevant with your dudes getting bigger.

My list so far:
3 Obelisk of Urd
3 Paragon of New Dawns
3 Azorius Arrester
2 Boros Elite
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Dryad Militant
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Precinct Captain
4 Boros Charm
2 Brave the Elements
4 Raise the Alarm

4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
9 Plains

Not sure about the sideboard yet but Spark Trooper and Aegis of the Gods are both soldiers, so they seem like possible choices.

Well, azorius also has ephara for card advantage, also works well with raise the alarm, brimaz, precinct captain, all the token makers and go more midrange, that was my thought.

also, where is launch the fleet?

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 27, 2014

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Boros Battleshaper seems like a good target to cheat in

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jace 5: the Jacening would have been awesome in a Flashback set, but even without much of anything around that cares about your graveyard, the +1 is sort of like a repeatable Scry 1-and-a-half-ish, which is nothing to scoff at. All the abilities are useful, the Ultimate isn't "I win now regardless of what the boardstate was" like some are, but it's utterly brutal in a control mirror.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it took me a second to realize the drawing 7 isn't symmetrical.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Jace 5: the Jacening would have been awesome in a Flashback set, but even without much of anything around that cares about your graveyard, the +1 is sort of like a repeatable Scry 1-and-a-half-ish, which is nothing to scoff at. All the abilities are useful, the Ultimate isn't "I win now regardless of what the boardstate was" like some are, but it's utterly brutal in a control mirror.

I like how Ajani's ultimate basically says "You're probably going to deck out before you kill me."

Personally the most exciting news for me is that they reprinted Chandra, Pyromaster. Now let's just hope that red can take advantage of what she offers in Theros/Tarkir standard.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah it took me a second to realize the drawing 7 isn't symmetrical.

Jace, President of Ravnica makes his own rules! :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

He seems really strong to me. 6 loyalty for 4 mana is great and the bounce can take care of a lot of annoyances. I think every rev deck will be playing him during super standard.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Minor quibble, but I like how Jace's +1 helps your card quality by letting you dump unwanted cards in the 'yard, then his ultimate shuffles them all back in. :downs:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Barring graveyard synergies via flashback/reanimator strategies, new Jace seems absolutely terrible except as a pseudo-replacement for Memory Adept in control sideboards for the mirror.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Barring graveyard synergies via flashback/reanimator strategies, new Jace seems absolutely terrible except as a pseudo-replacement for Memory Adept in control sideboards for the mirror.

The only thing we've figured it might be okay for is a 1-of to bounce things, mostly your own other planeswalkers so you can activate-bounce-cast-activate for fun times.

Not the best.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

En Fuego posted:

The only thing we've figured it might be okay for is a 1-of to bounce things, mostly your own other planeswalkers so you can activate-bounce-cast-activate for fun times.

Not the best.

Use new ajani to put loyalty counters on all your walkers, bounce him, cast and reactivate ajani, then ultimate elspeth.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pseudo-scry and a bounce ability are probably ok. I wouldn't call this jace bad quite yet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Pseudo-scry and a bounce ability are probably ok. I wouldn't call this jace bad quite yet.

Pseudo-scry, and he starts at 5 Loyalty. Just cast him, and keep pseudo-scrying until it's ult time. I can see him being played in any deck that can protect him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

endlessmonotony posted:

Pseudo-scry, and he starts at 5 Loyalty. Just cast him, and keep pseudo-scrying until it's ult time. I can see him being played in any deck that can protect him.

Yeah, one-sided timetwister is pretty good if you can get to it, and srying every turn will help you get to it. He's not as good as Architect of Thought but he'll see play.

If his +1 actually drew you the card he'd be nuts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eej posted:

If you're counting Anger of the Gods there's always overloaded Mizzium Mortars!

Don't forget about Glaring Spotlight! :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All of you people posting like Top Tier Control Card Codex Shredder doesn't exist.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Commons and uncommons.

Chronostutter 5U
Instant (C)
Put target creature into its owner's library second from the top.
Timing is everything.

Nimbus of the Isles 4U
Creature - Elemental (C)
Flying
The people of the Sevick Isles have a unique understanding of the term "ominous clouds."
3/3

Research Assistant 1U
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
3U, T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
There are many words and phrases that can cause an experienced wizard to tremble in fear. Chief among them is "oops."
1/3

Festergloom 2B
Sorcery (C)
Nonblack creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
The death of a scout can be as informative as a safe return.

Borderland Marauder 1R
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
When borderland Marauder attacks, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Though she is rightly feared, there are relatively few tales of her deeds in battle, for few survive her raids.
1/2

Shaman of Spring 3G
Creature - Elf Shaman (C)
When Shaman of Spring enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Some shamanic sects advocate the different seasons, each working to preserve nature's cycles.
2/2

Krenko's Enforcer 1RR
Creature - Goblin Warrior (Common)
Intimidate
2/2

Kapsho Kitefins 4UU
Creature - Fish (Uncommon)
Flying
Whenever ~ or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, tap target creature an opponent controls.
3/3

Mind Sculpt get reprinted, Gravedigger goes to uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Nimbus of the Isles 4U
Creature - Elemental (C)
Flying
The people of the Sevick Isles have a unique understanding of the term "ominous clouds."
3/3

I guess the one exception to creatures being better than they used to be is that Phantom Monster stats are too good for sub-rare these days.

• Locked thread