Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Imagine having to rely on Kolo Toure to take a penalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Intergortion posted:

Imagine having to rely on Kolo Toure to take a penalty

The best part is that he still goes before Gervinho, an actual forward, because everyone knows that Gervinho will miss.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
you let your best penalty takers go first and last. the weaker ones somewhere in the middle

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What does MDT mean?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Slaapaav posted:

you let your best penalty takers go first and last. the weaker ones somewhere in the middle

Unless the manager had some supreme clairvoyant abilities I'm not sure he was holding Gervinho back as one of the best when he put him 9th on the penalty takers list.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

World Cup finals have been decided on penalties - 2006 and 1994 were.

After 5 penalties each they become "sudden death", so the first time a player misses and the other team score, the game is over.

It just keeps looping round the teams until there's a winner. No idea what the longest ever is - I remember the African cup of nations final in 2012 definitely reached 9 or 10 each. That's worth watching as one of the best penalty shoot-outs ever.

/edit: Here, these penalties are quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upE-HJ-1pJU

The U21 semi final between Germany and England I believe looped around almost twice. 21 penalties each.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Windu posted:

What does MDT mean?

Matchday Thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Darth Windu posted:

What does MDT mean?

Matchday thread. The Suarez thread is a joke.

E: hey there autocorrect

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 27, 2014

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Darth Windu posted:

What does MDT mean?

Match day thread

E: hey there efb

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Match day thread

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

tbp posted:

Match day thread

where is it??? i cant see one

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Slaapaav posted:

best goes 4th or 1st, second best takes the other. 4th is the most important penalty and every manager will know this as they hire retarded stats guys.

4th has the most pressure, 1st is most important for team spirit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
An example of a really really bad penalty shoot out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo33UJ0U8w

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Spangly A posted:

best goes 4th or 1st, second best takes the other. 4th is the most important penalty and every manager will know this as they hire retarded stats guys.

4th has the most pressure, 1st is most important for team spirit.

Maybe Portugal should've hired one of these retarded stat guys 2 years ago, instead of letting Bruno Alves take the deciding penalty.

Also the best penalty shootout ever is the Portugal vs England from 2004. Beckham missed it, Ricardo defends without gloves on and then takes the final shot. Greatest match ever.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Match Day Thread.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you. Thank you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My favorite penalty is the one where the goalkeeper got red carded and so the center fullback had to put on the jersey and try to defend the penalty.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

the posted:

My favorite penalty is the one where the goalkeeper got red carded and so the center fullback had to put on the jersey and try to defend the penalty.

You mean either centre-back or fullback here OP.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
central defender?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

the posted:

central defender?

I guess that works, but in a formation with 4 at the back, the two center backs are the "central defenders" and the fullbacks are the dudes to their left and right.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Didi Hamann took & converted the first penalty for Liverpool in Istanbul with a broken foot. Germans man.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Finn posted:

Didi Hamann took & converted the first penalty for Liverpool in Istanbul with a broken foot. Germans man.

I think Fabregas also did this for Arsenal that one time when he came on as a sub, won the game, then broke his leg and got subbed off again.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
if soccer was as big here in the states... as it is around the world.... we would be one of the top dawgs...

our country breeds athletes.. you can deny it all you want but take Germany for example... they have three guys over 6'3" and they're vicious

so this whole derp it'd be herrrd to dribble business is idiotic... seriously... if you think because a guy is tall he can't dribble a ball we have nothing to talk about because you're dumb.. sorry.

if a super athlete like julio jones... who was a stud in almost every sport in HS....was trained to play soccer and stuck with it... he would be an ace

but the fact remains, here in the states there's no money in professional sports. till that day it's only a theory or speculation. but i have no doubt in my mind that if we had a history of soccer/football like the rest of the world it'd be no question we would mess everyone up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't troll in this thread

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Brony Car posted:

if soccer was as big here in the states... as it is around the world.... we would be one of the top dawgs...

our country breeds athletes.. you can deny it all you want but take Germany for example... they have three guys over 6'3" and they're vicious

so this whole derp it'd be herrrd to dribble business is idiotic... seriously... if you think because a guy is tall he can't dribble a ball we have nothing to talk about because you're dumb.. sorry.

if a super athlete like julio jones... who was a stud in almost every sport in HS....was trained to play soccer and stuck with it... he would be an ace

but the fact remains, here in the states there's no money in professional sports. till that day it's only a theory or speculation. but i have no doubt in my mind that if we had a history of soccer/football like the rest of the world it'd be no question we would mess everyone up.

Please post this in the correct thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

You can do better than this, Tychan.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

lol at this whole post but especially at describing Mertesacker as vicious

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why aren't there any matches today? Is this some kind of joke?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Why aren't there any matches today? Is this some kind of joke?

Ireland's league is playing!!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Ireland's league is playing!!

So you're saying it is a joke.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
MLS is also playing today.

So yes, jokes

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

vyelkin posted:

I think Fabregas also did this for Arsenal that one time when he came on as a sub, won the game, then broke his leg and got subbed off again.

This was my favourite recent penalty because it was against Barcelona. Fabregas is a proper hardman.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What's up with the super lax enforcement of the out of bounds line? In American sports, we become old men as officials spend what feels like hours looking at the slow-mo replay to determine if a ball/player went out of bounds.

I just saw a play where a bouncing cross went over the head of it's intended target and the defender, but the defender picked it out of the air with his hands for the throw-in before it actually hit the ground. Is this just a gentlemens agreement to speed up the game?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 28, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What's up with the super lax enforcement of the out of bounds line? In American sports, we become old men as officials spend what feels like hours looking at the slow-mo replay to determine if a ball/player went out of bounds. But I just saw a play where a bouncing cross went over the head of it's intended target and the defender, but the defender picked it out of the air with his hands for the throw-in before it actually hit the ground. Is this just a gentlemens agreement to speed up the game?

Are you sure this defender wasn't the goalkeeper?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What's up with the super lax enforcement of the out of bounds line? In American sports, we become old men as officials spend what feels like hours looking at the slow-mo replay to determine if a ball/player went out of bounds. But I just saw a play where a bouncing cross went over the head of it's intended target and the defender, but the defender picked it out of the air with his hands for the throw-in before it actually hit the ground. Is this just a gentlemens agreement to speed up the game?

the ball was out of play when he caught it, if it hadn't been it would be handball and a free kick to the opposition, and very likely a booking. it doesn't have to touch the ground outside the field of play, as long as the whole ball is over the line it's out.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How come Chicharito comes off the bench for Mexico when he's good enough to play for Man U? Is the experience of the guys who start at his position that much more important than his raw talent and scoring ability?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

How come Chicharito comes off the bench for Mexico when he's good enough to play for Man U? Is the experience of the guys who start at his position that much more important than his raw talent and scoring ability?

I dont think he played very well for United last season did he? Certainly didnt get the goals.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

the ball was out of play when he caught it, if it hadn't been it would be handball and a free kick to the opposition, and very likely a booking. it doesn't have to touch the ground outside the field of play, as long as the whole ball is over the line it's out.

So when the ball is over the line, players can't reach over to kick it back in play a la Dennis Rodman flying into the stands?

The play in question was in today's Brazil Chile game. The ball wasn't egregiously over the line. It was a slow, high bounce and both players were in position to gain control of it, but the Brazilian simply grabbed it out the air and proceeded with the throw in as if it touched the ground out of bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So when the ball is over the line, players can't reach over to kick it back in play a la Dennis Rodman flying into the stands?

The play in question was in today's Brazil Chile game. The ball wasn't egregiously over the line. It was a slow, high bounce and both players were in position to gain control of it, but the Brazilian simply grabbed it out the air and proceeded with the throw in as if it touched the ground out of bounds.

yeah i saw it, it was out of play. as i said the ball doesnt have to touch the ground, it's considered out of play as soon as the whole ball is over the line, no matter where it is when that occurs.

• Locked thread