Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's that it's not magical advertising that makes people drink beer other people look down on.

Why do they bother advertising?

Edit: Oh I see this point has already been made:

BerkerkLurk posted:

I just called up Anheuser-Busch and told them advertising doesn't matter, they have the Platonic ideal of beers anyways, so for saving them over a billion dollars they gave me an old Zima wind-breaker they had lying around.

Some hilarious quotes from NIDA's Nora Voklow

quote:

Pot Scientists Brace for Marijuana Abuse as Laws Ease

“I’m open to the data, that’s why we do research,” she said in an interview. “But based on what I’ve seen, I predict that it’s going to be negative and we’re going to be in a position of trying to deal with the consequences.”

“We’re trying to do what interventions we can do now because we don’t want to wait until it’s proven harmful,” Volkow said. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-06-19/pot-scientists-brace-for-marijuana-meltdown-as-laws-ease#p1

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

KingEup posted:

I strongly suspect, but have no evidence, that many national companies' advertising budgets have a lot more to do with meeting shareholder expectations or building personal prestige (potentially even just straight up cronyism with a friendly agency) than actual evidence that they are getting a return on investment for their advertising dollars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On the topic, decriminalization is moving forward here in Delaware. The original idea was that it would be legal to possess up to an ounce for people over 21. That got watered down to $250 civil penalty and confiscation. It's still some incremental progress! If it actually happens, of course.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Yes, captain obvious, I'm pretty sure we all know that a variety of factors play into the beer and taco preferences of Americans! The point I'm trying to make you autistic gently caress is that you are taking an off hand comment about a tangentially related topic at best and making it the focal point of the god drat thread in your effort to make sure that everyone is aware that you are right and that other dude is wrong. So, like, so what if microbrewery beer is no better or worse than macrobrewery beer for whatever objective standard of quality that you want to use. Who the gently caress caaaaaaares? It doesn't have jack poo poo to do with drug legalization.

A hipster lamented that federal legalization would lead to "big pot" cutting down on strain variety or something. It was silly. This led us on a journey to the heart of hipsterism itself.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

KingEup posted:

Edit: Oh I see this point has already been made:

Some hilarious quotes from NIDA's Nora Voklow

Who's related to Trotsky, apparently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rscott posted:

Yes, captain obvious, I'm pretty sure we all know that a variety of factors play into the beer and taco preferences of Americans! The point I'm trying to make you autistic gently caress is that you are taking an off hand comment about a tangentially related topic at best and making it the focal point of the god drat thread in your effort to make sure that everyone is aware that you are right and that other dude is wrong. So, like, so what if microbrewery beer is no better or worse than macrobrewery beer for whatever objective standard of quality that you want to use. Who the gently caress caaaaaaares? It doesn't have jack poo poo to do with drug legalization.

It's weird how you think it's ok to admit you haven't read a thread, the way you just did. No one cares about your metldown though, that's for sure.

SedanChair posted:

A hipster lamented that federal legalization would lead to "big pot" cutting down on strain variety or something. It was silly. This led us on a journey to the heart of hipsterism itself.

Pretty much yeah.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Looks like NY is finally going to get its feet wet with medical marijuana!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/nyregion/new-york-medical-marijuana-deal.html?_r=0

quote:

ALBANY — Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and legislative leaders announced an agreement on Thursday for a pilot program to provide access to marijuana to sick New Yorkers, making the state one of the largest to embrace the drug’s use as medicine.

The announcement came after days of intense negotiations between the Legislature and Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, who had proffered a more restrictive system earlier this year that was roundly criticized as unworkable for thousands of potential patients.

The new agreement included a major demand of the Cuomo administration: that no smoking of the drug would be permitted, though a variety of other options — including edibles and tinctures — would be. Patients would also be allowed to inhale if the drug was vaporized, similar to e-cigarettes.

“There are certainly significant medical benefits that can be garnered; at the same time, it’s a difficult issue because there are also risks that have to be averted,” Mr. Cuomo said, mentioning safety and law enforcement concerns. “We believe this bill strikes the right balance.”

The State Health Department would oversee the program, which would contain a provision to “pull the plug” on it at any time, Mr. Cuomo said. He called that necessary to protect public health and public safety, adding that it “increases my comfort level a great deal.”

A small number of diseases would qualify patients for medical use, including AIDS, cancer, epilepsy and several serious degenerative conditions.

The department would have up to 18 months to establish regulations governing medical marijuana, such as identifying the entities permitted to dispense it, though it is possible that doctors may be trained and allowed to recommend the drug before then. Initially, five organizations — both businesses and nonprofits — would be allowed to dispense marijuana, each at up to four locations around the state. The drug would be grown in New York and sales of it would be taxed at 7 percent.

More than 20 states now allow patients access to marijuana as a palliative to counter the effects of treatment like chemotherapy, or to alleviate symptoms like seizures. Most allow smoking, but Mr. Cuomo had made it clear that would not be permitted.

Lawmakers who fought for the bill said the compromise was in the best interests of patients, particularly children for whom the drug could provide relief.

“You can’t stand in the way, because there’s other delivery methods that are effective,” said State Senator Diane J. Savino, a Democrat who represents parts of Staten Island and Brooklyn and who is the sponsor of that chamber’s bill. Ms. Savino added that the governor “gave a lot of that we wanted.”

The Assembly has passed bills in support of medical marijuana five times, most recently in May, only to see the measures die in the Senate, where Republicans were cool to the idea.

In recent weeks, however, several Republicans joined Democrats in voicing support for Ms. Savino’s bill.

On Thursday, parents and other supporters — including some with children in wheelchairs, and others visibly with degenerative conditions — pleaded for the bill’s passage. “Please pass this act,” said one parent, Tim Emerson, whose 7-year-old daughter, Julia, has epilepsy. “Please help our kids.”

Despite acknowledging its emotional pull, Mr. Cuomo said that he was wary of allowing marijuana to become too widely or too easily available. In recent days he said he feared that it was “a gateway drug,” and observed that the state was already dealing with a resurgence of heroin use.

On Thursday, however, Mr. Cuomo seemed to hold out the possibility that adjustments could be made by the Health Department in the future to allow for changing circumstances, including an increased need for the drug.

“It’s a knob: You can turn it up, you can turn it down,” he said, by tinkering with the number of dispensaries or diseases for which treatment with marijuana is permitted.

The bill also contains a clause that would end the program in seven years unless lawmakers reauthorize it.

Supporters of the drug’s medical use hailed the agreement as a step forward, while criticizing the absence of smoking among the permitted ways of administering marijuana. Some supporters say that smoking the drug allows for a greater degree of control over dosage.

“New York has finally done something significant for thousands of patients who are suffering and need relief now,” said Gabriel Sayegh, the New York director of the Drug Policy Alliance, which lobbies for more liberal drug laws. But he added, “The decision about the mode of administration for any medication should be left up to doctors and their patients.”

As for the possibility that the program might be shut down by the governor — or future governors — at any time, Ms. Savino said the tight “seed-to-sale” controls over the program would make such a move highly unlikely.

“That will never happen,” she said.

What's Cuomo's deal anyhow? Seems like he doesn't want to be unpopular because of being opposed to medical marijuana but wants to have his fingers firmly around the throat of the program so he can quietly strangle it when nobody's looking. That and he's concerned about "allowing" marijuana becoming too widely available as a result of a medical marijuana program because of how available heroin is becoming... let that soak in for a minute or two.

Spoondick fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 20, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeffrey posted:

How are you defining quality?

Yes, quality is indeed a hard thing to pin down. Food magazines? Yelp? Urban spoon? Food critics? It's really a challenge in differentiating quality, that elusive concept, between your local organic free range steakhouse and a Taco Bell. The meat all tastes the same, whatever, just get a steak gordito supreme. Steak is steak.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Politicians are increasingly finding themselves in a nebulous grey area of cannabis legalization where growing support makes full decriminalization seems inevitable but big, important voting blocks are still scared shitless of the stuff. The awkward years for a politician where the subtle differences in local support for legalization could mean the difference between winning and losing an election.

Prepare to see years of political waffling as people like Cuomo desperately try to walk both sides of the issue: supporting decriminalization efforts as much as they think they can while going out of their way to ensure old people that they will keep this "gateway drug" out of the hands of kids. I'm looking forward to when it makes its way to the national presidential debates (if not 2016 then 2020) and some candidate supports legalization while opposing it in the same breath.

SedanChair posted:

Just like big alcohol cutting down on beer and spirits variety...oh wait.

cheese fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 20, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

I strongly suspect, but have no evidence, that many national companies' advertising budgets have a lot more to do with meeting shareholder expectations or building personal prestige (potentially even just straight up cronyism with a friendly agency) than actual evidence that they are getting a return on investment for their advertising dollars.

Advertising absolutely works, but the specific mechanism and the scope of impact is debatable. It's an ignorant person that thinks it's just a show for the share holders.

Anyway, I have 300+ distinct beers on untappd and none of those include Bud/Coors/etc. So if the weed industry ends up like that, I think everything will be just fine.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Advertising absolutely works, but the specific mechanism and the scope of impact is debatable. It's an ignorant person that thinks it's just a show for the share holders.
Are you going to present some evidence to the contrary? As far as I'm concerned the default belief should clearly be "We don't have any reason to believe that a 1 billion dollar advertising budget results in at least 1 billion dollars of sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise", since while advertising does sometimes work, it certainly doesn't always. Especially considering we know executives are often motivated by stock prices, and that the stock market is just a Keynesian beauty contest.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
This should probably go here for whoever it was arguing a couple days ago that the war was over. A 19 year old is facing 99 years in prison for selling pot brownies in Texas.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/06/20/texas-teenager-faces-99-years-over-pot-b?videoId=316488344&videoChannel=1

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

KernelSlanders posted:

This should probably go here for whoever it was arguing a couple days ago that the war was over. A 19 year old is facing 99 years in prison for selling pot brownies in Texas.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/06/20/texas-teenager-faces-99-years-over-pot-b?videoId=316488344&videoChannel=1

He's white and has a media fuss around him, he'll be fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KernelSlanders posted:

Gotta know the laws, hash brownies are a life sentence in Texas but weed brownies carry little penalty.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Spoondick posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/nyregion/new-york-medical-marijuana-deal.html?_r=0

What's Cuomo's deal anyhow? Seems like he doesn't want to be unpopular because of being opposed to medical marijuana but wants to have his fingers firmly around the throat of the program so he can quietly strangle it when nobody's looking. That and he's concerned about "allowing" marijuana becoming too widely available as a result of a medical marijuana program because of how available heroin is becoming... let that soak in for a minute or two.

He's up for reelection. Even though he's got it practically in the bag I bet he wants to look like he's compromising. He's really shown DARE levels of knowledge with this no smoking, gateway drug poo poo.
Regardless of what anyone says I would not be surprised if he finds a BS reason to lynch it after he gets reelected.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Gotta know the laws, hash brownies are a life sentence in Texas but weed brownies carry little penalty.

But weed and hash are the same thing :signings:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Spoondick posted:

Cuomo's looking to be re-elected since he's going up against an ok GOP candidate and a farther left working families candidate. Bread for the plebs.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Another committee hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGRNzlZkyZg

quote:

Rep. Connolly: “Right now, NIDA has a monopoly on the production of marijuana to be used for FDA-approved research and medical purposes and that’s been the case since 1974. Is that correct?”

Nora Volkow: “That is my understanding.”

Rep. Connolly: “Is there any other schedule I drug used for research purposes that’s available only from one government source?”

Nora Volkow: “I don’t think there is.”

Rep. Connolly: “So, again, (this is) unique to marijuana. You [NIDA] have exclusive control for research purposes unlike any substance.”

Nora Volkow: “Correct, in the United States.”

Rep. Connolly: “What is the rationale for that?”

Nora Volkow: [long pause] “I guess the rationale … is that you want to be able to have control over the material that you’re providing for research.”

Rep. Connolly: “Why wouldn’t that be true about cocaine?”

Nora Volkow: “Cocaine is a drug that is regulated differently. … The production of marijuana is based on plants.”

Rep. Connolly: “DEA has licensed privately funded manufacturers to produce methamphetamines, LSD, MDMA, heroin, cocaine, and a host of other controlled substances for research purposes. Is that not correct?”

Nora Volkow: “For research purposes, yes.”

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 21, 2014

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

But weed and hash are the same thing :signings:

They very much are not. Weed is dried plant matter, Hash is a extract (made through various processes) of that dried plant matter.
Legally this can make a diference. Just like there might be a difference in how peyote buttons are treated and extracted mescaline.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

NihilismNow posted:

Weed is dried plant matter, Hash is a extract (made through various processes) of that dried plant matter.

Like Sativex for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFezXWt3Xo

quote:

Up to the harvest of the plant there is no difference between Sativex and herbal cannabis. http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2007_03_1.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 21, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's pretty obvious how things like that happen. Just think about the average 'think of the children' thought process.

"Crack is way worse than cocaine because (reasons that definitely have nothing to do with racism) and should carry harsher penalties. Hash is way worse than pot for (same reasons - again, totally not racist), and should have the same penalties as crack."

It's brilliant. :downs:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

NihilismNow posted:

They very much are not. Weed is dried plant matter, Hash is a extract (made through various processes) of that dried plant matter.
Legally this can make a diference. Just like there might be a difference in how peyote buttons are treated and extracted mescaline.

It's not a legal difference that should be respected or treated as legitimate. The additional cost (since hash is after all representing a proportionally greater amount of cannabis) tends to limit consumption. And even if it doesn't, so what? This is beer vs. hard alcohol all over again.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

SedanChair posted:

It's not a legal difference that should be respected or treated as legitimate. The additional cost (since hash is after all representing a proportionally greater amount of cannabis) tends to limit consumption. And even if it doesn't, so what? This is beer vs. hard alcohol all over again.

I don't agree with it but the law does make these distinctions all the time. Like how some medications is fine to sell OTC in 5mg tablets but 10mg tablets require a prescription. This does not stop anyone from taking 2 5mg tablets. Or how fresh shrooms used to be totally legal in a few countries but dried shrooms are highly illegal. Beer vs hard alcohol is another good example. I can buy booze only in a liquor store but anything up to 20% abv in a supermarket or corner store. This does not stop anyone from getting smashed on 15% abv wine coolers.
Differences like this are not going away, you are free to ignore them but don't expect the judge to be lenient on you because hash and weed are totally the same man.

Dutch government has effectively banned hash (i.e. ended the "gedoog" construction for hash). Any weed product with over 15% THC is as illegal as heroin. Of course this being the Netherlands no one enforces this rule (it is just another thing they can pile on the charges if they do decide they want to close a particular shop or prosecute a particular user, no rules are enforced until we decide we want to enforce them for you).

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
Looks like we're just under 2 weeks from the first stores opening in Washington. There aren't many growers yet so product will be scarce and expensive but it's a start.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana...03=0&24345101=0

quote:

Now there’s a date: The first group of “20-ish” retail marijuana stores will open on July 8 … if it all goes according to the latest plans.

The Liquor Control Board is planning to issue the first licenses Monday, July 7, and those new licensees will have to use the first 24 hours getting the marijuana into their store tracing program. Then they can open on the 8th, said Brian Smith, the LCB’s communication director.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been trying to find out, the stores can open on the 8th, but are there any stores that have said they ARE opening on the 8th? The earliest one I've found has said that it will open in August. I feel like they're really dragging their feet on this considering it was supposed to be done at the start of June.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

British Ambassador to Afghanistan:

quote:

The war on drugs is lost – legalise the heroin trade http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/war-on-drugs-heroin-trade-afghanistan

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
Did Rep. Andy Harris inadvertently legalize marijuana possession in D.C.?

quote:

If the amendment — which bars the city from spending any funds to “enact or carry out any law, rule, or regulation to legalize or otherwise reduce penalties associated with the possession, use, or distribution [of marijuana and other drugs] for recreational use” — then takes effect after the decriminalization statute is officially on the books, the city would be in the odd position of having a decriminalization law that it could not enforce.

Here is Rep. Harris's current twitter header image. I guess that's him on the left.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Reason posted:

So I've been trying to find out, the stores can open on the 8th, but are there any stores that have said they ARE opening on the 8th? The earliest one I've found has said that it will open in August. I feel like they're really dragging their feet on this considering it was supposed to be done at the start of June.

There is at least one store planning to open in Vancouver on July 8th. There are 1-2 more that may open in July however they have not revealed themselves or given a specific date. It makes sense to open as soon as possible since even if you have few products you'll receive free advertising from every news station in Portland.

http://blogs.columbian.com/cannabis-chronicles/2014/06/20/main-street-marijuana-store-open-july/

quote:

The store, Main Street Marijuana, came in first in the Washington State Liquor Control Board lottery for retailers in Vancouver. The business expects to receive final inspections from the board by the end of the month, said Ramsey Hamide, a manager.

“We’re planning on opening the first (of July) or the eighth, depending on the process for the first batch of stores,” Hamide said. “The eighth is probably more likely.”

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm still confused about how this rider works. So he introduced it, then does this rider specifically have to go through the house, senate, and president? Or does the bill, with this rider attached, have to go through all of that?

If it's the former, I presume that it will be struck down somewhere in there. If it's the latter, I'm guessing it has a lower chance of being passed.

Either way, gently caress this guy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm still confused about how this rider works. So he introduced it, then does this rider specifically have to go through the house, senate, and president? Or does the bill, with this rider attached, have to go through all of that?

If it's the former, I presume that it will be struck down somewhere in there. If it's the latter, I'm guessing it has a lower chance of being passed.

Either way, gently caress this guy.

Oh yeah.

The alert from DC's non-voting Congressperson Norton Holmes went out Tuesday night, for a vote happening Wednesday morning, so there was very little time to react. We had folks phone-banking, putting on suits and going down to Capitol Hill, etc. That's the fascinating thing about living in DC, if you're upset about something you can literally just take the subway downtown and walk right into the House or Senate offices and file a complaint in-person at the staff of whichever rep or senator. I've done it a number of times, and never gotten the actual rep/senator since I'm just walking in on a cold call, but I've gotten to speak with the office's legal advisers, formal interview, etc. It's kind of trippy how easy it is, makes politics seem a lot more accessible. Though honestly wherever you live in the US you can probably do the same just swinging by your rep's office in whatever local city your district is based around.

IANAL, but my broad understanding is the amendment was approved by the Repubs (and one Dem) on the Appropriations committee, then the full bill goes to the House. For this blockage to actually take effect, the Senate Appropriations Committee would have to vote in a corresponding amendment, and pass it in the Dem-held Senate. While theoretically this could slide under the radar, the Cannabis Campaign was quick to alert Senate Dems to this sneak-attack, and the Dems were pretty optimistic that the Senate either wouldn't play along in passing an equivalent amendment, and also noting that in general these DC appropriations bills die all the drat time because of weird riders and they just end up passing a CR (continuing resolution) which basically just replays the previous year's bill.

DC's Mayor Gray did some Twitter-sparring with Harris, noting that Harris's own state of Maryland decriminalized this year.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/andy-harris-weed-legalization_n_5533894.html?1403801948

quote:

"Marijuana remains classified as a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act, and therefore its possession remains illegal under federal law," Harris said in a statement to The Huffington Post. "The amendment clearly prohibits the District of Columbia from carrying out a reduction in penalties for the recreational possession of marijuana."

"I am confident that the intent of Congress is clear,” he said.

Of course, DC police are already not enforcing federal law.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

In a worst case scenario, I would love to see the DC council go ballistic and give DC the nation's absolutely most stringent "lowest law enforcement priority" policy, where cops shoulder past crowds of weedsmokers to nab the guy dropping a cigarette butt on the sidewalk.

I'm pretty optimistic that this nonsense won't be a dealbreaker, but in all seriousness if you live in Eastern Maryland (basically anything north of Baltimore and eastward), please do email or call this dude to express your opinions. Seriously, for the first time I'm finally contacting elected reps and it's been rewarding, so do at least this minimal level of slactivism:

Further, if any of these fellows are your rep, do the same. Just bug them about the "Harris Amendment to the DC Appropriations bill" and just generally mention you've heard it interferes with DC's efforts to modernize its marijuana laws, 17 states have already decriminalized, it's doing an end-run around the formal Oversight process DC law is already subject to and is just a backdoor effort to force DC issues. I like to use conserva-terms like "small government", "nanny state-ism", "against the will of the electorate", etc.

quote:

Harold Rogers, Kentucky, Chairman
Frank R. Wolf, Virginia
Jack Kingston, Georgia
Rodney P. Frelinghuysen, New Jersey
Tom Latham, Iowa
Robert B. Aderholt, Alabama
Kay Granger, Texas
Michael K. Simpson, Idaho
John Abney Culberson, Texas
Ander Crenshaw, Florida
John R. Carter, Texas
Ken Calvert, California
Tom Cole, Oklahoma
Mario Diaz-Balart, Florida
Charles W. Dent, Pennsylvania
Tom Graves, Georgia
Kevin Yoder, Kansas
Steve Womack, Arkansas
Alan Nunnelee, Mississippi
Jeff Fortenberry, Nebraska
Tom Rooney, Florida
Chuck Fleischmann, Tennessee
Jaime Herrera Beutler, Washington
David Joyce, Ohio
David Valadao, California
Andy Harris, MD, Maryland
Martha Roby, Alabama
Mark Amodei, Nevada
Chris Stewart, Utah

If on the off-chance any of you live in Henry Cuellar's Texas 28th District (south of San Anton going down to Nuevo Laredo), he's the Democrat turncoat who backed this junk and made it "bipartisan", so seriously please call his TX and DC offices and complain that this is not representing you as a constituent.

Not to make this a play-by-play, but given that this thread is not inclined to on-deck activism, if any of y'all call your reps and get interesting reactions, I for one would be interested to hear it.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
So i'm going to be in Vancouver, WA for a week or so. Am I right in assuming that I can't buy legally yet there?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Shes In Parties posted:

So i'm going to be in Vancouver, WA for a week or so. Am I right in assuming that I can't buy legally yet there?
Not yet, but the stores should start opening July 8th. I don't know if any of them will be in Vancouver.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

^^^ There will be at least one store in Vancouver open July 8th.

Shes In Parties posted:

You can legally buy pot from anyone you want, but there is no one who can legally sell to you until July 8th.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

bawfuls posted:

I guess I'm spoiled because San Diego is practically exploding with quality microbrews.

You forgot Belching Beaver. :j:

Now the UN is making a fuss on America's up-counts on THC. This is payback for something, isn't it?

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

lothar_ posted:

Now the UN is making a fuss on America's up-counts on THC. This is payback for something, isn't it?

quote:

There was a 56% increase in US cannabis-related emergency department visits between 2006 and 2010, and a 14% increase in admission to treatment centres for drug abuse over the same period, the report said, citing US government data.

From what I can find, this UN report is referencing a November 2013 DEA report that references a May 2013 "Drug Abuse Warning Network" report, all of which curiously omit the data from 2011, during which the number of "cannabis-related" emergency visits DECREASED by 1.1%.

quote:

DAWN captures drugs that are explicitly named in the medical record as being involved in the ED visit. The relationship between the ED visit and the drug use need not be causal. That is, an implicated drug may or may not have directly caused the condition generating the ED visit; the ED staff simply named it as being involved.

quote:

DAWN does not assess the medical reasons for the visit, and it cannot be assumed that a drug was the direct cause of the medical emergency.

quote:

DAWN does not require that drugs reported for the ED visit be confirmed by laboratory testing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Py-O-My posted:

From what I can find, this UN report is referencing a November 2013 DEA report that references a May 2013 "Drug Abuse Warning Network" report, all of which curiously omit the data from 2011, during which the number of "cannabis-related" emergency visits DECREASED by 1.1%.

All of your quotes from that report make their conclusion sound like a load of alarmist bullshit, i.e. "A 56% increase (in non-lab tested, non causally linked drug use emergency room admissions)!"

But I guess what else is new?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why the hell are people being admitted to the emergency room for "cannabis-related" anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If you mean directly, probably severe anxiety or accidents caused by impairedness.

But what's being measured is any mention of marijuana during an emergency room visit. The doctor is probably going to ask you about any medication or substances you've been taking if they're being thorough about diagnosis/treatment, and that may end up on your chart even if it's completely unrelated.

• Locked thread