Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Pro's like me practice stickhandling and shooting in their basement every day.

0 goals the last 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Loqieu posted:

Pro's like me practice stickhandling and shooting in their basement every day.

0 goals the last 3 seasons.

Practice missing the net.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Tonight i went to an open skate from 6:30-8:30. For the last 40 minutes, i had the rink all to myself. i figured out how to get the rink speakers working and worked on stopping and crossovers to Vampire Weekend. it was surreal.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

that sounds like one of the gooniest hockey things you could do

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

What's harder than hockey is not playing for over a month.

Gio posted:

that sounds like one of the gooniest hockey things you could do

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
So we had a fight occur at last night's game... A girl slashed one of the guys from behind (she can't throw weight around since she's 4'5", so she does other things, legal and not, to get an advantage) and he snapped, turned around and roughly shoved her and went after her yelling until he realized who had hit him. Before it could calm down though her "hockey husband" flew off the bench and confronted the guy. Much yelling, shoving, grabbing, and whistle blowing occurred before both guys were thrown out of the game. Hockey Husband got 2min for unsportsmanlike conduct and ejected for fighting and the dude who started the fight got 4 min for unsportsmanlike conduct (for going after the girl and for fighting HH) and ejected. As loving stupid as it was at least it was entertaining and the resulting 4 on 4 was really energized and with people being either really worked up or still laughing over the absurdity.

D League is serious business, bitches :colbert:

Oh also, we had a goalie that was playing in some pretty old gear and a wrist shot from our right winger absolutely shattered his plastic throat protector. That left people a little more stunned than the fight had.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hmm…Hockey Husband should have also gotten 5 for leaving the bench.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Got a 6-1 in in coed last night against the worst team in the league, and they only had a goalie and six skaters. It was so bad we gave them our sub in the third period and we may have even sent other regulars over if we'd all had white jerseys (each team in the league gets a single color, no home or away).

I had an incredibly odd assist on the second or third goal. I was breaking out of our zone in the second and had pressure coming up on me as I was getting to the red line. It was nearing time for a change so I angled the puck off the boards and right to the goal. The goalie went down to cover it and it looked like he was on top of it. Seemingly normal play.

Nope. Puck squirted out from under his glove and was on the goal line. Our sub kinda sauntered up and tapped it in. Nobody knew what the hell was going on. At least until the ref came over and told me I had an assist.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Theres nothing like getting a perfect feed from below the goal line and blasting a bar down one timer past the goalie. The feeling of the stick bending like a noodle in your hand and the look on the goalies face afterward are priceless.

Now if only I could convince my teammates to give me that look more often :unsmigghh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I set up a similar play tonight but rather than scoring the dude broke his stick. It was one of those colt hockey ones too.

I celebrated it breaking more than if he scored.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a ref yell "Jesus gently caress, get in the loving box!" at me last night. Can't say I've ever had that happen before.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a ref yell "Jesus gently caress, get in the loving box!" at me last night. Can't say I've ever had that happen before.
Well don't leave us hanging, what happened?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

n/m, shouldn't assume

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah let 'er rip, the internet is all about making broad assumptions. It's in the bill of rights or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, what happened?

Wasn't really a big deal. A dude turned into me with his head down, we collided, but he fell over. It was pretty much incidental contact, but there was only 1 ref for that game, so he may have seen me trying to truck him or something. I just thought it was funny that the ref yelled that.

I am now curious about sellouts edit though. I'll bet that was a good one.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 16, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nah it was really dumb assumption about the official actually.

Also finally had someone thrown out of a game for calling the other team a bunch of faggots. Turns out the team he was yelling at is an all gay mens hockey team. I had never heard him say the word before and he felt terrible but the odds of that happening are pretty absurd.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I boarded a guy last week and the ref said I was "gone", so thought I was being ejected and skated to the bench until the ref yelled "No, dummy, you go to the BOX not the BENCH to serve a penalty!"

Pretty sure I was supposed to be ejected, but oh well, 2 minutes later I was out.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Loqieu posted:

I boarded a guy last week and the ref said I was "gone", so thought I was being ejected and skated to the bench until the ref yelled "No, dummy, you go to the BOX not the BENCH to serve a penalty!"

Yeah, "gone" or "get outta here" is supposed to mean ejected.

On the plus side, go my first assist in the B2 league, for an empty net goal where the other team pulled their goalie at 1:45 for a 4-0 game. Eh, it counts. Weird game though, I've been adjusting to the faster pace/speed of players, but they game me as much time to look for passes as my usual C1 league play. I play a very stay-at-home defense style and kinda drift between the offensive blue and center lines when on attack to keep any play coming back in front of me. Haven't quite got the nerve to step up at our blue line, mostly because it's easier to force the play to the sides and safer than making a bad pinch or hilariously bad step up.

It's also glorious because their captain, their former goalie that saved their asses more than they realize, is skating out in that league as center this season. He's been trying to get back into B1 as a goalie for so long, but I think it only dawned on him recently that no one likes him up there due to a couple of verbose subs he did years ago. For the last few seasons, he used his captain spot to "secure" a skater position in B2 and signed up as a goalie for B1, but every season he'd get passed up, and play goalie in B2 and skater in C1. And he would never "stoop as low" as to play goalie in C1, unlike me where I've played goalie in every non-invitation-only league (A to C2) mostly for shits and giggles. He's a pretty good goalie, and an okay skater, but he's just enough of an rear end that no one wants to put up with him.

So as a goalie myself playing defense, and have played against him in the same leagues, I'm having a good chuckle at his expense.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Haha I broke my ankle playing inline hockey on Saturday and I have to have surgery next week. :haw:

Cautionary tale: Don't try to play in an iron(wo)man tournament with one contact lens in and way out of condition after your clinical year of vet school. It ends poorly.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

Haha I broke my ankle playing inline hockey on Saturday and I have to have surgery next week. :haw:

Cautionary tale: Don't try to play in an iron(wo)man tournament with one contact lens in and way out of condition after your clinical year of vet school. It ends poorly.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear it. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That sucks. I think the bigger lesson is to not play roller.

Also you should have switched to Ventura!!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Yeah I have this dumb loyalty thing going on that will probably gently caress me over someday, can't say I wasn't at least SORT OF hoping that the clinic in Long Island would say it wasn't okay for me to show up a couple weeks late so I could switch. But oh well!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I had 5 great chances tonight in the Spring season closer. All of them were different too. The first was a cut through the middle to the slot for a clear shot on net, second was a wide open shot off a rebound, third was a power move on the outside of the circle with a backhand in front, fourth was a 2 on 1, and the last was a breakaway.

I shot all of them right into the goalie. gently caress me.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Turns out the reason I couldn't stop in my first two games, or at all, is because the dude that sharpened my skates in Indianapolis did the worst job ever. I got them resharpened at Sheels in Iowa City and holy poo poo it's like night and day (and free!). Last night's game I had a sweet assist to our center in the slot after cutting through some of the D. I also got my best wrist shot ever off from the right side, only to watch it cruise directly into the goalie's chest :doh:

so fun.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Yay I have a hockey game tonight. I think I got moved back to forward since I had my worst defensive game ever last time I played.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
You know what sucks? Finding out you have a broken skate blade 5 minutes before a game. I must have broken it at the tail end of the last time I played, or somehow broke it putting my bag in my trunk or something because the last time I skated I had no reason to suspect I had a broken blade. I didn't even realize it was broken until I put the skate on and was walking out to the bench. My skate felt funny, looked down and sure enough there was a big break in it. Luckily my friend skated the game before and let me borrow his skates (which were totally dull and literally taped together). At least I got to play.

I then found out that Tuuk changed the way their blades fit into their skates at some point in the last few years. For those of you not aware the blade used to attach to the Tuuk by 2 bolts, 1 in the toe area of the skate and 1 in the heel. They have changed it to 1 bolt in the heel and the front of the blade is like a hook that just hooks into the front of the holder. It is way easier to change blades that way but I have some blades from old skates that I saved and found out they are not interchangeable. I have Bauer skates that are like 2 years old so the change happened at least 2 years ago.

So just a word of warning to anybody that is holding onto old steel just in case but has newer Tuuks because your old steel probably won't work. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are aware since most of you seem to be very equipment aware, but to those who didn't know now you do :)

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 22, 2014

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bigbillystyle posted:

have Bauer skates that are like 2 years old so the change happened at least 2 years ago.

So just a word of warning to anybody that is holding onto old steel just in case but has newer Tuuks because your old steel probably won't work. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are aware since most of you seem to be very equipment aware, but to those who didn't know now you do :)

The changeover happened at least 10 years ago with the release of the Tuuk Lightspeed holders.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Didn't it just change further though, to stop stuff like the blackedge runners?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I've had 3 pairs of skates over the last 7 or so years and my current ones are the only set I've had with the "new" style 1 bolt configuration. Maybe in the last 10 years only the upper level models had that feature? I wouldn't know as I rarely have $600+ laying around to drop on skates.

Anyway I've been in and out of skates a few times over the last few years and never knew there was a change so just a little PSA for anybody else not up to date on Tuuk technology.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So who here wants to laugh at my limey accent and terrible attempt at rec hockey is serious business internet coaching?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDY4_gaX14o

We've had a number of players join recently who don't have much experience, so hopefully it'll help them along.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
11 pm games are the worst, especially when it feels like a sauna on the rink. Long live summer roller hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually when a product is released with the word "revolutionary" attached to it it's not actually revolutionary, but CCM sure seems convinced of it:

http://ccmhockey.com/resistance/en/

It's got IMPACT PODS guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xa8YvozKwU

There's no way there will be issues with having bags of damping oil inside a helmet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can't imagine that if you get hit in the head that damping the rotation of the helmet will somehow stop your brain from rotating in your skull.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Only if you wear a mouth guard

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Let me get this straight: not only are we forcing players to wear helmets that heat their heads to combustible levels, but now they're filling those helmets with a flammable liquid?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bettman is secretly a Ghost Rider fan.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I have a big rear end head and need a big rear end helmet to fit my big rear end head. What helmet should I buy. My current one is some mission one it's a large but it squeezes my head like its popping a zit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a colossal fat head too, the only one that fit me when I was at the gear store was the biggest CCM helmet with the adjustment thingy set to maximum.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

I have a big rear end head and need a big rear end helmet to fit my big rear end head. What helmet should I buy. My current one is some mission one it's a large but it squeezes my head like its popping a zit.

In my experience, Reebok and the Bauer 5100-style helmets are on the roomier side. A small 5100 seems to fit me about like a medium 4500.

e: drat some of you guys have some huge rear end heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

I have a colossal fat head too, the only one that fit me when I was at the gear store was the biggest CCM helmet with the adjustment thingy set to maximum.

I have the adjustment thing on my mission helmet (i dont remember the number its a helmet) set to maximum and it squeezes my head like a vice and I have to take it off on the bench to stop intense headaches

I am 5'7 150 pounds I do not know why my head is so big. With snapbacks I usually only have one or two of the little buttons used