Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

meatpimp posted:

Why? :cry:

I understand consolidation, but I don't see this as anything but a downgrade. Is it just automotive ADD (that I might understand)?

5 years newer, warranty, fuel efficiency, boredom, cost of maintenance, put $ in the bank on the deal. All the above. I am not one to keep cars for over 2 years or so regardless so it was time to get something new.
In the near-future plans are CAI and cat-back exhaust, mostly because the car is so drat quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Here is my car before it goes full clown car

I should start taking my camera places. iPhone will do for now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ignoarints posted:

Lmao, I bought a 2013 Genesis coupe yesterday. 3.8 r spec though.

For me it was quite the grown up decision to not get the turbo version. After having turbos for the last 8 years and loving all of it I decided to get something that was going to be less tempting to spend money on and therefore provide less stress. Even though the turbo version of the same car is actually more appealing and generally cheaper.

Going back to n/a, even with ~348 hp, jesus it feels slow and grandpa as gently caress. I swear to god I thought I got scammed with some i4 swap out of a honda until I looked at the speedo. My bolt on cobalt ss would whip this pretty soundly though, but I was expecting it.

Going to throw on some exhaust so I can actually downshift without looking at my tach, a shifter... and that's probably it. Maybe a intake so I can fit some catch cans for GDI. This is a very strange thought for me

I have some silly fender stripes I need to remove. Hopefully it won't be a bitch.

This post makes no sense to me. How is a 350hp rwd Genesis slower than a Cobalt?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

This post makes no sense to me. How is a 350hp rwd Genesis slower than a Cobalt?

Probably ButtDyno

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

A calm torque curve hides power when you are used to peaky, hi-revving forced induction engines. That Genesis will embarrass the cobalt SS, but bone stock the Genesis will feel sedate while doing it.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Carteret posted:

A calm torque curve hides power when you are used to peaky, hi-revving forced induction engines. That Genesis will embarrass the cobalt SS, but bone stock the Genesis will feel sedate while doing it.

A turbo Cobalt SS with bolt ons and a good tune can make ~350whp.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rye Bread posted:

A turbo Cobalt SS with bolt ons and a good tune can make ~350whp.

At the wrong end to use it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

All the more reason it will "feel" a lot faster. Won't necessarily be any faster, but something that's trying to rip the wheel from your hands and scrabbling for every bit of traction can feel faster than something that just smoothly pulls from idle to redline without the slightest bit of drama.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

veedubfreak posted:

True, I'm not going to argue that.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Imperador do Brasil posted:

5 years newer, warranty, fuel efficiency, boredom, cost of maintenance, put $ in the bank on the deal. All the above. I am not one to keep cars for over 2 years or so regardless so it was time to get something new.
In the near-future plans are CAI and cat-back exhaust, mostly because the car is so drat quiet.

Rationalize it all you want. :suicide:

Bape Culture posted:

I know we don't always see eye to eye (or probation to probation) but please, don't ruin this car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

I know we don't always see eye to eye (or probation to probation) but please, don't ruin this car.

I hope he ruins his car and you get realy upset and make posts about it on the internet. Who gives a poo poo its not like they didnt sell a tonne of e46 m3s anyway, I see a shitload of scraggy ones nowadays.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

smelly cabin filter posted:

I hope he ruins his car and you get realy upset and make posts about it on the internet. Who gives a poo poo its not like they didnt sell a tonne of e46 m3s anyway, I see a shitload of scraggy ones nowadays.
SJW to the rescue!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

smelly cabin filter posted:

But but but in 20 years it could still be worth the big buxx!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
SJW. The Ultimate Driving Machine

E

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 27, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Sweet Jeep Wife???

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bape Culture posted:

Roa Island? My family's boat is in the background! Lovely place for an M3 with the coast road.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Sweet Jeep Wife???
SoCal Jetta Wizard. Check your privilege.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

It was simply faster. It weighed 400 pounds less and made the same, if not more (dont know actual stock 3.8 dyno), horsepower, and could put it to the ground reasonably well. An example bone stock SS with a $300 off the shelf tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxtFyOcuZg0 13.3 second. I knew I could get in the 12's assuming driver mod was up to par (26 psi, full exhaust no cats, intake, larger FMIC), but I never got to a 1/4 track. I outran an SRT8 Challenger over and over again as a small anecdote.

I am not taking into account how slow the 3.8 feels compared to in-your-face 26 psi curve. The genesis feels far slower but I know its not *that* much slower. But the genesis as it sits simply wouldn't touch the cobalt. Even the fwd suspension was among the best you could get. But it is still fwd.

Doesn't really matter though the genesis is a better car. I'd have gotten the 2.0T if I wanted to spank around my old cobalt for a reasonable amount of money. However I just wanted a simpler and overall better car this time around and this one fits the bill quite well.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

What's with all the boats, is that a tidal zone at low tide or something? Nice car too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ignoarints posted:

I outran an SRT8 Challenger over and over again as a small anecdote.

School buses out run SRT8 Challengers. That's not much of a win there.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

School buses out run SRT8 Challengers. That's not much of a win there.

It's a bloated cow of a sports car no doubt man, but it's a 12 second car unless you can't drive at all

quote:

With the revised 6.4-Liter engine, Chrysler engineers cited a quarter mile (~400 m) time of 12.4 seconds at 110 mph (180 km/h) – bettering the outgoing 6.1-Liter Hemi by 0.8 seconds, although that figure has varied wildly between automotive magazines. Car and Driver tested the 392 at 12.9 seconds at 114 mph (183 km/h)[46] while Motor Trend ran it at 13.0 seconds at 111.3 mph (179.1 km/h)[47] and Edmunds' number was far closer to Chrysler's claimed numbers at 12.6 seconds at 112.1 mph (180.4 km/h).[48]

These are C&D, MT, and edmunds times mind you

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ricers used to "outrun" my M3 all the time too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ignoarints posted:

It's a bloated cow of a sports car no doubt man, but it's a 12 second car unless you can't drive at all

These are C&D, MT, and edmunds times mind you

Still a turd of a car, there's much better for less money. I mean, yeah it looks cool, but its over weight, the engineering is still at least a generation behind every thing else.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Octopus Magic posted:

But but but in 20 years it could still be worth the big buxx!

It's no DSM!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Still a turd of a car, there's much better for less money. I mean, yeah it looks cool, but its over weight, the engineering is still at least a generation behind every thing else.

Wouldn't stop me from driving the piss out of one. I think they're the best looking car in the segment.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They look great, I just openly poo poo on the underpinnings is all. I just felt like it was a little rushed

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Speedfreak on Bimmerforums is incredible!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Meh, the lovely gen-before-last, way-too-heavy chassis and even the over-criticized, plain looking parts-bin interior of the Challenger just adds to its sledgehammer-like charm. It is what it is and it waves a hearty gently caress you at anyone who doesn't like it. Don't think I'd ever own one but I like what it represents.
Also I'm pretty sure it'll be the last holdout of the Mercedes era Dodges, so in a few years time we'll be able to look back on it as a symbol of the time Chrysler was almost good.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I love posting this picture:

Makes my car look tiny.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

voltron posted:

Speedfreak on Bimmerforums is incredible!

Looks like a pegged HDR slider.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
My poor person BMW

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Das Volk posted:

It's no DSM!

I already know my car has never been worth anything, and never will be worth anything? :confused:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They look great, I just openly poo poo on the underpinnings is all. I just felt like it was a little rushed

The underpinnings are fine. They ride nice and handle just fine for what they are shooting for. With a bit of work (like nearly any car with an aftermarket) you can make them handle well. I used to track an SRT8 Magnum and with the coilovers and sways that were on it I had no trouble putting down respectable times with it.

It would be great if they could make the next gen Challenger lighter and more handling focused but its funny when you say the chassis is a generation behind its competition when they literally just switched the mustang over to IRS for the 2015 model year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfJntYph_4

god drat do i miss that car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah but to be fair, the 2011-2014 GT was putting down BMW-level lap times (3-series or M3, I forget which,) even with the live axle, and the Boss/Laguna Seca were even better in the handling department. Turns out that for pure track times, you can make a live axle work pretty well after half a decade or so of road racing.

I mean they're at least comparable, but looking at VIR lap times (from here), the 2011 SRT8 is about a second slower than the 5.0 (even with a nearly 60-HP advantage), a full 6.5 seconds slower than the Laguna Seca, and almost 10 seconds slower than the '13 GT500 (I only mention these last two because they represent, like the SRT, top-of-the-line models; obviously the Hellcat will change things, but that's not out yet.)

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I've always wanted one of these, and I just pulled the trigger on it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Count Freebasie posted:

God drat, nice score. Looks really really clean too. That would fetch at least 8,000 here.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I wonder what a bone stock 5.0 fox-body Mustang would be worth. They have to be rarer than hens teeth

drat good buy, btw. I've always heard you could get them into wicked 1/4 mile times cheaply, although I have no real world experience with them

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Count Freebasie posted:

Saw one just like this last week. Being driven by an elderly lady. Its was super clean and probably never been above 70mph.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Posted this little beast already but its seen some action this week so here it is with a matchbox version that is only marginally larger:

and here it is after it got punted by a school bus (not full size, a Benz Sprinter):

Seeing that a school bus full of kids was involved in the accident police, ambulance and fire services showed up along with three tow-trucks who tried their best to convince me not to drive the Fiat home. They spouted all sorts of bullshit like 'its got undeployed airbags' and that my insurance wouldn't cover me if I drove it after an accident. They were real cocks about it but all were impressed with how little damage the car took seeing as the bus was not driveable due to undeployed airbags(taped off by firemen) and a busted coolant system. I think it didn't take much damage because although stopped I didn't have the brakes on so it just pushed me out of the way.

Got the insurance quote today: $5,800. It's the only thing harder than the headrests.

tobu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

I wonder what a bone stock 5.0 fox-body Mustang would be worth. They have to be rarer than hens teeth

drat good buy, btw. I've always heard you could get them into wicked 1/4 mile times cheaply, although I have no real world experience with them

This one has had some work done on it; cams, lifters, exhaust and ignition, but I love the fact that it's stock-looking (even though you can hear me coming from a block away). A heavier alternator is already in the mail on its way, and brake conversion is up next.