Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

If you just wanted to play with people, you could always try Devpro. Online dueling program that lets you make your own decks and use them online others. This's one automated if you wanted to ease into things, and you can play around with decks. Updates fairly regularly and it's been fine for me.

Yeah, I was planning on using one of the online programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I've finished GX. I love it now more than ever thanks to this re-watch. That being said, the end of Season 3 is still bullshit and not in a good crazy bullshit way like the end of Season 2. Jaden is now most assuredly my favorite YGO protagonist though. I wonder if Yusei can replace him. I just watched Bonds Beyond Time Abridged though and if it is even slightly accurate, Yusei is another Yami Yugi "Card Games are Serious Business" type while I liked Jaden so much because he never took anything seriously unless he absolutely had to. And even then not always:
Professor: (after a long, dumb monologue flashback explaining why he was evil and threatening to drown Alexis) We both gave up so much for our love of dueling. But in the end I'm afraid it just wasn't enough.

Jaden: [Blinks] Huh? What? Sorry, I just zoned out.

But yeah, I think it's Season 2 that is supposed to be the "peak" for 5D's? Dark Signers and Earthbound Immortals or something? Earthbound Immortal sounds cool. No idea what it means.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I love Yusei because of how serious he is, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqashoUUIkA&t=21s He's so serious about these card games!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

5Ds really gets the serious part right. The premise is completely absurd, but the characters never question it for a second. The dichotomy is hilarious.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
5D's nails its suspension of disbelief, which is what makes it a good show.

It's literally a show that mixes commentary on classism, discrimination, revenge and mortality with playing card games on motorcycles. It's the best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, I think it's Season 2 that is supposed to be the "peak" for 5D's? Dark Signers and Earthbound Immortals or something? Earthbound Immortal sounds cool. No idea what it means.

They're the best villain monsters in the entire franchise, that's what they are.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

They're the best villain monsters in the entire franchise, that's what they are.

Now with the new rule changes, they're even playable

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Senerio posted:

Now with the new rule changes, they're even playable

I played against an Earthbound Immortal deck that was running Mound of the Bound Creator recently. Not an experience I want to duplicate.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 20, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mound of the Bound Creator works really well with them too.

Offhand I dunno what the best ones are, but you could make a pretty drat nice Earthbound Immortal deck nowadays, I'm sure.

e;fb

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Silento posted:

5Ds really gets the serious part right. The premise is completely absurd, but the characters never question it for a second. The dichotomy is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDZjxFjvD0

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Episode 11 of Arc-V? Best episode so far. Glad to see Gogenzaka getting his chance to shine and not just being a silly side character.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Fantasia Prima Laureate Francois is pretty good.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dexie posted:

Episode 11 of Arc-V? Best episode so far. Glad to see Gogenzaka getting his chance to shine and not just being a silly side character.

Yeah, I agree. I really enjoyed it. I wish Gongenzaka had been standing up at the end after he lost, though. Even in defeat, a man never backs down! :c00l:

Also Superheavy Samurais seems like a cool archetype. I wonder if they'll have spells or traps that are banished when they would normally be sent to the graveyard?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

I don't know. They know you are getting Honest, so you are just telegraphing your play. It's a Level 7 with no ease of summoning condition.

In other news: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/products/noble_knights.html Tewart is cashing in on his Knights one last time; adding Merlin, a new Spell, and an entire new Rarity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zackcat posted:

I don't know. They know you are getting Honest, so you are just telegraphing your play. It's a Level 7 with no ease of summoning condition.
Valhalla. Pendulum Summoning. You can use Solo: First Movement and Fantasia Maiden Sonata together for tribute material. Canon could help too. Mozart summons her for free. She'll be fairly easy to get onto the field.

Zackcat posted:

In other news: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/products/noble_knights.html Tewart is cashing in on his Knights one last time; adding Merlin, a new Spell, and an entire new Rarity.
It's going to be a long wait until November.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zackcat posted:

Fantasias are basically designed to get a lot of themselves out at once.

Honest can be used offensively, too. If you have Francois out, you can Honest and get her back in main 2.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Honest can be used offensively, too. If you have Francois out, you can Honest and get her back in main 2.

Right, I should have actually looked at the archetype.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I kind of want to try a Fantasia/Agents hybrid now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

I kind of want to try a Fantasia/Agents hybrid now.

That's probably what I'm going to do until I get a full Fantasia deck.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We watched episode 7 of Arc V a few days ago and it was pretty godawful. They set it up like Yuzu was actually going to do something and then they gave us that crap. Has the story tried to have anything "serious" happen since, because I was really digging Yuya before they tried to make a dark version of him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Momomo posted:

We watched episode 7 of Arc V a few days ago and it was pretty godawful. They set it up like Yuzu was actually going to do something and then they gave us that crap. Has the story tried to have anything "serious" happen since, because I was really digging Yuya before they tried to make a dark version of him.

LDS is trying to take over the You Show Duel School, and is trying to do so in the only way this world will allow: defeating You Show's members in a series of children's card games!

Each of their representatives specializes in a different summoning style. There's a Constellar user who fights Yuya, a Gem-Knight user who fights Yuzu, and an X-Saber user who fights Gogenzaka. At the very least, watch episode 11, Gogenzaka's duel. It's the best episode in the series so far.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zackcat posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm gonna be poor on November with this and the 5D's Legendary. I'm willing to believe that the spell is the Holy Grail and will be a themed Lance or could be Camelot, I'm just hype for more Noble Knights :neckbeard:

EDIT: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6263#more-6263 :aaa:

Senerio posted:

Fantasia is a really solid deck, who knew?

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 27, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The man Gongenzaka proved how much of a badass he is. Steadfast Dueling, hell yes. Even made that smug prick Sora lose his constant smile, that's how much of a man Gongenzaka is.

Also pissed-off Yuya is still great. And nezt episode, Yugi vs Kaiba!...err I mean, Yuya vs Reiji!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Fantasia is a really solid deck, who knew?

Superheavy Samurai are shaping up to be pretty solid as well, and Furnimals are getting some neat stuff in the next set. Konami is actually trying to make all the side characters have usable decks in the real game. I'm kind of amazed.

Honestly, I think Konami has been doing a pretty good job with the game this year. We're in a relatively balanced format, there's no one deck like Droolers that's just completely crushing everything else, they've been pushing out a lot of legacy support for fan-favorite decks in recent sets, there's been some pretty nice product released as well as on the way (5D's Legendary Collection! Finally!). I just hope they can keep this up and not do something stupid to ruin this great streak they're on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

The episode was loving amazing. Especially at the end.

"Too bad kid you triggered my extremely gimmicky effect damage card that will kill you instantly" :smug:

"Well I've got this extremely gimmicky card that reflects that damage right back" :mmmsmug:

"Not if I use this extremely gimmicky card that will negate that and take us both out!" :black101:

:iia:

More episodes like this please.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

When do they face the Self-Destruction Button guy. No one wins.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Episode 11 was a bit meta.
Notice how the X-saber kid got the short end of the animation budget stick? Recycled animation, lovely artwork...
I literally laughed out loud at how bad the Gottoms were at some time.

Someone on the Anime team doesnt like X-Sabers.

On the flipside that was some damned great animation that Gongenzaka got. Pretty good stuff there.

[e]: I mean look at this:

[EE]: And Gongenzaka is supposed to be Yuya's childhood friend? I though he was some deadbeat hanging around.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 27, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

[EE]: And Gongenzaka is supposed to be Yuya's childhood friend? I though he was some deadbeat hanging around.

Haha yeah that suprised me as well. Especially considering that he looks at least twice as old as Yuya.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Episode 11 was a bit meta.
Notice how the X-saber kid got the short end of the animation budget stick? Recycled animation, lovely artwork...
I literally laughed out loud at how bad the Gottoms were at some time.

Someone on the Anime team doesnt like X-Sabers.

On the flipside that was some damned great animation that Gongenzaka got. Pretty good stuff there.

[e]: I mean look at this:

holy poo poo that is some real QUALITY. I am offended, being a serious Saber fan. Ragigura is so loving embarrassed to even be there. He is just begging to be tributed off for Gottoms effect so he doesn't have to be apart of this.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 27, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I know I'm several years behind on the times but I just want to say the Dark Signers Arc did in fact live up to the hype. I wasn't a huge fan of Season 1. The premise and worldbuilding was better than the main story or characters. But it was a lot of build-up for Season 2 and it all paid off.

The Earthbound Immortals looked cool as gently caress and Rex Goodwin is now one of my favorite YGO villains.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly it only goes down from here. 5D's' Dark Signers arc is great, my favourite YGO arc ever, but it really should've ended there, what comes later is nowhere near as a good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know anything too specific about later seasons of 5D's but from what I've read here and there, I think one of the great unsung traits of the first two seasons was the total lack of filler. Sure I love Battle City but it has a lot of dumb episodes I don't care about. Same for GX's second season. But the Dark Signers Arc was all important all the time. It kept the storytelling focused and a great pace.

Every season after the second in 5D's seems to have filler though and I can easily see why that would drag things down. There could be a lot of other problems of course but that's just my guess.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wouldn't say it's so bad that you shouldn't watch it once, and some of the filler episodes (Jack!) are hilarious.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

The wild west episodes of 5Ds are genuine masterpieces.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dovi posted:

Even ignoring the best parts of that setting and the duel-disk guns, they get blown up by a bundle of dynamite and fall off a cliff... and then just get up and dust themselves off. :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dovi posted:

I'm sad that we will never get this. That was my favorite scene on 5D's and one really hosed up :stare:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dovi posted:

Boy, that poo poo was unbearable at the time of airing. Taking into account the week the show took off for New Years, it was two months of loving around with Yusei's douchebag cop killer BFF with none of the rest of the cast showing up save a cameo for Jack and Crow at the end and none of it affected the overall plot in even the slightest way. In an arc that was already pumped to its gills with lovely, inconsequential filler, that was probably the low point for the series until Aporia showed up. The dueling was pretty cool though. Guy in a giant drilling machine motorcycle and Kiryu dueling with 0 life points as his monster shoots the other guy in the head :black101:

NikkolasKing nailed it. Part 1 was 64 episodes long and less than 10 episodes were filler. Part 2 was 90 episodes long and I swear to god, 30-40 episodes of it were completely inconsequential.

Also, Superheavy Samurai's best friend ha ha

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha oh my god. That's just great. Now if only the deck has a reliable way to search and summon its boss monster beyond Giant Rat it could become great. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

Haha oh my god. That's just great. Now if only the deck has a reliable way to search and summon its boss monster beyond Giant Rat it could become great. :allears:

Funnily enough i think you can run a few X-sabers with superheavies to take advantage of the swarm and effects.

I really like this all monsters idea. but it would need a loy of search/draw support.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Xoidanor posted:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Machina_Armored_Unit
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Inferno_Reckless_Summon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Garden + http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Machine_Duplication
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Limit_Reverse

Then when you get out all three - http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Unity

There's so many crazy things you can do with Benkei, I'm gonna go build a deck on YGOpro and see what I can do. Black Garden Superheavies is just genius.

• Locked thread