Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Wait, which one played Yuri Lowell in the English dub? I thought Kosuke Toriumi was going to be hard to top, but whoever played him in the US version of Vesperia was loving great.
That was Troy Baker, but they can be pretty indistinguishable. Mercer actually voiced Kanji in the second half of the P4 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Mercer has also voiced Kenshiro before, which I think is probably the best barometer of his Jotaro performance.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mercer has also voiced Kenshiro before, which I think is probably the best barometer of his Jotaro performance.

No he voiced Rei which by your logic should make him Ceasar.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Are there any good translated interviews with Araki? I couldn't get over the existence of Strength so early in the story and wanted to figure out what the kind of person who would come up with that was like.

Good? Im not sure. Theres a funny one with Shokotan though, and she confesses that she would want Jotaro to 'give' her an oraoraoraoraoraoraoroara and thats her biggest fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SPFbQq-jNg

e: Im watching this again and theres some stuff that might be considered spoilers for the super spoiler sensitive, like it lists all the Jojos from parts 1 - 6. Nothing serious though

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 26, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Good? Im not sure. Theres a funny one with Shokotan though, and she confesses that she would want Jotaro to 'give' her an oraoraoraoraoraoraoroara and thats her biggest fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SPFbQq-jNg

e: Im watching this again and theres some stuff that might be considered spoilers for the super spoiler sensitive, like it lists all the Jojos from parts 1 - 6. Nothing serious though

Actually there's a pretty big spoiler early on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Matt Mercer is pretty much the poor man's Troy Baker, so take that how you will.

If you think this because Matt Mercer did Kanji in the second half of P4 Anime you are not giving the man enough credit as an actor because he's fantastic.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That was Kaiji Tang. Mercer voiced Rei in that game and it was a great performance. That being said I don't want someone being loving casted because they voiced Kenshiro. The last thing English voice acting needs right now is typecasting.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, I agree he's fantastic, I was just using Troy Baker as a way to gauge how he'd be as Jotaro, since people are more familiar with Baker.

I guess I could have brought up some of Mercer's rolls, but the only one's off the top of my head are second-half-anime Kanji, Walter from SMTIV, and Alvin from Tales of Xillia, all of which I initially mistook for Baker. :shrug:

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 27, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Tarezax posted:

The real question for Dio VAs is how good a WRRYYYYYY they can belt out.
Rob Halford for Dio.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh, I agree he's fantastic, I was just using Troy Baker as a way to gauge how he'd be as Jotaro, since people are more familiar with Baker.

I guess I could have brought up some of Mercer's rolls, but the only one's off the top of my head are second-half-anime Kanji, Walter from SMTIV, and Alvin from Tales of Xillia, all of which I initially mistook for Baker. :shrug:

Isn't he Chrom and Leon Kennedy?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Broniki posted:

One of the few times a dog is on-screen and doesn't die horribly is when it meets a completely irredeemably evil vampire man. What is Araki trying to tell us?

Cars at least cared about his fellow pillar men. Dio cared about no one but numero uno.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

That was Kaiji Tang. Mercer voiced Rei in that game and it was a great performance. That being said I don't want someone being loving casted because they voiced Kenshiro. The last thing English voice acting needs right now is typecasting.

Oh. Duh. :downs:

I was just thinking that if the dude can do a good ATATATATATATA he can probably do a good ORAORAORAORAORA, nothing really beyond that. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't he Chrom and Leon Kennedy?

Leon from RE6, yeah. Mercer's been voice acting since he was like 2001 and he can actually do battle cries pretty well as he proved as Fei Long in SF4. He's actually done voice acting for all kinds of characters, but Jotaro's a new kind I'm interested in seeing how he'll handle. If nothing else it'll be a new style of voice for Jotaro probably, which I'm perfectly fine with.

I'm curious as to who they're getting to voice act Avdol and Kakyoin, but we'll get to that bridge when the streaming happens.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Dio cared about no one but numero uno.

Wrong thread.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 27, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

There are some spoilers there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh crap. This is not the general thread.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The Forums are finally back. Yes...finally back...The Forums...

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5!!!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Good episode, but the best part of the chapter got lost.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm just glad they kept the "I did it! I ended Part 3 early!" line.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MelvinBison posted:

Good episode, but it was missing the best part of that chapter.

Yeah I guess it was implied, the rest of the episode was great though.

I loving loved how the people at the tea house were "what the gently caress just happened?" after Jojo and co bailed.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

And we got more OH NO!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sekkira posted:

And we got more OH NO!

Truly the best thing about this episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm missing the creativity of the part 2 fights. Every fight seems to go as follows: Let A be a person in the Joestar group, B be a person who is fighting them. 1. A has the upper hand. 2. B starts to put up a fight 3. but A "wins" anyway. 4. Turns out B is still around/alive!!! 5. A starts getting their rear end handed to them. 6. Surprise, it was a trick, A wasn't getting their rear end handed to them, unleashes their "full power" and they win for good.

Every. drat. Fight.

Sure, this happened to an extent in part 2. But part 2 always had some crazy Joseph plan that gets enacted. Here it seems like it's just "aha! I wasn't punching you with my stand as hard as it can punch!" *punches as hard as it can punch.

I suspect it's just because there are so many more fights in this part than there were in part 2, and it's hard to think up interesting fight progression every time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I'm missing the creativity of the part 2 fights. Every fight seems to go as follows: Let A be a person in the Joestar group, B be a person who is fighting them. 1. A has the upper hand. 2. B starts to put up a fight 3. but A "wins" anyway. 4. Turns out B is still around/alive!!! 5. A starts getting their rear end handed to them. 6. Surprise, it was a trick, A wasn't getting their rear end handed to them, unleashes their "full power" and they win for good.

Every. drat. Fight.

Sure, this happened to an extent in part 2. But part 2 always had some crazy Joseph plan that gets enacted. Here it seems like it's just "aha! I wasn't punching you with my stand as hard as it can punch!" *punches as hard as it can punch.

I suspect it's just because there are so many more fights in this part than there were in part 2, and it's hard to think up interesting fight progression every time.

Every fight except for probably Dark Blue Moon & Forever has gone the same way though as far as secret plans and outsmarting and poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This episode very much reminds me of the film Duel. Anyone know if Araki was inspired by that movie?

e: Reading the summary on Wikipedia (been a while since I've seen the film) the episode is practically 1:1 with the stuff that happens so I'm gonna assume he was.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 27, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Genocyber posted:

This episode very much reminds me of the film Duel.

The wiki page for Wheel of Fortune does mention that, so I presume that's what it is a reference to.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Horror movies are a big inspiration in Part 3.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Shakugan posted:

Here it seems like it's just "aha! I wasn't punching you with my stand as hard as it can punch!" *punches as hard as it can punch.

I'll be honest, this is totally enough for me

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sekkira posted:

And we got more OH NO!
Plus an "OH GOD!" near the end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Every. drat. Fight.

Stardust Crusaders is a bit formulaic in that regard, but other Parts do break that formula.

For now, just enjoy the weird Stands. Things will pick up a bit later on.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Genocyber posted:

This episode very much reminds me of the film Duel. Anyone know if Araki was inspired by that movie?

e: Reading the summary on Wikipedia (been a while since I've seen the film) the episode is practically 1:1 with the stuff that happens so I'm gonna assume he was.

Yep, it's heavily inspired (and some parts directly lifted from) by Duel. The café fight works out better for the gang than it did for Dennis Weaver, though.

Fun fact: Duel and Christine (the 2nd blatant reference in the ep) both feature Plymouths, the Valiant and the Fury respectively.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For now, just enjoy the weird Stands. Things will pick up a bit later on.
So many people have said this since the third episode. When does this actually happen?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you're still not having fun with stands, I'm sorry but your soul is dead.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, give up, go home, enjoy something almost certainly worse.

Jojo day is the best day.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
This is actually the turning point, after this and arguably the next fight we start getting into the really good poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Episode 10 is the turning point for me.

I do agree that early part 3 is bit too slow and some of the fights aren't that great, but Araki was still figuring out how stands worked at this point and it's still pretty cool.

People tend to keep saying that things will pick up because fights get better and better compared to early part 3 (with arguably one or two exception).

VVVVVVVV: Personally, I kind of like Wheel of Fortune, it looks pretty rad visually, I like the high pressure gasoline bullets, and the fact that his user skipped leg day (and torso day, etc...).

The guy being left to die chained up to a rock is pretty funny as well. :v: I guess the problem is that it's a car version of Strength, but even then I think it shows how Araki is improving, since Strength didn't do much in the end in terms of attacks.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 27, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I think Wheel of Fortune was the last really lame Stand.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Remember kids, full body workouts are important! If you just do curls while at the gym, everyone will laugh at you.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Remember kids, full body workouts are important! If you just do curls while at the gym, everyone will laugh at you.

A rare :keke: from Jotaro.

Polnareff's laugh is the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's something eerie about Jotaro smiling.

• Locked thread