Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I noticed godaddy was not mentioned on the domain registrar discussion. Their support was knowledgeable on the one occasion I interacted with them,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

godaddy is also the worst.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yea, don't go with Godaddy.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Please don't use godaddy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've had a dedicated server through Future Hosting for years in their Chicago DC and it's been great. Up until recently that is, when my download speed will slow to a 32KB/s crawl for hours on end. During the slowness I can speedtest my connection and get 3MB/s. I was also able to download a test file on the server from an AWS machine and it hit 10MB/s. So both me and the server have plenty of bandwidth to spare, is it just my routing that is hosed or something? Too many people around here watching Netflix?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

fletcher posted:

I've had a dedicated server through Future Hosting for years in their Chicago DC and it's been great. Up until recently that is, when my download speed will slow to a 32KB/s crawl for hours on end. During the slowness I can speedtest my connection and get 3MB/s. I was also able to download a test file on the server from an AWS machine and it hit 10MB/s. So both me and the server have plenty of bandwidth to spare, is it just my routing that is hosed or something? Too many people around here watching Netflix?

Does it happen continuously during set intervals or sporadically? If so, network congestion somewhere along the path between your connection and the data center (most likely data center). You could use something like webpagetest.org with a simple page stuffed of data to ascertain download speeds from other places across the globe - or - just do a traceroute (mtr/winmtr) and look for congestion via high pings.

If sporadically, it's probably a Broadcom NIC :argh:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nem posted:

Does it happen continuously during set intervals or sporadically? If so, network congestion somewhere along the path between your connection and the data center (most likely data center). You could use something like webpagetest.org with a simple page stuffed of data to ascertain download speeds from other places across the globe - or - just do a traceroute (mtr/winmtr) and look for congestion via high pings.

If sporadically, it's probably a Broadcom NIC :argh:

It seems to be fairly set intervals when I would expect congestion to be fairly high (evenings and sundays). I did a mtr report and it looked like this:

code:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                                 unknown -    0 | 1396 | 1396 |    0 |    0 |    2 |    0 |

|                              homeportal -    0 | 1396 | 1396 |    0 |    0 |    4 |    0 |

|99-22-48-3.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net -   51 |  461 |  227 |   21 |   26 |   98 |   21 |

|                            71.145.0.208 -  100 |  280 |    1 |    0 |   22 |   22 |   22 |

|                            12.83.39.141 -    0 | 1396 | 1396 |   21 |   23 |   35 |   24 |

|                  cgcil405me3.ip.att.net -    0 | 1396 | 1396 |   72 |   79 |  196 |   72 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  279 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|         border5.po1-bbnet1.chg.pnap.net -    1 | 1364 | 1356 |    0 |   79 |  220 |   73 |

|       futurehost-5.border5.chg.pnap.net -    1 | 1344 | 1331 |   73 |   74 |  101 |   74 |

|                          173.249.151.71 -    1 | 1364 | 1356 |   73 |   74 |   94 |   73 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
I filed a ticket with the host and they said there were no reported issues and it was probably an issue between me and the datacenter. So maybe just time to get my server closer to the west coast?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

fletcher posted:

I filed a ticket with the host and they said there were no reported issues and it was probably an issue between me and the datacenter. So maybe just time to get my server closer to the west coast?

If they said that as a conclusive thing, then yeah, I'd say maybe look elsewhere.

if they asked you for more information to help troubleshoot, then see where the ticket goes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

ICMP drops in the middle of a path don't mean poo poo. Also look at the reverse path when troubleshooting end to end connectivity problems.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Comradephate posted:

If they said that as a conclusive thing, then yeah, I'd say maybe look elsewhere.

if they asked you for more information to help troubleshoot, then see where the ticket goes.

It sounded pretty conclusive. I've been able to reproduce the slowness from a completely different locations in California now. They asked for the mtr report and I provided it, and they said there's no indication the issue is with something they control.

doomisland posted:

ICMP drops in the middle of a path don't mean poo poo. Also look at the reverse path when troubleshooting end to end connectivity problems.

What causes that anyways? And for the reverse path, that's just running mtr from the server to me right?

At any rate, Future Hosting offered to make an exception and give me a server in their Santa Clara data center (with double the disk and ram) so I'm gonna take them up on it. Hopefully that will resolve my issue!

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

fletcher posted:

It sounded pretty conclusive. I've been able to reproduce the slowness from a completely different locations in California now. They asked for the mtr report and I provided it, and they said there's no indication the issue is with something they control.

What causes that anyways? And for the reverse path, that's just running mtr from the server to me right?

At any rate, Future Hosting offered to make an exception and give me a server in their Santa Clara data center (with double the disk and ram) so I'm gonna take them up on it. Hopefully that will resolve my issue!

Yes, it's just a mtr from the server to your IP. Dropped ping replies are caused by network policies that throttle or filter echo replies out entirely. There could be QoS implemented somewhere upstream in the network. That would be evident in your reduced bandwidth throughput during peak hours, but not necessarily ping times.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Also if a busy router gets a lot of pings there is rate limiting built in to the control plane/linecard cpu which is usually answering the ICMP TTL exceeded packets. So while your ping is dropped the forwarding plane can be happily humming along not dropping anything.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 27, 2014

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I killed off an EC2 instance with 550 days of uptime today. That thing deserves some kind of medal.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
There's a Mac Mini (cheapest one, not the server) in our colo that runs four virtual machines, a Mumble server, and most importantly my own personal instances of cookie clicker and a Minecraft server. It's at 306 days. My MBPr can't go a week without needing a force restart for one reason or another. I wonder if I can downgrade to 10.8.3?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Google are starting to offer domain registrations

https://domains.google.com/about/

Looks like they're aiming at the amateur / first-time buyer market though

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I see a lot of you choose VPS' from Linode, Digital Ocean and etc and I wonder why you guys pick them over something like AWS?

I'm really new to all this VPS stuff, so I'm just curious.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Windy posted:

I see a lot of you choose VPS' from Linode, Digital Ocean and etc and I wonder why you guys pick them over something like AWS?

AWS is not the same thing as DO. AWS means you can quite literally lose entire countries of datacentres and remain online (with a price to match), and can't be treated the same as Linode/DO.

Basically, if you are using AWS, your application should be able to bootstrap itself to a ready state, expecting no data to persist on the OS disk between reboots.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Comradephate posted:

I killed off an EC2 instance with 550 days of uptime today. That thing deserves some kind of medal.
Imagine the box it's running on.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Misogynist posted:

Imagine the box it's running on.

It was rocking some fatty X5550 Xeons, state of the art 2009.

Lord Windy posted:

Cloud instance =/= VPS. DO is something of a middle ground, but basically the discussion is cattle vs. pets.

It's like this: If you're in AWS (or whatever) and there's a single instance anywhere in your environment that you can't handle losing without any warning, you are setting yourself up for failure. The same is true to some extent with any multi-tenant environment, but with a VPS there is some expectation that you're going to be pissed off of your VPS goes down. If an instance on AWS goes down Amazon is not going to give a poo poo. If it's EBS backed then you can reboot it somewhere else, but if it's instance store backed, it's just gone now.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Oh, I had some expectation that my instance would keep going for as long as I was willing to pay for it. Is it common for instances to turn off? Is there a way for me to launch a new instance immediately (and automatically) if one dies.

It's all very new to me, but if my website or database went down I would be kinda pissed.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.

Lord Windy posted:

Oh, I had some expectation that my instance would keep going for as long as I was willing to pay for it. Is it common for instances to turn off? Is there a way for me to launch a new instance immediately (and automatically) if one dies.

It's all very new to me, but if my website or database went down I would be kinda pissed.

It's not common or normal, but things break. It's your responsibility to set up redundancy at AWS. You could pay less to run a single server, or more to set up load balancing, a separate database server and whatever else you might need. Not that you shouldn't keep redundancy in mind at DO and elsewhere.

I think you could set up Auto Scaling in AWS to spin up a new server if your single instance breaks in the middle of the night or something. Or use it to always keep (at least) two working web servers behind a load balancer.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Windy posted:

AWS:
Your database should not be stored in EBS. Your database should be stored in RDS, with guaranteed IOPS. Your website should not be on a single EC2 instance, but multiple, behind ELB.

Basically, stop thinking LAMP stack on a single machine or anything like that. EC2 -> compute. nothing else.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 29, 2014

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

NOTinuyasha posted:

There's a Mac Mini (cheapest one, not the server) in our colo that runs four virtual machines, a Mumble server, and most importantly my own personal instances of cookie clicker and a Minecraft server. It's at 306 days. My MBPr can't go a week without needing a force restart for one reason or another. I wonder if I can downgrade to 10.8.3?

Haha I started to do the same for my cookie clicker. How many life time cookies are you at?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Any reason not to use https://pointhq.com/ ?
Anyone got a better DNS host to recommend?

I've been handling all my DNS stuff directly through DigitalOcean for a while. I want to dissociate it so that if I ever change host I won't have to redo all the MX records and stuff.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I've personally used dns.he.net for a very long time with no problems what so ever. A lot of other people have as well. It's worth looking into at least :)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I've personally used dns.he.net for a very long time with no problems what so ever. A lot of other people have as well. It's worth looking into at least :)

Hurricane's free DNS hosting is excellent. If your site isn't revenue-generating then HE is the way to go, though it's run by professionals and is reliable enough that you could run a business website on it. If nothing else, they'll also act as secondary nameservers for your zone, and you can have the primary anywhere you want.

If you want fancy features like vanity nameservers, HTTP redirects, wildcard CNAMEs, DNS-based failover, zone templates, or an SLA and you're willing to pay a little, DNS Made Easy is worth a look.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys. I love how minimal and 90s that HE site is (makes me feel like a professional), but I think I do need some of those "fancy features" so I'll probably go for DNS Made Easy (whose name makes me feel like the opposite of a professional).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've got what is undoubtedly a stupid question for the wise denizens of the thread. I recently started at a new job and one of the projects my boss wants to have at least presentable by October is a web startup that shall remain nameless--not least for which that it has virtually nothing beyond the concept fleshed out. What I've been tasked with is bringing the little assets we have back to our control from the partner who put together the tech aspects, but is now distancing himself from the project.

The company is unfortunate enough to have purchased hosting and a domain name from GoDaddy, whether at the behest of another partner or the tech guy, I don't know. Thing is, he misspelled what he purchased and had to go back and buy the correct domain name. Now the misspelled one and the correctly-spelled are up, the latter with content, but I cannot for the life of me find how to access it. Admittedly, this is where my competencies flag and I may simply be missing something abundantly obvious.

We have the password to the GoDaddy account home to the host (misspelled) and the domain (correctly spelled), but the former appears to hold none of the latter. He asserts it simply redirects, but I can't find any indication of this in GoDaddy and the Joomla login info he provided us only works for the content-less site.

If any of all that makes sense, what make you all of it?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Amazon R53 or bust for DNS. It barely costs anything per month. I've noticed that domains and DNS are two common questions. Can we get that info added to the OP?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've got what is undoubtedly a stupid question for the wise denizens of the thread. I recently started at a new job and one of the projects my boss wants to have at least presentable by October is a web startup that shall remain nameless--not least for which that it has virtually nothing beyond the concept fleshed out. What I've been tasked with is bringing the little assets we have back to our control from the partner who put together the tech aspects, but is now distancing himself from the project.

The company is unfortunate enough to have purchased hosting and a domain name from GoDaddy, whether at the behest of another partner or the tech guy, I don't know. Thing is, he misspelled what he purchased and had to go back and buy the correct domain name. Now the misspelled one and the correctly-spelled are up, the latter with content, but I cannot for the life of me find how to access it. Admittedly, this is where my competencies flag and I may simply be missing something abundantly obvious.

We have the password to the GoDaddy account home to the host (misspelled) and the domain (correctly spelled), but the former appears to hold none of the latter. He asserts it simply redirects, but I can't find any indication of this in GoDaddy and the Joomla login info he provided us only works for the content-less site.

If any of all that makes sense, what make you all of it?

The GoDaddy Customer account login should show all of the stuff in their control panel. Did they go out of their way to purchase both domains under separate accounts or some such?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Rawrbomb posted:

The GoDaddy Customer account login should show all of the stuff in their control panel. Did they go out of their way to purchase both domains under separate accounts or some such?
That's the only explanation I can come up with, as the IP address and nameservers of the one are different from the other and I can't find a hint of the files for the correct site in the host's files. That being said, I worry I'm missing something obvious because the history of the project is all too full of interpersonal drama.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hi there, looking for a bit of guidance.
A customer of mine has decided to try his hand at selling products which I find dubious at best (legal highs) and I said while I didn't want to do the site for him I'd find out about where to host it and what payment processor to use.

I think he'd just get suspended using traditional hosts and banned by the Paypals of this world?

Thanks in advance.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

peter gabriel posted:

Hi there, looking for a bit of guidance.
A customer of mine has decided to try his hand at selling products which I find dubious at best (legal highs) and I said while I didn't want to do the site for him I'd find out about where to host it and what payment processor to use.

I think he'd just get suspended using traditional hosts and banned by the Paypals of this world?

Thanks in advance.

Can you tell us exactly what he's selling? If its legal to sell, it's legal to host the site selling it.
I for one would have no issues hosting a site that sells legal stuff, even if people consider it morally wrong.

I think Skrill and Moneybookers are used more than Paypal for things that Paypal frowns on.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
SWIM has heard that "Freedom Hosting" is good for this kind of thing.

As for the payment processor: how about Bitcoin? It's easy to use, there are no fees, and it's 100% anonymous.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

SWIM has heard that "Freedom Hosting" is good for this kind of thing.

As for the payment processor: how about Bitcoin? It's easy to use, there are no fees, and it's 100% anonymous.
I've heard good about their hosting, the public method of the payment processor makes audits and handling chargebacks a breeze.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The products are legal, as far as I understand it it's the stuff that is chemically altered so as not to be 'quite' cocaine anymore (for example) - stuff like this:

http://www.iceheadshop.co.uk/Gogaine_1g_p/2.htm

I don't mind helping them out but want to be a bit hands off more than anything, it's not something that sits well with me and they are cool with that.

I'll look into the payment processors mentioned as well, thanks :)

Darklotus I amy just go with you at https://lithiumhosting.com/hosting - it all looks good.
Is WHOIS hiding possible from you if we register the domain?

Thanks again all.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Darklotus I amy just go with you at https://lithiumhosting.com/hosting - it all looks good.
Is WHOIS hiding possible from you if we register the domain?

Lithium Hosting offers free WHOIS Protection when you register/transfer domains with them :rock:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

eightysixed posted:

Lithium Hosting offers free WHOIS Protection when you register/transfer domains with them :rock:

Sweet!
The reason for all this secrecy is because they have pretty much stumbled across an opportunity to sell some of these things, their day to day business is whiter than white so they don't want to really be associated with this.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

The products are legal, as far as I understand it it's the stuff that is chemically altered so as not to be 'quite' cocaine anymore

IANAL but this doesn't seem legal at least in the US [and therefore paypal] (S. 3190 (IS) - SYNTHETIC DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION ACT OF 2012) which kind of is an across the board ban on any of the 'modifiers' no matter what they are because DEA got sick of individually banning substances/chemicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Biowarfare posted:

IANAL but this doesn't seem legal at least in the US [and therefore paypal] (S. 3190 (IS) - SYNTHETIC DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION ACT OF 2012) which kind of is an across the board ban on any of the 'modifiers' no matter what they are because DEA got sick of individually banning substances/chemicals

Yeah it's a grey area kind of thing at best from here in the UK - The govt basically says that a substance is only legal because the ban hasn't gone through yet, I think they are looking at speeding up that process as well as closing other loopholes soon.
They are labelled usually as 'research chemicals' and not to be used by humans and things like that, which is the big loophole at the moment.

So technically, yes they are legal here until they are officially banned. Odd situation really.