Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been thinking about buying/renting Ground Zeroes for a while. How much other Metal Gear Solid stuff do I need to know to play it? I've beaten all the main games except Peace Walker, but I get a headache just thinking about all the byzantine continuity from all those games that I've already forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It directly follows Peacewalker!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Excellent choice.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Petition to make Phenomena the official movie of Cinema Discusso

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Signed, but with the proviso that I reserve the right to change my vote if Race With The Devil becomes a candidate.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If Only God Forgives is any indication

Only God Forgives is pure cinema.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FishBulb posted:

It directly follows Peacewalker!

Like, the entire Ground Zeroes game is exclusively centered around characters who are introduced in Peace Walker, and deals very much with the events of Peace Walker as well. You're probably gonna be confused.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Crappy Jack posted:

Like, the entire Ground Zeroes game is exclusively centered around characters who are introduced in Peace Walker, and deals very much with the events of Peace Walker as well. You're probably gonna be confused.

Yeah, I spent all (one hour)of Ground Zeroes having absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on. I'm gonna have to watch Chip and Ironicus' LP I guess.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I have Peace Walker, so this'll give me an excuse to save up the money anyway. And I finally get to dust off the ol' PSP. I don't know why I want a Vita so bad when I hardly ever use its predecessor…

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The good news is Peace Walker is the best one.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you don't have your PSP modded for SNES games on the go, you're doing it wrong. Also if you're not playing Peace Walker on the HD collection you're doing it double-wrong. :smugmrgw:

Also I don't get why everyone shits on Ground Zeroes for being short, it's a budget game that's basically a supersized demo for the real MGSV. Pretty sure it being short was kind of a given.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

General Ironicus posted:

The good news is Peace Walker is the best one.

Yep, it's Metal Gear with cutscenes that don't go on for hours, plus a Pokemon game attached. You go into enemy bases and kidnap dudes with balloons. You can easily get them to surrender to said ballooning by holding them up with a banana.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CloseFriend posted:

I have Peace Walker, so this'll give me an excuse to save up the money anyway. And I finally get to dust off the ol' PSP. I don't know why I want a Vita so bad when I hardly ever use its predecessor…

I want a Vita because I have 6,000 VITA games from PS+.

Although with the PSTV coming out I'm just gonna get that instead.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also I don't get why everyone shits on Ground Zeroes for being short, it's a budget game that's basically a supersized demo for the real MGSV. Pretty sure it being short was kind of a given.

I know this isn't only directed at me, but I was just kidding. I bought it knowing it was going to be short and completely understand what they were going for with it (besides not understanding what happened).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The only reason to get a vita is to have Spelunky in your pocket (well not really unless you still wear JNCOs)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I assume that you aren't referring to the John Travolta / Flowers for Algernon 90s movie where a scientific experiment is replaced by a brain tumor and/or the hand of god.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've been getting a lot of spam mail at work lately. It's fairly unremarkable stuff - finance scams, dating scams, etc. What's strange is that there is usually semi-hidden text in them after the main body of the email. It's usually a light yellow text used, and it's hard to read. Here's the latest one I received:

quote:

DE 36 and it assumes the name Hickman Road. HMS Galatea at Uboat. Atta Memorial Lectures were instituted in memory of Paa Willie after his death. In 1981, the Halifax was converted to Section 8 housing for senior citizens. A beekeeper has moved into the house. On his first acquaintance with Kate, the latter realises she will have to pretend to be common, or Marlow will not woo her. Blood tends to pool in the elbows, where swelling may then occur. CV seen in this episode. Kanvamutt parampara recorded history of Kanvamutt. Nancy married Chris Benoit on November 23, 2000. By the 1940s, Griffith's daughter Mae had added food to the tavern. With the assistance of the Doctor, Paris and Tuvok learn to communicate with the woman, named Noss. Command, Harpers Ferry, Virginia, September 1862. For the next two months only limited demonstrations were conducted against the Confederates. Dining facilities in Matraville cater to just about every taste preference. MediaWorks, showing the twelve original characters. Recorded at the Centre Culturel Americain in Paris, France on May 12, 1970. Blues Explosion website . Edward Stanford, London, 1862 p. Cambridge University Press website on 10 Nov 2007. In 2011 Sheherbano Husain restarted the group. Hubble Space Telescope Call for Proposals, Chapter 3. Kraftwerk had previously been renowned for. A third was also accidentally destroyed after the war. He graduated in the class of 1912 and was commissioned an ensign. A look at the meaning of a song by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill as interpreted by The Doors. Black Creek, and Bigelow Creek cross the town. Harold Teams and has the distinction of being the only team to maintain all of its original members. European in its thinking. The reduction in rolling resistance leads to better fuel efficiency. House of Prayer No. September 1944 with target raft no. Mission duration was 5 days, 23 hours and 38 minutes. Global 500 Roll of Honour. The bank itself contributed more than seven million euros, including more than one million donated by its employees. They also have the typical demon characteristics of immunity to poison and electricity, and resistance to fire, cold and acid. Gaza, along with approximately 22 UN international staff members. Conservation is the quickest, cheapest, most practical source of energy. February 27, 1971, p. The Million Dollar Bridge, Portland, ME. Oberkotzau by purchase in 1698. Yonge Street was being laid out. In 1918, Winnifred met Alois Van Tongerloo and the two were married in 1923. LP, but a miscommunication between the band and Virgin saw a negative photographic effect used as opposed to a solarising one. The chef was selected as one of the bottom entries in the Elimination Challenge, but was not eliminated. Cadillac Motor Car Div. Duke and Duchess could bequeath them to whomsoever they wished.

What the gently caress is the point of this? Is this some sort of code? Is it there to try and trick spam filters?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I assume that you aren't referring to the John Travolta / Flowers for Algernon 90s movie where a scientific experiment is replaced by a brain tumor and/or the hand of god.

The Travolta one one is Phenomenon.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've been getting a lot of spam mail at work lately. It's fairly unremarkable stuff - finance scams, dating scams, etc. What's strange is that there is usually semi-hidden text in them after the main body of the email. It's usually a light yellow text used, and it's hard to read. Here's the latest one I received:

What the gently caress is the point of this? Is this some sort of code? Is it there to try and trick spam filters?

Obviously you are a sleeper agent, and this email has activated you for your mission.

Oh my god hahahaha "The bank itself contributed more than seven million euros, including more than one million donated by its employees. They also have the typical demon characteristics of immunity to poison and electricity, and resistance to fire, cold and acid."

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 27, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

That's Phenomenon, poser.

Phenomena is the Dario Argento joint starring Donald Pleasance and introducing Jennifer Connelly, featuring also Daria Nicolodi, a chimpanzee, a deformed child, and multiple swarms of insects. Soundtrack by Claudio Simonetti, Brian Eno, Iron Maiden and Motorhead.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If Only God Forgives is any indication, Refn can be kind of dumb.

I thought you liked it? Or am I thinking of someone else here?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Yaws posted:

Plenty of people here like it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

I did like it, I just can't pass up a cheap joke. It's silly and pretentious, but I enjoyed it a lot all the same.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Paging Dickeye. Your ability to suffer through Spawn poo poo is requested.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Paging Dickeye. Your ability to suffer through Spawn poo poo is requested.

I may be able to answer embarrassing questions about Spawn in his absence.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

For some reason, whenever people play up a movie as especially polarizing—like Godzilla or Only God Forgives—I usually find myself feeling mostly lukewarm towards it. I can see why people like it and why people hate it, but these "polarizing" moves always fail to make me feel strongly about them.

But then, there are plenty of poorly-received movies that I adore, like Southland Tales, The Supreme Swordsman, The Avenging Fist, and Electra Glide in Blue. I even really liked Even Cowgirls Get the Blues!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CloseFriend posted:

For some reason, whenever people play up a movie as especially polarizing—like Godzilla or Only God Forgives—I usually find myself feeling mostly lukewarm towards it. I can see why people like it and why people hate it, but these "polarizing" moves always fail to make me feel strongly about them.

But then, there are plenty of poorly-received movies that I adore, like Southland Tales, The Supreme Swordsman, The Avenging Fist, and Electra Glide in Blue. I even really liked Even Cowgirls Get the Blues!

All I know is like the vast majority of films that I wouldn't normally have seen but watched because CineD seemed to like them have left me lukewarm. I rarely hate them but I'm also rarely impressed.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To expand on that a bit, I've found out that a lot of the Spawn video games are actually not bad at all (there's like one straight-up bad one out of six, which is a crazy batting average for such a lovely license) and I kinda want to LP as many of them as I can.

The problem with this is, my knowledge of Spawn lore pretty much boils down to half-remembered poo poo from the HBO show and the movie, and the ones I've played so far explain pretty much jack poo poo. The SNES game has you fight Overt-Kill in the first boss fight and literally doesn't even tell you his name until the rematch, so if you don't know who he is it's just some random cyborg guy out of nowhere who hits you really hard. So I want someone who's read the comics to co-commentate and hopefully explain what in the hell is going on so I don't have to say "because reasons," "because 90s comics" and "because gently caress you that's why" every time I try to fill in some of the gaps these games are leaving.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

To expand on that a bit, I've found out that a lot of the Spawn video games are actually not bad at all (there's like one straight-up bad one out of six, which is a crazy batting average for such a lovely license) and I kinda want to LP as many of them as I can.

The problem with this is, my knowledge of Spawn lore pretty much boils down to half-remembered poo poo from the HBO show and the movie, and the ones I've played so far explain pretty much jack poo poo. The SNES game has you fight Overt-Kill in the first boss fight and literally doesn't even tell you his name until the rematch, so if you don't know who he is it's just some random cyborg guy out of nowhere who hits you really hard. So I want someone who's read the comics to co-commentate and hopefully explain what in the hell is going on so I don't have to say "because reasons," "because 90s comics" and "because gently caress you that's why" every time I try to fill in some of the gaps these games are leaving.

Ah if we're getting into videogame territory then I have no idea. I think I played that one SNES game way back in the day and maybe that one version of Soul Caliber 2 where he showed up.

"Because '90s comics/Because gently caress you that's why" really will answer most of your questions though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axleblaze posted:

All I know is like the vast majority of films that I wouldn't normally have seen but watched because CineD seemed to like them have left me lukewarm. I rarely hate them but I'm also rarely impressed.

That implies some homogenous CineD consensus. The films I've watched because people here whose taste I trust have recommended them have rarely disappointed, and some I've liked alot. There is no undifferentiated "CineD". (Is there?).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

That implies some homogenous CineD consensus. The films I've watched because people here whose taste I trust have recommended them have rarely disappointed, and some I've liked alot. There is no undifferentiated "CineD". (Is there?).

If you liked Battleship, you're CineD as gently caress.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you liked Battleship, you're CineD as gently caress.

And also, you have bad taste.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noxville posted:

And also, you have bad taste.

Let's not be redundant.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I'm not saying there's a single hivemind but there are alot of movies goons, especially in genchat, push hard that just haven't seemed interesting to me and I went and saw them and low and behold they were not that interesting to me. There are some big exceptions but often when I've seen a movie that I didn't think would appeal to me but was assured by many people in here that it was in fact amazing, I was left pretty underwhelmed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Let me tell you about how [badly reviewed film] is in fact a genius work of Pure Cinema.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

therattle posted:

That's my favorite part of CineD, though, that we have posters who have varied opinions. I quit posting in Games and BSS because I didn't fit in there because I tend to have weird opinions about comics and video games. Here I've never felt impelled to follow a party line or have a certain taste in a certain thing. I mean, once in a while people will say an opinion is "objectively wrong" or something, but it's mostly—if not always—in good fun.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

axleblaze posted:

I mostly just find them ("them", whatever they are) kind of tedious. I guess I'm just not a big fan of playing mental parlor games while watching a movie the first time around. That or I just have a really, really low tolerance for Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Literally The Worst posted:

I was reading this and thinking "Wow this is some sloppy beej games as art poo poo" and then hit the name and just went "Whoa" out loud.

At least he wasn't ranting about jews.

therattle posted:

Like Blacula? Are you talking about Blacula?

Noxville posted:

Let me tell you about how [badly reviewed film] is in fact a genius work of Pure Cinema.

Why do you hate fun?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh lord, I just got out of seeing Trans4mers and I have a lot of words to write about it when I get home to my computer later. There's a bit in this movie about statutory rape that I think will be a particularly interesting conversation piece.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh lord, I just got out of seeing Trans4mers and I have a lot of words to write about it when I get home to my computer later. There's a bit in this movie about statutory rape that I think will be a particularly interesting conversation piece.

Somehow I don't think it will.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yo, anyone who has the ability to see Calvary and hasn't is sleeping on a fantastic film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing you write more on this because what you posted on twitter is pretty :stare: already.

• Locked thread