Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Piell posted:

Make dailies per-session or per-adventure section.

If I do this I'm still stuck having to have a certain number of fights per session or players will just nova their dailies. I want a solution that works whether players have one fight before resting or if they have ten.

starkebn posted:

I haven't been able to play this way, but I'm fond of the idea of only being able to use one of your 'dailies' per encounter - and them recharging every encounter. So call them something else and just use extended rests to replenish surges and HP

Won't that just lead to players using their one favourite daily every single fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That plan breaks down once utilities are considered. "Do you want to be able to heal later or would you like to deal damage now" usually isn't a very interesting choice and it's one that can have severe ramifications if they get it wrong.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

At first I thought "but I want to keep dragons as a more special thing" but then that level 4 black dragon was right there in the Monster Vault. A dragon swamp serpent it is!

The level 4 black dragon is great. I was using him as a 'winged demon' with my level 3 players. They seemed to be doing p well against it although we had to end the session before the encounter was over.

I only had 3 players that session though. If you want to give your 6 player group a challenge, you could maybe have them fight 2 at the same time and drop their health down to 140 or something?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gort posted:

If I do this I'm still stuck having to have a certain number of fights per session or players will just nova their dailies. I want a solution that works whether players have one fight before resting or if they have ten.

I'm not sure such a possibility exists with 4e as currently implemented; a certain degree of weardown/attrition is built into the system. I've had similar problems with "wilderness" adventures -- since they party's been camping for 4 days, it's pretty hard to challenge them with ANY kind of single encounter unless it's tremendously over-level.

You could do something with Milestones/Action Points, weakening the players after an extended rest but building them up over the day/adventure. For what it's work, I usually treat "ADVENTURE" as the Extended Rest, and then I add a "Full Rest" every time they set up camp: +2 Healing Surges, +1 Daily Power.

Gort posted:

Won't that just lead to players using their one favourite daily every single fight?

So what? I could see this being a problem if there's one really spammy/exploitable power that they definitely want to use all the time, but for the most part you should be able to incentivize a little bit of decision making on the players' part for what daily they want to use.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hubis posted:

I'm not sure such a possibility exists with 4e as currently implemented; a certain degree of weardown/attrition is built into the system. I've had similar problems with "wilderness" adventures -- since they party's been camping for 4 days, it's pretty hard to challenge them with ANY kind of single encounter unless it's tremendously over-level.

That's one of the problems I'm about to face as well, I'm afraid - single random encounters in the wilderniss are aplenty, but they just won't be a real challenge with an extended rest around the corner. I've been thinking about several things to make things challenging nonetheless - maybe the 4e experts can shed some light on whether they're good ideas.

- Make most encounters have lasting consequences. For example, an encounter destroys an important route - winning the encounter is more about preventing, dunno, orcs from hacking through a rope bridge or whatnot, and if they fail, they have to go through hazardous terrain and lose the element of surprise.
- Deal damage through more than just hp. For example, use enemies that carry diseases, steal or break equipment, attack important goods/NPCs rather than PCs or that destroy loot.
- Interrupt extended rests occasionally - bonus points if you do it based on what the PCs failed previously. There's plenty that can go wrong at night... And resting at day, when all the deadly predators can see you? Madness! In fact, you should ONLY do this if the players clearly have failed something, because otherwise, it just gets annoying. They do have to be aware of the danger, though.
- Introduce area hazards that make extended rests less effective: for example, you have power regeneration, but NO healing surges. Or with each rest, you breath more of the poisonous air and accumulate higher penalties...

Some thoughts? Or, better yet: additional ideas on how to keep single wilderness encounters challenging despite constant possibilities for extended rest?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Torquemadras posted:

Some thoughts? Or, better yet: additional ideas on how to keep single wilderness encounters challenging despite constant possibilities for extended rest?
It might be tough to get players on board mid-campaign, but you could always try making extended rests "a long weekend at a nice inn" instead of "8 hours of sleep". And if you need a rest mid-dungeon there's always the inexplicable magical grove like in Quest for Glory 1 or something similar.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Unless it serves some story purpose, I just handwave wilderness encounters and have the players come up with funny stories about what happened on the way across the desert or whatever. "Remember when jimbo spilled the waterskin and we got attacked by salt lizards? Good times" et cetera and we can spend more time in dungeons or with npcs.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Roctavian posted:

Unless it serves some story purpose, I just handwave wilderness encounters and have the players come up with funny stories about what happened on the way across the desert or whatever. "Remember when jimbo spilled the waterskin and we got attacked by salt lizards? Good times" et cetera and we can spend more time in dungeons or with npcs.

This is one key thing I've learned: it's basically really hard to have "inconsequential combat" in 4e, due to the depth of the fighting systems and how managed by the rest of the game (resources, etc). Even the easiest/simplest of fights is either boring, or drawn out long past it's being a forgone conclusion, or (often) both. Thus, the instinct to roll wandering encounters or whatnot that you might have can really be counter-productive in 4e because it can eat up such a tremendous portion of the session for little gain in advancing the narrative. Instead, 4e lends itself a bit more towards the "planned adventure" (though not necessarily railroading) than it does the "hex crawl" style of play. I've had to really learn to fight the urge to throw random encounters at players when they spend too much time wandering around between story beats, since that only ends up exacerbating the problem.

The reinterpretation of "Extended Rest" as "A full night in the inn", or "a week/month between adventures", or whatever is a good move I think because it gives you more control over the pacing. From there you can maintain tension by giving the players a moderate reward while resting, or even go so far as to say "these woods are dangerous and the conditions inhospitable; you regain little stamina from a night's sleep in the wilderness" (thus letting them recover nothing while wandering). If they're not getting their Big Reset every day in the woods, then it allows you to handwave events and do things like ask for Climbing/Nature/Athletics/Endurance checks, and hit anyone who fails for -1 Healing Surge.

Basically, keep the real combats to story beats, plot-centric stuff, or things that really have to be "battles"; everything else you should abstract by a degree or two if you can. The "Big Reset" of Extended Rests gives you very few things you can punish like that, but if you change those rules somewhat then you have a lot more options.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hubis posted:

So what? I could see this being a problem if there's one really spammy/exploitable power that they definitely want to use all the time, but for the most part you should be able to incentivize a little bit of decision making on the players' part for what daily they want to use.

Some dailies become no-brainers if you could use them every encounter. The one I have in my mind at the moment is the fighter one that hits all enemies who end their turn next to you for 1[W]+str and lasts all encounter. It's fine as long as it's not going to happen every fight, but under the proposed system it would.

I want a solution where players still need to use even their worst dailies.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I've told my players straight up that "extended rests" can only happen after (usually) 4 encounters.

I may formalize it into recharging per Act, since I'm running Zeitgeist...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Frankosity posted:

I've got a question that maybe a more experienced GM can answer, on that note: near the conclusion of the module, it says that the vault itself contains treasure equal to 10 level 3 treasure parcels. Should I assume that that means just to actually use the level 3 treasure parcel list? So, 4 magic items from levels 7-4 and ~900 gold?

That's what it means, but I didn't; assuming you're using inherent bonuses, that's a lot of treasure to be giving a Dark Sun group at that level. I gave my group about half; one steel weapon, one pair of magic boots, and half the recommended gold.

Frankosity posted:

Incidentally, what makes Marauders so bad?

It's really bad at evoking the Dark Sun feel** right from the start, what with the dwarf representative giving out scrolls to adventurers in a city where reading is illegal, and hands out way too much treasure. It's absurdly unbalanced; the first encounter is demoralizingly hard and feels arbitrary and out of place, with a templar from Urik randomly assaulting the party in Tyr, and there's a fight later against a level 8 (brute, no less), a level 5 and an elite level 4 when it's entirely possible the party is still level 2 (and which also feels arbitrary and out of place). There's almost no plot to speak of, just a series of fifteen encounters that might as well be on literal tracks for all they have to do with one another. Even the "dungeon" is a railroad; it doesn't have a single side room or any direction to explore that's not "forward." And when the party gets through all that, the "climax" is the big throwdown with the forces of the raider lord that the adventure has been discussing and dropping notes about, but that the characters won't have heard of at all unless they decide, unprompted, to make a Streetwise check at one of two points in the adventure (the first of which they may not even get a chance to).

**EDIT: I'm reminded that there's also a ton of water. "The water from the stream gathers in the center of the tunnel leading to area F2, creating a pool 15 feet deep. A character can cross the pool by making a running long jump across the narrowest portion (DC 9 Athletics check)."

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tzirean posted:

That's what it means, but I didn't; assuming you're using inherent bonuses, that's a lot of treasure to be giving a Dark Sun group at that level. I gave my group about half; one steel weapon, one pair of magic boots, and half the recommended gold.

It's really bad at evoking the Dark Sun feel** right from the start, what with the dwarf representative giving out scrolls to adventurers in a city where reading is illegal, and hands out way too much treasure. It's absurdly unbalanced; the first encounter is demoralizingly hard and feels arbitrary and out of place, with a templar from Urik randomly assaulting the party in Tyr, and there's a fight later against a level 8 (brute, no less), a level 5 and an elite level 4 when it's entirely possible the party is still level 2 (and which also feels arbitrary and out of place). There's almost no plot to speak of, just a series of fifteen encounters that might as well be on literal tracks for all they have to do with one another. Even the "dungeon" is a railroad; it doesn't have a single side room or any direction to explore that's not "forward." And when the party gets through all that, the "climax" is the big throwdown with the forces of the raider lord that the adventure has been discussing and dropping notes about, but that the characters won't have heard of at all unless they decide, unprompted, to make a Streetwise check at one of two points in the adventure (the first of which they may not even get a chance to).

**EDIT: I'm reminded that there's also a ton of water. "The water from the stream gathers in the center of the tunnel leading to area F2, creating a pool 15 feet deep. A character can cross the pool by making a running long jump across the narrowest portion (DC 9 Athletics check)."

So essentially it's constructed like a pre-Murder at Baldur's Gate Encounters module, i.e.: X poorly-balanced encounters with some "read-this-aloud" sections instead of decisions for anyone to make (even the DM) or any roleplaying at all really. One week will have an ill-conceived logic puzzle and one week will have a skill challenge where the plot advances identically but you lose a healing surge if you fail!

I'm not bitter, though!

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Hubis posted:

This is one key thing I've learned: it's basically really hard to have "inconsequential combat" in 4e, due to the depth of the fighting systems and how managed by the rest of the game (resources, etc). Even the easiest/simplest of fights is either boring, or drawn out long past it's being a forgone conclusion, or (often) both.

Honestly this isn't exactly a 4th Edition problem, if anything it's a problem that 4th has answers to. If you want to run a quick stomp for your players just use 3-5 minions who's job is to close to melee range and then maybe 1-2 standard Artillery or Lurkers who don't have any super complicated rules. If you want to use some sort of Wandering Monsters just spend a minute thinking of why the monsters would attack the party. If they're looking for a cheap meal have the entire encounter leave if one of the combatants becomes bloodied, if they're bandits they turn and run as soon as someone goes down, and if they would fight to the death then just build them like an inconsequential fight like I described above.

Really before 4th all the combats I ran sorta felt inconsequential unless the players made some really bad choices, it was way harder to run stressful encounters without just murdering the party.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So essentially it's constructed like a pre-Murder at Baldur's Gate Encounters module, i.e.: X poorly-balanced encounters with some "read-this-aloud" sections instead of decisions for anyone to make (even the DM) or any roleplaying at all really.

It's entirely possible to get through Marauders without the players having to make a single in-character decision, let alone actually roleplay.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

crime fighting hog posted:

Basically it's "How would this play in God of War?"

I know it's a while back, but this should basically be how you play D&D. Dungeon World too. Pretty much any TTRPG.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
For the Marauders module I didn't even think twice about the whole "Characters who aren't of special status in Tyr probably won't be able to read" thing, so that's pretty hilarious. Were you all ex-slaves? Whoops! Well guess you can't start the adventure because you can't read the parchment with all the funny lines! Also, the scroll the Dwarf hands the party is made of papyrus which would instantly make it worth more by itself because I imagine in a world where plant life doesn't really grow outside of Sorcerer King sanctioned gardens, wasting it on PAPER would be viewed as a criminal offense. This is made all the funnier if you CAN read the scroll which states that they've been sending hundreds of these exact same missives around the Tyr region to as many mercenary bands as possible.

I also did notice how a lot of the Dark Sun modules like to toss water everywhere like it isn't a big deal. Even the little Level 1, three encounter starter mission in the Campaign book ends in a broken tower with a cistern full of water. I recently started running a Dark Sun game and worked together a whole adventure just from those three encounters and the culmination of finding a water source out in the desert was actually part of their final reward. Even the players knew how special it was to find water out in the middle of nowhere and made a deal with House Wavir to get a little coin in return for its location.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

Popcorn Initiative, or WFRP3e/EotE initiative where there are just initiative "slots" (all the players roll and a player will go on each of the initiative counts they roll, but it might not be the roller who goes on that one each turn; do the same for the monsters). Dunno if you have much problem with people not thinking about their turns in advance, but knowing they might have another turn coming up sooner than they thought encourages planning ("I should go next, because..."),

Popcorn initiative is really awesome. My group's been using it for a while and it's blast. Adds another layer of game in both sides trying to take advantage of starting the next round.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Agent Boogeyman posted:

For the Marauders module I didn't even think twice about the whole "Characters who aren't of special status in Tyr probably won't be able to read" thing, so that's pretty hilarious. Were you all ex-slaves? Whoops! Well guess you can't start the adventure because you can't read the parchment with all the funny lines!

To be fair, the module does suggest two alternate ways of starting the adventure!

(In one, one of your relatives has a nightmare about the exact location of the adventure. In the other, a shop owner just comes up and announces that the location has been discovered and you should go there.)

(Also, starting the adventure with either the stupid nightmare or the stupid shopkeeper makes it a 150 XP minor quest. Starting with the messenger and all the detail the module writer wants to force on you makes it a 750 XP major quest, with a 750 GP reward.)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Gort posted:

Let players only use one daily power per fight. I'd separate this into daily attack powers and daily utility powers and let them use up to one of each per fight, but not more.

It's similar in conception to the limits on daily item uses, or how you can only use one ap per fight barring special utilities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thespaceinvader posted:

I know it's a while back, but this should basically be how you play D&D. Dungeon World too. Pretty much any TTRPG.
This exact question actually led me to improvising a kraken breaking through the middle of a ship after the planned encounter with pirates was completely stomped.

The fighter then climbed up its body and stabbed it in the eyes. Ended up the most memorable fight of that whole campaign.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RPZip posted:

Let players only use one daily power per fight. I'd separate this into daily attack powers and daily utility powers and let them use up to one of each per fight, but not more.

It's similar in conception to the limits on daily item uses, or how you can only use one ap per fight barring special utilities.

But how do you prevent players using the same daily power every fight?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Gort posted:

If you're the DM then you should know what daily powers your players have (generally, not necessarily being able to name every one of them and remember their exact mechanics). If you have a caster repeatedly spamming a fire spell, throw in some creatures with Resist or Immune to Fire. If a character is getting a lot of mileage out of a forced movement power then send some monsters with forced movement mitigation at them. Mix it up, though. Don't suddenly have all enemies immune to what they can do, but make them choose more carefully.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also... if you structure your game so they get to blow their best daily nova every fight... so what? Make the fights harder so the challenge stays up, and let them have fun blowing their best daily nova every fight. They'll thank you for it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My groups ignore daily item uses because bookkeeping is stupid and bookkeeping items is more stupid yet. The table really has yet to suffer, especially since many of the best items confer properties, not daily attacks.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Gort posted:

That's not in addition to "daily powers recharge after short rests", it's instead of it.

E: Pseudo quoting the post above this cause I'm on a phone, but the one per milestone per tier restriction is weird. On the other hand "only one daily attack power per fight" should be pretty easy to track, and it'll give the pc's a more consistent power level per fight rather than just shitblasting the last fight of the day.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

tzirean posted:

It did seem pretty over-the-top, considering inherent bonuses explicitly says to pare down the magic item rewards. I'd picked out a few pieces of gear that just add to my party's flavour more than anything else. Also, I'm kind of worried about the Terror Of Tsalaxa encounter, considering it's a level 6 encounter for a level 2/3 party :stare:

How do you handle metal weapons as loot, out of curiosity?

quote:

(Marauders)

Wow,yeah, that sounds pretty dire. I hadn't had a chance to do much more than skim the book so far, so cheers for the heads-up. I might go through and see what I can salvage anyway, just because I like the fluff with the titanic primordial sandworm monster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My groups ignore daily item uses because bookkeeping is stupid and bookkeeping items is more stupid yet. The table really has yet to suffer, especially since many of the best items confer properties, not daily attacks.

Rerolls and self-resurrections are the big daily items - the likes of the Foortune Stones set and the Ring of the Phoenix.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Frankosity posted:

How do you handle metal weapons as loot, out of curiosity?

At the start, they were non-magical items I put in a magic item loot spot. Now, any magic weapon they find is also going to be metal, but they find a magic weapon once every 5–7 levels, so it's still a huge deal.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Finally talked the ms. into running a campaign with another couple we hang out with. Problem is it'll be my first right and proper game in over 15 years and I'll be the DM so I was wondering if you guys got an tips an what not for me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Chaltab posted:

If you're the DM then you should know what daily powers your players have (generally, not necessarily being able to name every one of them and remember their exact mechanics). If you have a caster repeatedly spamming a fire spell, throw in some creatures with Resist or Immune to Fire. If a character is getting a lot of mileage out of a forced movement power then send some monsters with forced movement mitigation at them. Mix it up, though. Don't suddenly have all enemies immune to what they can do, but make them choose more carefully.

OK, but the daily I had in mind as making problems for the "one daily per fight but they all recharge after each fight" rule is the one where the fighter gets to do 1[W]+str against everyone who ends their turn next to him, for the entire encounter. There isn't really a way to counter that except for keeping all the enemies out of attack range of the fighter all fight. That's both very hard to do and the goal is "make the combat no fun for the fighter".

I guess what I'm saying is that some dailies aren't easily countered, are very good, and are generally balanced by being limited in frequency of use.

Maybe "use one daily per encounter but they recharge at the end of the session or when you've used them all". That way you don't have between-session bookkeeping, players can still use their favourite dailies more frequently than the others (since many sessions might only have one or two fights) but you won't have the fighter popping Rain of Steel at the start of every fight without exception.

Mostly for my own benefit, collected house rules for eliminating the "adventuring day", please critique:

* PCs heal all HP damage at the end of an encounter. (IE: During a short rest)
* PCs quarter their number of healing surges, rounding down. This is their number of surges per encounter. The Durable feat and similar healing surge-increasing effects give +1 surge per encounter.
* PCs may use one daily per encounter. Dailies recharge at the end of a session, or when you have no dailies remaining at the end of an encounter.
* PCs reduced to 0 HP take an injury - a persistent debuff related to the damage that reduced them to 0 HP. (EG: Sharp damage might cause vulnerability, cold damage might reduce speed, crushing damage might reduce Will defense, and so on) Injuries last until the end of a session.

Gort fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 28, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I don't think messing with the rate or benefits of extended rests mechanically is going to be a great idea - at best you discourage players from using dailies even more, or you make them trivially easy to spam and break the balancing.

The only suggestion I can see really working out is RPZip's because players knowing they can only use one daily per encounter will encourage them to use them more often, even if it's just "one per the last three encounters of the day" instead of "all of them in the last encounter".

Also I'm pretty sure daily item uses were erratad out years ago.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Mostly for my own benefit, collected house rules for eliminating the "adventuring day", please critique:

* PCs heal all HP damage at the end of an encounter. (IE: During a short rest)
* PCs quarter their number of healing surges, rounding down. This is their number of surges per encounter. The Durable feat and similar healing surge-increasing effects give +1 surge per encounter.
* PCs may use one daily per encounter. Dailies recharge at the end of a session, or when you have no dailies remaining at the end of an encounter.
* PCs reduced to 0 HP take an injury - a persistent debuff related to the damage that reduced them to 0 HP. (EG: Sharp damage might cause vulnerability, cold damage might reduce speed, crushing damage might reduce Will defense, and so on) Injuries last until the end of a session.

The house-rules I've found successful are mostly cribbed from 4e's Gamma World:

* Everyone full-heals at the end of an encounter.
* Everyone can Second-Wind as a minor (dwarfs get it as a free) for their surge value.
* At a milestone, either gain an action point or recharge a daily.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AXE COP posted:

I don't think messing with the rate or benefits of extended rests mechanically is going to be a great idea - at best you discourage players from using dailies even more, or you make them trivially easy to spam and break the balancing.

The only suggestion I can see really working out is RPZip's because players knowing they can only use one daily per encounter will encourage them to use them more often, even if it's just "one per the last three encounters of the day" instead of "all of them in the last encounter".

Also I'm pretty sure daily item uses were erratad out years ago.

Just make all Daily powers into Encounter powers, but you have to roll a recharge die (it should be a difficult roll or w/e) to be able to use them in the next Encounter, which you roll during a short/extended rest. During short rests you can spend healing surges to get re-rolls, during extended rests you regain each of your 'Dailies' on a 2+ or some poo poo? I dunno, it's a start.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
reposting this from the Next thread (which spends a lot of time talking about 4th ed)

escalation die per player + one for dm

goes up by one (? this could be changed by powers, or circumstances) each round

current die value can be used as bonus to any value (to hit, damage, defense etc) once per round (? or once during player turn, and once on dm's turn) (or just to everything, which is how I think 13th age does it)

'daily' powers can only be used if the escalation die is at or above their rating (have to give each 'daily' a rating)

after a 'daily' power is resolved, set the escalation die back by the value of the power's rating

I thought this would give the 'I don't want to have to think' people the chance to just get bigger numbers every turn if they don't want to use martial dailies or whatever.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The thing about "I don't want to think" players is that it's perfectly easy to build a character who has powers that don't do anything but large amounts of damage. Then you just work your way down the power hierarchy each combat - use your dailies first, then your encounters, then at-wills until the combat's over.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
There's a bit of a problem when it comes to encouraging players to use their dailies because dailies are extremely situational. A lot of dailies require a specific setup to be even worth considering. For example: If you're fighting a solo enemy, you're probably not going to use a daily that targets multiple targets or has riders that affect other enemy combatants in a different way from the primary target unless that daily has a REALLY worthwhile payoff for that one target. In some situations, certain conditions must be met, like all the daily fighter and warlord and cleric powers that allow for the spending of surges. If you're not actually hurting for hit points, you're totally not going to blow that daily because chances are the damage or effect on those dailies are chump change to the healing. Sometimes dailies can only be used against multiple targets, and wasting it on one target doesn't get you much more than an at-will or encounter in terms of damage or effect (Prime example of this is the fighter power "Tempest Dance" which requires you to change targets with each of its three attacks).

Encounter composition is what's important for encouraging players to use their dailies in a non-nova fashion, and as a GM you should know what they're capable of. If they have a cool multi-target daily, tempt them by throwing either a large group of minions or a multitude of actually tough opponents where it should be obvious to the player to use their daily there. If they have a cool single target daily that tears one target to pieces, paint a red flag on one particular enemy by having him be MUCH tougher (Like an Elite or a Solo) so that the player has the tactical reason to fire that daily off. Terrain is also important to take into account. Take a recent combat encounter in my Dark Sun game for example where I had a lot of difficult terrain and rocks the party had to climb across, all while little shifty bastards who ignored difficult terrain slammed the party with nasty attacks from afar and came in for hit and run tactics. One player had a daily that says "gently caress you" to difficult terrain and allowed them to ignore it for an encounter, and of course, saw the opportunity to use it and did.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

RPZip posted:

What about adopting the 13A recharge mechanic? Make dailies encounter powers that don't necessarily come back after a short rest, like regular encounter powers. Instead, you roll for each expended 'daily' and get it back on (some number, salt to taste). That seems to me like it'd modulate the nova issue, because regaining the power isn't certain after the fight (and you might need it later).

I'd add bonuses to the roll for dailies that are below your level, so your weaker dailies are easier to recharge than then one you got at your most recent levelup, but that fillip may be unnecessary chrome.

edit: SJ beats me due to leaving this tab open forever :(

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

palecur posted:

What about adopting the 13A recharge mechanic? Make dailies encounter powers that don't necessarily come back after a short rest, like regular encounter powers. Instead, you roll for each expended 'daily' and get it back on (some number, salt to taste). That seems to me like it'd modulate the nova issue, because regaining the power isn't certain after the fight (and you might need it later).

This sounds like it would just lead to people nova-ing their dailies in the first encounter and then nova-ing any that recharge in the next fight. You wouldn't save your dailies because the more dailies you use, the more total dailies you're going to get to expend.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

This sounds like it would just lead to people nova-ing their dailies in the first encounter and then nova-ing any that recharge in the next fight. You wouldn't save your dailies because the more dailies you use, the more total dailies you're going to get to expend.

Hm, maybe? For me, it'd make me cagier to use a daily unless it was one of the low-level ones that has a bonus to the recharge roll, because what if the next fight is one where I really need the boost and it hasn't recharged yet? That uncertainty would lead me to always ask 'do I really need this daily right now' instead of nova-ing willy nilly. If all the fights are of uniform difficulty, I agree with your assessment; but fights have a range of difficulty, and you don't know what's around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I will say that my players don't nova their recharge abilities in 13th Age, and I see no reason why they would if they had them in D&D.