Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Version 1.22 of the Blofeld OS and version 1.4 of the keyboard firmware for the Blofeld Keys are officially out. Seems poo poo's running great now, according to the few people who've bothered to post on the Waldorf Blofeld FB group.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads-blofeld-kb/blofeld-firmware-en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Scoping out reverb units, ideally trying to avoid grainy digital artifacts for nice plate and ambient swells.

Budget being aprox ~$500;

• Eventide Space [lots of presets, questionably grainy?]
  • Strymon Big Sky [sweet]
  • Tiptop Z-DSP + Valhalla [expandable, programmable with $150 'Numberz' interface, limited to 8 presets per card]
  • Make Noise Erbe-Verb [digital as gently caress but nice about it]

There's probably some worthwhile 19" rack units out there, but they tend to be ridiculously expensive.

Suggestions?? :confused:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Panda Time posted:

Scoping out reverb units, ideally trying to avoid grainy digital artifacts for nice plate and ambient swells.

Budget being aprox ~$500;

• Eventide Space [lots of presets, questionably grainy?]
  • Strymon Big Sky [sweet]
  • Tiptop Z-DSP + Valhalla [expandable, programmable with $150 'Numberz' interface, limited to 8 presets per card]
  • Make Noise Erbe-Verb [digital as gently caress but nice about it]

There's probably some worthwhile 19" rack units out there, but they tend to be ridiculously expensive.

Kurzweil Rumor. Still has some of the best AD/DA converters around, lots of easily modable flange, reverb, delay, and chorus effects taken from their DKFX stuff, and if you're lucky can can get one for $300. I have it's sibling the Mangler and the few shared effects that I have from that unit are fantastic, like Lazerverb!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got an Eventide Space and I'm quite fond of it. Sound quality is extremely lush and even on a mild setting I feel like it adds a lot of character to my sounds. Lots of spacy high-powered algorithms inside as well as solid standards like room, hall, plate, spring, etc. It's also nice to have the MIDI in/outs so I can easily MIDI sync some of the modulation instead of having to tap tempo. I haven't tried any of the other reverbs you've listed so I can't really compare it to anything (except Youtube demos) but I decided to go with the Space over the Big Sky since I felt the Big Sky sounded a little more digital than I prefer.

Maybe I'll record some demos tonight of the Space cause I'm bored and it's way too humid outside.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb. I just got one recently myself and it makes beautiful, lush ambient sounds.

I guess I still want the Eventide Space but I don't care if I get it nearly as much now that I own this thing. It's the best reverb I've ever owned, and I've owned like 5 or 6 reverb pedals over the years.

The Shimmer setting is just the bee's knees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vqTRylaSyc

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Panda Time posted:

Pick up an old Pioneer unit off of ebay, they have pretty lights. Or get a reverb tank or two, build your own amp circuit and roll your own. Basically, get a real spring reverb. It'll probably be noisy, will only have one reverb mode, but you can shake it for the coolest noises.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Panda Time posted:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/m-one-xl/

This is what I use as my main outboard 'verb. It's one of the nicest reverb units out there for under a grand, they usually run about $400-450 online.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Re: verb, I'll always recommend the Zoom MS-70CDR. It's a guitar pedal, but handles line level inputs pretty well (stereo inputs, too) and is about $100, and it's got a bunch of reverbs ripped off various more expensive units. The poor man's reverb/delay solution.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm guessing you want hardware only, but for the money, the ValhallaDSP plugins (especially ValhallaVintageVerb) are just about perfect.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I keep trying to convince myself into / out of buying Komplete 9 Ultimate :smith:

I already own FM8, Reaktor and Diva but it's hard to pass up on all that other stuff. I have been waffling on this decision since it started. I keep telling myself it's worth it for the Reaktor plugins and the other effects but I still can't decide. Maybe I can remain indecisive until the deal's over and not push back my root canal until next payday?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I keep trying to convince myself into / out of buying Komplete 9 Ultimate :smith:

I already own FM8, Reaktor and Diva but it's hard to pass up on all that other stuff. I have been waffling on this decision since it started. I keep telling myself it's worth it for the Reaktor plugins and the other effects but I still can't decide. Maybe I can remain indecisive until the deal's over and not push back my root canal until next payday?

C'mon, do it. Don't be the only kid on the block without it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Software dudes: any resources you check out to learn new stuff about synths you own? Been getting into Massive lately and everything I find is basically just "10 things you'd know if you flipped through the manual."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

BKPR posted:

Software dudes: any resources you check out to learn new stuff about synths you own? Been getting into Massive lately and everything I find is basically just "10 things you'd know if you flipped through the manual."

For Massive in particular consider doing a ton of the youtube "HOW TO SOUND LIKE __________" tutorials, especially ones where someone actually explains pretty clearly what they're doing and not one of the silent ones where someone is just turning knobs until they get the sound they want. Honestly I've learned more about synthesis from a combination of that and a stupidly dense textbook/class on synthesis combined than I probably could have any other way.

Also as long as tehschulman is plugging stuff he's selling, I'm still trying to sell the Moog and would be willing to look into lowballs at this point if you really want a stupidly cheap Moog.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

BKPR posted:

I use MacProVideo and Groove3. (MacProVideo's Reaktor videos aren't good, but everything else I've used there is solid.)

I don't know if they include stuff that's not in the manual. I read manuals all the time, but with me things don't "stick" until I do something myself, so I always have the video on one computer and my DAW on another and I work through whatever they're doing in the videos to truly learn how things work.

Gonna watch Groove3's MachFive 3 videos next. There's an example of a product that seems on the surface to have an all right user guide (paper manual only, there are no PDFs), but I've read that thing cover to cover (twice) and still have no loving idea how to use that sampler. My hope is that by watching someone actually accomplish something in it I'll be able to figure out whatever it is the manual's not telling me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

I use MacProVideo and Groove3. (MacProVideo's Reaktor videos aren't good, but everything else I've used there is solid.)

To be fair, I've been looking for about the past year and no one has good video lessons when it comes to Reaktor beyond the basics, which aren't that difficult to figure out.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Saw this poking around for more info on the blofeld update. Seems like a pretty good deal, 177EU for a Rocket, plus it comes with a free license for the Waldorf Edition VSTs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Startyde posted:

Saw this poking around for more info on the blofeld update. Seems like a pretty good deal, 177EU for a Rocket, plus it comes with a free license for the Waldorf Edition VSTs.
I think I've got that Waldorf Edition thing lying around too, yet so far never bothered with it. I'm trying to remember, but I think it came with the Blofeld Sample License, which I ordered from Thomann as well (seems relevant, since they're calling this Rocket a "Thomann Edition").

Now I'm curious whether these plugins ever got updated to 64 bit. Could be a bit of an empty gesture to some otherwise.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now I'm curious whether these plugins ever got updated to 64 bit. Could be a bit of an empty gesture to some otherwise.
The Edition plugins are all 64-bit. (At least the Windows versions are.)

I've never worked with the filter or PPG plugin, but Attack is pretty cool and useful once you understand its many many quirks.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I just bought it. You must buy it. Everybody must do the same thing. Now. Time is running out to do the same thing as me.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You don't need it. You've managed so far without it. You won't use most of it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

ynohtna posted:

You don't need it. You've managed so far without it. You won't use most of it.

See how well software is able to emulate hardware these days?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Komplete saved me from having to buy FOUR grand pianos. That's a savings of fifty thousand dollars!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

The Edition plugins are all 64-bit. (At least the Windows versions are.)

I've never worked with the filter or PPG plugin, but Attack is pretty cool and useful once you understand its many many quirks.
Cool, maybe I should check them out.

From what I remember from my piracy days, the filter is pretty wicked.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Komplete saved me from having to buy FOUR grand pianos. That's a savings of fifty thousand dollars!

I finally stopped having to hire a full orchestra and African percussion ensemble every couple of weeks. Paid for itself a hundred times over.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I finally stopped having to hire a full orchestra and African percussion ensemble every couple of weeks. Paid for itself a hundred times over.

Stop hiring from the more developed parts of the continent imo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Man that used to be true, but Congotronics has the whole dang continent thinking they deserve more than fifteen cents a day.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I pay some guy in China to write & play all my music for me. :smaug:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I pay some guy in China to write & play all my music for me. :smaug:

You know, it's sad but you actually probably could do this.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I use TaskRabbit and I'm paying a fortune for lovely modular noodling

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone here have:
  • a modular
  • either an Expert Sleepers anything (6 outs total would be ideal; 3 gate/triggers, 3 CVs) or a DC coupled interface that can pass CVs
  • Reaktor
  • patience

If so, would you be willing to beta test something in about a week?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Roland just posted the greatest synth pic ever on Facebook.

Livin' the dream.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Startyde posted:

I saw your link (not sure how I'd never stumbled upon the Rocket before) but didn't have chance to look up what it did until my housemate was home. Within a few seconds we were both staring at the screen itching to get one. I'm broke as all hell but more than happy to persuade him to pull the trigger!

It looks a pretty sweet bit of hardware for a 'first synth' kind of thing, and not much more expensive than the Volca series either, and seems pretty damned versatile. I saw some videos of it doing lots of really fat basslines before switching out to trance leads. Any big negatives on this thing? It just seems to scream PLAY WITH ME AND MAKE SOME MASSIVE SOUNDS IN JUST A FEW DIAL TWEAKS which, when I think about my 20 pages of Automap bindings in a VSTi, sounds so inviting...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Any big negatives on this thing?

My buddy had he's die after a few months of light use, Thomann did sent him another one so all is well. Nice filter, ok build quality for the price.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw your link (not sure how I'd never stumbled upon the Rocket before) but didn't have chance to look up what it did until my housemate was home. Within a few seconds we were both staring at the screen itching to get one. I'm broke as all hell but more than happy to persuade him to pull the trigger!

It looks a pretty sweet bit of hardware for a 'first synth' kind of thing, and not much more expensive than the Volca series either, and seems pretty damned versatile. I saw some videos of it doing lots of really fat basslines before switching out to trance leads. Any big negatives on this thing? It just seems to scream PLAY WITH ME AND MAKE SOME MASSIVE SOUNDS IN JUST A FEW DIAL TWEAKS which, when I think about my 20 pages of Automap bindings in a VSTi, sounds so inviting...
I got a Rocket and a Pulse 2 together via JRRShop's crazy combo deal.

Rocket observations:
  • Digital OSC, Analog filter, gnarly sound
  • Can be used as a standalone filter (you must trigger a note in order for this to work; just put it in Pulse mode and set pulse width to zero, and then you'll only hear the filtered signal, which you can modulate in a few ways (live, automation, MIDI key follow)
  • No preset storage, but there are patch editor tools which can save and recall individual patches. I have monstrumMedia's Rocket Editor (work in progress).
  • There's a mostly satisfying trade-off in choices vs. immediacy. Very easy to get a phat sound right away, but you only have a small number of parameters to work with.
  • Two different paraphonic modes (one where the chord is determined by a hardware knob; basically extreme detune, and another where MIDI notes determine the pitches).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that guys, it really seems a fun bit if kit. I shall be encouraging purchase!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Look ma, no computers! It's the year 2014 and I'm making MIDI files and saving them on floppy disks.

The QY is a total beast for entering sheet music. Even my wife, who wouldn't normally touch anything but a Real Piano, sat down with 10 minutes of tutoring and banged out a few pieces in an evening.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Found a replacement floppy drive for my S1000HD, and it was able to read the disk that originally it came with (just had some programs and samples). I could have found a drive and configured it, but jumper pins are uncommon, and then you need to find the layout of the pins, etc. This one was reasonably priced, and listed as tested. I have been able to format low density, but it doesn't seem to want to format high density at all. Anyone with experience with the old Akai machines know if there is some trick? I've asked the seller, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

No trick, you just hit high instead of low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Yup, and that just ends with an error. Low density works fine as long as the space on the disk is covered to indicate DD, if not it gives the same error at the end. Just surprising that one works and the other doesn't. "Disk Unusable - Bad Sector Area"

I'm going to try formatting with OmniFlop, and figured it might be a valuable resource for others, too:
http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2014