Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I personally would not get an A+ if you already have a CCNA. What kinds of jobs are you looking for?
The short answer is "anything IT-related with University X", as it'd be a foot in the door, be more educational and higher pay than my current post, and still allow me to keep the health insurance my family needs. Because I have to be picky right now about employer and location, I have to cast the net as wide as I can- I plan to apply for anything relatively entry level here whether they want a network tech, Jr. systems administrator, PC support, possibly even programming positions depending on how they sound. I've done all of these things on my own enough to know I could enjoy them, and would at least learn more than I do at my current job and get some stimulation from problem-solving.

One of the jobs I applied for involved system administration in a windows environment, and I think having some background in AD and understanding how large Windows deployments work would've made me a stronger candidate. So for something like that an MCSA might have helped, even though it was also a PC support position (which led to me considering an A+ after getting no callback).

So yeah, even as I wrote that I realize an MCSA would've put me in better stead than an A+ for the PC Support position. Not going to waste my time with A+.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Remy Marathe posted:

The short answer is "anything IT-related with University X", as it'd be a foot in the door, be more educational and higher pay than my current post, and still allow me to keep the health insurance my family needs. Because I have to be picky right now about employer and location, I have to cast the net as wide as I can- I plan to apply for anything relatively entry level here whether they want a network tech, Jr. systems administrator, PC support, possibly even programming positions depending on how they sound. I've done all of these things on my own enough to know I could enjoy them, and would at least learn more than I do at my current job and get some stimulation from problem-solving.

One of the jobs I applied for involved system administration in a windows environment, and I think having some background in AD and understanding how large Windows deployments work would've made me a stronger candidate. So for something like that an MCSA might have helped, even though it was also a PC support position (which led to me considering an A+ after getting no callback).

So yeah, even as I wrote that I realize an MCSA would've put me in better stead than an A+ for the PC Support position. Not going to waste my time with A+.

Lets put it this way. The material you are going to cover in the requirement tests are going to put you in a really good spot knowledge wise. People forget to look at the grand scheme of poo poo you are going to go over. Even if you just buy the books and never take the test, its a giant leg up in applicable knowledge.

The below material covered by the below tests aren't exactly a cakewalk. Someone who is going to legitimately go over this material and pass the exam is going to be someone who is going to pretty usable in a windows server environment.

Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring
Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

What are you doing for work now? If you don't have at least some work history in IT, it's going to be very hard to get hired except for the most entry level of roles. Even with certs, since it's not terribly hard to braindump the exams and become a "paper tiger" who doesn't know the first thing about the tech in practice. I'm not saying that's you at all, just that that's what an employer might perceive if they get an application from someone with A+ / CCNA / MCSA but zero days of actual job experience. Doing 6-12 months of helldesk or small business jack of all trades admin may end up opening more doors for you than any entry level cert.

Clearly you really want in to this university. But since you're not in it yet, changing from your current job to another one that will set you up with the experience to get in won't be a downgrade. Try to land something else that will put you on the right path to get a job at the university. Don't just spam a generic "I AM GOOD WITH COMPUTER" resume in to every opening at the uni that remotely resembles IT.

Do you know anyone there who could give you a reference? If not, maybe you could do something to raise your visibility on campus. Volunteer with their local ACM chapter or organize and lead meetings of a <whatever> Users Group in the computer science building. Give them a reason to pick your resume out of the stack of 100 that comes in.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Docjowles posted:

Do you know anyone there who could give you a reference? If not, maybe you could do something to raise your visibility on campus. Volunteer with their local ACM chapter or organize and lead meetings of a <whatever> Users Group in the computer science building. Give them a reason to pick your resume out of the stack of 100 that comes in.

This. If you're targeting a specific uni, then it is almost 100% down to schmoozing. Get on good terms with someone who matters in the hierarchy and they'll create a place for you if it doesn't exist already.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Docjowles posted:

What are you doing for work now? If you don't have at least some work history in IT, it's going to be very hard to get hired except for the most entry level of roles. Even with certs, since it's not terribly hard to braindump the exams and become a "paper tiger" who doesn't know the first thing about the tech in practice. I'm not saying that's you at all, just that that's what an employer might perceive if they get an application from someone with A+ / CCNA / MCSA but zero days of actual job experience. Doing 6-12 months of helldesk or small business jack of all trades admin may end up opening more doors for you than any entry level cert.
Yeah I know the lack of work experience is working against me, especially when you almost never see true "entry level" positions open up at this school. I would gladly take any helpdesk role anywhere in it for that reason, and why I say (to you guys, NOT to any potential employer) that I would take literally any IT job I can get.

Docjowles posted:

Clearly you really want in to this university. But since you're not in it yet, changing from your current job to another one that will set you up with the experience to get in won't be a downgrade. Try to land something else that will put you on the right path to get a job at the university. Don't just spam a generic "I AM GOOD WITH COMPUTER" resume in to every opening at the uni that remotely resembles IT.
I'm actually already 'in', but work a non-IT job. My pay is poo poo but the health care & retirement are awesome, and any interruption or downgrade in said health care would be catastrophic for my family at present. That's why I'm unwilling to look in the private sector at the moment- if it were as simple as a pay cut I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I do get the thing about not spamming generic resumes- I don't have a lot to rearrange, but do tailor them for every job. Fresh cover letter, emphasizing the relevant skills etc.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I have pretty good references, particularly on the last app for which I didn't get a callback- they even included a couple people already in IT units there. I figure it was either lack of work experience, or the lack of some specific Windows administration skills that made me not make even the first cut. Eventually I may have to consider taking a night job just to get demonstrable experience without losing my dayjob, but right now I feel like I'd be wiser spending my nights learning. Today I found the relevant courses at our local CC, same place I studied for the CCNA, so between now and the spring I should be able to learn what I need for MCSA Win7 and MCSA Server 2012, and at the very least I'll know a ton more about administering larger scale windows deployments.

Sickening posted:

Lets put it this way. The material you are going to cover in the requirement tests are going to put you in a really good spot knowledge wise. People forget to look at the grand scheme of poo poo you are going to go over. Even if you just buy the books and never take the test, its a giant leg up in applicable knowledge.
Thanks for this by the way, and for your reinforcement of this ethic throughout the thread. I think I believe as you do, that learning and honest-to-god exercise of critical thinking and problem solving is the goal, and good things follow naturally from that. Until I can get paid for that during the first 9 hours of my day I need to do it in my evenings and hope somebody gives me a chance. This is my only option since I'm a terrible bullshitter.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 28, 2014

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

inignot posted:

Does anyone know how the OSCP/OSCE compares to the GSE? Both in terms of difficulty and blueprint.

I don't have GSE, but have heard about it.

http://www.giac.org/certification/security-expert-gse

If you want something focused on defense and writing reports, GSE is where it's at. If you want to know how to manually encode malicious code, fuzz an application and manually build an exploit or how to escalate shells to root or system access, OSCP and OSCE are where you want to be.

In terms of difficulty, OSCP and OSCE are hands down the hardest tests I've ever taken. They're also the most rewarding. Once you have them, you KNOW that you know your stuff. No questions or essays, it's balls to the wall doing, can you perform the tasks before you. And frankly, it's amazing how fast time flies by when you're taking these types of tests.

Not to mention if you fail GSE you have to wait a minimum of 12 months before retaking it. Fail it again and you get to wait 3 years before your next retake.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I know the lack of work experience is working against me, especially when you almost never see true "entry level" positions open up at this school. I would gladly take any helpdesk role anywhere in it for that reason, and why I say (to you guys, NOT to any potential employer) that I would take literally any IT job I can get.

Post your resume some place and I'd take a look at it for you. I went through the hiring process about 6 months ago myself doing a cross country move so I might be able to give you a few pointers.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I really appreciate the offer (thank you!), but I already feel like I overshare on SA and in any event won't be applying for anything again this summer due to some other life events. When I'm back to the job hunt- hopefully this fall- I'm definitely considering seeking help with it. My resumes have served me well in the past but I'm sure the bar was lower for nontechnical work, I'm definitely due to run them past critical eyes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Certification of Completion
Is hereby granted to
Qpzil
In recognition of successful participation in
VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

Yay :unsmith: now for the hard part...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's a good book for RHCE aimed at someone who's already got plenty of CentOS/Linux/blah experience but just looking to cross things off possible test scenarios before signing up for the exam?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 30, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Michael Jang is pretty much the RHCSA/RHCE author.

I'd also point out that RHEL 7 was just released and so the exams and books will likely be updated later this year.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

The below material covered by the below tests aren't exactly a cakewalk. Someone who is going to legitimately go over this material and pass the exam is going to be someone who is going to pretty usable in a windows server environment.

Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring
Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration

This one test separates the men from the children. At this point in the game though (and i'm just finishing up 70-646) shouldn't we push people onto 2012 certs?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Certification of Completion
Is hereby granted to
Qpzil
In recognition of successful participation in
VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

Yay :unsmith: now for the hard part...

Are you doing the Stanley online course by chance? I just finished the last lab and have asked the instructor to make sure everything looks complete on my end. No surprise I havent heard a word out of him. Class ends next week so I'd like to get some sort of confirmation out of him.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

Michael Jang is pretty much the RHCSA/RHCE author.

I'd also point out that RHEL 7 was just released and so the exams and books will likely be updated later this year.

Exams for the RHCSA are already updated. RHCE supposedly within 4 weeks of GA, but I haven't checked other than that.

The exams and books should be updated within the month.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are you doing the Stanley online course by chance? I just finished the last lab and have asked the instructor to make sure everything looks complete on my end. No surprise I havent heard a word out of him. Class ends next week so I'd like to get some sort of confirmation out of him.

He should get back to you once he's checked, I asked the same and got a terse reply a couple of days later.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

This one test separates the men from the children. At this point in the game though (and i'm just finishing up 70-646) shouldn't we push people onto 2012 certs?

I was finishing my 2k3 certs before 2k12 came out in October 2011, and then got 2008 a few months after. 2012 isn't omnipresent enough yet to set aside 2k8. If my last job is any indication, Server 2008 is only now becoming the standard server OS in bigger corporations. It'd be good to get 2k8 in and then upgrade it with the 70-417 exam.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nope, my job is using VMware's online course for training.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Nope, my job is using VMware's online course for training.

Lucky. For anyone signed up for the next Stanley course a quick word of warning. Any lab past #5 or 6 schedule yourself at least an hour and a half. The lab environment runs so slow and poorly that you will end up fighting it a bit on every lab and you dont want it to shut down towards the end of your work and lose everything.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I just printed out my lovely MTA Networking Fundemanentals certificate and put it up in my cube. It makes me feel like a total cheeser. I need to get that MCSA done. Speaking of:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-academy-65-kansas-city

I might have just wasted $100, but...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evol262 posted:

Exams for the RHCSA are already updated. RHCE supposedly within 4 weeks of GA, but I haven't checked other than that.

The exams and books should be updated within the month.

So "don't spend money yet" is what I'm hearing?

And then in a month go buy whatever 2014 edition I can find.

Looking to knock RHCE out of the park in the next three months. My only real soft spot is the package management system because I basically never use yum aside from yum search/install xyz. Seems like half of the questions on the "RHCE assessment" on RH's site had to do with yum so I guess I have some boning up to do.

I am REALLY looking forward to taking this test since I hear it's really hands on and not a bunch of dumb multiple choice questions.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 1, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

So "don't spend money yet" is what I'm hearing?

And then in a month go buy whatever 2014 edition I can find.

Looking to knock RHCE out of the park in the next three months. My only real soft spot is the package management system because I basically never use yum aside from yum search/install xyz. Seems like half of the questions on the "RHCE assessment" on RH's site had to do with yum so I guess I have some boning up to do.

I am REALLY looking forward to taking this test since I hear it's really hands on and not a bunch of dumb multiple choice questions.

Word is that they should be live this week, but I'm not on that side of the house, so I can't really be more specific.

The RHCSA stuff is already out. The earlier RHCE track is dead, and it's all hands-on+lab, plus the usual labbed tests (the RHCSA is also hands-on).

Familiarity with RPM and yum are a given (and hopefully subscription-manager instead of RHN classic), but you'll mostly cover that in the RHCSA, probably. I haven't done any of the preview stuff, though, and I probably won't bother with it for a few months, so none of this is gospel.

It's reputedly much more console oriented with almost no GUI stuff, but expect the usual "configure LDAP auth, automount, Apache, SElinux, install these packages, fix a few broken things (we liked boot loader in the past, but who knows), etc". It's actually fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the info. Subscription-manager might be a PITA since iirc CentOS removes that from the upstream so I've literally never once touched it :ohdear:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the info. Subscription-manager might be a PITA since iirc CentOS removes that from the upstream so I've literally never once touched it :ohdear:

There's not a lot to know about it that the manpage can't tell you, and yum is still used for package management, just that rhn_register is deprecated and probably won't show up on the exam.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh, makes sense. OK I'll keep an eye out for the new material, probably wait for the 7th edition of the Michael Jang bible, and just try to inhale as much yum/rpm/etc in the meantime.

Thanks for all the insight :)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AlternateAccount posted:

I just printed out my lovely MTA Networking Fundemanentals certificate and put it up in my cube. It makes me feel like a total cheeser. I need to get that MCSA done. Speaking of:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-academy-65-kansas-city

I might have just wasted $100, but...

Disregard, this stuff is pretty cheeser.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am going hard for my CCENT now. Last time through things the items that hung me up the most is ACLs and to a greater extent NAT. I am studying the Odom stuff this time around and have access to the Netacad packet tracer labs. I didn't do so hot in my actual classes but after getting into my current job everything up to OSPF seems pretty straight up. I knows OSI vlans. Inter vlan routing. Static routes. Subnetting is easy now too. Any tips or guides for easier understanding of NAT and ACLs?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
What's the general consensus on the EMC certifications? I have access to the training for the VNX specialist track and have a deployment coming up so I may just do it anyway, but curious if it's considered valuable.

For what it's worth, I hold a number of MS certs and will be headed the VMware route shortly, and am considering specializing in VMware after being a generalist for the past 15 years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EMC certs are well regarded.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am going hard for my CCENT now. Last time through things the items that hung me up the most is ACLs and to a greater extent NAT. I am studying the Odom stuff this time around and have access to the Netacad packet tracer labs. I didn't do so hot in my actual classes but after getting into my current job everything up to OSPF seems pretty straight up. I knows OSI vlans. Inter vlan routing. Static routes. Subnetting is easy now too. Any tips or guides for easier understanding of NAT and ACLs?

NAT and ACLs are something you really need to lab up to get, it's too odd just to memorize. If you can spring a few hundred dollars for a small ccna lab and hook your PC up to it to test NAT and ACLs it will do wonders.

Make sure to turn logging on the ACLs to make sure you have them working correctly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are ACLs really something that needs a great amount of memorization? You'll get the odd question about exact syntax and what number is valid for an unnamed extended ACL, but I think the bulk of knowledge is more about how they conceptually work, and how'd you set one up to perform a particular task.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Taking ICND1 bright and early tomorrow morning before work. This will be interesting.

Edit: Passed with 920. Had three whole sims, and one of them kept outputting the wrong info from show commands. Ah well, one down.

mythicknight fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Are ACLs really something that needs a great amount of memorization? You'll get the odd question about exact syntax and what number is valid for an unnamed extended ACL, but I think the bulk of knowledge is more about how they conceptually work, and how'd you set one up to perform a particular task.

When I took ICND2 in 2012 (so it's changed by now), the ACL questions were almost entirely syntactical "gotcha" questions. They might have revised this in the new edition.

In reality, you'll have like 5 people review an ACL in notepad and possibly test it before you implement it because ACLs are second only to pulling out random cables on the list of things that will break the gently caress out of your production environment.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah, got the CCNA :) My degree involved a lot of networking so it was kind of a walk in the park, but I'm happy. Now for the rest of the MCSA...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just borrowed the RHCE 6 Jang book from the library. Seems like the material is really straightforward if you've spent a lot of time in Linux so honestly I will probably just start studying for RHCE6 and then if I take it before the December deadline I have 3 years to worry about brushing up on 7. If 7 comes out and it isn't a huge departure then I'll take that instead v:)v

I'm not going to lie. I'm explicitly going after this to put it on my resume. I don't imagine RHCE6 will look any worse than 7 to a recruiter.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If "MCSE" is still a thing on resumes which can refer to Server 2000 or Server 2003, I promise you that you'll be okay with RHCE6 :)

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Would you guys say it takes more time to study for the 801 A+ exam or the 802?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When I skimmed the books to prep for A+ I spent more time on the practical but YMMV depending on how much tinkering you've done on computers in the past. I've built computers but never learned what all the stuff was called ('this thing goes into the thing with 20 plugs!' or other shorthand). I definitely think the practical was harder than the traditional exam so I'd spend more time on that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody interested in some exam study books? I have Darril Gibson's Security+ (SY0-301) and the Self Paced Training Kit for MCTS 70-680 (no dvd) that I'll let go for less than Amazon prices. Both these books helped me pass both exams first try.

Don't want to clog up the thread so PM me if you're interested.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey ICND1 guys. I'm going through a review to take the test soon, and I don't understand this question and the answer in the book

quote:

You configure a router interface with the IP address 192.168.10.62 255.255.255.192 and receive the following error:
code:
Bad mask /26 for address 192.168.10.62
Why?

The answer was "ip subnet-zero is not enabled on this router" but the way I understood it was the block size is 64, so 192.168.10.0 to .63 are valid for this subnet with .63 being the broadcast, and .0 being the network, so I'm OK to use 192.168.10.1 to .62 as a router IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm honestly surprised that's even in the book, I was under the impression that you just always assume ip subnet-zero is enabled these days.

That being said, if ip subnet-zero is disabled, you can't use any of the addresses in the all-zeros subnet (in other words- the first block of 64 addresses, represented by subnet id 192.168.10.0/26), so the first valid host address would be 192.168.10.65. These days, however, you basically always assume you can use the all-zeros subnet, and I would personally be shocked if you got a question involving the ip subnet-zero command on the exam.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 7, 2014