Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Might we see DF forked? The current version living on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That kind of happened when it switched from 2D to 3D. I know I was still playing 2D for like half a year after the 3D version was released, and that was before DFHack and all.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

Of course, it all makes sense now.

We must kill Tarn Adams.

And then the source code gets released. Twofer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zurai posted:

That kind of happened when it switched from 2D to 3D. I know I was still playing 2D for like half a year after the 3D version was released, and that was before DFHack and all.

2D had some nice first year pacing, I still miss it. Dig out the preliminary dining room, barracks and storage before your dwarfs start to fall asleep for the first time. Get your food and other items stored behind a door before thieving wildlife comes along come along and starts stealing all your poo poo. Get to the river and get your farms dug out before the spring flood. Build a road to the far side of the map before the second summer so you don't miss the wagons. Fortify around the underground river and the cavern (once you reach it) to keep frogmen, antmen, snakemen, etc. from appearing in the middle of your town.

There is still lots to do, but somehow the first year seems a lot less frantic now.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

TildeATH posted:

And then the source code gets released. Twofer.

If I'm not mistaken, the source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes, to prevent psycho DF fans from capping him.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes, to prevent psycho DF fans from capping him.

Yeah, and now there's all this evidence of you guys talking about your nefarious plans.

However, now that I'm not the OP of the DF thread, it'll probably fade into obscurity without my tender loving neglect, so nobody will ever know.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Masterwork Warlocks:

1) How do you use Jails? Just build one next to a prisoner pasture? Do you have to pasture after the Jail is built? Is the feeding automated or do I need to put the reaction repeat?

2) Pylons - how do you guys setup your network? What's their range on activation?

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Stonesense overlay

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5398266#msg5398266

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
count down til lowtax gets a call from the fbi

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nietzschean posted:

count down til lowtax gets a call from the fbi

Bring Back DF

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Can I use this with my old save or will updating LNP break it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DFHack has no bearing on your saves.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I suspect that it will be laggy as poo poo. I can never get Stonesense to cooperate with me. It's like pulling teeth getting it to scroll around or do anything other than monopolize two CPU cores.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
DEVLOG, GO

Toady One posted:

Truck truck truck. Having some exposition issues... got back from an assignment to find my leader had been beheaded, only I wasn't able to figure that out by talking to people (had to go to legends afterward). Was surprised to find kobolds occupying a set of dwarven hillocks... thought it was a bug, but it was actually a legit bandit takeover from 20 years prior that nobody told me about. Walked into another hill dwarf site and everybody was running out of the civic mound yelling about an insurrection. I walked in there and the mayor was by himself. I thought I'd help them out, so I stabbed him in the head. One of the fleeing dwarves turned around and beat me to death. That'll teach me to meddle in internal affairs. In another game, I walked out into a market and all the humans and goblins there were in a giant brawl. I think that flare-up was caused by something in their cultural pasts but I didn't figure it out. Sometimes you just want to grab somebody and scream "what's going on?!" but you can only ask about certain things... a list which needs to be expanded even as they continue to volunteer more information.

Zach went out to hunt some night creatures and found a bunch of monsters of twilight up in a tree... turns out their blood-sensing ability allowed them to detect all the scary beasts deep underground and they wanted nothing to do with it, so they fled from their lair (which was not attached in any way to the beasts underground) and treed themselves.

In any case, fixed a couple crashes Zach found today, and things are going well, though I expect quite a bit of the roughness above will survive in various forms to be experienced by you all as we continue working on this, since we still have some larger problems to fry first.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sounds like he's dedicated to early July for real this time even if there are still known issues.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Sometimes you just want to grab somebody and scream "what's going on?!" but you can only ask about certain things

quote:

I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dang I was hoping Bad Munki would be first in here with an elaborate post about his adventures in Dwarf Fortress over the past couple of days since release

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Prediction for the first few weeks of the next version: crazy poo poo happens all the time and the best part of the game is trying to figure out why.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

Prediction for the first few weeks of the next version: crazy poo poo happens all the time and the best part of the game is trying to figure out why.

How is that any different from normal?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

p much dwarf_fortress.txt and the reason this game initially appealed to me

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I was already pretty keen on playing Adventure Mode in the current version. Being able to get involved in site politics is going to be so rad.

That talk about eventually making your adventurer group an entity that can own a site and will survive even after you die/retire is also exciting. It was mentioned in one of the dwarf fortress talk episodes and this update will certainly bring us closer to that goal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the new release comes out while the forums are down, I still don't know how to do anything and I couldn't talk with goons about it. The weird bugs in the new trees are cool though. :sigh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mister Adequate posted:

Dang I was hoping Bad Munki would be first in here with an elaborate post about his adventures in Dwarf Fortress over the past couple of days since release

Not gonna lie, that was my plan, but I got a little too used to the forums being down and forgot to f5 for a couple hours. :(

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Not gonna lie, that was my plan, but I got a little too used to the forums being down and forgot to f5 for a couple hours. :(

Here's the mirror for the download. Get to LPing.

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop
Jesus, I hope he fixes the clothing bug that causes dwarves to strip down and leave their poo poo all over the place with no one willing to touch any of it. Nobody will stockpile or dump any of it and my only idea is to build atom smashers over each one. Super loving annoying.

Satone fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 26, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Satone posted:

Jesus, I hate he fixes the clothing bug that causes dwarves to strip down and leave their poo poo all over the place with no one willing to touch any of it. Nobody will stockpile or dump any of it and my only idea is to build atom smashers over each one. Super loving annoying.

On the upside, we can now use alcohol stashes as siege weaponry again!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

On the upside, we can now use alcohol stashes as siege weaponry again!

That is more dangerous to your framerate than to the enemies due to the fire.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Release-baiting aside. Is there a version of DF like the lazy newb pack, but with the new stone sense and dwarf therapist, and possibly some sort of re-arrangement to make the menu's make more sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turtlicious posted:

Release-baiting aside. Is there a version of DF like the lazy newb pack, but with the new stone sense and dwarf therapist, and possibly some sort of re-arrangement to make the menu's make more sense.

I have been dropping in new picturefort, dfhack and the like, seems to work fine. If you're on Windows I could zip it up for you. Edit: my LNP (starter pack, now) has Therapist 0.6.12 in it, which seems to be the latest already. I'm using the one from this thread.

Is there a workflow or other way to have a gem cutter autocut gems as they come in? Also, can I tell my dwarves what stones to use for traps? I'd like jet in crafts and shale in traps, rather than the other way around.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 26, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Subjunctive posted:

I have been dropping in new picturefort, dfhack and the like, seems to work fine. If you're on Windows I could zip it up for you. Edit: my LNP (starter pack, now) has Therapist 0.6.12 in it, which seems to be the latest already. I'm using the one from this thread.

Is there a workflow or other way to have a gem cutter autocut gems as they come in? Also, can I tell my dwarves what stones to use for traps? I'd like jet in crafts and shale in traps, rather than the other way around.

You could use workflow to autocut gems, but you'd need to have a repeat event for every gem type and you may need to build multiple workshops to accommodate all the gem types. You'd have a lot of workflow rules, though, but it's possible. Just set the count to an obscenely high number.

I don't really recommend that, though, as you should always have some rough gems on hand in case dwarves get moody.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

That'd be super rad, thanks!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I've got a civilization called the Civilization of Girls. Fukken gnomes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neurion posted:

You could use workflow to autocut gems, but you'd need to have a repeat event for every gem type and you may need to build multiple workshops to accommodate all the gem types. You'd have a lot of workflow rules, though, but it's possible. Just set the count to an obscenely high number.

I don't really recommend that, though, as you should always have some rough gems on hand in case dwarves get moody.

Yeah, I'd need to make more workshops too because you can only have 10 jobs open per workshop. It'd be great if there was some seedwatch+workflow+stockflow sort of hybrid that could do this.

Turtlicious posted:

That'd be super rad, thanks!

I'll PM you a link.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Also, can I tell my dwarves what stones to use for traps? I'd like jet in crafts and shale in traps, rather than the other way around.

I believe you can set workshops to only draw from specific stockpiles. It might require a Manager. Failing that, you can always set up burrows. In both cases, the good old "designate a garbage pit above a stone stockpile, set desired stone to dump, unforbid afterward" trick should help keep the stockpile compact.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zurai posted:

I believe you can set workshops to only draw from specific stockpiles. It might require a Manager. Failing that, you can always set up burrows. In both cases, the good old "designate a garbage pit above a stone stockpile, set desired stone to dump, unforbid afterward" trick should help keep the stockpile compact.

Sorry, I mean which stones to use in loading stonefall traps, not in making mechanisms.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm trying to get the flow of materials in my fortress in better shape, so I'm looking into linked stockpiles. Example: a finished goods one restricted to masterwork crafts, which is the only source for my gem setting workshop (along with a cut-gem one, obviously).

One thing from the wiki I didn't understand is how stockpile chaining can speed things up:

wiki posted:

However, despite these limitations, enough micromanagement will allow for effective and (relatively) streamlined supply chains. For example, you can speed up lumber harvesting, carpentry, and ash and charcoal production by putting several wood stockpiles near the various tree-felling areas, then one large "primary" stockpile near the carpenter's workshop that takes from those small ones, and then finally, a small stockpile near the wood furnace that takes from the primary one.

How is that better than just having the "primary" one and the one near the furnace be independent, and skipping the one near the collection area? It seems like having more intermediate stops is only going to make things slower, maybe unless I'm using a minecart to move from outside to in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean which stones to use in loading stonefall traps, not in making mechanisms.
Set up a one-tile stockpile for the jet, either by dumping or by the use of a minecart powered quantum stockpile, and forbid it when it's time to load traps?

Or just make serrated disc traps instead.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm trying to get the flow of materials in my fortress in better shape, so I'm looking into linked stockpiles. Example: a finished goods one restricted to masterwork crafts, which is the only source for my gem setting workshop (along with a cut-gem one, obviously).

One thing from the wiki I didn't understand is how stockpile chaining can speed things up:

How is that better than just having the "primary" one and the one near the furnace be independent, and skipping the one near the collection area? It seems like having more intermediate stops is only going to make things slower, maybe unless I'm using a minecart to move from outside to in.
The dwarf cuts the wood, takes it to the stockpile right nearby, and then cuts more wood, getting more wood cut per period of time.

... Wait no, if you turn off wood hauling on the woodcutter he just lets it fall where he cut it and somebody else has to haul it. Hm. It would improve efficiency if you used a minecart, yeah, but otherwise you just have more steps involved. Having the furnace one pull from the primary one means it's always stocked, though, rather than requiring a dwarf to decide to put some wood in it instead of the main one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zereth posted:

Set up a one-tile stockpile for the jet, either by dumping or by the use of a minecart powered quantum stockpile, and forbid it when it's time to load traps?

Or just make serrated disc traps instead.
Yeah, I need to just do big-boy traps now that I have iron.

quote:

The dwarf cuts the wood, takes it to the stockpile right nearby, and then cuts more wood, getting more wood cut per period of time.

... Wait no, if you turn off wood hauling on the woodcutter he just lets it fall where he cut it and somebody else has to haul it. Hm. It would improve efficiency if you used a minecart, yeah, but otherwise you just have more steps involved. Having the furnace one pull from the primary one means it's always stocked, though, rather than requiring a dwarf to decide to put some wood in it instead of the main one.

Right, my wood-cutters don't haul anything. Putting the furnace "downstream" of the primary seems like it would mean that I'd have to wait for someone to move something to primary and *then* someone to decide to haul something to the furnace one. I guess that only matters if they both get really low, in which case I have more to deal with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Having dedicated haulers so your workers can concentrate is a godsend. Just don't get low on haulers and your woodcutters can deforest and entire area before getting tired. If they had to drag the wood back each time they wouldn't even get halfway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my wood-cutters don't haul anything. Putting the furnace "downstream" of the primary seems like it would mean that I'd have to wait for someone to move something to primary and *then* someone to decide to haul something to the furnace one. I guess that only matters if they both get really low, in which case I have more to deal with.
Don't make the furnace pull exclusively from the wood stockpile adjacent to it, just have it there so when they finish they can grab one from a couple tiles away.