Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I decided to do the opposite of this. The first headline of the first entry said something about "2 Ebony dongs". Is that going to be a card in the Fall set?

I was waiting for black to get back into big creatures with intimidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I decided to do the opposite of this. The first headline of the first entry said something about "2 Ebony dongs". Is that going to be a card in the Fall set?

That's stupid. Either play four or don't play with ebony dongs.

loving casual brewers.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

His role as Guildpact is kind of hard to demonstrate in a planeswalker that only specializes in one color.

Perhaps when he becomes a multicolored walker we'll see some actual diverse and interesting Jace Things

I refuse to believe Jace can be interesting.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh cool, planeshifted Brothers Yamazaki, that sounds pretty nice.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

His role as Guildpact is kind of hard to demonstrate in a planeswalker that only specializes in one color.

Perhaps when he becomes a multicolored walker we'll see some actual diverse and interesting Jace Things

Fuuuuck, you're so right. WUBRG Jace would work as a five-colour walker, and I'd have liked that much better than Jace 2UU 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Fuuuuck, you're so right. WUBRG Jace would work as a five-colour walker, and I'd have liked that much better than Jace 2UU 2: Electric Boogaloo.

WUBRG walker would have to be better than Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Like Jace, the Mind Sculptorest.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The first five-color Planeswalker should obviously be the new Karn, with the full power of the Legacy Weapon at his disposal.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Attorney at Funk posted:

The first five-color Planeswalker should obviously be the new Karn, with the full power of the Legacy Weapon at his disposal.

+1: Exile Target Player

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

WUBRG walker would have to be better than Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Like Jace, the Mind Sculptorest.

Obviously. They could go loving crazy with it. Take a look at everything that costs WUBRG, and yet hardly any of these saw play because that cost is only for the kitchen table.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Obviously. They could go loving crazy with it. Take a look at everything that costs WUBRG, and yet hardly any of these saw play because that cost is only for the kitchen table.

5-color control featuring Chromanticore is definitely a viable tier 2 deck in standard right now. It's definitely a bit susceptible to bad draws, but with primary green + Caryatid/Coursers the deck actually casts Chromanticore on T4 or T5 pretty reliably.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Angry Grimace posted:

That's an absolutely plausible name for the community to give something like Wurmcoil Engine if it came in black.

Speaking of tumblr faux pas, anyone else accidentally go to DougBeyer.Tumblr.Com instead of DougBeyerMTG.tumblr.com?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

jscolon2.0 posted:

That's an absolutely plausible name for the community to give something like Wurmcoil Engine if it came in black.

Speaking of tumblr faux pas, anyone else accidentally go to DougBeyer.Tumblr.Com instead of DougBeyerMTG.tumblr.com?

Accidentally? No.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

5-color control featuring Chromanticore is definitely a viable tier 2 deck in standard right now. It's definitely a bit susceptible to bad draws, but with primary green + Caryatid/Coursers the deck actually casts Chromanticore on T4 or T5 pretty reliably.

Chromanticore gets killed by all of the enchant removal that people board in to deal with Detention Sphere. Having your finisher die to incidental enchantment removal no es bueno.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Whoaaaaaaah.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

That's a really cool card.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Chief Engineer is three years late to work, no wonder Grand Architect couldn't make it in constructed!

(This is the best core set ever)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

This makes me realize how much I want an artifact instant or sorcery... Also, did convoke originally say "Your creatures can help cast those spells"? That sounds kind of silly and cute to me. Izzet artifact deck with gablins tinkering on a giant robot.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

quote not edit

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

Oh drat.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lord Of Texas posted:

(This is the best core set ever)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

Is it bad that my first idea for this card is a Reaper King EDH deck?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The original Convoke reminder text was "Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature's color"

The new reminder text is functionally pretty much fine, but technically wrong by the comp. rules on Convoke.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gensuki posted:

This makes me realize how much I want an artifact instant or sorcery... Also, did convoke originally say "Your creatures can help cast those spells"? That sounds kind of silly and cute to me. Izzet artifact deck with gablins tinkering on a giant robot.

No, and the spergloids over at Blogatog are convinced it's dumbening down Magic again.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Alaan posted:

The original Convoke reminder text was "Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature's color"

The new reminder text is functionally pretty much fine, but technically wrong by the comp. rules on Convoke.

They changed how Convoke worked the same time they changed how legendary worked last year.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

“For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.”

Like I said, it basically works probably 99%+ of the time, but it isn't technically paying the mana. :spergin: I'm not even sure if there is a case it doesn't work.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Now just reprint Etched Champion and I will force Affinity in Standard no matter what.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

I'm in love

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Alaan posted:

“For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.”

Like I said, it basically works probably 99%+ of the time, but it isn't technically paying the mana. :spergin: I'm not even sure if there is a case it doesn't work.

The reminder text says "pays for 1" rather than just "pays 1", maybe that "for" means it's paying in place of mana rather than that it's actually paying mana?

Whether mana is actually being spent matters for Nix, if nothing else.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Gonna be streaming Vintage Dredge, would like advice from players of the archetype since I'm new to it.
e: Holy poo poo I don't know what I'm doing.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 28, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This is actually the third 2UU Jace :smugbert:

New card is sweet, reminds of Etherium Sculptor.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I don't actually think this artifact Convoking is going to end up nearly as broken as Affinity. It's a neat design but not broken in the least.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I smiled at the "Your creatures can help cast this spell" wording. Reminds me of Obsidian Fireheart's "The land continues to burn after Obsidian Fireheart has left the battlefield."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

neetengie posted:

Gonna be streaming Vintage Dredge, would like advice from players of the archetype since I'm new to it.

Never, ever keep a hand without Bazaar of Baghdad. Once you have Bazaar it's a matter of activating them as early as possible and dredging as much as possible until you learn about some of the fiddlier interactions, and going off as soon as possible with your Sun Titans or Griselbrand. Also, I know LSV posted a list without restricted cards in it, but a Dredge deck should have a Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Sapphire, and an Ancestral Recall (if you can afford the latter two, it's OK if you can't).

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

I don't actually think this artifact Convoking is going to end up nearly as broken as Affinity. It's a neat design but not broken in the least.

Convoking on its own might not be broken, but it will probably help Affinity be even more broken.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Smashing Link posted:

Yell yeah, no poo poo it isn't, but that doesn't mean a guy with as broad of an effect as this at 2-cmc can't have some applications.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Vintage Tendrils looks hard as gently caress to play.

neetengie posted:

You can solitaire a few games to get a feel for the win condition, which requires almost no real interaction with your opponent. You'll win like 80% of your Game 1s on a base Dredge deck because the deck is literally the best deck in MTG pre-sideboarding. Sometimes people will manage to Key-Vault you or vomit Power 9 at you and then hit you with Oath, but mostly you see opponents conceding on Turn 2 or 3 because you're about to swing for 40.

Game 2 and 3 are all about figuring out what kind of hate they're running and stopping it early. If your opponents first move is mulling down to 5 or less, you should be aware they're digging hard for hate cards, which you need to answer. Unfortunately, it can be heard to figure out what hate they're actually running, because it comes in the form of Ravenous Trap (an instant), Rest in Peace or Leyline of the void(enchantments) or Grafdigger's cage/Nihil Spellbomb/Tormod's Crypt. Grafdigger's Cage is the most common simply because its cheap and persistent.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 28, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Vintage Tendrils looks hard as gently caress to play.

"Well, I have no lands, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, and Demonic Tutor. Should I use Necropotence for 19 life, or is there a possibility that my opponent can damage me on his first turn?"

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Have we discussed the return of Convoke in concert with the relatively uninspired previous options for the Inspired mechanic yet? Because it seems like there might be some synergy there. Obelisk of Urd, I'm looking at you in particular.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Mikujin posted:

If anyone is interested in casting Chromanticore, I think this deck I drew up is legit fun, capable of winning, and it casts Chromanticore reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

My affinity deck says hi to T2 Wurmcoil.

• Locked thread