Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

"Well, I have no lands, Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, and Demonic Tutor. Should I use Necropotence for 19 life, or is there a possibility that my opponent can damage me on his first turn?"

Yeah you never Necro for 19.

Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Fingers crossed on Convoke being a good enough enabler to make Inspired constructed viable.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Silver2195 posted:

I smiled at the "Your creatures can help cast this spell" wording. Reminds me of Obsidian Fireheart's "The land continues to burn after Obsidian Fireheart has left the battlefield."

I am so mixed-feeling about it. On the one hand, I too am all :buddy: about getting my little guys to help cast poo poo, flavor-wise. On the other hand, it feels kind of out of place in reminder text? Yeah, I know Fireheart's is reminder text too, but there it's actually legitimately a decent way of succinctly conveying the reminder, whereas here it's essentially redundant with the "Each creature you tap..." part. I think anyone who's not terminally dense can understand the flavor between the name of the keyword and the mechanical actions you are performing without the templater nudging you in the ribs going "Eh? Eh? Get it?"

It's not going to ruin convoke for me or anything, though, far from it. On which note, I love how much they are expanding the flavor of convoke to pretty much every color and form of spell.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Froghammer posted:

Fingers crossed on Convoke being a good enough enabler to make Inspired constructed viable.

Guess it's me and you in this, buddy. Let's make this happen.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Does summoning sickness apply to Convoke? Can creatures 'help' with convoke spells the turn that creature comes out?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sharzak posted:

Does summoning sickness apply to Convoke? Can creatures 'help' with convoke spells the turn that creature comes out?

You can tap summoning-sick creatures with Convoke. Summoning sickness only prevents attacking and activated abilities with the tap symbol in their costs.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Never, ever keep a hand without Bazaar of Baghdad. Once you have Bazaar it's a matter of activating them as early as possible and dredging as much as possible until you learn about some of the fiddlier interactions, and going off as soon as possible with your Sun Titans or Griselbrand. Also, I know LSV posted a list without restricted cards in it, but a Dredge deck should have a Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Sapphire, and an Ancestral Recall (if you can afford the latter two, it's OK if you can't).

Angry Grimace posted:

You can solitaire a few games to get a feel for the win condition, which requires almost no real interaction with your opponent. You'll win like 80% of your Game 1s on a base Dredge deck because the deck is literally the best deck in MTG pre-sideboarding. Sometimes people will manage to Key-Vault you or vomit Power 9 at you and then hit you with Oath, but mostly you see opponents conceding on Turn 2 or 3 because you're about to swing for 40.

Game 2 and 3 are all about figuring out what kind of hate they're running and stopping it early. If your opponents first move is mulling down to 5 or less, you should be aware they're digging hard for hate cards, which you need to answer. Unfortunately, it can be heard to figure out what hate they're actually running, because it comes in the form of Ravenous Trap (an instant), Rest in Peace or Leyline of the void(enchantments) or Grafdigger's cage/Nihil Spellbomb/Tormod's Crypt. Grafdigger's Cage is the most common simply because its cheap and persistent.
Thanks guys (and marchhare) for helping me learn more about the deck. I can't afford LEDs, Ancestrall, or a Sapphire at the moment, so I made the misers version. Hopefully I'll get some down the line. I'll still keep on practicing with this version though, hopefully get really good at it where I can win in some events and eventually get more cards for the better variant and a Jund/BUG deck for modern.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 28, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

Whoaaaaaaah.

It's too bad this doesn't have some kind of amazing synergy with Grand Architect, because this really makes me want to make a deck that's all about Artifact R&D.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like how on old cards before there was standardized templating the printed rules text talks about stuff like growing extra heads. I understand why they don't do that anymore, but it was nice and I'm glad they've started doing similar things with the reminder text.

That, and "Your creatures can help cast this spell" just sounds so :3:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
[/quote]

What a Judas posted:

Yeah you never Necro for 19.

Ever.

Yeah you can Bargain for 18, but Necro gives you the cards at discard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Valicious posted:

My affinity deck says hi to T2 Wurmcoil.

What draw lets affinity do that?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

What draw lets affinity do that?

4 memnite/ornithopter
1 land
1 mox opal
1 new affinity guy

T1 drop whole hand
t2, draw wurmcoil, tap 4 zero cc creatures play and 2 mana, play wurmcoil

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

4 memnite/ornithopter
1 land
1 mox opal
1 new affinity guy

T1 drop whole hand

Basically, the nut.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

[/quote]

What if I Probe the opponent and see he's not playing a deck that can deal 1 damage or reasonably disrupt me on his T1, can I Necro for 17? Seems to me like that's the best play, just about any set of 17 cards can be pared down to 7 that will win the game next turn.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Re artifact convoke dude, I would not be surprised to find him playable in something but I don't know if that something is affinity, I don't think affinity is going to be accelerating out wurmcoils any time soon.

What if I Probe the opponent and see he's not playing a deck that can deal 1 damage or reasonably disrupt me on his T1, can I Necro for 17? Seems to me like that's the best play, just about any set of 17 cards can be pared down to 7 that will win the game next turn.
[/quote]

Something I never understood is, why not necro for like 5-6 on your turn and then 10 on your opponent's?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Necro puts cards into your hand at the beginning of your next end step, even if you do it on someone else's turn.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

Something I never understood is, why not necro for like 5-6 on your turn and then 10 on your opponent's?

You only get the cards from Necro at the end of one of your own turns. Activating on your opponent's turn doesn't get you the card on your turn, so in the context of a combo deck you're going off a full turn slower.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

jassi007 posted:

4 memnite/ornithopter
1 land
1 mox opal
1 new affinity guy

T1 drop whole hand

You don't need four zero cost guys, you can tap the convoke guy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nibble posted:

You only get the cards from Necro at the end of one of your own turns. Activating on your opponent's turn doesn't get you the card on your turn, so in the context of a combo deck you're going off a full turn slower.

:downs: For some reason, I thought you got the cards at the end of every turn. Thanks!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Elyv posted:

:downs: For some reason, I thought you got the cards at the end of every turn. Thanks!

Luckily Yawgmoth's Bargain fixed this inelegance, in the same way that Tinker cleaned up the text box on Transmute Artifact.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At least Bargain has the excuse of costing 6 instead of 3, so you basically have to build a deck around ritual effects (i.e. storm) in order to cast it soon enough to make it worthwhile. I don't think anyone really knows why they thought it was safe to cost Tinker as cheaply as they did (it's effectively the same cost as Transmute Artifact using the 1 coloured mana = 2 colourless conversion).

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Re: Convoke guy

or just be castin 5/6 all day in the form of this dude

Would Convoke count as "mana produced by creatures"?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Valicious posted:

It shouldn't need to. If you convoke his mana cost down to 0, you don't need to spend any mana.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Valicious posted:

As I recall, no. The convoke static ability allows you to tap creatures to reduce the cost of casting a spell, that is not the same as tapping to generate mana.

The interesting question is that, all costs, even costs of (0) technically have to be paid, so what do you do when you lower the cost of Myr Superion to 0? I'm not so sure about that.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Stinky Pit posted:

As I recall, no. The convoke static ability allows you to tap creatures to reduce the cost of casting a spell, that is not the same as tapping to generate mana.

The interesting question is that, all costs, even costs of (0) technically have to be paid, so what do you do when you lower the cost of Myr Superion to 0? I'm not so sure about that.

You aren't spending mana produced from non-creatures to pay 0, so it still works.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wasn't he in the goofy pre-rotation Heartless Summoning deck?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Actually I just read the Comp. Rules and Convoke no longer lowers the cost.

Comp Rules 702.50 A posted:

For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.

Basically, its nice and clean and makes the ability itself perfectly simple and easy to understand on its own, but its not easy to figure out how that interacts with Myr Superion's payment restriction because in most cases in the game "can't" "do not" and "only" almost always win over other effects.

ShadeofBlue posted:

You aren't spending mana produced from non-creatures to pay 0, so it still works.

Spiderdrake posted:

Wasn't he in the goofy pre-rotation Heartless Summoning deck?

Yeah you're right both right in regards to decreased costs/heartless summoning but now Convoke doesn't lower the cost as of M14 I guess? It's also explicitly stated to not be an alternative cost, so that puts a convoked Superion in a rather unique place considering the payment restriction.

If you aren't lowering the cost, and you aren't paying with mana generated by creatures then I lean heavily towards "Nope"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 28, 2014

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I can't wait to test out a deck running 3 Chiefs and 3 Myrs. The idea of a T3 Tarmagoyf-size body needs to be investigated!

Who's intrigued by Soul of Phyrexia as a possible SB card against wraths? (in Affinity) I considered it stupidly expensive for the creature casting cost alone, but now Chief is making me reconsider. You wouldn't need to or want to leave 5 up all the time, but only in instances of "He has to have a wrath, otherwise he just dies."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Valicious posted:

I can't wait to test out a deck running 3 Chiefs and 3 Myrs. The idea of a T3 Tarmagoyf-size body needs to be investigated!

Who's intrigued by Soul of Phyrexia as a possible SB card against wraths? (in Affinity) I considered it stupidly expensive for the creature casting cost alone, but now Chief is making me reconsider. You wouldn't need to or want to leave 5 up all the time, but only in instances of "He has to have a wrath, otherwise he just dies."

4 Chief, I think, and maybe only a couple Myrs. The Chief is useful if he helps Affinity vomit out its hand fast a la Springleaf Drum, but you can only play 4 and Lightning Bolt exists so I don't think an Affinity deck should be too dependent on him.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Stinky Pit posted:

Actually I just read the Comp. Rules and Convoke no longer lowers the cost.

Basically, its nice and clean and makes the ability itself perfectly simple and easy to understand on its own, but its not easy to figure out how that interacts with Myr Superion's payment restriction because in most cases in the game "can't" "do not" and "only" almost always win over other effects.

Myr Superion says that you can't spend mana that has a certain property to cast it. If you convoke for 2, you're not spending any mana at all so there's no problem.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

vOv posted:

Myr Superion says that you can't spend mana that has a certain property to cast it. If you convoke for 2, you're not spending any mana at all so there's no problem.

Yeah that's probably correct.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Valicious posted:

Re: Convoke guy

or just be castin 5/6 all day in the form of this dude

Seems pretty clear to me. Tap two creatures to convoke this is fine because you aren't spending any mana produced by non-creatures on it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

For the record, Vintage Storm is a completely and totally bonkers deck. I just played a game with a very complicated turn 1 win where at one point the correct line of play involved scrying a Tinker to the bottom of my deck, and then immediately casting a Grim Tutor to retrieve it into my hand.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
After further research, I think the best magical Christmas land hand with convoke guy is 3 zero cc guys, 1 mox opal, 1 land, 1 convoke guy, 1 lodestone golem.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
trip report for fnm: In my quest for the top 8 tonight, playing burn, I flashed in dictate of the twin gods on end step vs. junk midrange. I can confirm that it is still a loving awesome play.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure my draft is the actual definition of Jank but putting this together and subsequently misplaying it is the best thing ever:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I killed a guy with Hidetsugu's Second Rite tonight. In Legacy. Game 3 of the final round (4) in the 3-0 (2-0-1 in my case) bracket against Merfolk. I think I just win Magic forever?

I was saving it for an annoying deck that I didn't want to play and/or knew I was going to lose to. Round 3 was against 12-post, so I brought it in game 2 when I was down a game, figuring I had no chance of actually winning so I might as well try to do something stupid. It didn't show up but I actually won, so I sided it back out to try to win again. Then we went to time in a game I was going to win because he plays 900 Pithing Needles, Revokers, Repeals, and flashback Fogs. So I brought it in against Merfolk because I really wanted to use it some time tonight. And it's not like Jund really needs any more help against it (I only lost game 1 to a Misdirected Hymn that I knew was going to get Misdirected followed by serious mana flood.)

I actually almost got him with it game 2, but I forgot about Cursecatcher (it was his only creature, no Vial, and I had Lili with 2 counters. I'm so bad at Magic.) so I had to put the Goyf beats to him. So I pretended to side it out game 2 but kept it. What a dumb card.

Also, Huntmaster is insane. I tried it as a 1-of in place of Bloodbraid #3. It's so much better than Bloodbraid against fair decks, and it's a much better clock against unfair decks. It's such a beating against Merfolk, and in its wolf form it gets through True-Name. I'll probably try dropping another Elf for another Huntmaster.

Then we did a Conspiracy draft where all 3 Compulsive Researches I cast drew me an extra card and then was copied. I also had a Barbed Shocker with that enchantment that turns the creature into a Prodigal Sorcerer. I won by Shockering myself with an empty library. (I didn't actually win obviously, but I consider it a win.) Plus I got Misdirection pack 1 and Stifle pack 2.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
LSV's latest Vintage draft on Channel Fireball is hilarious.

He drafted storm, and at the end of all the rounds, he says, "This draft didn't turn out so well. I got a foil Tendrils and 4 packs out of it at least. Oh well."

He opened Pack 1 Black Lotus.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

LSV's latest Vintage draft on Channel Fireball is hilarious.

He drafted storm, and at the end of all the rounds, he says, "This draft didn't turn out so well. I got a foil Tendrils and 4 packs out of it at least. Oh well."

He opened Pack 1 Black Lotus.

He passed an Underground Sea in the same pack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

Eeevil posted:

After further research, I think the best magical Christmas land hand with convoke guy is 3 zero cc guys, 1 mox opal, 1 land, 1 convoke guy, 1 lodestone golem.

I really feel like there's going to be a list running Chief Engineer, Myr Superion, and Lodestone Golem.

• Locked thread