Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was behind a cop car doing 5 below the speed limit on the freeway. Just as I was about to signal left and start creeping past it, a sport bike of some description passed us in the left lane fast enough that I couldn't even see if it had a plate, much less what was on it. The cops didn't even bother with the light bar, they just kept rolling at five under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't bother running from the cops because the cops never come after me (knock on wood) because I don't break the law, goddammit. I usually ride a little over the speed limit and that's about it.

The only time I've been pulled over on the bike was at a DUI checkpoint, and that was zero hassle because I make an effort to not drink if I'm going to be riding at all that day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Digital_Jesus posted:

I do not run from the cops because I'm kindof easily identifiable. Also because I enjoy living and not panic crashing to avoid a speeding ticket.

It's not something you plan for, it's a snap judgement in the moment.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

When I lived in NC it was kind of a given that if the cops bothered to light you up that you would just take off. Coming from PA I found it odd but it seemed like everyone on a sport bike just took off without giving it much thought. I used to ride like a dong and did go by several cops hiding out on the side of the road but was never pulled over so maybe that's just how it is there. Also seems like lots of people I met rode around on stolen bikes like they were their own.

In CA I wouldn't even think of bailing. There are bike cops and helicopters all over plus CA seems to be on a level of it's own when it comes to high speed chases ending in fiery wrecks involving multiple unsuspecting motorists. I mostly just try to ride at/near the speed of traffic to avoid such situations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

It's not something you plan for, it's a snap judgement in the moment.

It's an idiot judgement. Saying "I don't run from the cops because _______" is just a way of rationalising "I don't run from the cops because I'm not a loving moron"

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

It's an idiot judgement. Saying "I don't run from the cops because _______" is just a way of rationalising "I don't run from the cops because I'm not a loving moron"

Some people cash in their retirement and buy bitcoins. Some people run from the cops.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

It's an idiot judgement. Saying "I don't run from the cops because _______" is just a way of rationalising "I don't run from the cops because I'm not a inconsiderate loving moron"

FTFY

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Running from the police? How rude!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I don't bother running from the cops because the cops never come after me (knock on wood) because I don't break the law, goddammit. I usually ride a little over the speed limit and that's about it.

The only time I've been pulled over on the bike was at a DUI checkpoint, and that was zero hassle because I make an effort to not drink if I'm going to be riding at all that day.

I used to get pulled over all the time in my stupider days, mainly because of stupidly loud exhaust and tiny number plate. I ride like an old lady (apart from the occasional bit of speed) though. Also I used to have to go through three police checkpoints on my commute (terrorism yay) and I'd get pulled over on the RS125 all the time because "One of your headlights is out".

My favourite one though was getting pulled over because "You looked like you didn't want to get pulled over". The existential crisis that provoked in me almost caused me to give up biking.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My favourite one though was getting pulled over because "You looked like you didn't want to get pulled over". The existential crisis that provoked in me almost caused me to give up biking.

That's a thing? I go out daily hoping I get pulled over. I'm super bummed when I'm not :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My reply would have been "Have you ever pulled over anyone who wanted to be pulled over? Who enjoys this BS?".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

That's a thing? I go out daily hoping I get pulled over. I'm super bummed when I'm not :(

Well now you know why - if you only tried to hide your desire to be pulled over you'd get your wish.

HotCanadianChick posted:

My reply would have been "Have you ever pulled over anyone who wanted to be pulled over? Who enjoys this BS?".

Yes, there's nothing a member of Her Majesty's Constabulary loves more than sarcasm.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Look, if you go out dressed like you want to be pulled over, and you get pulled over, you only have yourself to blame. If you didn't want it, you shouldn't have worn that slutty "pull me over" helmet, and those gloves. You tramps.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Lynza posted:

You tramps.
I always wondered how you got an official gov't Tramp Stamp.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Guess you could get US seal type eagle in the usual tramp stamp/splash shield location.
When riding your gixxer let your tank top ride up a bit to show the law that you're both on the same side.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes, there's nothing a member of Her Majesty's Constabulary loves more than sarcasm.

The other option is "Do you encounter a lot of people who enjoy having their time wasted in your line of work?" :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not really a rant, more of a sigh - took a run up to High Beech (big biker meetup spot in the Epping Forest in the outer suburbs of London) and it just seems to get worse every time I go up there. Time was even on rainy days you'd see >100 bikes up there, and on nice days in mid summer people would be parked a hundred yards up the road, with >500 bikes. Today (admittedly a cloudy day with rain forecast for mid-afternoon) there were maybe 50 bikes, of which my Shiver was one of the most exotic there - I saw a Panigale, a couple of S1000s, and the rest seemed to be just pretty normal bikes. In it's heyday you'd have everything from heavily (and horribly) modded I4 supersports bikes and Harleys, oddities like RD350s and lunatic poo poo like CR500 supermotos and supercharged V-Maxes. People would mod their bikes just to take them to High Beech and bask in the reflected glory.

Now what was once a sort of impromptu bike show and social event seems to be just a car park for locals waiting to start up rides. The reason for this is blatantly obvious though - there was a police car parked up in the middle of the car park (and they seemed to be checking documentation on a ZX-7RR), plus another car parked on Epping New Road that leads to it - once a 60 mph road which thanks to being arrow-straight with only two turnings was basically the Essex answer to Bonneville is now dotted with new "executive homes", and so has a 30 limit being enforced not just by three speed cameras but a mobile speed trap.

The other roads around it - tight, 1-1.5 lane country lanes, perfect for a bit of a workout of your reflexes at not-too-stupid speeds - are now a blanket 20mph and completely coated in horse poo poo and clogged with mountain bikers making horrifying lycra-clad mobile chicanes. Most annoying of all, my little performance-testing road - a previously-ignored little road parallel to the M25 just near Waltham Abbey with an awesome roundabout at each end - is now falling to pieces, the Shellgrip surface that used to stick like velcro deteriorated to the point that it's more like loose sand interspersed with suspension-destroying ripples and potholes.

Basically everything loving sucked about today - I even got stuck in traffic for just long enough to get caught in the rain. Ho hum.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

At least you get some variation there, bike meets/nights here across the pond are usually chrome turd fests.
Glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna...road king.....ad nauseum. And lots of claims to be "custom".

Cus·tom
noun \ˈkəs-təm\

1: an action or way of behaving that is usual and traditional among the people in a particular group or place

Seriously, it's like a two wheel Phillip Glass song.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Retarded Pimp posted:

At least you get some variation there, bike meets/nights here across the pond are usually chrome turd fests.
Glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna, glide, sportster, softtail, dyna...road king.....ad nauseum. And lots of claims to be "custom".

Cus·tom
noun \ˈkəs-təm\

1: an action or way of behaving that is usual and traditional among the people in a particular group or place

Seriously, it's like a two wheel Phillip Glass song.

Either that or stretched/lowered GSXRs with LED lights and poo poo all over them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The way to have a custom bike these days is to leave it stock

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Had something bizarre happen to me on the way to work today. I was lane-splitting down a 4 lane 50km/h road (two lanes either direction) which is always 100% packed and not moving in the morning. As sometimes happens, I eventually came upon two cars that were so close together that I had no chance of getting through, because in this town lane markings are optional suggestions I guess.

Normally in this situation I just stop and wait until one of them notices me and moves, or until traffic shifts in one lane so I can slip past diagonally. This morning I went to do just that. Two seconds after I had come to a stop, someone in a car next to me just starts absolutely blasting their horn and did not stop until both of the cars in front moved out of the way. I have no idea what the gently caress.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Maybe the person in the car was a fellow biker and was trying to help you out!

Or, they're batshit insane and you can expect to find a severed head in your bed when you wake up next. I'd bet on someone trying to be nice, though.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Got stuck at a busy intersection for 5 minutes waiting for the light to change so I could turn left. I even pulled past the stop bar and gestured for the car behind me to pull up in case there was a sneaky traffic light sensor under the pavement, didn't help. Bike got up to a nice and toasty 255ºF before I spotted a gap in traffic and zoomed off.

I've been through that intersection tons of times, the light timing must change after dark because it's never been anywhere close to that slow.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Today I was the rear end in a top hat cager.

In my big ol work truck. Went to merge into the right turn only lane as it was beginning, made it halfway through the merge (straddling the line as it got to the point of being two lanes wide) to find that some monkey on a V Rod had squirted up into my right rear blind spot. If he'd had loud pipes I'd have known he was there.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Got stuck at a busy intersection for 5 minutes waiting for the light to change so I could turn left. I even pulled past the stop bar and gestured for the car behind me to pull up in case there was a sneaky traffic light sensor under the pavement, didn't help. Bike got up to a nice and toasty 255ºF before I spotted a gap in traffic and zoomed off.

I've been through that intersection tons of times, the light timing must change after dark because it's never been anywhere close to that slow.

In these situations I just make sure it's clear and go for it. Hope that if a stealthy cop pulls me over that they understand.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 1, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

TN supremacy.

quote:

55-8-110. Traffic-control signals - Inoperative signals with vehicle detection devices for motorcycles
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle.

I take it to mean that we still have to sit there and wait to "prove" it's broken, even if we've encountered it before, which still sucks, but it's something at least.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Also had my first SUV try to murder me this morning. Sure I'll just merge across 3 lanes of traffic in one move because I need to make a left at the last second. I was watching so I slowed down and honked, she just kept coming.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tanbo posted:

TN supremacy.

I take it to mean that we still have to sit there and wait to "prove" it's broken, even if we've encountered it before, which still sucks, but it's something at least.

Arizona has a similar law -- you are supposed to wait "the equivalent of two full cycles" and if the light still hasn't changed you're allowed to ride through. I don't know how you're supposed to figure that out if you're not familiar with the intersection, but I'd imagine the cops would be fairly lenient about it as long as you aren't brown.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

It's been on the books since 2003 or so so hopefully they have experience with it, plus the area is near the tourism center for the Smokies so a lot of bikes come through sometimes, so I'd imagine seeing a motorcycle running a red isn't going to be all that unusual. I did print out the relevant law+code just in case. I carry copies of the handgun carry laws in my car and on the bike as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me, I just about snapped today. I was 90% of the way to work and going straight through a roundabout (in the rain!) when a guy in truck (as in a hino truck, not a pickup) coming from my left suddenly decided that I didn't exist and that even if I did the give way rules don't apply to him. I missed getting hit by about half a foot. I ended up turning around and following him until he stopped, then gave him a massive bollocking for being a fuckwit. I tend not to be the sort of person who loses their temper so rather than getting angry I just kept telling him that he quite literally nearly killed me.

He seemed to take it ok, he looked genuinely sorry. Still managed to get to work on time.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
This morning as I was riding through downtown Portland on my way to work, I got the distinct pleasure of watching the dumbest fucker ever on a motorcycle.

I noticed him at first because I saw him and his girlfriend, squidly as possible, on some chromed-out cruiser. He had his right-turn signal on, in the far left lane. He apparently did not know how to stop, because the lights on the street are timed, and as we came up to the light, he veered hard when he tried to come to a stop and nearly ran into the car next to him.

He swerved back into his own lane and kind of ran the red light (it changed to green maybe a second or two after he went through). He then continued to just run every single red light for the next 10 blocks.

His turn signal never did turn off, and he never changed lanes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm betting he never took an MSF course.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

loving cocksuckers who think you don't need a whole lane. I'm used to idiots buzzing me on my bicycle but it had been rare while I was on the drz.

This is how traffic normally (apart from the running the red light part) goes through this intersection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT0naTPRSls

This morning I nearly got clipped by this silver sedan, then the two following cars showed solidarity with their cager brethren and never bothered moving fully into the other lane as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIk9I8BWcc

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
With lane sharing being legal was that really that bad?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Yeah, you'd lose your poo poo in London traffic where it's not rare to have your foot clipped by cars squeezing past as you sit in the alleged "refuge zone" waiting for a right turn. Oh and occasionally deciding to pull alongside you and turn with too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, you'd lose your poo poo in London traffic where it's not rare to have your foot clipped by cars squeezing past as you sit in the alleged "refuge zone" waiting for a right turn. Oh and occasionally deciding to pull alongside you and turn with too.

Don't be silly, MI6 would never send you all the way to Cuba for interrogation, they'd enhanced-interrogate you at some really horrible, but much more local place. Like Cardiff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looked like ordinary traffic to me :shrug:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

nsaP posted:

quote:

146 Driving within a single marked lane or line of traffic
(1) A driver on a multi-lane road must drive so the driver’s vehicle is completely in a marked lane, unless the driver is:
(a) entering a part of the road of one kind from a part of the road of another kind (for example, moving to or from a service road or a shoulder of the road), or
(b) entering or leaving the road, or
(c) moving from one marked lane to another marked lane, or
(d) avoiding an obstruction, or
(e) obeying a traffic control device applying to the marked lane, or
(f) permitted to drive in more than one marked lane under another provision of these Rules or under another law of this jurisdiction.

151–1 NSW rule: lane splitting by riders of motor bikes at speeds exceeding 30 kilometres per hour
The rider of a motor bike must not ride past another motor vehicle being driven in the same direction as the rider if the rider is:
(a) in the same marked lane as, or on a dividing line adjacent to, the vehicle while passing the vehicle, and
(b) riding the motor bike at a speed in excess of 30 kilometres per hour.

Didn't look like they were a motorcycle and they were certainly going faster than 30 if they were. I suppose you could argue that I was an obstruction. The camera is mounted near my right grip as well so it's about as far away as it could be from the car, the mirror was centimeters from my grip.

I understand people do this poo poo frequently, I've had it happen enough already. Still pisses me off when they do though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Grrrr... Sprained my ankle last night playing basketball, and now I can barely walk, let alone ride a bike.

This sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ephphatha posted:

This morning I nearly got clipped by this silver sedan, then the two following cars showed solidarity with their cager brethren and never bothered moving fully into the other lane as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIk9I8BWcc

This looks like completely normal traffic to me, but if you're getting lots of people sharing your lane, you probably need to take up a better blocking position. This is where you should be when riding in each lane:

In the above video, you are in situation 'C' but it doesn't look like you're riding in the left tire track like you should be. Try that.

I'd also suggest you avoid riding in the center lane at all. In that situation you're either going to be opening up one side of the lane or the other for dickheads to try and squeeze by, or you'll be riding in the middle of the lane, which is where all the oil and sand and glass accumulates. Stay in either the far left or far right lane and ride its inside edge to keep people from trying to share.