Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Technically it would have to run 180 minutes to hit the three-hour mark. Titanic runs 194 minutes.

Oh right, you caught me out with my bad maths.
Once again very glad that I haven't watched Titanic. Does anyone have an exact date for when they stopped putting intermissions in movies? Is Barry Lyndon the most recent movie with an intermission? It was released in 1975, which is certainly in the era of new hollywood, well past the age of big epic period pieces and big musicals, the sort of movies that tended to have intermissions. I think that's partly why it didn't do very well as a movie, it was a film that was out of fashion by 1975, as it fit more into the cinematic tastes of 10 years earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Infamous Sphere posted:

Does anyone have an exact date for when they stopped putting intermissions in movies?

wikipedia posted:

The last major mainstream film to feature one was 1984's Once Upon a Time in America.

and here are some reasons

still wikipedia posted:

The built-in intermission has been phased out of Hollywood films, the victim of the demand to pack in more screenings, advances in projector technology which make reel switches either unnoticeable or non-existent (such as digital projection, where reels also no longer exist) and also because in multiplexes, the break gave patrons a better opportunity to sneak away to watch other pictures

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
However just below that is a list of "notable films with intermissions" and it has Dances with Wolves from the year 1990, but I guess that doesn't count as a major mainstream film. :confused:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Slate Action posted:

It's actually the worst-reviewed one yet!

I can't wait for Brad's Midnight Screening vid of this one :unsmigghh:

e: hell, I'll even watch Spoony talk about it for 400 minutes or whatever. I just can't get enough of people bitching about Transformers.

Unfortunately for you, the new one is considerably better than any of the first three from a cinematic standpoint - there aren't any real plotholes, the characters have arcs, and while it's obscenely long, there's always something happening. Even the fight sequences are really watchable now, they've become a lot easier to follow.

Of course, people are still GOING TO bitch and whine, but it'll probably be more along the lines of "THE DINOBOTS DIDN'T TALK WAAAAHHHH" and "WHERE DID LOCKDOWN COME FROM I DON'T GET THAT THIS IS THE FIRST PART OF A TRILOGY!".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Can we bitch that near three hours is loving obscene for this poo poo or is that not allowed because something something from a cinematic view it's good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can we bitch that near three hours is loving obscene for this poo poo or is that not allowed because something something from a cinematic view it's good.

It's valid. No dumb summer movie should be longer than 2 hours. Even that's pushing it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Look at it this way: at 165 minutes, Transformers 4 is the equivalent of roughly eight and a half back-to-back episodes of the original Transformers cartoon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Of course, people are still GOING TO bitch and whine, but it'll probably be more along the lines of "THE DINOBOTS DIDN'T TALK WAAAAHHHH" and "WHERE DID LOCKDOWN COME FROM I DON'T GET THAT THIS IS THE FIRST PART OF A TRILOGY!".

When it comes to the type of reviewer we're discussing here, I think the tone will be 70% "I'm going to take this Giant Fighting Robot Movie much more seriously than anyone has a right to" and 30% "gently caress you moviegoers who have the audacity to enjoy these movies enough to make them successes".

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Benne posted:

The RLM crew watches all 3 Transformers movies at the same time. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o

Man. Seeing them watch that last part in Dark of the Moon really made me realize that Optimus did kind of murder people in these movies.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CelticPredator posted:

It's valid. No dumb summer movie should be longer than 2 hours. Even that's pushing it.
Face/Off was just shy of 2.5 hours and that movie is amazing. :colbert:
I do agree that movies in general re way too long though, efficient use of time is also a mark of quality.

MechaX posted:

Man. Seeing them watch that last part in Dark of the Moon really made me realize that Optimus did kind of murder people in these movies.
For your reading pleasure:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571842

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
Todd's review for "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea is up. "Fancy" is an ugly-sounding song, but it's still a better listen than some of what he's covered lately, like "Dark Horse," "Selfie," and "Wiggle." Not good, but at least listenable. What a low bar.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is interesting and important.

Yes, "Cinema discusso blah balh blah" "SMG blah blah blah", but...

The main carrot character in these movies does go through a story arc. A story arc that reads like bildungsroman written by an alien whose only idea of what that process is like comes from endless viewings of terrible action movies. It's kinda (all kinds of) fascinating.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ronk a Donk posted:

Todd's review for "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea is up. "Fancy" is an ugly-sounding song, but it's still a better listen than some of what he's covered lately, like "Dark Horse," "Selfie," and "Wiggle." Not good, but at least listenable. What a low bar.

The video for this song just makes me think of the video for De La Soul's "Me, Myself and I". I was fighting the urge to pause the review so I could go on YouTube and watch it again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MovieBob reviews the newest Transformers movie and......kinda likes it? :stare: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...tm_campaign=all

Also, his latest Big Picture and recent columns spent time talking about the original cartoon, and pretty much all of it suggested that I missed nothing by not growing up in the 80's.

Benne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 27, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Benne posted:

MovieBob reviews the newest Transformers movie and......kinda likes it? :stare: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...tm_campaign=all

Brad Jones liked it too... At least compared to the last three films.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Benne posted:

Also, his latest Big Picture and recent columns spent time talking about the original cartoon, and pretty much all of it suggested that I missed nothing by not growing up in the 80's.

Yeah, I remember a little bit of the original Transformers Series from tapes my dad rented, but I remember the Beast Wars show much more fondly. And i'm still pissed off they killed off Airazor and Tigertron in the first two minuets of an episode.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beast Wars was way more awesome, true, but I think the final season was cut short or something, the finale comes pretty much out of nowhere, which was a shame cause we'd gotten a bunch of new forms for most of the characters, including Megatron becoming a dragon which only lasted for, like, three episodes? Compared to the first season's "all filler, all the time" pacing, the third season felt like it had no wiggle room for anything that wasn't important to the overarching story.

SFDebris mentioned he's gonna review an episode from Beast Wars next week, and I'm curious which season it'll be from, since all three are distinctly tonally different from eachother.

Nobody liked Beast Machines

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nobody liked Beast Machines

Didn't the creator even get death threats over Beast Machines?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

What creator hasn't gotten death threats at this point?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Never did want to live forever...

Alacron posted:

What creator hasn't gotten death threats at this point?

Of all the dirty jobs!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

IIRC, Beast Machines is generally regarded to be the best-written Transformers show ever, and probably the best-written Transformers thing ever; but it had a really lukewarm reception because the animators created the designs with zero consideration for how the hell Hasbro was supposed to make toys out of them, so the Beast Machines toys basically all sucked, and that's a huge part of even the adult TF fandom.

(In Beast Machines, the good guys just sorta morph from beast mode to robot mode, and the bad guys don't even transform as much as they just shift their posture.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Beast Machines' ending was pretty universally hated due to how silly it kind of was.

I did really like the whole "nature" (good guys have animal forms) vs technology (bad guys are big blocky machines like old school transformers) thing they were going for but the ending was a bit silly.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
Usually we talk about movie/TV/comic/game reviews in the thread, but here’s an interesting article about YouTube’s beauty product reviewers. I personally don’t watch them, but many of my friends do, and they’re apparently big business and getting bigger. Some interesting points from the article:

* Like most YT reviewers, they started out as amateur aficionados, but are now being commercialized. Popular reviewers are given free samples and sponsorships by cosmetics companies in return for advertising and favourable reviews.

* Many beauty product reviewers are under the StyleHaul mega-channel, which is well-off enough to have hired a former executive from Paramount to help create content.

* These reviews are seen as especially effective compared to beauty magazines because they give off a “sage best friend offering advice” vibe (possibly due to the constant eye connection internet videos often have).

Thought it was interesting to see how critics of a different kind of content are faring in the commercialized YouTube world, what with Maker Studios being bought by Disney and Blip being bought by Maker.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Beast Machine's last quarter of so is so poo poo it doesn't make up for the supposed good writing of the first 3 parts.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Metal Loaf posted:

Never did want to live forever...

Of all the dirty jobs!

Truly - it NEVER ENDS!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ronk a Donk posted:

Usually we talk about movie/TV/comic/game reviews in the thread, but here’s an interesting article about YouTube’s beauty product reviewers. I personally don’t watch them, but many of my friends do, and they’re apparently big business and getting bigger. Some interesting points from the article:

* Like most YT reviewers, they started out as amateur aficionados, but are now being commercialized. Popular reviewers are given free samples and sponsorships by cosmetics companies in return for advertising and favourable reviews.

* Many beauty product reviewers are under the StyleHaul mega-channel, which is well-off enough to have hired a former executive from Paramount to help create content.

* These reviews are seen as especially effective compared to beauty magazines because they give off a “sage best friend offering advice” vibe (possibly due to the constant eye connection internet videos often have).

Thought it was interesting to see how critics of a different kind of content are faring in the commercialized YouTube world, what with Maker Studios being bought by Disney and Blip being bought by Maker.
I have a niece who watches these. Apparently she's become a huge stickler for quality when she's shopping with her mom.

I've run across a few of the ads while watching Let's Plays--I don't really get why, but that's YouTube algorithms for you--and they really do come across as friendly and engaging.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
I suspect in the morning the flood of Transformers vlogs will wash over us. Foldable Human got his out earlier. It cuts off kinda randomly because I guess the camera died, but it sounded like the conversation was devolving into nit picking the universe logic anyway, so consider it a mercy killing at 20 minutes.

A different approach to this sort of thing, since Foldy does set work and the other guy that they don't introduce is an editor or something, so it gets a bit more technical at times.

LFK fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 28, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ronk a Donk posted:

I wound up discovering Fancy through the backdoor, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPGzGUNZbs

Can't recall how I came across this version, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Enjoying this one so much, I sought out the original to see if my fondness would transfer over and...yeah, not so much. I'm certain I've heard the original first on my car stereo, but I honestly couldn't remember a thing about it.

Todd has a way of getting overly pedantic when he can't find much to say about a song. He got hung up on the "make a phone call - feels so good getting what I want" verse when it was clearly in reference to room service, given the context of trashing hotels and getting drunk off minibars in the preceding lines. Far be it from me to defend the song, but c'mon.

It's so strange, though: the memorable parts of the song are the Charli XCX hook and the Clueless* video. Has it become a trend that the guest artist overshadows the main artist of the track? There's this, Lil' Jon, and then Snoop on both Jason Derulo and Psy's songs. It's just weird.

*As an aside, did you know that Clueless is a modern interpretation of Jane Austen's Emma?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 28, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ghostpilot posted:

I wound up discovering Fancy through the backdoor, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPGzGUNZbs

Can't recall how I came across this version, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Enjoying this one so much, I sought out the original to see if my fondness would transfer over and...yeah, not so much. I'm certain I've heard the original first on my car stereo, but I honestly couldn't remember a thing about it.

I agree, the song works better in that 1920's style.

Ghostpilot posted:

Todd has a way of getting overly pedantic when he can't find much to say about a song. He got hung up on the "make a phone call - feels so good getting what I want" verse when it was clearly in reference to room service, given the context of trashing hotels and getting drunk off minibars in the preceding lines. Far be it from me to defend the song, but c'mon.

I think Todd was over-thinking the lyrics at that point. I think he is really good as a reviewer of music. He just lost the forest for the trees right there.

Ghostpilot posted:

It's so strange, though: the memorable parts of the song are the Charli XCX hook and the Clueless* video. Has it become a trend that the guest artist overshadows the main artist of the track? There's this, Lil' Jon, and then Snoop on both Jason Derulo and Psy's songs. It's just weird.

I could see where the guest artist is used because they are famous, and try to use some form of fame osmosis. As faar as just overshadowing the main artist, I dunno. It feels like watching a movie or TV show and a minor character stealing the show. Sometimes it just happens.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Ghostpilot posted:

*As an aside, did you know that Clueless is a modern interpretation of Jane Austen's Emma?

I had an English professor who you would have thought was the stuffiest man on the planet 95% of the time. But he did have us watch film versions of the books he assigned during class, and sure enough, Clueless was the version of Emma he settled on. A lot of the parallel scenes are pretty funny in terms of how they were adapted.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

I think Lil'Jon doesn't count because DJ Snake isn't a rapper/singer like the rest. DJs like him need another artist to perform on the track to have any success on the charts.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I've got another review out, in which I watch an early 90s entry into the urban fantasy genre, the TV movie Cast a Deadly Spell.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Cast a Deadly Spell is great!

The sequel is horrendous. LOL

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

OrangeKing posted:

I had an English professor who you would have thought was the stuffiest man on the planet 95% of the time. But he did have us watch film versions of the books he assigned during class, and sure enough, Clueless was the version of Emma he settled on. A lot of the parallel scenes are pretty funny in terms of how they were adapted.

Same way I had found out about it, actually (except my professor was a real-life, female version of Mr. Magoo. The way she constantly bumbled was actually kind of adorable).

Violet_Sky posted:

I think Lil'Jon doesn't count because DJ Snake isn't a rapper/singer like the rest. DJs like him need another artist to perform on the track to have any success on the charts.

Yeah, I'll concede that one. I'd reconsidered that and was going to edit my post accordingly but got sidetracked. Though, on the flipside of that, Todd had forgotten about DJ Snake despite having reviewed Turn Down For What? a few weeks ago.

echopapa posted:

I've got another review out, in which I watch an early 90s entry into the urban fantasy genre, the TV movie Cast a Deadly Spell.

I've had this phrase come to mind in the past, but just couldn't place where it came from (or even if was just a figment of my imagination). I'll definitely be checking this out!

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, I'll concede that one. I'd reconsidered that and was going to edit my post accordingly but got sidetracked. Though, on the flipside of that, Todd had forgotten about DJ Snake despite having reviewed Turn Down For What? a few weeks ago.
Pretty sure that was just a joke.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Ronk a Donk posted:

I've often wondered why people feel the need to put on an accent associated with a genre. Well, I know why, but it's kind of annoying. I'm assuming Iggy Azalea still has an Australian accent, or at least an Australomerican accent (usually this sounds like an Australian accent, but rhotic.) Why doesn't she just rap in that accent? It's even more lame than Australian country singers putting on American accents - because at least that doesn't have any unfortunate racial connotations.

That song was boring and crap. The 1920s cover worked a lot better. Hell, the fact that Postmodern jukebox manages to make often crap and often poisonous songs so listenable and enjoyable is a real testament to their skill.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Pretty sure that was just a joke.

Didn't he even say that he reviewed one of Dj Snake's song immediately after mentioning him?

watho fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 29, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
New Baywatching: http://blip.tv/OLPresents/baywatching-armored-car-6962134

Who the hell puts an armored vehicle on an old, rotten pier? Also, doesn't the fact that it endangered the lives of four different people pretty puts the final nail in the coffin? If so, than congratulation, people of Malibu beach, your foundraiser actually finished the pier off!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

e X posted:

Who the hell puts an armored vehicle on an old, rotten pier? Also, doesn't the fact that it endangered the lives of four different people pretty puts the final nail in the coffin? If so, than congratulation, people of Malibu beach, your foundraiser actually finished the pier off!

Idiots, that's who! Apparently the pier is rebuilt sometime after this though because it's still around.

Funny story about this show (they mention this ep specifically): Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin, the executive story editors for season one, basically thought this show should've never existed. If it seems from the stories that they didn't really want to make a lifeguard show, you're right. In an article from 1990, after the show was canceled but before it was brought back, they were making fun of it like it was this huge failure, and how they had to stretch to find things to do. So, they just kept trapping people somewhere, like in an armored car. Meanwhile, this article was about She-wolf of London, the show they did after that, and how it was gonna be big (it was canceled after one season).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

e X posted:

The only thing I can figure is that the pier-hippies arranged for the armored car to be put there to be able to say, "hey, Death Pier doesn't need to be demolished! Look how it's holding up this armored car!"

Any thought beyond that makes no sense, though: if the pier is at the point where they have a crew and cranes to demolish the thing, it's clearly condemned -- so why are all the people on it? Why did they send people to test structural integrity of the pier after the car (and hundreds of people) were already on it? Why didn't they clear off the pier after the first guy was nearly killed on it? :bang: And then it all turns into a haze.

Miss Wallace posted:

Idiots, that's who! Apparently the pier is rebuilt sometime after this though because it's still around.

Funny story about this show (they mention this ep specifically): Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin, the executive story editors for season one, basically thought this show should've never existed. If it seems from the stories that they didn't really want to make a lifeguard show, you're right. In an article from 1990, after the show was canceled but before it was brought back, they were making fun of it like it was this huge failure, and how they had to stretch to find things to do. So, they just kept trapping people somewhere, like in an armored car. Meanwhile, this article was about She-wolf of London, the show they did after that, and how it was gonna be big (it was canceled after one season).

Haha, how's that for irony? Though I can't rag on Lee and William too much: they were part of a Nero Wolfe Mystery which is some of the finest television that has ever aired. Monk was pretty good, too (at least for the first 3 seasons or so). Knowing the shows they'd move onto goes a long way towards explaining the crime / mystery bent many of these early episodes had.

Judging from the bikini girl's reaction, it's almost certain that ol' Hobimeister's kiss was an ad-lib. Cheeky; Eddie could learn something from him.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 29, 2014

• Locked thread