Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone got a good Vicky 2 mod to recommend? Extended timeline/overhaul or anything really, being that Ultimate seems a buggy mess and probably discontinued.

Googling I came up with /gsg, which seemed interesting until I installed it; noticed they replaced Clergy with "Intellectuals" and the sound of a thousand fedoras engulfed my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Anyone got a good Vicky 2 mod to recommend? Extended timeline/overhaul or anything really, being that Ultimate seems a buggy mess and probably discontinued.

Googling I came up with /gsg, which seemed interesting until I installed it; noticed they replaced Clergy with "Intellectuals" and the sound of a thousand fedoras engulfed my brain.

New Nations Mod is generally the go-to recommendation this thread gives. You could try out PDM if you want, but it adds a lot of unnecessary bloat that tends to gently caress with the game systems.

/gsg is the mod that added ethnic cleansing, I think, so yeah, maybe avoid that one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

canepazzo posted:

BBJoey posted:

/gsg is the mod that added ethnic cleansing, I think, so yeah, maybe avoid that one.
Oh no, genocidal fedoras. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's not like it's difficult to remove that decision if it bothers you so much, or rename clergy to intellectuals. Not sure why you would want to rename them though, them being called clergy doesn't make much sense in the first place.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Cambodia gets Communist Government: Implement decision "Genocide the Intellectuals" -- -50% research points, all pops become farmers, all Intellectual pops reduced by 90%. :commissar:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Soviet Union: "Discipline Kulaks" -100% population growth in region Ukraine, +100000£.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah man, if you're offended by genocide so much, make your own mod!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ everyone acting like their isn't genocide in Victoria 2 vanilla.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Oh no, genocidal fedoras. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's not like it's difficult to remove that decision if it bothers you so much, or rename clergy to intellectuals. Not sure why you would want to rename them though, them being called clergy doesn't make much sense in the first place.

Nerds are terrible

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not sure why you would want to rename them though, them being called clergy doesn't make much sense in the first place.

I think it's trying to reflect what you saw in the USA where religious schools were the norm until the 1870s, and in colonial nations where missionaries taught the language of their nation to the locals. It makes some sense for improving the literacy rate of the people in the province, but then you have to ask why the USSR is trying to increase the number of priests so that they can research guns better and I got nothing :v:.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrProsek posted:

I think it's trying to reflect what you saw in the USA where religious schools were the norm until the 1870s, and in colonial nations where missionaries taught the language of their nation to the locals. It makes some sense for improving the literacy rate of the people in the province, but then you have to ask why the USSR is trying to increase the number of priests so that they can research guns better and I got nothing :v:.

Honestly, it would make sense to add teachers as a pop type that gets unlocked with educational theory advancements. They'd be much more effective on literacy than clergy, but be harder to acquire. You'd have to cultivate a teacher demographic, like you cultivate craftsmen, clerks, capitalists, etc. - these are all "elite" pops in the sense that they unlock some of the economy's more powerful features but need upfront investment to create and grow.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrProsek posted:

[...] but then you have to ask why the USSR is trying to increase the number of priests so that they can research guns better and I got nothing :v:.

Respect divine casters.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

ZearothK posted:

Respect divine casters.

If you wololo hard enough you can convert some tanks to your side.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

BBJoey posted:

New Nations Mod is generally the go-to recommendation this thread gives. You could try out PDM if you want, but it adds a lot of unnecessary bloat that tends to gently caress with the game systems.

NNM is good, and I'd recommend running it in conjunction with Age of Politics, which improves the political aspect of the game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

lol @ everyone acting like their isn't genocide in Victoria 2 vanilla.
It's not explicitly written out as genocide, so it's okay.

DrProsek posted:

Still, the 1870's are not even halfway through the game, plus the US is kind of an outlier in terms of education, religion, and just about everything really. Creating a separate teacher pop type which does a better job, but costs way more, is probably the most realistic solution, representing the development of public schools to replace whatever mishmash of (private/semi-private) education existed before.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did they ever make the faction systems less incomprehensible/pointless? I could never tell what the hell any of my actions meant with regards to the factions, nor did I know why I ever wanted to do any of it.

Nope. I think the game as a whole has made a dramatic turnaround, especially with mods, and I've hit over 200 hours played. I still have no idea how politics works and can't be bothered to figure it out.

I think they've just written it off honestly. Everything else has been patched and improved but they haven't done anything to politics

SickZip fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 27, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

Nope. I think the game as a whole has made a dramatic turnaround, especially with mods, and I've hit over 200 hours played. I still have no idea how politics works and can't be bothered to figure it out.

I think they've just written it off honestly. Everything else has been patched and improved but they haven't done anything to politics

what about diplomacy? i heard that was still worthless

how about sieges? do soldiers still get stuck on top of ladders and walking by trees?

can multiple soldiers now kill an enemy or is it still all Honourable Single Combat with SICK2NASTY KILL ANIMATIONS?

i'm not trying to light you up, but i read a bunch about it recently and it still sounded really really bad

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

how about sieges? do soldiers still get stuck on top of ladders and walking by trees?

can multiple soldiers now kill an enemy or is it still all Honourable Single Combat with SICK2NASTY KILL ANIMATIONS?

i'm not trying to light you up, but i read a bunch about it recently and it still sounded really really bad

So, uh, are you in the wrong thread, or..?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Beamed posted:

So, uh, are you in the wrong thread, or..?

nah, just participating in a minor derail.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Oh poo poo, didn't notice it was a question about TW, thought it was about the faction system in EU4; my bad.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Drink Cheerwine posted:

I pre-ordered, so you can imagine how hard I raged when it came out. That being said, with the patches plus some mods you'll get your 15 bucks' worth out of it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla posted:

I pre-ordered, so you can imagine how hard I raged when it came out. That being said, with the patches plus some mods you'll get your 15 bucks' worth out of it.

not exactly a ringing endorsement, but thanks for the input. given your name, i might just take your word for it. ;)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sulla posted:

Rome 2 is what you deserve for pre-ordering a game.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still, the 1870's are not even halfway through the game, plus the US is kind of an outlier in terms of education, religion, and just about everything really. Creating a separate teacher pop type which does a better job, but costs way more, is probably the most realistic solution, representing the development of public schools to replace whatever mishmash of (private/semi-private) education existed before.

Yeah, maybe you could also have it so for some nations like the USA, early on clergy would be better than teachers because you have a lot of land that has really poor literacy, promoting to clergy is cheaper, clergy naturally like to move between provinces far more than teachers do, and because you have a lot of people supporting moralism, it's even easier to promote pops to clergy. Meanwhile, a nation like France doesn't have a lot of land it needs to settle with Frenchmen and so it doesn't need the mobility or availability of clergy, and lacks the moralist support to make many of them, and so recruiting a lot of clergy would be a pointless middle ground when you could just recruit teachers who educate far better than clergy.

It would kinda raise the point that if clergy are just shittier teachers, then why keep them at all, but I think that would depend mostly on if Victoria 3 does anything new with religion. If it's just like V2 then yeah replace clergy with teachers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, maybe you could also have it so for some nations like the USA, early on clergy would be better than teachers because you have a lot of land that has really poor literacy, promoting to clergy is cheaper, clergy naturally like to move between provinces far more than teachers do, and because you have a lot of people supporting moralism, it's even easier to promote pops to clergy. Meanwhile, a nation like France doesn't have a lot of land it needs to settle with Frenchmen and so it doesn't need the mobility or availability of clergy, and lacks the moralist support to make many of them, and so recruiting a lot of clergy would be a pointless middle ground when you could just recruit teachers who educate far better than clergy.

That sounds like a fuckton of complex game systems which would exist purely for historical railroading.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DStecks posted:

That sounds like a fuckton of complex game systems which would exist purely for historical railroading.

Yeah after typing it out, I read it back to myself and just kinda thought "is there really going to be a situation where I'm going to fiddle around with making clergy because they are slightly more efficient to teachers in my case, rather than just make teachers because end game they're better anyway and just ignore the fact that I could be .05% more efficient with clergy?" If V3 did something with religion mechanics, it should probably just remove clergy from education, accept that the USA and some colonial states won't be perfect, and then have clergy do the new thing. If it does nothing, it should probably get rid of clergy.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
In Victoria 2, is there any point in building naval bases in non-core provinces other than to get the supply/colonial range? I don't seem to get any supply/colonial points for them. I'm running "/gsg/ vickymod 1.10b", I haven't really played much since HoD came out so I don't know if that's different from vanilla.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Clergy might technically be a misnomer by the late game and Intellectuals might also be one by the early game and also somewhat offensive on a "the person that made this mod is an Internet atheist" kind of way but I don't think the game needs to have its education or pop systems more complicated for the sake of making that distinction.

Actually, why not just call them teachers?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Well they also lower CON for one thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's also a bunch of events that reference them stirring up locals against their occupiers. It's harder to imagine a popular uprising led by devout teachers.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
*Local administration cuts wages for teachers*

*Teachers lead rebellion, take capital*

*Institute teacherocracy*

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

DrSunshine posted:

I can only dream.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gort posted:

There's also a bunch of events that reference them stirring up locals against their occupiers. It's harder to imagine a popular uprising led by devout teachers.

Ahem.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

I once had a series of revolts as the US primarily because, as far as I could tell, I had accidentally overfunded my bureaucracy for far too long, and when I cut its funding to bring my bloated bureaucracy back into line, the remaining bureaucrats were severely underpaid and ended up revolting. Repeatedly.

Admittedly, this was back in earlier patches when constant revolts were a common problem and I probably just misunderstood the cause of the rebellions, but I like the image of underpaid bureaucrats taking up arms against the government, with the bureaucracy only finally getting streamlined when the bureaucrats are shot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is that guy a teacher? I skimmed the OP and I didn't spot him saying he was.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

what the hell

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

Is that guy a teacher? I skimmed the OP and I didn't spot him saying he was.

Short version: Guy was among other things a Marxist, and while in the village the local minister asked him to speak about how blessed he was by God. The guy refused and spoke to the villagers about the evils of religion and about the benefits of collectivization programs, and told them that they should refuse to fund the parasitic minister and instead use their resources to better themselves through science and rationality instead of skygods.

He later heard that the villagers killed the minister and his family and were selling the bricks from the church to raise money for a new well.

It is worth noting that the guy in the story was a Laissez Faire mod, and that the entire thing was a fakepost.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is Germany having giant Jacobin revolts every 5 years or so pretty common? I don't want to become a democracy until France is even smaller and shittier (two states acquired and I'm currently breaking off Catalonia), but this poo poo is getting old (especially when Jacobin brigades form and just revolt whenever they feel like).

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Don't know what that has to do with teachers revolting, but it's fake anyway.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
FSAD is a teacher

The villagers revolted against the priest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

gradenko_2000 posted:

Clergy might technically be a misnomer by the late game and Intellectuals might also be one by the early game and also somewhat offensive on a "the person that made this mod is an Internet atheist" kind of way but I don't think the game needs to have its education or pop systems more complicated for the sake of making that distinction.

Actually, why not just call them teachers?

Intellectuals doesn't seem that much of a misnomer to me. Maybe its because I've never been on r/atheism but I would class clergy as a subset of intellectuals.

• Locked thread