Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like Wolf Creek 1 because problematic nature is dope.

Does a dog have problematic nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One of the newly-added episodes of Comedy Bang Bang! has Pee-Wee Herman as a guest and with the show's format it's basically a brand new episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Totally worth giving a watch just to see how good a handle Paul Rubens has on the character even 20 years later.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yikes, I don't think I could stand to watch a feature length Chris Chan doc. Speaking of fandom docs I'd like to see one about Homestuck, since I legitimately have no clue what that whole thing is even about.

I think the reason there aren't many films about body snatchers, dopple gangers, etc. nowadays is because a lot those stories were fueled by Cold War paranoia about espionage and the fear that 'the enemy is among us'. You'd have to find a creative way to reframe it to make it seem more relevant to today's socio-political climate. Also it'd probably be more psychological thriller than horror.

Meanwhile zombies remain popular because people like to fantasize about being able to kill a bunch of other people and not feel bad about it.

The Faculty makes it about something very different and it rules. They Live! is also basically a pod people movie with the reverse message and is probably like, the best movie?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, Trailer Park Boys: The Movie makes such a great end for the series, that I don't know if I even want to be bothered with Countdown to Liquor Day.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dark Secrets much like Ghost Adventurers is total horseshit that does as poor a job as possible sussing out mysterys and presenting it as fact with reenactment and avoid showing any actual evidence even when discussing their existence. I love the macabre and the stranger side of reality but this is like goosebumps for adults.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 28, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So The Institute is pretty good, I guess? Watch it if you like high-effort interactive performance art and/or slow shots of cameras going through doorways set to lo-fi.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

So The Institute is pretty good, I guess? Watch it if you like high-effort interactive performance art and/or slow shots of cameras going through doorways set to lo-fi.

So, like the early Resident Evil games?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

It's probably worth noting that the people behind it are also involved with Negativland, the National Cynical Network, etc. It made a little more sense when I figured that out. The narrator is Philo Drummond, IIRC.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The Shield season 7 was finally added to the Canadian Netflix. It's time to see how this whole thing ends.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, Trailer Park Boys: The Movie makes such a great end for the series, that I don't know if I even want to be bothered with Countdown to Liquor Day.

The Movie was actually released between seasons 6 and 7. Watch Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys and then Countdown to Liquor Day for the "intended" ending to the series (except not really because there's a third movie and an eighth season coming out).

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Meatwave posted:

It only took me 20 years, but I think I finally figured out Johnny Mnemonic's puny 80gb.

Other people can store petabytes, but Keanu Reeves' character is an idiot.

It's actually just a vhs tape in there.

Unrelated, but it looks like Taxi Driver is only going to available until the end of the month. I just watched it for the first time recently and it was great throughout, except for the epilogue, which seemed tonally inconsistent and implausible in the context of the rest of the film.

Also, it was interesting to finally see the "you talkin' to me?" scene in context. So many people have done bad impressions overdoing it, but what the scene really demonstrates is Travis' nervousness and lack of confidence. In a way, the character himself is doing an impression of an imagined "tough guy" self-image.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 29, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Just did a double feature of Days of Heaven and Bernie. Love you, Netflix!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Unrelated, but it looks like Taxi Driver is only going to available until the end of the month. I just watched it for the first time recently and it was great throughout, except for the epilogue, which seemed tonally inconsistent and implausible in the context of the rest of the film.

A lot of people like to believe that the epilogue is Travis's dying dream

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I know even Ebert subscribed to that theory, but "it was all a dream" is seriously the laziest interpretation you can make about a thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is nothing implausible about Taxi Driver's ending.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
Taxi Driver's ending is pretty much perfect. It is a masterpiece.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Countdown to Liquor Day was not very good. It was boring and it almost felt like they forgot to write jokes in the script between outlining the plot and filming it. It's got some pretty amazing drunk Lahey goodness down towards the end, and there's a visual gag with Randy throughout the film that made me laugh every time he was on screen. You've got a pretty decent slog in front of you to get to the laughs, but if you're patient you'll enjoy the good stuff in spite of the more lackluster stuff surrounding it.

Give it a go if you've already put in the time watching everything else. What the hell.

e: And the series isn't ending. Netflix just signed for two exclusive seasons of TPB that should be coming in a few months. They just finished filming seasons eight and nine.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 29, 2014

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Society accepting and praising violent behavior? How implausible!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So is every Nickelodeon cartoon.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is nothing implausible about Taxi Driver's ending.

Is Travis Bickle's epilogue ever spoken about as being a fantasy, like how people speculate that everything after Seth Rogen gets the poo poo beat out of him by the cops is his character writing a happy ending for himself in Observe & Report? I don't ask for any real concrete reason, other than I enjoy drawing parallels between the two movies.

e: Someone already answered that and I missed it. Never mind.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 29, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The idea of Taxi Driver's ending being a dying fantasy is supportable by the text but it's also way, way less compelling than the alternative.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

whoa way off

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The idea of Taxi Driver's ending being a dying fantasy is supportable by the text but it's also way, way less compelling than the alternative.

I recall that part was ok, but the coda of him giving Cybill Shepherd one last, speechless ride was puzzling. I couldn't read her expression nor De Niro's.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I recall that part was ok, but the coda of him giving Cybill Shepherd one last, speechless ride was puzzling. I couldn't read her expression nor De Niro's.

Kinda the point, though it has an unsettling penultimate shot, right before the rear view mirror is adjusted, where the camera is under cranked and shot on what looks to be 16 mm stock instead of 35 mm. The result is a really disturbing final shot that is one of my favorite shots in all filmdom, letting you know that despite Travis Bickle's "heroics", he's still the same disturbed person.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Like gonzalez said, that's kind of the point. We're to assume that Travis just kind of views her as a regular passenger and acquaintance now, and she's no longer the object of his obsession. Not to say that Travis isn't still disturbed, just that she's no longer in his radar of crazy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I also want to give huge kudos to Bernard Herrmann's score throughout, and especially the audio sting in that last shot. His scores for Psycho and Vertigo (justifiably) get lots of love, but the Taxi Driver score is certainly on par with them.

Taxi Driver is one of about a mere dozen films that gets my highest rating.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 29, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Travis Bickle's epilogue ever spoken about as being a fantasy, like how people speculate that everything after Seth Rogen gets the poo poo beat out of him by the cops is his character writing a happy ending for himself in Observe & Report?

All the time, which is far less interesting than the alternative.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just want to say that The People Under the Stairs is probably like one of the best underrated films I've ever seen. I think a lot of people are harsh on it because it's by Wes Craven and it isn't technically what most people expect from him but I thought it was very well-written and plotted. I loved that it was a modern urban twist on the fairy tale motif- kid with a silly nickname goes into a big scary place to rescue a maiden, outwit the bad guys, find hidden treasure and prove his manhood. I can definitely sense a little bit of Scream in there, too. So campy and so much fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

All the time, which is far less interesting than the alternative.

When you think about it Taxi Driver would be the ultimate pro-gun control movie if they didn't make such a huge point out of showing how insanely illegal all his guns are.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

I just want to say that The People Under the Stairs is probably like one of the best underrated films I've ever seen. I think a lot of people are harsh on it because it's by Wes Craven and it isn't technically what most people expect from him but I thought it was very well-written and plotted. I loved that it was a modern urban twist on the fairy tale motif- kid with a silly nickname goes into a big scary place to rescue a maiden, outwit the bad guys, find hidden treasure and prove his manhood. I can definitely sense a little bit of Scream in there, too. So campy and so much fun.

I always thought of it as Wes Craven's Home Alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing that makes Taxi Driver's epilogue interesting is that the perverse flip it takes is something you could honestly see people lauding.

I always cite Goetz, but let's take a more recent example: Christopher Dorner. Whatever you say about ironic internet appreciation or what have you, there's a not-insignificant amount of people who are sort of in his corner because at some level he had a legitimate gripe, despite the fact that he shot and killed two completely innocent people. Let's say now, in 2014, some guy made the news for killing a pimp and rescuing an underage prostitute. What do you think would be the popular reaction?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When you think about it Taxi Driver would be the ultimate pro-gun control movie if they didn't make such a huge point out of showing how insanely illegal all his guns are.

I always thought Easy Andy looked like Beck. New York City used to be notoriously porous and lax about gun ownership, too, even though it's been the law forever that concealed carry is technically legal but they hold onto the licenses for dear life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 29, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

I also want to give huge kudos to Bernard Herrmann's score throughout, and especially the audio sting in that last shot. His scores for Psycho and Vertigo (justifiably) get lots of love, but the Taxi Driver score is certainly on par with them.

Taxi Driver is one of about a mere dozen films that gets my highest rating.

The repetitive score is distracting and tiring and it's possibly the film's biggest flaw.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mescal posted:

The repetitive score is distracting and tiring and it's possibly the film's biggest flaw.

The score is one of the greatest ever put to film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The score is one of the greatest ever put to film.

Yeah, very easily.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The point at which the score starts to blend from jazzy and lyrical to driving and martial is signaled before Travis and Betsy's date, where there's a brief interlude of a street corner drummer working himself into a sweat. A relic of a bygone social milieu prostituting himself for the pocket change of passers by. Travis is not crazy, or at least he is not "merely" a crazy person.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

Boo this man

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I said this here when I watched it a few months ago but Taxi Driver is not a good movie :colbert:. It's boring and pointless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

drunken officeparty posted:

I said this here when I watched it a few months ago but Taxi Driver is not a good movie :colbert:. It's boring and pointless.

I remember asking you to clarify and you never did.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
Didn't Hermann only make a few pieces for the movie because he up and died in the middle of creating the score? And then Scorsese decided to just use the few pieces Hermann made over and over again? Also it is a great soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of fly-by making GBS threads on beloved movies: Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just an aggressively unpleasant movie.

• Locked thread