Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Ugh, Jesus Christ, GG Infinite has the absolute worst markup I've ever seen on Japanese import plastic. I decided to take the plunge on the web exclusive MG Hi-Nu HWS parts, and they have about a 65% markup on it before shipping. That's some scummy poo poo right there.

To be fair its not a universal markup on all their 'Japanese import plastic', usually I see their prices at about the same as most other online retailers. That said I rarely buy from them anymore just because their stocking and shipping are behind the curve.

I bought the Build Fighters R35 Gouf on Amazon and it arrived from Japan during the great forums outtage of o'14. GG just got it this week I think and are 'now shipping'. Same price, but I got it faster and with free shipping. I've had similar experiences using eBay with free shipping from Japan.

Maybe I'm just impatient but when a kit comes out and there's a ton of reviews and custom builds already on there it makes me want it in my hot little hands that much sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Well we had to see them sooner or later: Bandai is running out of UC mobile suits to turn into models, so they have to resort to the more obscure stuff.

They're going pretty obscure, alright. I don't understand why original-recipe MSV hasn't really had a presence in HGUC, though I guess the few MGs didn't exactly set the world on fire.

edit: anyone have a line on Amazon preorders for Hi-Nu ver.Ka? MG X was my first time buying Gunpla on Amazon, and it was pretty nice to receive it in a semi-timely manner without paying out the arse for shipping.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jegan Ace posted:

Grats on your new Zssa baby, Neddy. Hope to see some pictures of your new arrival in the near future.

Also, what do you guys think of this one:

I'm going to get it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So I finally decided to get back on this nightmare Gunpla train and start working on my backlog. After buying some new kits of course. I picked up Zaku Amazing as well as Kaempfer Amazing because, well, they both looked amazing. I'm a big Zaku fan in general and Kaempfer is super rad, not to mention 0080 being my favorite Gundam series. I completed the Zaku Amazing which was a lot of fun. I was then inspired to work on a kit I bought a long time ago but was too intimidated to open up, Kshatriya. Fo Kshatriya, I was considering painting it to help cover up any nub marks as well as kick it up a level but I can't find anything remotely similar to the green it uses. Is it worth painting? What color green should I be using? Should I just top coat it? Thanks a lot for any input. I really love this suit and want it to look as good as I can make it. Any criticism of my Zaku would be welcome too. Thanks a lot guys. Glad to be back in the swing of wasting money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To make your Kampfer as Amazing as possible, I recommend buying an Amazing Weapon Binder and stack those cannons. Two is good, but four is better! :black101:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To make your Kampfer as Amazing as possible, I recommend buying an Amazing Weapon Binder and stack those cannons. Two is good, but four is better! :black101:

I actually do have that since I thought I needed it to go with the Kaempfer for the full effect. Little did I know just how over armed it's going to be.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow, now that it's built, MG Heavyarms looks surprisingly small next to my UC kits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Honest Ray posted:

Is it worth painting? What color green should I be using? Should I just top coat it? Thanks a lot for any input.

The Kshatriya actually has most of its colors molded out in plastic, the only thing you have to worry about are the Sleeves markings. And, well, either get really good at applying stickers or break out the paint.

The thing has two shades of green. Unless you're using Mr. Color you'll never get an exact color match, so just pick a shade of green you like and do a 1:3 mixture with white to lighten it.

quote:

Any criticism of my Zaku would be welcome too.

First off, turn off your camera's flash and move a lamp over. Your camera will straight up take better photos if you have better lighting, and the better your photos the easier it is to comment on your kits.

Anyways from what I can see it's a solid straight build. I see nubs all over the place (mostly because the flash highlights them), some uneven/broken panel lines (gonna guess you used a marker?), and some minor seams, but other then that it looks fine. The guns, though, again it could just be the flash but the paint looks really thick. I'm not really a fan of how you just painted the entire thing silver either, but hey if you like it then it's your call.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, now that it's built, MG Heavyarms looks surprisingly small next to my UC kits.

All AU designs are pretty small.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The Kshatriya actually has most of its colors molded out in plastic, the only thing you have to worry about are the Sleeves markings. And, well, either get really good at applying stickers or break out the paint.

The thing has two shades of green. Unless you're using Mr. Color you'll never get an exact color match, so just pick a shade of green you like and do a 1:3 mixture with white to lighten it.

To add to this, even if you have Mr. Color or Mr. Hobby, you'll have to hand-mix several different shades to get the correct one. The proportions are listed under the corresponding swatches in the colour guide in the instruction manual. This site has a handy translation guide to which moon runes in the manual refer to which bottle of paint.

If you've not mixed paints before, get yourself some plastic pipettes from an art or cookery store, and some empty glass jars with screw-on lids or caps. Use the pipettes to measure out the proportions you want, then store your mix in the jars until you've used it all up or you finally finish painting. Saves having to mix up a fresh batch every time you sit down, at any rate. :downsgun:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

First off, turn off your camera's flash and move a lamp over. Your camera will straight up take better photos if you have better lighting, and the better your photos the easier it is to comment on your kits.

Anyways from what I can see it's a solid straight build. I see nubs all over the place (mostly because the flash highlights them), some uneven/broken panel lines (gonna guess you used a marker?), and some minor seams, but other then that it looks fine. The guns, though, again it could just be the flash but the paint looks really thick. I'm not really a fan of how you just painted the entire thing silver either, but hey if you like it then it's your call.

All AU designs are pretty small.

I retook some photos in better lighting
http://imgur.com/a/tklgj

I never realized how visible a lot of those nubs are since I just keep these guys on a shelf or desk far enough away to not see it. I've been trying to shave them down better with a hobby knife but I guess I still have a lot of work to do on that front. Also, I did use a felt pen for the panel lining on the model. Never done anything with hiding seam lines before either. What would you reccommend for the guns? I thought the plastic they were in was pretty boring ooking and thought it would help break it up a little.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Stay away from flake metallic paints, for starters. Those look awful on anything that's not a '60s-era dune buggy.

At the very least, find a good fine-grained silver to mix with grey or black for use on weapons and mechanisms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I have to bring this to everyone's attention:

Somebody at Bandai thought THIS was something that should be sold to consumers.

In other news, the MC 1/144 Xi Gundam has an estimated release date of sometime in July. Still no confirmed price yet, hence no ability to pre-order. I will throw out a link as soon as it becomes available though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone actually like clear/crystal? I don't understand how there's a demand for those kits.

Edit vvv maybe, but I always see lots of them unsold and on sale and cheap or at second hand places in Japan so... vvv

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The demand is obviously there, since they turn them out by the truckload and have been doing so continuously for almost 20 years.

As for the thing pictured, the only reason needed is "it's Strike Freedom." I'm sure they'll sell every one.

edit: I actually like some of the more subdued crystals - this thing looks pretty cool IMO but I can't think of any real justification for getting one.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have the plavsky clear Build Strike and I really like how it looks lit up by LEDs or my display cabinet lights. It's nice having something that stands out even more once in a while.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I want a clear RX-78 3.0 so I can paint up the inner frame and the left side of the armour so the unpainted bit shows off the internals.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I'll never understand the clear kits either. They just look so drat goofy to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jegan Ace posted:

And so it begins.

HG 1/144 G-Self - Announced!

Late, but this is gorgeous. Kinda funny Tomino's big return has a main suit with variations to sell it over and over. Won't complain, it seems super detailed for an HG too.

What's the other pack that's announced?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone actually like clear/crystal? I don't understand how there's a demand for those kits.

Clear kits get around the hassle of having to cover up the sometimes gorgeously detailed inner frames, and crystal kits look great under the appropriate lighting.

I feel like this is the third time I've said this this thread.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Luminaflare posted:

I want a clear RX-78 3.0 so I can paint up the inner frame and the left side of the armour so the unpainted bit shows off the internals.

Just announced. I really liked the 3D-puzzle quality of the 3.0 and this kit would be a nice way of showing that off (though the inner frame is nothing to write home about, looks-wise)

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
New mobile suit preview - the "Montero" from G-Reco.

I love the grenade sideskirts a'la the Jesta.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
It looks more like an OG SRW mech than a Gundam unit.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The head and legs are evocative of a Lion.

The chest looks like it ought to have a GN Drive in there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quantumavenger posted:

It looks more like an OG SRW mech than a Gundam unit.

Not nearly pointy enough.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty uninspired stuff from G-Reco thus far, but at least the bad guys don't look like Tekkaman Blade rejects this time and I'm glad Ebikawa's not involved because I'm seriously sick of his aesthetic.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Does anyone know if there's an HGUC-sized version of the missile launcher from 08th MS Team? It doesn't seem like the Ground Gundam has it, and as far as I can tell there's no Ground GM... was it released in one of the weapon packs? I'd really like to make an 08th MS Team diorama but it just wouldn't be complete without that weapon.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Does anyone know if there's an HGUC-sized version of the missile launcher from 08th MS Team? It doesn't seem like the Ground Gundam has it, and as far as I can tell there's no Ground GM... was it released in one of the weapon packs? I'd really like to make an 08th MS Team diorama but it just wouldn't be complete without that weapon.

Is this what you're looking for?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Is this what you're looking for?

I think he's talking about the handheld missile launcher like the one that came with the GM Sniper:

Like that?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I think he's talking about the handheld missile launcher like the one that came with the GM Sniper:

Like that?

Yesssss, this is the one. Thank you!

EDIT: Er, wait, which GM sniper is this? I only see a HGUC GM Sniper II...

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 29, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's the MG, I don't know if it came with any HGUC kits. I only know that because I got one myself.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Oh. Well, poo poo.

Upon further research, it looks like there's an old 90s 1/144 HG (no UC) GM(G) that might come with it... It's really drat cheap, so I might end up just grabbing it for the weapon and throw away the MS.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The old HG Ground GM does include the launcher. It's simplistic compared to the MG, but it's there. The GM itself has pretty decent looks considering its age, even though it could probably provide you with a one-kit master course in seam removal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just finished up the weapons and stuff on my MG Heavyarms. I know that nobody would ever really pose Heavyarms with a beam saber, but it's still pretty funny that the last panel on the instructions appears to be saying "here's the hilt for the beam saber, and if you want an actual beam for it, buy one or take one off your other kits". Am I missing something, or does only the right hand actually have a peg to grip the gun? I'm confused because the photos show it posed holding the gatling gun one-handed, which doesn't seem possible to me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Son Ryo posted:

Oh. Well, poo poo.

Upon further research, it looks like there's an old 90s 1/144 HG (no UC) GM(G) that might come with it... It's really drat cheap, so I might end up just grabbing it for the weapon and throw away the MS.

Don't throw away the GM, make it all battledamaged and use it in a Gouf R35 diorama.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just finished up the weapons and stuff on my MG Heavyarms. I know that nobody would ever really pose Heavyarms with a beam saber, but it's still pretty funny that the last panel on the instructions appears to be saying "here's the hilt for the beam saber, and if you want an actual beam for it, buy one or take one off your other kits". Am I missing something, or does only the right hand actually have a peg to grip the gun? I'm confused because the photos show it posed holding the gatling gun one-handed, which doesn't seem possible to me.

You're must not be seeing the handle for the left hand. Here's a good shot of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V5e_P8WMqu4#t=325 (5:25 in case the timestamp doesn't work).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You're must not be seeing the handle for the left hand. Here's a good shot of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V5e_P8WMqu4#t=325 (5:25 in case the timestamp doesn't work).

Thanks, I see it now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a fresh set of free HG giveaway weapons coming. First three are available from July 19th, the other three get released on August 9.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
More shots of the ZII

:allears:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone built a Turn X yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Their prices are kinda poo poo, but amusingly all models with the name Freedom or Justice in them are 10% off on Gundam Planet in celebration of the 4th of July. I shouldn't be laughing as much as I am at this.

• Locked thread