Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blankgambit
Mar 30, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Who is the most overpushed wrestler?

Alberto Del Rio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Khali, next question

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Luigi Thirty posted:

Khali, next question

Biggest gap between in - ring abilities and popularity?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

sean10mm posted:

Tyson Kidd

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Brodus Clay? Never cared much about the guy but that Miz TV interview he did after his heel turn was actually really good and got lots of heat.

Thank God Miz TV appears to be dead. Bring on Ambrose Alley.

I want one final Miz TV where Ambrose shows up, beats the poo poo out of Miz and lights his set on fire. Then Ambrose Alley debuts the next week, complete with the charred remains of Miz's couch.

Daniel Bryan posted:

2011 Miz

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Hulk Hogan :supaburn:

except in Japan

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

sean10mm posted:

Goldust and Stardust :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hulk Hogan :supaburn:

except in Japan

If we're going that way, wouldn't Warrior be a better answer?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cool page.

Kevin Nash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dias posted:

If we're going that way, wouldn't Warrior be a better answer?

Hogan was so much more popular than Warrior.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan was so much more popular than Warrior.

Now you're getting into an argument like which movie was a bigger bomb, Pluto Nash (2m gross on 100m budget) or 13th Warrior (60m gross on 160m budget). Warrior was godawful even compared to Hogan but he was also less popular than Hogan and for a shorter run.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now you're getting into an argument like which movie was a bigger bomb, Pluto Nash (2m gross on 100m budget) or 13th Warrior (60m gross on 160m budget). Warrior was godawful even compared to Hogan but he was also less popular than Hogan and for a shorter run.

Hogan was much more popular than Warrior.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Did Kane ever beat the Undertaker clean? And by clean I mean didn't cheat.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spikeguy posted:

In a straight up singles match, I don't think it ever happened. They had a lot of gimmick matches in their 2010 program, in which Kane may have beat him within the rules of those matches.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Daniel Bryan posted:

Nobody in the history of wrestling has ever been pushed longer or harder than John Cena, and he has rarely got the reaction from the crowd that they intended so he's hands down the answer for me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spikeguy posted:

Night of champions 2010 was totally clean.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

Nobody in the history of wrestling has ever been pushed longer or harder than John Cena, and he has rarely got the reaction from the crowd that they intended so he's hands down the answer for me.

There are also very few wrestlers who have made a company more money than John Cena so that's a dumb answer.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

and also John Cena is one of the best wrestlers in the world

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Also not getting the right reaction really doesn't matter, since they've been actively banking on this for years most of the time while also using this in storylines, even if they don't always do it perfect.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
People always go "Cena sucks" but rarely, rarely cheer for his opponent by name.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the part where he explains his own personal definition of "overbooked" that somehow applies perfectly to this situation.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

RacistGuidingLight posted:

People always go "Cena sucks" but rarely, rarely cheer for his opponent by name.

They know that Cena's opponent stands no change.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Also not getting the right reaction really doesn't matter, since they've been actively banking on this for years most of the time while also using this in storylines, even if they don't always do it perfect.

I liked when all they did was keep calling Cena "controversial" and hoped it'd catch on

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Positive chants have no effect. WWE stopped screwing Bryan once fans became relentlessly negative.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The only bad heat is no heat.

Unless you're Heel Michael Cole, then you can listen to the sound of a million TVs changing the channel.

oldpainless posted:

Night of champions 2010 was totally clean.
Wasn't that during the "Taker is losing his magic powers" angle?

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I liked when all they did was keep calling Cena "controversial" and hoped it'd catch on

RUCK FULES

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sticklefifer posted:

The only bad heat is no heat.

Unless you're Heel Michael Cole, then you can listen to the sound of a million TVs changing the channel.

Wasn't that during the "Taker is losing his magic powers" angle?

Noc was a clean Kane win which led to taker doubting himself and the return of Paul bearer screwed taker over at bragging rights and then the buried alive match which nexus interfered in.

So, yes.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Is there a difference between a spear and a gore or is it just that a large, stocky guy does the latter?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Desumaytah posted:

Is there a difference between a spear and a gore or is it just that a large, stocky guy does the latter?

It's that his name is Rhino, and a rhino attacking with it's horn is called goring.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What high school did Dean Ambrose go to? I ask this because I'm from Cincinnati and he's as old as I am, and I have it narrowed down to three schools he could have gone to based upon his biographical information. Unfortunately, finding his exact high school has not been as easy as one would think. We didn't go to high school together or anything, but it would be cool to know ipso facto.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Maybe look through a yearbook? I don't know why you'd spend that much time on it but whatever.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
No big deal just trying to stalk Dean Ambrose

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

It's just for Rhino. When Lashley or Kaitlyn do it it's still called a spear.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

MassRafTer posted:

There are also very few wrestlers who have made a company more money than John Cena so that's a dumb answer.

Millions of fans have switched off because of Cena's push but there's no way to put a comparable value on that is there so what's the point in bringing up money?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

Millions of fans have switched off because of Cena's push but there's no way to put a comparable value on that is there so what's the point in bringing up money?

Millions of fans turn out in pretty much every era and are replaced by new fans, that's how wrestling works. While there is a core fanbase, overall there is a lot of fanbase, people cycling in and out. Behind John Cena WWE has started generating absolutely insane revenues. He accounts for $100,000,000 per year. That's the point of bringing up money, because the purpose of a company is to make money. We can pretend it isn't, but, it is. John Cena makes a lot of money for WWE, has a lot of great matches and comforts dying children, he isn't the most overpushed wrestler.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Saul Goode posted:

Where's your evidence on this

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Millions of fans turn out in pretty much every era and are replaced by new fans, that's how wrestling works. While there is a core fanbase, overall there is a lot of fanbase, people cycling in and out. Behind John Cena WWE has started generating absolutely insane revenues. He accounts for $100,000,000 per year. That's the point of bringing up money, because the purpose of a company is to make money. We can pretend it isn't, but, it is. John Cena makes a lot of money for WWE, has a lot of great matches and comforts dying children, he isn't the most overpushed wrestler.

He is by far and away the most overpushed wrestler. If I had a company that was the only company offering a kind of product and I chose one particular thing to promote and market and sell above everything else for ten years, and in that ten year period my customer base was arguably a third or a fourth of what it could have been based on previous sales histories then I'd quite rightly assume that the fraction of customers who stuck around only did so because there is literally nowhere else to go to get that kind of product and they're not totally disgusted with the thing that represents that product, but that's just me. The missing fans are more representative of Cena's overpush than the ones who've stayed in my opinion, but I can't quantify that amount so my argument is going to look ridiculous in comparison to yours, and I freely admit that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

He is by far and away the most overpushed wrestler. If I had a company that was the only company offering a kind of product and I chose one particular thing to promote and market and sell above everything else for ten years, and in that ten year period my customer base was arguably a third or a fourth of what it could have been based on previous sales histories then I'd quite rightly assume that the fraction of customers who stuck around only did so because there is literally nowhere else to go to get that kind of product and they're not totally disgusted with the thing that represents that product, but that's just me. The missing fans are more representative of Cena's overpush than the ones who've stayed in my opinion, but I can't quantify that amount so my argument is going to look ridiculous in comparison to yours, and I freely admit that.

There's a reason you can't quantify it, because under this direction the company has generated more revenue than it ever has and when you do that there is very little chance your top star is anything but a huge positive for business.

Edit: Are you seriously saying that Raw should have 12-15 million viewers a week? Because that is what it would mean for the customer base to be a third or fourth of what it could have been. During the Attitude era Raw was watched by 5-6 million people per week at its peak, and viewership was at 5 million for a decent amount of time into the Cena era. How in the hell would the fan base right now be 1/4-1/3 of what it should be? That's INSANE.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 28, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

There's a reason you can't quantify it, because under this direction the company has generated more revenue than it ever has and when you do that there is very little chance your top star is anything but a huge positive for business.

If you're losing almost half your customer base while generating more revenue it's probably because of the way you're doing business, not the talent you have fronting the matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

If you're losing almost half your customer base while generating more revenue, it's probably because of the way you're doing business, not the talent you have fronting the matches.

WWE hasn't lost half its customer base. Raw averages around 4 million viewers per week now, compared to 5-6 million at the absolute peak of the company's popularity, which was half a decade before Cena came in.