Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Trickyrive posted:

These suggestions are all great! I've put them all on the Mayeboard and moved things around. I especially like possibility storm and goblin game. I'll keep messing with it and see what other interesting random cards I find.

Teferi's Puzzle Box

Fastest way to make everyone hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

OssiansFolly posted:

Teferi's Puzzle Box

I put that in my Rat deck for good reason.

And Possibility Storm will create some amazing chance plays for everyone so it needs to be Mainboard.

:) "I play Arobor Elf"
:v: "Possibility Storm Trigger"
:) "My Arbor Elf is actually a Worldspine Wurm."
:stonk:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 20, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I put that in my Rat deck for good reason.

And Possibility Storm will create some amazing chance plays for everyone so it needs to be Mainboard.

:) "I play Arobor Elf"
:v: "Possibility Storm Trigger"
:) "My Arbor Elf is actually a Worldspine Wurm."
:stonk:

Teferi's is one of my favorite cards in my Nekusar Deck. Nothing says "screw you and the deck strategies you have" like a Puzzle Box on turn 2.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

OssiansFolly posted:

Teferi's is one of my favorite cards in my Nekusar Deck. Nothing says "screw you and the deck strategies you have" like a Puzzle Box on turn 2.

It's glorious.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

Teferi's Puzzle Box

Memory jar too!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Memory jar too!

I love Memory Jar, but as a one shot I didn't put it in my Nekusar deck. I do love my Sire of Insanity though. "Better start vomitting cards into play!"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

I love Memory Jar, but as a one shot I didn't put it in my Nekusar deck.

What if someone gets rid of your Puzzle Box? Wouldn't Memory Jar sort of a backup even if it's a 1-shot? Aren't there tons of blue ways to bring artifacts back from the graveyard?

quote:

I do love my Sire of Insanity though. "Better start vomitting cards into play!"

Yeah he rocks in Nekusar decks and I'm really happy that almost nobody at my LGS thought to run him in theirs.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Fanzay posted:

It's glorious.

what's even more hilarious is sticking the puzzle box in a goblin deck and watch everyone flip their poo poo.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Would it be a dick move to run 3 teferi's in a mono red devotion modern deck?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Literally The Worst posted:

I meant specifically for Omnath because it's one of the two decks I give a gently caress about.

Oh, I know, I was just making a point about reprints in Conspiracy being convenient.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nomadic Scholar posted:

what's even more hilarious is sticking the puzzle box in a goblin deck and watch everyone flip their poo poo.

I hadn't thought of this. Hmmm...

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Just found the eternal bargain and mind seize commander packs for 30 each at a local walmart, picked them up and decided it was time to revisit red black and blue as a deck. Nekusar seems pretty popular on here, but unheard of locally, so I may try that out for size and incorporate a number of conspiracy cards as well. Any absolute must have cards I should look at for when it comes to Nekusar or the color combination on general?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This is my first EDH deck; I don't totally know what I'm doing, though I've read most of the primers I could find. I'm not expecting a super competitive group, but I don't want a do-nothing deck either. However, I tried a sample hand with the deck and it had 2 lands, no ramp, a 10 drop, and a 12 drop.

I came up with this: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghost-of-a-chance/

The theme, as mentioned, is 5-color Spirit tribal, especially the Kamigawa variety.

Probably needs more ramp, but I'm not sure what. I'm definitely on a budget, too.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Using a lot of the cards I have gotten from Vintage Masters, and just from all of my other decks, I have put together a pretty fun Melek storm deck.

I've been able to chain some combos, including infinite Palinchron (High Tide or Mana Flare) into any of a number of storm cards, and a Memory Jar into a Cyclonic Rift (they have to discard it all yay!)!

So yeah, VMA is good for more than just fun drafting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mind sharing a decklist for that storm deck?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I figure I'll ask you guys this before braving the howling wasteland that is Salvation:

I built my Lazav deck to be mill-less, because I think mill is a bad and highly punishable strategy. I tried to focus on getting creatures into the bin via counterspells and spot removal, but I'm not satisfied. Also, the deck is having some trouble killing people in a timely fashion - I want improved access to my opponents' creatures, particularly via reanimation.

So, it's time to add some mill. I want to avoid mill for mill's sake, and focus on cards that can commit a sizable threat to the board that do some milling on the side. Some examples of cards that fit this description:
Sewer Nemesis
Consuming Aberration
Extract From Darkness

What else in UB operates this way? I have been ignoring every mill card so aggressively that I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

LordSaturn posted:

What else in UB operates this way? I have been ignoring every mill card so aggressively that I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Geralf's Mindcrusher is pretty good for this, and Jace's Mindseeker mills and gives you a free instant or sorcery out of the cards you hit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

I figure I'll ask you guys this before braving the howling wasteland that is Salvation:

I built my Lazav deck to be mill-less, because I think mill is a bad and highly punishable strategy. I tried to focus on getting creatures into the bin via counterspells and spot removal, but I'm not satisfied. Also, the deck is having some trouble killing people in a timely fashion - I want improved access to my opponents' creatures, particularly via reanimation.

So, it's time to add some mill. I want to avoid mill for mill's sake, and focus on cards that can commit a sizable threat to the board that do some milling on the side. Some examples of cards that fit this description:
Sewer Nemesis
Consuming Aberration
Extract From Darkness

I have a Crosis, the Purger list that is not very good but has a mill subtheme (for stealing purposes). A couple relevant cards-
-Mirko Vosk triggers a free Mind Funeral when he connects with an opponent, and is flying to boot.
-Jace MA is probably too "straight mill" but he can at least draw you cards.
-Breaking//Entering lets you steal a creature, AND you can have Lazav copy that creature before you steal it.
-Extractor Demon rewards you for getting creatures out of play in ways that UB likes (read the card- killing or bounce will trigger it)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

During the downtime I bit the bullet and spent some time at MTGS looking for answers. My decision was Consuming Aberration/Extract From Darkness/Mindcrank. The latter is not a beatstick but it's a two-mana noncreature that's likely to roll over a bunch of cards at random here and there.

I cannot run Breaking // Entering in Lazav. I do not like Extractor Demon, as I don't have basically any repeatable bounce/kill.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

whydirt posted:

Mind sharing a decklist for that storm deck?

It's not amazing, but it's pretty fun. I will throw out a deck list when I get home today.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

En Fuego posted:

It's not amazing, but it's pretty fun. I will throw out a deck list when I get home today.

Please do. I'd be interested to see what a deck around that guy kooks like. And if it's anything like what you've described, doubly so!

I built a deck around Teysa, Orzhov Scion. I had a grave pact and a dictate of erebos sitting around and decided that was how it was going to be. I came up with this:

http://deckstats.net/decks/11141/100409-teysa-stax/en

Currently, it is unplayed, but a friend has said to bring it around tomorrow night to see how it goes. He's seen the list and has given me some suggestions on how to possibly improve it, as follows:

Rend Flesh
Exhume
Diabolic Edict

Animate Dead
Reanimate
Lingering Souls
Blood artist
Unburial Rites

Godless Shrine
Swords to Plowshares
Royal Assassin
Grave Titan
Solemn Simulacrum
Sun Titan
Rise of the Dark Realms
Loxodon Warhammer

Bearing in mind that the first copy of Athreos I get gets mooshed into this, are there any other suggestions that I am missing, or overlooked?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Man_alive posted:

any other suggestions that I am missing, or overlooked?

Debt to the Deathless is horribly broken in multiplayer commander.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Just found the eternal bargain and mind seize commander packs for 30 each at a local walmart, picked them up and decided it was time to revisit red black and blue as a deck. Nekusar seems pretty popular on here, but unheard of locally, so I may try that out for size and incorporate a number of conspiracy cards as well. Any absolute must have cards I should look at for when it comes to Nekusar or the color combination on general?

Have you thought about using the new Grixis Legendary from Conspiracy? She is pretty bad rear end...(and yes I know you just got new decks and want to use them).

Here is my newly reformed Nekusar deck. I intentionally left out infinite combos and cheap combos as this is meant to be FUN. You can always add in Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood, and/or Teferi and Knowledge Pool. Those two combos SHOULD just end the game for you if you get either out.

Elephant Ambush posted:

What if someone gets rid of your Puzzle Box? Wouldn't Memory Jar sort of a backup even if it's a 1-shot? Aren't there tons of blue ways to bring artifacts back from the graveyard?

Yeah he rocks in Nekusar decks and I'm really happy that almost nobody at my LGS thought to run him in theirs.

If someone gets rid of Puzzle Box then oh well. I'm going to end up with a crap ton of cards that make people draw cards anyways. The Puzzle Box is good, but it is in there so I can laugh at how awesome it is.

Yea...I don't know why people don't use Sire of Insanity more. He really is a star for this deck. If people don't have hands...they can't deal with your crazy strategy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want people to not be able to respond ever you play Erayo and Jin-Gitaxis.

Nothing says "gently caress anyone else having fun" like auto-countering the first spell of every turn while they can only have 1 card in hand.

No I'm not bitter because a friend did this to me before why would you ask that?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

LordSaturn posted:

Sewer Nemesis
Consuming Aberration
Extract From Darkness

Altar of Dementia is one of my favorite EDH cards and is now no longer impossible to find thanks to a Conspiracy reprint. It really works best in decks where you can put absurd amounts of power on the battlefield in one turn as an instant kill for the whole table (think Doubling Season + Avenger of Zendikar + Craterhoof Behemoth), but it's utility as a free sac outlet makes it helpful in a lot of situations. Surprise Terminus off of a Temple Bell threatening to tuck your commander? Sac in response to move him back to the command zone. Final Judgment threatening to interrupt your recursion plan? Sac all your dudes to keep them from exile. Overextended into an opponent's Living Death? Go ahead and send all your guys to the yard and get back everything you had plus whatever else was incidentally in there. I prefer the incidental milling to the mana you get from Ashnod's Altar since you can't always spend the mana if you have to sac things on your opponent's turn and it provides an out against decks that make it hard to win with damage. The only downside is you run the risk of enabling self mill or other graveyard matters decks, but if that's a big thing in your meta you'll probably be running hate for it anyways.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BXCX posted:

Altar of Dementia is one of my favorite EDH cards and is now no longer impossible to find thanks to a Conspiracy reprint. It really works best in decks where you can put absurd amounts of power on the battlefield in one turn as an instant kill for the whole table (think Doubling Season + Avenger of Zendikar + Craterhoof Behemoth), but it's utility as a free sac outlet makes it helpful in a lot of situations. Surprise Terminus off of a Temple Bell threatening to tuck your commander? Sac in response to move him back to the command zone. Final Judgment threatening to interrupt your recursion plan? Sac all your dudes to keep them from exile. Overextended into an opponent's Living Death? Go ahead and send all your guys to the yard and get back everything you had plus whatever else was incidentally in there. I prefer the incidental milling to the mana you get from Ashnod's Altar since you can't always spend the mana if you have to sac things on your opponent's turn and it provides an out against decks that make it hard to win with damage. The only downside is you run the risk of enabling self mill or other graveyard matters decks, but if that's a big thing in your meta you'll probably be running hate for it anyways.

I just recommended the Altar of Dementia to my buddy who made an EDH deck using Marchesa. It really is a good card that works hard for how simple it is.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

OssiansFolly posted:

Have you thought about using the new Grixis Legendary from Conspiracy? She is pretty bad rear end...(and yes I know you just got new decks and want to use them).

Here is my newly reformed Nekusar deck. I intentionally left out infinite combos and cheap combos as

I actually have a copy of Marchesa, but her abilities dont really appeal to me overall. It seems largely based around laying down the beats with undying creatures, and I've got other decks for that. I want Nekusar to be a bit more janky and have lots of ways to lay down some control while being hilarious with his own mechanic. Thanks for the list!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Deofuta posted:

I actually have a copy of Marchesa, but her abilities dont really appeal to me overall. It seems largely based around laying down the beats with undying creatures, and I've got other decks for that. I want Nekusar to be a bit more janky and have lots of ways to lay down some control while being hilarious with his own mechanic. Thanks for the list!

Word of advice...play it slooooooooowwww. With MY deck you can literally wipe the game and win in one turn, but if you try to and fail you are out. You will have to feel out your group. With my group they catch on pretty quick if you trickle in damage 1-2 at a time, so I've learned that I have to sit back and play politics. A little control here and a counter there while I build up a few things on the board. Once I get what I need I should win in a turn or 2. I've DEFINITELY taken the entire group from around 40 health to zero in a turn before, so now they are REALLY cautious when I play my Nekusar deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BXCX posted:

Overextended into an opponent's Living Death? Go ahead and send all your guys to the yard and get back everything you had plus whatever else was incidentally in there.

In this case, don't forget to target yourself with the mill! :science:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

suicidesteve posted:

In this case, don't forget to target yourself with the mill! :science:

:psyboom:

OssiansFolly posted:

I just recommended the Altar of Dementia to my buddy who made an EDH deck using Marchesa. It really is a good card that works hard for how simple it is.

It's a really great card that I think didn't see much play because of how difficult it was to find, I looked for months at shops and through trade binders back in 2012 before I broke down and bought one online. I'm still waiting on my foil copy to get to me because the Pucatrader who is sending it to me is located in the northernmost reaches of Canada.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I saw a Shattergang goblin EDH deck back on page 1, but does anyone have a Rakdos goblins deck kicking around? I heard talk of making one with Grenzo as commander, was wondering if anyone had one made that I could look at to start getting ideas. Although the Shattergang one giving access to green as well is prety tits too.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Here's my Melek Deck

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/melak/

1 Melek, Izzet Paragon

1 Braingeyser
1 Brainstorm
1 Bribery
1 Cackling Counterpart
1 Capsize
1 Chaos Warp
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Clone
1 Command Tower
1 Copy Artifact
1 Counterspell
1 Counterflux
1 Cryptic Command
1 Crystal Ball
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Deep Analysis
1 Echo Mage
1 Embargo
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Forbid
1 Future Sight
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Goblin Electromancer
1 Grapeshot
1 Guttersnipe
1 Gush
1 Halimar Depths
1 Hive Mind
1 High Tide
1 Incendiary Command
1 Insurrection
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Izzet Signet
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Mana Flare
1 Memory Jar
1 Mirari
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Nin, the Pain Artist
1 Nivix Guildmage
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Opal Palace
1 Palinchron
1 Pact of Negation
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Possibility Storm
1 Prosperity
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Sol Ring
1 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Arcane Melee
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
1 Temple of the False God
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Time Spiral
1 Turnabout
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Windfall
12 Island
12 Mountain
1 Temporal Fissure
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Mind's Desire
1 Prophetic Bolt
1 Stroke of Genius

Overall, I think I would like to have a Scroll Rack or a Sensei's DT on it, I just don't have them (I hate Top in MTGO). I'd also like an Omniscience and Enter the Infinite, but we will see if I ever bother with those.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So I haven't messed with my Commander deck in several years and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend updates for it as well as fine tuning. Its a WB Teysa, Orzhov Scion synergy list mostly intended for causal multiplayer, but it still has a few degenerate combos.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-06-14-teysa-orzhov-scion/

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Anniversary posted:

So I haven't messed with my Commander deck in several years and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend updates for it as well as fine tuning. Its a WB Teysa, Orzhov Scion synergy list mostly intended for causal multiplayer, but it still has a few degenerate combos.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-06-14-teysa-orzhov-scion/

Swords to Plowshares or Path of Exile can replace Unmake and are relatively cheap with how often they have been reprinted. There are some BW lands I didn't see: Godless Shrine, Temple of Silence, Fetid Heath, Caves of Koilos, or Tainted Field. There is also Darkest Hour, making all creatures black.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 27, 2014

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm running an Oloro deck and I have 8 spots for counterspells. I can't afford things like Cryptic Command, Remand, or Force of Will. I do want to get Spell Crumple and/or Hinder but my LGS doesn't have any in stock. These are what I have:
Counterspell
Countersquall
Dissipate
Dromar's Charm
Render Silent
Delay
Arcane Denial
Dream Fracture

I play multiplayer EDH with 4-6 people usually and a lot of the win conditions in the decks aren't about combat damage. Time Stop was in my deck but rarely did I have the mana to cast it when I needed it. I was thinking about Mana Leak for early game but I'm straying away from them having an out. Other ideas are: Dismiss, Deprive, and Rewind.

These aren't strictly counterspells but act similarly that I also have in the deck: Dawn Charm and Redirect.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 28, 2014

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm not a big man of Mana Leak in the format, because it's only useful in very specific circumstances and will be a dead draw pretty often.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
How about Forbid? Sometimes it's the only counterspell I even run in an EDH deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Commandeer, Spelljack, Lapse of Certainty

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Desertion is pretty great.

I also have a soft spot for perplex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I also run Forbid in both my blue EDH decks. Dismiss, Rewind, and Muddle the Mixture are also in both but if you don't have many 2 CMC cards to grab with Muddle you can probably skip it. One of them also has Dissolve which you probably have a copy of if you've played any Theros block Limited.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 28, 2014