Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night Blade posted:

Wouldn't you get soft banned for doing stuff like that?

Yeah but I'm not gonna grind just for fun gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty certain there's no such thing as a soft ban in this, or any kind of ban for that matter.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3280056870376392430/E40C32749855C4638B10079365E6C3FCD500C7CF/

Does anyone know what the name of the pants are that the other guy is wearing in this screenshot?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Blood Stained Skirt, go to the area with all the exploding hollows on the way to the gutter on NG+.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Another has more sunlight spears than you can get in five games.

Wait, so do spells get used up and not replenished at bonfires? so you only get like 30 casts of Soul Arrow before you have to find more? because that's some bull-rear end poo poo if true, I've only played pure melee so far.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They replenish at bonfires.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Dog posted:

Wait, so do spells get used up and not replenished at bonfires? so you only get like 30 casts of Soul Arrow before you have to find more? because that's some bull-rear end poo poo if true, I've only played pure melee so far.

It's the same system from the first, where you can stack copies of spells to get more. They're replenished at bonfires, or eating one of the herb consumables.

He means that you're guaranteed to find spells in certain locations one each playthrough, and the guy had more than you'd find running the game three times.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

No, you can only get one copy of Sunlight Spear, because it's a covenant reward, so you're limited to 3-6 casts depending on your attunement.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Night Blade posted:

Wouldn't you get soft banned for doing stuff like that?

This is an unsubstantiated rumor and is absolutely not happening.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sector_corrector posted:

Royal Rat Authority was... sort of fun. The first four rats were easy with whatever the hell thunderstorm is called, and I died once when I tried to fight him like Sif. I then realized that you could probably run under his legs for a reason, and after that it was cake.

Going under his legs is how you fight Sif.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You are, however, limited to one copy of Sunlight Spear per character. You can get extra casts for spells by increasing the ATN stat but if someone is just throwing that miracle around they aren't playing fair.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Night Blade posted:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3280056870376392430/E40C32749855C4638B10079365E6C3FCD500C7CF/

Does anyone know what the name of the pants are that the other guy is wearing in this screenshot?

Bone King Skirt, sold by Titchy Gren

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rudoku posted:

Going under his legs is how you fight Sif.

I always strafed to his blind side, baited him and then attacked when I had an opportunity. Staying anywhere in front of RRA seems like a bad idea because of the bullshit hitboxes on his swipes, although I only fought him twice, so I may be wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You are, however, limited to one copy of Sunlight Spear per character. You can get extra casts for spells by increasing the ATN stat but if someone is just throwing that miracle around they aren't playing fair.

Oh right, it's a covenant reward. Well that makes it even more annoying then. But yeah, he was chucking them left and right. Between that and the chain climaxing it was a pretty tedious time tonight!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stupid question. Why are little pig mole things more beefy than undead Vikings, or even Skeletons? :psyduck: On that note, silly soapstone message, that's not a boss ahead :haw: The like, 20 bloostains did make me nervous though. I have no idea how those bloodstains in the ground floor got there because it's leash was crazy short, it lost interest and turned it's back on me even when I was hovering two feet behind it past the top of the stairs leading to ground floor.

Haven't exactly been going at this like I did the first game due to timing and attention span. I think the hardest part of that big tree giant was the fact my nonexistent I Frames (was at less than 30% equip load at the time too, for roll distance) meant I found myself unable to dodgeroll through his club, like I could last second dodgeroll through everything else up until that point. Even at full hollowing with half health,and unupgraded Vigor he couldn't oneshot me though, which brought it from "What the gently caress is this poo poo?" to just kind of annoying when I didn't pull off just bumrushing right at them competently.

Giant arm, I can dodge through the edge. Club made out of such an arm, I am suddenly incompetent :downs:

Lock on felt completely worthless and more of a detriment than a help, regardless of body lock or leg lock. Though I do appreciate the fact they took the time to give it multiple lockon points, there was something wrong with either it or me because even with leg locks my longsword swings would just barely avoid hitting, compared to practically closing my eyes, spinning the stick, and my swings hitting anyway. Though for some reason I feel like my depth perception is slightly off with lockon view angles in this game even against the undead soldiers, I dunno what's up with my new glasses eyeballs. Depth perception in viddy games has always been an arch nemesis for me.

Build advice question. Is there a particular order of priority for stat building, trying for a Quality build with an emphasis on "Survive my inevitable fuckups while hollow"? I have conflicting interests in liking (lighter, but still 100% physical) Tower shields and Claymores, but also wanting to use a longbow, faster weapons, and not rolling too terrible. So far I gunned for 20 STR to use that Bastard Sword I got dropped, 16 DEX for later Longbow use, and dumped my 10k souls from tree jerk into Vigor to break 1k HP. I did at least look up that gains softcaps are around 20 for a lot of things.

I was considering trying for some Adaptability first, but putting all those souls into it from my base of 5 still wouldn't have even given me one more second of I Frames according to the wiki :v:

EDIT: Oh cool, Black Leather armor set is in this. Why do I have such a softspot for wearing that whole set?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 28, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'd like a little help here for fashion purposes.

Basically, I think the Key to the Embedded needs a little extra style.

To facilitate this, I need ~20 of the coolest-looking moves in the game. I need 2 R1s, 2 R2s, 2 Powerstanced L1s, 2 Powerstanced L2s, and 6 or so two-handed attacks. Also a rolling attack and a backstep followup.

I'd ask for a backstab but we all know the only one cool enough is the spear one.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Fashion Souls.

Invading in Aldia's Keep on NG (I wonder what people are doing in there at 3m SM). I call him "The Custodian".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

Invading in Aldia's Keep on NG (I wonder what people are doing in there at 3m SM). I call him "The Custodian".

Farming dragon bones or Monastery stuff, most likely.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Something about being a phantom invisibly makes you incredibly bad at the game. I can kill a row of bosses by myself with no trouble, then put my summon sign down next to one of them and lose 3 times in a row. I don't know what the difference is besides bosses getting a lot more defense and health with phantoms than they used to, but co-op definitely isn't an easy win against every single boss anymore.

I do worse just by having other people. I chalk it up to their presence making the enemy AI react differently/oddly, and most phantoms being poo poo enough that they take forever to kill enemies.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Genocyber posted:

I do worse just by having other people. I chalk it up to their presence making the enemy AI react differently/oddly, and most phantoms being poo poo enough that they take forever to kill enemies.

I think they probably mostly tested boss AI with phantoms. Solo you can lock almost* all the single bosses and the gargoyles into patterns pretty easily. Also, poo poo phantom checking in.

* I'd bet all of them but I don't know how for some.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What is it with hosts in Forest of Fallen Giants taking a great big tour of eeeeeeverything in the area

motherfucker I have limited reserves here <:mad:>

After fifteen minutes of that poo poo I fell off the elevator down to The Last Giant.

eh, humanity is overrated anyway.

Getting my longsword+casting action on though :woop: shields feel useless in this game so it's good to actually have multiple attack styles available now.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

What is it with hosts in Forest of Fallen Giants taking a great big tour of eeeeeeverything in the area

motherfucker I have limited reserves here <:mad:>

After fifteen minutes of that poo poo I fell off the elevator down to The Last Giant.

eh, humanity is overrated anyway.

Limited reserves of what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Then just put your sign outside the boss door. What did you expect people to do i the very first area? Unless you're in it for the long haul, always drop your sign outside the boss door. Whatever happens, it'll be faster.

Also everything you have gets restored to full when you complete a coop session successfully so

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Fashion Souls tonight!

A Tale of Two Sisters, Featuring Slutty Jane and her lil' sis Felony!

Slutty Jane, @ 838, first PC character:

Felony, just started this week, 4th PC character:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I get a little sad when I drop my sign at a bonfire and the host beelines for the boss. Why are you summoning at the bonfire if you already know your way through the area and can beeline to the boss? I'm here to help newbies explore every nook and cranny of the map and show them all the secrets :mad:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I get a little sad when I drop my sign at a bonfire and the host beelines for the boss. Why are you summoning at the bonfire if you already know your way through the area and can beeline to the boss? I'm here to help newbies explore every nook and cranny of the map and show them all the secrets :mad:

Because nobody put a sign at the fog door? I've put a sign down for the Dragonrider (:effort:) and had the host drag me through the level to kill the Old Dragonslayer several times. It happens.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Fashion Souls tonight!

Amazing stuff here.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I was aware you could cut off Duke's Dear Freja's heads.

I was not aware they remained afterwards and could be kicked around.

I tried to take it back to the top with me but it fell off somewhere and now I can't find it :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So just a quick question, since I bought Dark Souls2 a couple days ago. Haven't played it yet, but there there mods needed to improve the Dark Souls 2 experience like there was for the Dark Souls 1 PC port?

EDIT: vv Thanks!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So just a quick question, since I bought Dark Souls2 a couple days ago. Haven't played it yet, but there there mods needed to improve the Dark Souls 2 experience like there was for the Dark Souls 1 PC port?

No.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
I made a small video for shits and giggles, about farming the Giant Lord as a caster.
The bonfire is already at lvl 33, and I am SL270. You also get a gently caress ton of Twinkling Titanites doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSx0zmo-lzQ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So I was aware you could cut off Duke's Dear Freja's heads.

I was not aware they remained afterwards and could be kicked around.

I tried to take it back to the top with me but it fell off somewhere and now I can't find it :(

I managed to keep it all the way to wherever the headless dude attacks you. All the soapstone messages were about "head ahead" and "head required" and I was all glad I brought the head and didn't have to backtrack. Thought that was a cool puzzle and mechanic until I got attacked out of nowhere.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Amazing stuff here.

You're being sarcastic right?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there enemies and/or bosses that are particularly vulnerable to slash or thrust damage in the way that big armored guys are much more vulnerable to strike but highly resist other physical types? There are certainly times where if I don't have strike damage I can tell my damage output suffers, but I never feel like it's noticeably weaker against anything.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

TheNightReaver posted:

I made a small video for shits and giggles, about farming the Giant Lord as a caster.
The bonfire is already at lvl 33, and I am SL270. You also get a gently caress ton of Twinkling Titanites doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSx0zmo-lzQ

I want to point out that using an ascetic on the bonfire that controls the Giant Lord also controls the other memories. So it respawns everything in them as well. Not only do you get an ascetic in the giant lord's memory (making this repeatable without outside farming), you also get silky stones across from Drummond, a soul vessel on the ground floor of the memory with Benhart, along with a bunch of souls of the hero/great hero scattered in all of them. So it's a lot of materials if you're willing to risk it. Oh, and this isn't even mentioning the two twinkling underneath the giant memory you walk into right from the fourth bonfire.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Jaaam posted:

You're being sarcastic right?

Look, Bubba. If you don't like my crude pictures, that's cool. Whatever. I had fun making them, and I thought some people here might find some small amusement in them. But calling out a third party for just giving a quick compliment is pretty lovely. You could have just ignored it.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I was recently playing around with armor and weapon sets, and noticed some peculiarities in the Lindelt Cleric set.

So, between the Archdrake Mace, Shield, Chime, Staff, and the Slumbering Dragon Shield, they all have a Dragon/Wing theme going on. The Helix Halberd is found in Amana, and fits the same aesthetics of the Lindelt Set-but the description says it's from Olaphis.

Crazy Theory: I think Olaphis used to be were Lindelt is now.

So supposedly Straid was lured to the Bastille and turned to stone by his own countrymen, and since he never took an apprentice, a great deal of his spells were lost. However, it never claims all of them were lost, it's possible Straid had left behind spell information when his countrymen trapped him. But what spell was taken/looted from him?

I believe it was Homing Soul Arrow.

Now, the Lindelt sorcerers in Amana know how to cast Homing Soul Arrow, despite the fact that it was "lost" with Straid, but Lindelt is pretty hush-hush about how it gets or learns magic.

In short, this means: If Straid never hosed up and got stoned in the Bastille, the Amana mages wouldn't be able to snipe you.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Look, Bubba. If you don't like my crude pictures, that's cool. Whatever. I had fun making them, and I thought some people here might find some small amusement in them. But calling out a third party for just giving a quick compliment is pretty lovely. You could have just ignored it.

it's both creepy as gently caress and stupid so grats i guess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

THANK YOU STRANGER

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Fashion Souls tonight!

that's....a thing alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Fashion Souls tonight!

I don't get it.

Also I just got this game and ran up against a Pursuer-shaped roadblock. That screenshot above gave me a quick chuckle. :3: Oh Dark Souls.