Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My wife and I were talking on the way out to dinner and she told me about a vampire book she read in high school. The only detail she can remember is that a mother (vampire I assume) used her daughters tampons as tea bags. That's the most :wtf: thing my wife has ever said to me, so obviously I have to know the ame of this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Ornamented Death posted:

My wife and I were talking on the way out to dinner and she told me about a vampire book she read in high school. The only detail she can remember is that a mother (vampire I assume) used her daughters tampons as tea bags. That's the most :wtf: thing my wife has ever said to me, so obviously I have to know the ame of this book.

Innocence by Jane Mendelsohn?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/228334.Innocence

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

gatz posted:

Fantasy novel, the protagonist was purchasing or considering purchasing some sort of cursed ring or amulet from a merchant in the beginning of the novel. Had a unique writing style.
Wouldn't be Jack Vance's Eyes of the Overworld, would it? Here's the beginning:

quote:

ON THE HEIGHTS above the river Xzan, at the site of certain ancient ruins, Iucounu the Laughing Magician had built a manse to his private taste: an eccentric structure of steep gables, balconies, sky-walks, cupolas, together with three spiral green glass towers through which the red sunlight shone in twisted glints and peculiar colors.

Behind the manse and across the valley, low hills rolled away like dunes to the limit of vision. The sun projected shifting crescents of black shadow; otherwise the hills were unmarked, empty, solitary. The Xzan, rising in the Old Forest to the east of Almery, passed below, then three leagues to the west made junction with the Scaum. Here was Azenomei, a town old beyond memory, notable now only for its fair, which attracted folk from all the region. At Azenomei Fair Cugel had established a booth for the sale of talismans.

Cugel was a man of many capabilities, with a disposition at once flexible and pertinacious. He was long of leg, deft of hand, light of finger, soft of tongue. His hair was the blackest of black fur, growing low down his forehead, coving sharply back above his eyebrows. His darting eye, long inquisitive nose and droll mouth gave his somewhat lean and bony face an expression of vivacity, candor, and affability. He had known many vicissitudes, gaining therefrom a suppleness, a fine discretion, a mastery of both bravado and stealth. Coming into the possession of an ancient lead coffin--after discarding the contents--he had formed a number of leaden lozenges. These, stamped with appropriate seals and runes, he offered for sale at the Azenomei Fair.

Unfortunately for Cugel, not twenty paces from his booth a certain Fianosther had established a larger booth with articles of greater variety and more obvious efficacy, so that whenever Cugel halted a passerby to enlarge upon the merits of his merchandise, the passerby would like as not display an article purchased from Fianosther and go his way.

On the third day of the fair Cugel had disposed of only four periapts, at prices barely above the cost of the lead itself, while Fianosther was hard put to serve all his customers. Hoarse from bawling futile inducements, Cugel closed down his booth and approached Fianosther's place of trade in order to inspect the mode of construction and the fastenings at the door.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This may be the most generic description of a book I've ever posted. Don't know why it sprang to mind.

A children's book with watercolor art about a horse that drew a carriage in New York City and was fed with sugar cubes. More than 25 years old.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I just watched Elysium and I cannot help but remember a book that largely concerned stuff much like the movie - Earth be hosed, there's this space station that is not hosed, people like it. Only it wasn't really all that much like Elysium. I remember things like the space station having a weird set of politics where it was supposed to remove folks that ~wanted power~ and all, and a makeshift quarantine in a hydroponics section, but not much else. Help?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Darwinism posted:

I just watched Elysium and I cannot help but remember a book that largely concerned stuff much like the movie - Earth be hosed, there's this space station that is not hosed, people like it. Only it wasn't really all that much like Elysium. I remember things like the space station having a weird set of politics where it was supposed to remove folks that ~wanted power~ and all, and a makeshift quarantine in a hydroponics section, but not much else. Help?

Nothing definite with those details, but Bob Shaw's The Shadow of Heaven comes to mind (and I was reminded of it a bit by watching Elysium, though I what I can remember of the plot it's a lot weirder). Also possible would be John Barnes' Orbital Resonance. The "no one in power who wants power" stuff was used several times by Arthur C. Clark in his novels and stories but I can't think of one that matches the other details.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I saw Elysium and immediately thought of the Ringworld series, but that's because-- you know-- ring world.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
When I was a child, I remember I had a picture book that I absolutely loved. It was about mice who had a TV. If I remember correctly, their TV was broken, so they made their own TV shows. I remember one page having a bunch of little squares with clips of the different TV shows the mice produced. A lot of them were jokes on American TV or stereotypes of mice. Like a game show where the mice could win cheese.

It's been bugging me for a while now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DrNewton posted:

When I was a child, I remember I had a picture book that I absolutely loved. It was about mice who had a TV. If I remember correctly, their TV was broken, so they made their own TV shows. I remember one page having a bunch of little squares with clips of the different TV shows the mice produced. A lot of them were jokes on American TV or stereotypes of mice. Like a game show where the mice could win cheese.

It's been bugging me for a while now.

Could it be Mouse TV?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I remember reading what I think must have been a young adult science fiction book in the late nineties about a group of immortal young people who were able to move through different dimensions. It was first person and the main character was a nineteenth-century cockney, and they all had to work out why they had this ability and how they could go back to their homes. I think there was a character with an elephant trunk for an arm or something similarly weird, and it ended with the main character sacrificing himself for the others. Any ideas?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Crashbee posted:

I remember reading what I think must have been a young adult science fiction book in the late nineties about a group of immortal young people who were able to move through different dimensions. It was first person and the main character was a nineteenth-century cockney, and they all had to work out why they had this ability and how they could go back to their homes. I think there was a character with an elephant trunk for an arm or something similarly weird, and it ended with the main character sacrificing himself for the others. Any ideas?
The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Runcible Cat posted:

The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones.

Thank you, that's it.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I'm probably on some sort of government watch list after trying to find this book: it was a fiction book based on bioterror. I remember the book cover had... bees on it? There was a killer using seven (twelve? maybe?) different biothreats as the book went on, and I remember there being a scene in an airport where people he infected began seeing like, floaties in their eyes before they all died gruesome deaths. Just trying to remember what book this was because I can't remember if it was awesome or just really.. out there.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Here's one no one is going to get. It was a book read to me when I was very young. We never finished and I remember liking it.

In one scene this girl has a spell cast on her so she can breath under water. Like a protective bubble that covered her body. However the spell would only work as long as she remained under water. By accident her shoulders go above the surface and so that part of the bubble dissipates. Causing the bubble to fill with water and she nearly drowns.

She might have been a princess and she might have had a frog as a friend/helper.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
There was a YA or possibly even juvenile novel I read when I was that age, so it would've been published no later than the very late 90's. In it, a young British kid has some sort of mental breakdown and somehow swaps minds with/takes on the personality of a soldier fighting, possibly in the Gulf War. There's a lot of conversation between the kid's older brother and a psychologist who's treating the kid about what's actually happening.

Googling is at best giving me some reading recommendations about child soldiers and/or the psychology of war, and all sorts of helpful websites about the telepathic supersoldiers the government doesn't want me to know about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TorpedoFish posted:

There was a YA or possibly even juvenile novel I read when I was that age, so it would've been published no later than the very late 90's. In it, a young British kid has some sort of mental breakdown and somehow swaps minds with/takes on the personality of a soldier fighting, possibly in the Gulf War. There's a lot of conversation between the kid's older brother and a psychologist who's treating the kid about what's actually happening.

Conrad's War?

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

ToxicFrog posted:

Conrad's War?
Nope. But it sounds similar, the idea of 'leaking' into another time.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been trying to remember a book I read about ten years ago. I think it was set in a small American rural town during the depression and had some magical realism elements. It involved a very poor family that struggled just to get enough food to eat. The mother was already dead and part of the book had the father getting really sick and there were scenes where he had to keep hacking phlegm into a basin while he was laid up in bed. I think the magical realism came into play with some mystical lady that healed him with magic.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

gatz posted:

Fantasy novel, the protagonist was purchasing or considering purchasing some sort of cursed ring or amulet from a merchant in the beginning of the novel. Had a unique writing style.

I hate myself for even contributing this, but it wouldn't be On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, would it? IIRC it starts with haggling with a merchant over buying a "Deathstone" ring that warns you if you're in imminent danger of dying.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

There are a few books I read as a child which have been unhelpfully nagging the back of my mind.

One of the ones that might be easier to find was one set far in the future where all the humans had to escape earth because of pollution and named all of their children after animals, since they'd had to leave all the animals behind. A girl named hummingbird escapes the planet (somehow) and finds a mysterious planet made entirely of rubbish where the animals that had been abandoned were all living, by maintaining this recycled planet created out of rubbish/plastic.

It's probably some young adult novel, or children's book.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Years ago, a friend told me about a fantasy series he loved. I grabbed the first book at a library and made it about 3 chapters in before I got too busy and then promptly forgot all about it.

I now remember that the prologue was the saddest story I'd ever read and would love to pick this book up again.

I have no idea the what the title was and I only have a few bits of fact with which to search for it. Google has turned nothing up and local libraries here are a joke.

If you, the fine learn'd people of this forum could assist me, that would be grand.

My clues:
The title was one word and was musical in nature. It was also the name of the main character I think. She is a woman.
Something like Serenade or Sonnet or Lullaby. Maybe it was an instrument? I honestly don't even know what it started with but I think it was 'S'.

The first chapter was about 2 men, also main characters. One was large and had dozens of weapons on his back, the other was thin, wore a cloak and shot razor discs out of his sleeves. One of them was silent, but I forget who.

The prologue was about a man at a desk, some sort of god I think, plucking a man from one time period and placing him in another. After getting some work and going to a festival, he falls in love and has sex with a women, who I believe is the ancestor of the main character. He is then put back in his own time and it is sad and horrid and got me very invested in a character that the whole book is, for some reason, not totally about.

I think the main character woman using music as a weapon? Or has a magical instrument?

That's all I have to go on. Help me, Book Barn, you are my only hope.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Got to be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody:_Child_of_Blood

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

You. Are. My. Savior.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Bait and switch thing that looked like fantasy but was actually sci-fi: Normal primitive hunter from a world with active deities runs into one of them, Lady Sunlight, and immediately falls in love. Later he runs into the "Trickster" of the gods and asks to meet her again, and gets involved in a big conflict because...

The Immortals are actually super-advanced humans who use their sci-fi supertech to play gods over this primitive lost colony world and some of them hate each other.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Bait and switch thing that looked like fantasy but was actually sci-fi: Normal primitive hunter from a world with active deities runs into one of them, Lady Sunlight, and immediately falls in love. Later he runs into the "Trickster" of the gods and asks to meet her again, and gets involved in a big conflict because...

The Immortals are actually super-advanced humans who use their sci-fi supertech to play gods over this primitive lost colony world and some of them hate each other.

That sounds *a lot* like Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Unfortunately it's not, meant to specify that in the post. Lords of Light more than likely inspired it, though. They were very specifically sort of... Map Fantasy gods, with names like Lady Sunlight, So and So the Dark, etc. Chapters had little vignettes from the myths of the planet as headers. It's killing me that I don't remember the name.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

unseenlibrarian posted:

Unfortunately it's not, meant to specify that in the post. Lords of Light more than likely inspired it, though. They were very specifically sort of... Map Fantasy gods, with names like Lady Sunlight, So and So the Dark, etc. Chapters had little vignettes from the myths of the planet as headers. It's killing me that I don't remember the name.

I think it is Denner's Wreck (reprinted as Among the Powers) by Lawrence Watt-Evans

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It's a book about a population on a hostile world where the plant life is hostile or maybe it's on Earth and an alien plant life is slowly consuming everything. I think the protagonist is female and the title is something like Changa/Chungu.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

WastedJoker posted:

It's a book about a population on a hostile world where the plant life is hostile or maybe it's on Earth and an alien plant life is slowly consuming everything. I think the protagonist is female and the title is something like Changa/Chungu.

That second part sounds like David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Against_the_Chtorr

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

WastedJoker posted:

Ian McDonald's Chaga series?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Zola posted:

I think it is Denner's Wreck (reprinted as Among the Powers) by Lawrence Watt-Evans

That's the one! Thanks.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Trying to remember the name of the sci-fi author who wrote a short story about a man who is transported/wakes up in this seemingly timeless neighborhood where he befriends an old woman from across the street, and there was also something about the milkman. I remember there being an environmentalist bent to the short stories of his that I read.

Vorik fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 14, 2014

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Ohh my gosh, yes it is! I feel silly now for not remembering the most basic title of a book. xD

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I read this one too, I remember that the super-advanced people had some kind of space folding technology that they had at the end of their esophagus so they could feast constantly and never get full.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
Ok, it's a story about a diary some people found in Antarctica. The writer is an orphan, raised by his grandmother, he goes to Africa and does some peacekeeping with a couple of warring tribes, one which has big noses and the other big ears. He eventually finds out that his mother had him after she was raped by a Nazi. In the end he tracks down his Nazi dad in Antarctica and kills him.

The cover had a picture of an ice pick on it I think.

I hope I didn't imagine this book, it sounds rather strange writing it down like that. I loaned it to someone and they never returned it, I'd really like to read it again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I read this one too, I remember that the super-advanced people had some kind of space folding technology that they had at the end of their esophagus so they could feast constantly and never get full.

You think that'd be good, but here's a cautionary tale.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I would be really impressed if anyone could identify these:

1) Science fiction story set on Jupiter (maybe on one of its moons?), where it is always clouded and raining, but once every long, long while, every few generations, the sun comes out for just a minute or two before the weather recedes back to invariable gloom. The story has this young girl get locked in a closet over some petty quarrel during the time when the sun comes out. After enjoying the sunshine, the students remember she's still locked in the closet.

2) Story about a snake-oil salesmen, but I think he sells different "needful things" that turn out to be bad or defective.
One of the instances is he sells this lovely glue to a woman who builds these shelves on which to place her prized glass animal figurines. The shelves collapse, and she finds among the wreckage the shattered head of her favorite glass unicorn.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The first is All Summer in a Day which IIRC is Bradbury

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is the second not Needful Things by Stephen King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wheatpuppy posted:

The first is All Summer in a Day which IIRC is Bradbury

And it was set on Venus.

Here's a TV adaptation: