Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't think I'll see a better film this year. It's so goddamn good.

Right? It starts out as a funny, almost vignette-y kind of trip movie and by the very end it just thematically snaps into place. It's intense and amazing. Gleeson and O'Dowd own so much in that last scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Transformers: Family of Mark Wahlberg is a decent movie; hopefully that dude who plays the Hot Blonde Teen's dad stays on. And on a completely unrelated note, is there any reason that I shouldn't watch the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3? It seems like if all it does is *add* scenes, it shouldn't hurt.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Krangdar posted:

The fact that it's not called Trans4mers is only acceptable because there's still a chance the next one (!) will be called Trans5mers.
I feel that might wear thin by the time we get to Trans9ers, but I guess Transf4mers could be read as Transamers and Transsmers wouldn't sell to well either.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and recommending him movies. I mentioned that The Grey was a great, if bleak, movie. His response was that it was "an okay monster movie with wolves" which kind of seems like he's missing the point by a country mile. He also thought the ending of Apocalypse Now! sucked and it apparently ruined the whole movie for him, and he's never seen a Bond movie aside from the Pierce Brosnan ones because "they're all slow". I don't understand anything anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MoaM posted:

And on a completely unrelated note, is there any reason that I shouldn't watch the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3? It seems like if all it does is *add* scenes, it shouldn't hurt.

Thats the only version that should ever be watched. It adds a ton to the movie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MoaM posted:

Transformers: Family of Mark Wahlberg is a decent movie; hopefully that dude who plays the Hot Blonde Teen's dad stays on. And on a completely unrelated note, is there any reason that I shouldn't watch the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3? It seems like if all it does is *add* scenes, it shouldn't hurt.

Why do you assume that adding scenes won't hurt? Is it basically more is always better?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

therattle posted:

Why do you assume that adding scenes won't hurt? Is it basically more is always better?

Because it'd be extremely difficult to make Alien 3 worse.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

therattle posted:

Yea...something like that but not as briefly put! I realise that you can edit a scene into a movie which could feasibly change the whole thing, but that usually doesn't happen...in my movie-watching experience (Yes, I've seen the Blade Runners).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

See, this kinda stuff...doesn't really bother me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Man, you almost wish that Rosemary's Baby (a movie about drugging and raping a young woman) is worse than it is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Well yeah, we're from America.

It's probably just because you're a goony goon.

I've recorded about a dozen episodes of a podcast where me and a friend or two discuss episodes of RL Stine's the Haunting Hour and no one's ever heard it because my friend has yet to edit or do anything with them.

CPL make a podcast with me.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

Going against what I just said, this is a movie that is better than you probably think it'll will be and you should see it when it comes out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdu0H-jTx1M

I'm definitely never going to see that, but man I never noticed how much forehead Dane DeHaan is packing. Stay away from side parts, homie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

I'm definitely never going to see that, but man I never noticed how much forehead Dane DeHaan is packing. Stay away from side parts, homie.

He looks like a loving alien.

Alhazred posted:

Man, you almost wish that Rosemary's Baby (a movie about drugging and raping a young woman) is worse than it is.

This is funny. Why?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The new Transformers is a bloated nauseating mess and Kelsey Grammer was the worst choice possible.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The new Transformers is a bloated nauseating mess and Kelsey Grammer was the worst choice possible.

Because if you're setting out to make a terrible movie, don't accidentally cast a great actor who spins crap into gold.

Actually, the movie really hosed up, because they did this like four or five times.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like if one of Woody Allen's best movies was a Lolita adaptation.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Dub posted:

Because if you're setting out to make a terrible movie, don't accidentally cast a great actor who spins crap into gold.

Actually, the movie really hosed up, because they did this like four or five times.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me five times, maybe there's something I'm not getting"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

Grammer is not a great actor by any stretch. The movie would have been poo poo with or without him but he really stuck out in a bad way.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Grammer is not a great actor by any stretch. The movie would have been poo poo with or without him but he really stuck out in a bad way.

How can you say that when Stanley Tucci is standing right next to him basically screaming his lungs out?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's like if one of Woody Allen's best movies was a Lolita adaptation.

One of his most acclaimed films is about his character dating a 17-year-old so you're not far off.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Grammer was great in Boss. It's a shame the show wasn't, because he shows what he can do with a meaty part. Transformers 4 has a myriad of problems much bigger than Grammer though (I wanted to get in there before I get told I'm watching it 'wrong' and it's secretly a masterpiece.) My favourite was when one male character unironically tells another that he has to stay alive because someone has to look after his daughter. The fact that she might be able to look after herself is never addressed.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey so I reviewed the Rover like I said I would. And I'm inordinately proud of my very dumb title.

I didn't get the ref so I googled it and it's the name of an episode of the Ferris Bueller TV show directed by Bill Bixby and featuring Jennifer Aniston as Jeannie Bueller.

Anyway as soon as I saw the trailer for The Rover I sorta knew it wasn't gonna be my type of movie. Those portent-laden shots of Pearce with his back to the camera, or the one where he's sitting at the bar and outside the window the truck skids past, signaled a kind of dry, empty bombast to me. And I think I ended up feeling the film was too schematic, the characters are these broad archetypes that the movie was afraid to play around with lest it puncture the fatalistic atmosphere. At the same time I keep thinking back on the film, and I half want to see the dang thing again. That might just be because of the ending, which prompts you to think through the film and reevaluate the character's actions (I'm increasingly tired of stories where character motivation is withheld until the end - instead of creating an intoxicating air of mystery or whatever I'm just staring at this angry guy and not knowing what he's thinking, and subsequently I'm disconnecting from the movie - but I did appreciate the movie's title being a sick joke).

It's interesting you liked Pattinson more than Pearce. I didn't mind Pattinson but I thought he laid it on pretty thick. Pearce did as well but I guess I found him more convincing (not that either of these characters remind you of real people), or at least more captivating. I was talking about it with HUNDU and he said R-Patt and Scoot McNairy (love this guy) should've switched roles, which I agree with.

"I’m trying to come up with a Guy Pearce performance I like less and I really can’t." <-- Lockout takes the cake for me. I know some people found it entertaining but I see Pearce as way too tightassed to play a credible Plisskin type. The effect on me was like watching a Poochiefication of Plissken.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This all sounds like the kind of poo poo I don't think I could make myself give a good goddamn about.

Anyway, what do I watch tonight: Battle of Algiers or Swimming With Sharks?

IIRC Swimming With Sharks is kind of bad and juvenile. I don't think it's aged nearly as well as The Player.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DrVenkman posted:

Transformers 4 has a myriad of problems much bigger than Grammer though (I wanted to get in there before I get told I'm watching it 'wrong' and it's secretly a masterpiece.) My favourite was when one male character unironically tells another that he has to stay alive because someone has to look after his daughter. The fact that she might be able to look after herself is never addressed.

If the past 3 movies taught me anything it was that you don't have to agree with what the characters do or say, and the movie isn't necessarily asking you to. This applies even to films that are not "secret masterpieces".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lord Krangdar posted:

If the past 3 movies taught me anything it was that you don't have to agree with what the characters do or say, and the movie isn't necessarily asking you to. This applies even to films that are not "secret masterpieces".

I agree. But 'Men are Men, Women are to be saved' is such a recurring theme in Bay's work that I can't not see it. He's politically odious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I have never seen a Transformers film. I did sort of half-watch one on a bus once, but I was asleep through most of it. All I remember is an extended joke in which the mom is really, really, really okay about her son masturbating.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DrVenkman posted:

I agree. But 'Men are Men, Women are to be saved' is such a recurring theme in Bay's work that I can't not see it. He's politically odious.

I'm not sure that's true. Just look at Maggie Madsen's role in the first Transformers.

Regardless, what makes you think Bay is expressing that view, as opposed to just his characters doing so (consistently)?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DNS posted:

I didn't get the ref so I googled it and it's the name of an episode of the Ferris Bueller TV show directed by Bill Bixby and featuring Jennifer Aniston as Jeannie Bueller.

You're probably overthinking this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is funny. Why?

If it was a bad movie you wouldn't bee in the position where you're praising a rapist for making a good movie about drugging and raping girls.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not like Rosemary's Baby is pro-drugging and raping a girl or anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

If it was a bad movie you wouldn't bee in the position where you're praising a rapist for making a good movie about drugging and raping girls.

He wasn't a rapist when he made it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

axleblaze posted:

Yeah the idea that a film can't portray a thing, even if it's in a negative light is weird and problematic.

Skwirl posted:

Oh he probably was...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

axleblaze posted:

It's still uncomfortable to watch. Otherwise I really like the little details in the movie, like when one of the cult members tries to rub away the mark that Rosemary's knife makes when she drops it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

And wouldn't be for ten years, unless we're assuming it was a serial thing and everything else was hidden.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This might have been brought up before but The Machine is the best DTV film I've seen. Understated, cerebral, and beatifically shot:

It has a paltry 6.1 on IMDB

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yaws posted:

This might have been brought up before but The Machine is the best DTV film I've seen. Understated, cerebral, and beatifically shot:

It has a paltry 6.1 on IMDB

It's Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and/or Universal Soldier: Regeneration but that one's pretty good too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I kept wondering if that was actually Kelsey Grammer. Like the first time he appeared on screen, I thought "Wait, is that Kelsey Grammer?" And then I'd think "No way, it can't be. This performance can't be coming from Kelsey Grammer." But then later on I thought "Well this looks more like Kelsey Grammer than anyone else, so it's gotta be him." And then the credits rolled, and sure enough, it was indeed him.

He did not do a good job. Not at all.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I briefly forgot I lived in England but then a steam train just went past the living room.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If/Then is not a super great musical, but it sure is a fantastic Idina Menzel Delivery System. She makes singing her bitch, and god bless her for it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

echoplex posted:

I briefly forgot I lived in England but then a steam train just went past the living room.

All those young wizards are finally home for summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I wasn't actually suggesting that's the ref, I just thought it was funny it was the 2nd google result.

• Locked thread