Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aces High posted:

naaaah he's going to be fun to watch. Gotta say that so far I am impressed with how quickly they turned Bolin's character around. He still has bits of the "I'm a celebrity now" that he picked up throughout Season 2 but thankfully he lost the arrogance it brought him, guess that's what happens when your boss tries to assassinate the president. It's also nice to see him just being his normal goofball self and not trying to impress anyone or try to hit on every girl he sees. Not that I didn't enjoy him acting that way in Season 1 but there he seemed only interested in Korra and once that didn't work out he just became the animal guy, which was fine and seems to have returned here :3:

The Lampshade they throw on this is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Man, I really enjoyed those three episodes and I'm glad to see the general opinion in here is that things are looking up. I'm definitely optimistic and looking forward to more.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Aces High posted:

Although there is one thing I'm kind of confused about, didn't Asami lose most of Future Industries last season? Or does she now own that and Varrick's company due to him being arrested? It's not a huge nitpick but I just couldn't remember if that had been resolved at the end of last season or if they're just ignoring it and moving along.
Same, but I decided to ignore the plot hole (?) since we got an airship out of it

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I'm relieved that they stepped back from the abyss that was the eska-Bolin relationship although I expect one last good catfight after Opul gets established.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else think Asami's flying yacht looks terrible as a CGI render? I mean, I was willing to let things like the Mechatanks and some of the RCPD airships slide in the past two seasons because it was only used sparingly (I know that some animators like Titmouse use 3D when an object like a car or plane or flying sphinx is particularly difficult to animate hand-drawn the way the producer wants), but every single far-away shot of the airship--hell, even the Earth Kingdom airships in episode 3--is/are all 3D all the time and they are just so blocky and featureless and incongruous with the beautiful, lovingly drawn backgrounds. It doesn't seem to matter if it's moving or sitting, it's just WHAM here's your grey filigreed monstrosity, please await scene change.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

First Bass posted:

Does anyone else think Asami's flying yacht looks terrible as a CGI render? I mean, I was willing to let things like the Mechatanks and some of the RCPD airships slide in the past two seasons because it was only used sparingly (I know that some animators like Titmouse use 3D when an object like a car or plane or flying sphinx is particularly difficult to animate hand-drawn the way the producer wants), but every single far-away shot of the airship--hell, even the Earth Kingdom airships in episode 3--is/are all 3D all the time and they are just so blocky and featureless and incongruous with the beautiful, lovingly drawn backgrounds. It doesn't seem to matter if it's moving or sitting, it's just WHAM here's your grey filigreed monstrosity, please await scene change.

I concur. But it's not as annoying as Studio Pierrot's lovely animation last season (if they couldn't get Mir, I wonder if they could have hired Sunrise instead of Pierrot then).

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I'm curious if this season's theme is going to be family and one's place in a family because it's got me thinking about Kai. Sure he could just be some orphan but considering he's 13/14(?) and that's as long as the villains have been locked up, I wonder if he's going to turn out to be Zaheer and his girlfriend's kid.

I really hope this season doesn't fall apart. These episodes have been really strong and I'm loving the random humour:

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Miss Nomer posted:

I'm curious if this season's theme is going to be family and one's place in a family because it's got me thinking about Kai. Sure he could just be some orphan but considering he's 13/14(?) and that's as long as the villains have been locked up, I wonder if he's going to turn out to be Zaheer and his girlfriend's kid.

That would be so, so, bad. I can't imagine lazier writing. I hope this doesn't happen.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Miss Nomer posted:

I absolutely loved that Korra and Asami didn't fight at all over Mako and just laughed about it and bonded. It's refreshing to see.

It's almost like...they're growing up as characters.

My biggest peeve with the last 2 seasons was how the characters acted like teenagers (which they are) but they devolved into the worst teenager stereotypes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AshB posted:

That would be so, so, bad. I can't imagine lazier writing. I hope this doesn't happen.

Reminder that last season, when this exact post was made about Unalaq early on, we literally got just that.

In more positive news, I enjoyed all three of these episodes. Characters are...better. Korra was bratty at the start but I'm willing to attribute that little "I beat Vaatu, so I could do whatever I wanted" outburst to stress on her part. The villains look decent so far, but then again so did Amon early on. The airbending plotline bothers me because I can't help but shake the feeling that the people rejecting Tenzin and co. are being portrayed as wrong for not abandoning everything for a culture they have no connection to or heritage from. But we'll see, I'm more than willing to see where they go with it because, at the very least, it's interesting.

I know the above sounds a bit negative, but I did enjoy the episodes, and I hope they keep it up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jorghnassen posted:

I concur. But it's not as annoying as Studio Pierrot's lovely animation last season (if they couldn't get Mir, I wonder if they could have hired Sunrise instead of Pierrot then).
Speaking of good/bad artwork, I thought the background art of looking over Bolin/Mako's shoulders when they arrived at the lower ring looked really good. It was intentionally stylized in a cool way but also had some layering 3D effects.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

The airbending plotline bothers me because I can't help but shake the feeling that the people rejecting Tenzin and co. are being portrayed as wrong for not abandoning everything for a culture they have no connection to or heritage from.

I got the opposite message. The show exaggerated the things Tenzin advertised to make it seem like nobody with common sense would want to give up their whole life for that stuff. Nobody gives a poo poo about tattoos and shaving your head as selling points.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AshB posted:

I got the opposite message. The show exaggerated the things Tenzin advertised to make it seem like nobody with common sense would want to give up their whole life for that stuff. Nobody gives a poo poo about tattoos and shaving your head as selling points.

This basically. With the exception of the basement dwelling goon (and even then not really), you can't expect people to drop everything in their lives just to partake in a culture they have no connection to. I think the audience knows that, and perhaps from Tenzin's perspective what he's doing is great and meaningful, and we understand that as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AshB posted:

Hey Tenzin offered sky bison pets! what sort of idiots wouldn't abandon their family and friends for random cult thing in a secound if they could get their own loving sky bison pet.

Totally unrealistic. :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tenzin is setting himself up for a big disappointment. He's not going to succeed in reviving the air nomads as the one and only airbending culture.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Bongo Bill posted:

Tenzin is setting himself up for a big disappointment. He's not going to succeed in reviving the air nomads as the one and only airbending culture.

He's doing that Tenzin thing where he's being incredibly rigid about his beliefs despite being an Airbender.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm enjoying the season so far; plot seems interesting, the humor's working and leaving 20s Gangster City behind was just about the best thing they could've done. Also enjoying goons here making GBS threads up the thread with complaints about how goons are going to poo poo up the thread sometime in the future.

Speaking of which:

:wtc:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

seravid posted:

I'm enjoying the season so far; plot seems interesting, the humor's working and leaving 20s Gangster City behind was just about the best thing they could've done. Also enjoying goons here making GBS threads up the thread with complaints about how goons are going to poo poo up the thread sometime in the future.

Speaking of which:

:wtc:

Wait, what was wrong with this, exactly? :confused:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So why does Zuko have a dragon now

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Hmm... It's almost as though he's being resistant to... change.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The lame answer is that I think there's something about this in the comics.

The cool answer is: wouldn't you?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The lame answer is that I think there's something about this in the comics.

Having read the comics... I don't think there is.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Bongo Bill posted:

I honestly kept waiting for the catch where it turns out the new airbenders' airbending is not permanent or something.

Solid first couple of episodes that I really enjoyed, much better than the start of season 2. Several funny moments (Bolin's speech to Mako about potentially finding their family in Ba Sing Se and ending with a deadpan "then she dies", Zuko's awkward elevator chat (glad to see he's still the same person) about wanting to kill the Avatar, and the 22yo basement dweller whose mom really wants him gone were all hilarious) and interesting story setups and beautiful animations. The villain squad looks amazing (especially the armless waterbender - who was it that cut off her arms? Was it to try to stop her from bending?) and I'm excited for the potential in the fights against Korra and friends.

I also really liked the friendships in these episodes as they were sorely lacking throughout most of season 2. Mako and Bolin were true brothers again and I loved Korra and Asami bonding. I didn't find either Korra/Mako or Asami/Mako particularly interesting so I hope we can avoid that particular subplot for as long as possible (but undoubtedly they'll touch on that again at some point).

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
If Varrick is coming back, do we get to see Zhu Li do the thing? :allears:

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
These 3 episodes were actually really good. It helps that they required less set up for this plot line since it's a direct continuation from the previous one. I'm feeling optimistic about this season, but I also liked the last half of book 2 so I had less reservations going in than others.

I'm liking where they're going with Korra's character. She's always going to be brash, stubborn, and hot headed, but she's really making an effort to listen and try for some patience. She and Tenzin already have a nice continuation from their growth in the last half of book 2 where they realized they couldn't be Aang, and that they should instead be their own people. Now they're in a situation where they can't rely on Aang's wisdom or experience and will have to step up on their own. I saw someone online mention that ATLA was about a person learning to be the chosen one whereas LoK is about the chosen one learning to be a person. Comparing the ATLA finale and the finale of Korra book 2, I can definitely see this. Aang goes into his final battle without the Avatar State and struggles with upholding his own morals and those of his dead culture. He is then gifted a chosen-one power that he can use against Ozai. Korra goes into the fight against Unaloq fully powered and is actually winning before her power is taken from her. She has to look inward and use her own inner strength (amplified by spiritual mumbojumbo) to defeat Unaloq and get the Avatar spirit back. I'm going to guess that choosing to reconnect with Raava is meant to be the moment that Korra truly becomes the Avatar.

What I'm really surprised about is how much I'm enjoying both Mako and Bolin this time around. It's nice to see them actually act as brothers, and meeting their family was sweet. Mako actually seems to work better as an ex than as Korra or Asami's love interest; the dynamic is certainly more interesting. I'm already digging the Korra-Asami dynamic; it's closer to what I thought Korra and Mako were going to have when the show first started and Mako was still the "cool under fire" guy.

The villains look awesome, so hopefully they actually live up to their potential.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I'm guessing it hatched from that golden egg relic he and Aang found at the Sun Warrior temple?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Do we have the air time schedule up to episode 7? I need more.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

Do we have the air time schedule up to episode 7? I need more.
August 1st.

Yeah, looks like you sorta hosed yourself there, bud.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

When do these normally go up on Nick.com? I missed them last night and was hoping to watch them before I went out tonight. :(

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

August 1st.

Yeah, looks like you sorta hosed yourself there, bud.

Or I cut down on all the time I would have wasted on speculation and hype. My theories and understanding of the dialectic (hah) hasn't failed me yet this season.

Ps. Could people stop feigning naivety? I'm tired of plugging my ears when people ask about Nick.com and how they can see the episodes they missed. I respect your loyalty/law abiding nature, but you're forcing me to scream "lalalalala" whenever I feel the urge to "help" you.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 28, 2014

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

While I'm definitely more excited for this book than I was for the last one, I still have some misgivings. I think the decision with Bumi was a weird one, and deciding to center the plot around the return of airbenders instead of the massive spirits-in-the-real-world plot hook at the end of last season seems a little odd, though of course there's still time to bring that in. Still, this has far more cool fight scenes than the second season did at this point, and that's all that matters to me.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Valentin posted:

While I'm definitely more excited for this book than I was for the last one, I still have some misgivings. I think the decision with Bumi was a weird one, and deciding to center the plot around the return of airbenders instead of the massive spirits-in-the-real-world plot hook at the end of last season seems a little odd, though of course there's still time to bring that in. Still, this has far more cool fight scenes than the second season did at this point, and that's all that matters to me.

Most places don't seem affected by the spirits, which is odd. ( And I haven't seen spirit pets in a while, although the Krew might fall back to somewhere in the spirit world if things get dire enough.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

i hate meatloaf posted:

I'm guessing it hatched from that golden egg relic he and Aang found at the Sun Warrior temple?

What, so he's Danaerys Targaryen? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really liked that! I have a few minor nitpicks (starting the main plot of the whole season with Bumi's airbending before we're reintroduced to the rest of the setting is a really weird pacing decision, they don't really do all that much with the spirits, the Dai Li plot feels kinda tired after the original series, especially because it primarily involves Kai, who we just met and I didn't particularly care for), but on the whole I thought that was a pretty good opening. The villains particularly were really interesting and visually dynamic in a way that rivals some of the best from TLA, even, though not seeing them in the third episode was a bit of a let-down. I thought the water tentacles seemed really dumb when I first saw that picture but in motion it's just fantastic. Even Mako had some good moments when he was alone with Bolin. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment but I definitely enjoyed that.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I wish the goon went with them, he was way better than Kai

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Xun posted:

All that character does is sit in his basement. There's no tv in his basement; that guy probably stares at the walls every day while he self medicates the old fashion way . Kwai has spunk and allows a romantic subplot without teen angst. (Joyfully dooming us to at least one Tenzin filler cplot)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xun posted:

I disagree with the idea that he's better than Kai, but I will make two arguments on why he should have gone along:

1: Seriously what kind of goon passes up the opportunity to join an ancient order of mystic martial arts practitioners? It would make sense for him to be obsessed with bad radio dramas and dime novels about adventure and be continuously disappointed by what reality turns out to be
2: If he did go along he would constantly perv out on Korra and Asami, being a walking parody of a certain type of Avatar fan. Though I can't really imagine how that would go over with Nickelodeon's S&P so I can understand why they wouldn't pursue that angle.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

DarklyDreaming posted:

I disagree with the idea that he's better than Kai, but I will make two arguments on why he should have gone along:

1: Seriously what kind of goon passes up the opportunity to join an ancient order of mystic martial arts practitioners? It would make sense for him to be obsessed with bad radio dramas and dime novels about adventure and be continuously disappointed by what reality turns out to be
2: If he did go along he would constantly perv out on Korra and Asami, being a walking parody of a certain type of Avatar fan. Though I can't really imagine how that would go over with Nickelodeon's S&P so I can understand why they wouldn't pursue that angle.

So he'd be a disinterested version of drooling guy? Even on paper that sounds like poo poo.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Fifty Three posted:

When do these normally go up on Nick.com? I missed them last night and was hoping to watch them before I went out tonight. :(

Same question. Sincei canceled cable, totally missed the premiere.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The idea of a goony shut-in learning to open up and change for the better wouldn't be a bad character arc, but he'd have to be written more charitably to begin with, not entirely as a broad gag.

I feel like season 3 is continuing the habit of manufacturing problems by writing characters as dumber than they should be. After the initial string of failed recruits, the solution should have been for Tenzin to revise his expectations of people, not just his sales pitch. It'd be a lot easier and more obvious to ask new airbenders to, say, attend an airbending convention in Republic City and go from there, than it would be to ask them to instantly uproot their lives and become monks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The idea of a goony shut-in learning to open up and change for the better wouldn't be a bad character arc, but he'd have to be written more charitably to begin with, not entirely as a broad gag.

I feel like season 3 is continuing the habit of manufacturing problems by writing characters as dumber than they should be. After the initial string of failed recruits, the solution should have been for Tenzin to revise his expectations of people, not just his sales pitch. It'd be a lot easier and more obvious to ask new airbenders to, say, attend an airbending convention in Republic City and go from there, than it would be to ask them to instantly uproot their lives and become monks.

Tenzin was literally raised his entire life with this expectation and idea foisted upon him as the centerpiece of his entire life. He is not the best at thinking outside of that.

• Locked thread