Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogstile posted:

Having dedicated haulers so your workers can concentrate is a godsend. Just don't get low on haulers and your woodcutters can deforest and entire area before getting tired. If they had to drag the wood back each time they wouldn't even get halfway.

I always just have one woodcutter with no other labors enabled, and he always wins his one man war against nature

And I always end up using way more wood than the forest can provide, and hallow out every soil layer to satisfy my wood hunger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, did you assholes notice this yet? The big rendering plugin has been on github for a while now. The current version number is at v2.19, but the multi-z visibility and selective column widths aren't done yet.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my wood-cutters don't haul anything. Putting the furnace "downstream" of the primary seems like it would mean that I'd have to wait for someone to move something to primary and *then* someone to decide to haul something to the furnace one. I guess that only matters if they both get really low, in which case I have more to deal with.

The method you describe is exactly how I do stockpiles in my fortresses. There are big, unorganized stockpiles for stone, wood, and so on (because I am too lazy to make minecarts for quantum stockpiles), and there are small stockpiles surrounding each workshop which will only receive the stuff useful for them. I set up links between Stone Stockpile and the Mason Shop Stockpile, for example, and have excess haulers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

:siren: The first multi-Z-level renderer is out!

It's unconfigurable, basic, displays only one extra z-level below the current one and crashes at startup with DFHack r5, but it's a start!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey check this out. Multi-layer Hell à la Bronzestabbed.

Also, the five layers of front lawn all in one (confusing) shot:

Dang look at that majestic-rear end mountain.

e: Okay and by the sounds of it he's cracked the secret of separate map/menu rendering. the end is nigh

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 28, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It's happening

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Dwarf Fortress with 3D graphics.

Holy living shitfucks.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Haven't tried it myself but from looking at those screens it seems like there should be a bit more of a contrast between the current layer and the first one below. Or maybe it's just because I browse on my cheap monitor.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, it could certainly use tweaking. Customization has been promised, though.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
canepazzo posted a screenshot with a tileset a few pages back, it looked better (easier to tell the difference between levels):

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Dwarf Fortress with 3D graphics.

Holy living shitfucks.

Now make it work with Oculus Rift.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kennel posted:

Or just make it work with typical 3d displays a la tridef :v:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Just make DF work.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there a reverse-burrow option? I just want to forbid my people from going outside during a seige, but i don't want to keep them from mining and other stuff inside the base.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kennel posted:

Already does. Welcome to Nthusim HMD, splits everything into two nicely. Haven't found a program that doesn't work with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is there a reverse-burrow option? I just want to forbid my people from going outside during a seige, but i don't want to keep them from mining and other stuff inside the base.

Just make a burrow from the top of your fortress to the bottom of the map.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just make a burrow from the top of your fortress to the bottom of the map.

Do burrows automatically expand when mining or does that just count the un-mined walls as already in the burrow?

Thanks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Do burrows automatically expand when mining or does that just count the un-mined walls as already in the burrow?

Thanks.

You know, that's a good question. I never noticed because I usually have a caste of unimportant dwarves with all non-quality-enabling skills turned on, including mining, who don't get assigned to burrows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's a DFHack plugin to specifically expand burrows as their edge tiles get mined, so I'd wager no, not by default.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

By default no, but if you define the burrow past the edges of the cave walls, that burrow definition will stick (though it won't show, I believe), and dwarves will continue to mine all of the burrow that's been defined.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

By default no, but if you define the burrow past the edges of the cave walls, that burrow definition will stick (though it won't show, I believe), and dwarves will continue to mine all of the burrow that's been defined.

OK,I'll just define literally everything belowground as a burrow until I hit a cavern.

Thanks for the help.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to save a stockpile config with dfhack for use in a later game/session? That would make me feel better about all the work I just put into tuning things.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't know of any way to do precisely that, but this command might help you anyway:

DFHack manual posted:

copystock

Copies the parameters of the currently highlighted stockpile to the custom stockpile settings and switches to custom stockpile placement mode, effectively allowing you to copy/paste stockpiles easily.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#copystock

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apoffys posted:

I don't know of any way to do precisely that, but this command might help you anyway:

Yeah, I use copystock a fair bit, especially for moving stockpiles around and extending them, but the high-quality-stuff-to-be-encrusted and refuse-for-craftsdwarf ones are annoying to set up the first time.

So I'm working on a script to serialize them and restore them from external files. Serialization mostly working, you can check out https://gist.github.com/shaver/e9eb444b25076740bd67 and tell me how dumb my approach is. (Restore will largely be eval() on the save file, I hope.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New masterwork update

Meph posted:

you can copy the new hack and data folders and get the multi-z viewing even in running forts. Hope you have fun with it

holy poo poo the multi level rendering looks good but my fps is 12 now

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 29, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Why is Scamtank always insulting us?

Also, devlog you miserable worms:

quote:

It was an army truck for the last while, and a food truck today. Just about everything that could go wrong with invasions in dwarf mode did, but I think it is sorted out now. Even the grizzly bears the elves ride come from actual populations now, so make every axe-chop and drowning count and you won't have to deal with that particular site's denizens for a good long while. I put in hopefully-good-enough init file caps for the burgeoning number of seeds, with some periodic handling, and I think I sorted out all of the mess that was happening with brewing jobs (which weren't working, or were producing non-specific seeds, or whatever else). I'm going to do some overdue optimizations tomorrow, and then we'll be titrating in some final bug fixes until the release suddenly appears.

There is apparently a less coherent and perhaps more morally bankrupt (I don't remember) recording of after-interview sound from the Red Pages Podcast (Extrasode 2).

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
talkin to toady about trainstrucks

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop

GreyPowerVan posted:

I make a trap hallway, with locked doors. Set a burrow on a big open space like your dining hall or something like that and set your alert so all your civilians flee to it. Whenever you run into trouble hit the alert and then lock the doors on the trap hallway. Once you've got everyone inside and the doors locked kill the alert and go back to what you were doing. This works great for early game, but later on your gonna run into door busters so use locked doors in conjunction with raising drawbridges. You don't have to set the door on the trap hallway, you can set it wherever there's a single bottleneck in your fort, but I like to set it on the trap hallway because it gives me the chance to run them through the gauntlet before I lock them away from their siege dreams of conquest on my fort.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Why is Scamtank always insulting us?

because as a man it's the only way the patriarchy allows me to love you all so

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Apoffys posted:

Yeah, you choose what races are playable in the Masterwork GUI ("Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.exe") before generating a world, then you pick a race when embarking if I recall correctly.

Also, you don't need to install DFHack on top of Masterwork, it's included. Masterwork is a complete package, you don't need to add anything to it.

The newest version of MW is 5.0.7, which you can find here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

Edit: Also there are manuals (I don't know how good they are, but they exist) for all the races. They're in the Masterwork folder as .html-files.

I have the .exe but I'm on linux, and using the linux download which included all these windows .exes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Satone posted:

I make a trap hallway, with locked doors. Set a burrow on a big open space like your dining hall or something like that and set your alert so all your civilians flee to it. Whenever you run into trouble hit the alert and then lock the doors on the trap hallway. Once you've got everyone inside and the doors locked kill the alert and go back to what you were doing. This works great for early game, but later on your gonna run into door busters so use locked doors in conjunction with raising drawbridges. You don't have to set the door on the trap hallway, you can set it wherever there's a single bottleneck in your fort, but I like to set it on the trap hallway because it gives me the chance to run them through the gauntlet before I lock them away from their siege dreams of conquest on my fort.

Yeah, I got to where i do that now.

The long trap hallway was a great source of caged frogmen and goblins, which i hooked up to a lever in a small pit and let my marksdwarves train on them.

reading posted:

I have the .exe but I'm on linux, and using the linux download which included all these windows .exes.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8639 Try this one.

If you need help with Masterwork, make a post on their forum section on the official Dwarf Fortress forums. Meph reads basically every single post there.

EDIT: Toady basically forcing people to memory hack to do things is stupid, as I've said before.

This multi-zlevel renderer and all these tilesets could be so much easier if he would implement an API for graphics. We would have fully 3d DF by now.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 29, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, my save/restore stockpile settings thing seems to work now. In case that's useful to someone else as well:

save-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/e9eb444b25076740bd67
load-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/69356ef7d8bfac4452bf

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, my save/restore stockpile settings thing seems to work now. In case that's useful to someone else as well:

save-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/e9eb444b25076740bd67
load-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/69356ef7d8bfac4452bf

That's interesting... Do you know if quickfort can Query and set up stockpiles?

My latest fort was completely aboveground and just got ended by a zombie seige at the same time as a goblin mage ambush --- he set them on fire and a fiery leatherwing bat corpse flew into my fort and set the grass on fire.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreyPowerVan posted:

That's interesting... Do you know if quickfort can Query and set up stockpiles?

It would take a fair bit of work for it to do so, so I'd be surprised. If it will let you name them, though, then you could load a dfhack script after to configure them. (Otherwise you have to rely on numbering, which would be a bit fiddly.)

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sounds like he's dedicated to early July for real this time even if there are still known issues.

He's going to ditch the old fortress mode and just release a newer version of DF with only adventure mode. Unwilling to give up any of the adventure mode changes to keep fortress mode working.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I need to just do big-boy traps now that I have iron.

All the good traps involve lava. Lava + dwarves that fall asleep at the switch lever.

On a related note, has anyone had luck creating a "Danger Room" to train militia dwarves and of course, train a bunch of doctors? I tried making one with weapon traps the other night. I was too tired to realize there was no means of getting the dwarves to activate the traps and then attempt to flee from them.

dogstile posted:

Having dedicated haulers so your workers can concentrate is a godsend. Just don't get low on haulers and your woodcutters can deforest and entire area before getting tired. If they had to drag the wood back each time they wouldn't even get halfway.

Does anyone have a recommended scheme for hauling? I always turn off stone and wood hauling for miners, and wood hauling for lumberjacks. That way I can always be getting important work done. I never have recover wounded for essential doctors (but yes for expendable nurses) after reading someone's suggestion that maybe sending important medical dwarves into danger would limit the viability of the entire population. Right now most of my hauling decisions are orchestrated around each dwarf's specialty and the seasonal trade caravans. I don't even need anything from the caravans, but they are a foolproof means to get rid of masterwork items as well as acquire absent resources (clay in my current fort).

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
For anyone interested, the old AHK program I made for mouse control still works fine. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102563.0

Guess I'll probably work on it again soon seeing as the new update is around the corner. Maybe just scrap it and rewrite for dfhack, who knows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

On a related note, has anyone had luck creating a "Danger Room" to train militia dwarves and of course, train a bunch of doctors? I tried making one with weapon traps the other night. I was too tired to realize there was no means of getting the dwarves to activate the traps and then attempt to flee from them.

Lock in the prospective soldiers and then go to town on the activation lever. Training weapons are your best bet if you aren't looking to instantly kill most of your recruits.

For medical training, consider a room where your men are constantly run over by wooden minecarts. Breaks arms and legs really good.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Moridin920 posted:

New masterwork update

Saw this this weekend and got excited and downloaded.

Then before my first game started it crashed on world gen and I reminded myself why I hate masterwork. So much for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So Putnam made this off-hand comment in the twbt thread:

quote:

Holy crap you're using items.other for organizational purposes? That makes things way cooler. You can give separate tiles to dead playable races specifically, display recently dropped items differently and show melt designated items differently. You can even differentiate between murdered corpses and non-murdered corpses, as well as anything edible by kobolds (BONECARN) or whatever.

:circlefap:

Mifki's build server also has a "NextGen" branch now, with a version number starting with 4. Only an OSX version so far, but...