Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That black garden combo is just disgusting. I've actually also been trying out gimmicks and I found a vastly better alternative to Secret Pass to the Treasures for attacking directly.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shooting_Star_Bow_-_Ceal :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Xoidanor posted:

That black garden combo is just disgusting. I've actually also been trying out gimmicks and I found a vastly better alternative to Secret Pass to the Treasures for attacking directly.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shooting_Star_Bow_-_Ceal :haw:

I used to play a Cyber Blader lock using Ceal.

http://www.twitch.tv/officialyugiohchannel Also the European WCQ is happening right now. Waiting for Round 8

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 28, 2014

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've discovered that Cardfight Vanguard has some very pretty card art. What's the best way to get started on that game?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

AfroSquirrel posted:

I've discovered that Cardfight Vanguard has some very pretty card art. What's the best way to get started on that game?

To learn the rules: Watch the anime. First few episodes give you the basics, and then they ease you into new rules. Find an archetype you like, and there are starter decks for a lot of them, but if the one you want to try isn't in one of those, odds are you can find a decent deck of them for relatively cheap on ebay or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As someone who watches the anime and kind of wants to play the card game, but happens to live in a poo poo third world country, is there any way to check if Vanguard cards are sold in my country? I've checked stores online, but none seem to sell them at all, I've found a few cards on MercadoLibre (our eBay), but nothing more, and no cards I particularly cared about (apparently people here just really like selling Link Joker, I think my country is Reversed)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Don't know if this should go here but the Zexal game for 3DS got its English release gimped bad: http://www.ygorganization.com/tcg-world-duel-carnival-news/

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There are trial decks available for Vanguard, and you can usually find them for fifteen bucks. I tend to go to Ideal 808, Cool Stuff Inc, or Potomac Distribution for my cards. However, I must warn you that the early trial decks were either poo poo or don't stand up these days, and the more modern trial decks...well, you're going to want to buy four of them, because there are cards that are only included as single copies in the trial deck that you really want to be running four of, and for most of the clans, by the time you got done buying them as singles, you may as well just buy another trial deck.

Once you've watched the first three episodes of the first season, you'll know how to play. How to play well is another thing. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zeether posted:

Don't know if this should go here but the Zexal game for 3DS got its English release gimped bad: http://www.ygorganization.com/tcg-world-duel-carnival-news/

Wow, Konami wants to kill the YGO license for videogames isn't it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Holy poo poo today's Vanguard episode. Holy poo poo. It's the first time in a long while (see: the entire Legion Mate arc) that I actually leave an episode surprised in a good way. I expected it to be just another boring episode: Naoki fights Cera, loses (as usual), Judgement, next ep. Instead Naoki showed why he's the best character, managed to actually survive the entire episode, and we had more manly awesomeness from him. Even Miwa got to look cool too, even if in a hilarious way! Maybe we'll get good writing for once, and Naoki will even beat Cera (though then there's the question as to why they set up Kamui as Cera's rival before...)

The only thing I cared about in this ep before watching it was if we were getting the new opening and ending, and we did, and holy poo poo are they incredible. The new opening is just INTENSE. That shading work, the constant movement, Miwa's Legion! Confirmed Prominence Core as Gaillard's new trump card too (though this was really easy to see coming anyways, it's likely a Crossride of Percival just like Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Buster is one of Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Dragon). If I wasn't really poor and without any sort of credit or debit card, my first avatar ever in SA would be either Miwa grinning from the very beginning of the opening or Kai charging towards the new Link Joker Legion. Probably my favourite opening animation, even if the song is nowhere as good as Break your spell or Believe in my existance.

And the ending is just really depressing. I like how Aichi-centric it is, but the situation is really sad and the ending just hammers the point home. Really well done, one of the few Vanguard endings I can say I honestly like, both in animation and, to a lesser extent, the song itself.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wow, Konami wants to kill the YGO license for videogames isn't it?

They half-assed Tag Force 5 too and that ended up doing badly in sales. Konami is really bad at treating franchises not called Metal Gear well here I guess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Konami as a whole is doing really lovely, like a lot of Japanese game developers are right now. It's why they've shifted their focus from video games to health/fitness stuff, and why Metal Gear Solid V is the only major title coming out from them in the near future. It's a sad thing to see, really. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kojima runs his studio completely independent from the rest of Konami's structure. It's why Metal Gear's the only Konami video game franchise that isn't falling victim to their unbelievable stupidity right now.

I mean y'make jokes about how dumb Konami is and how much Capcom hates its fans but it's a little scary wondering what's gonna happen to stuff like Megaman and Castlevania and the Yu-Gi-Oh games with these guys at the helm.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The saddest thing to me about Castlevania is that we'll never get the final battle/1999 game that Igarashi was trying to lead up to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Make Julius Belmont and Dracula cards in the next Yu-Gi-Oh set! Problem solved! :v:

seriously though where the hell's Eclesia 2.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Any hopes of that died when Igarashi got pushed aside in favor of that Lords of Shadow nonsense.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Zeether posted:

How much you want to bet that they're going to charge the cut content as paid DLC? I can honestly see them pulling that type of cashgrab.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dexie posted:

Konami as a whole is doing really lovely, like a lot of Japanese game developers are right now. It's why they've shifted their focus from video games to health/fitness stuff, and why Metal Gear Solid V is the only major title coming out from them in the near future. It's a sad thing to see, really. :(

Doing? Being. How does a company come to the decision to remove that much content? It must take so much effort to do! The only similar thing I can think of is Capcom gutting half the postgame from Mega Man Battle Network 6, and even that was kind of justified cause it was a crossover with Boktai 3, which wasn't getting released outside Japan.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

planetarial posted:

How much you want to bet that they're going to charge the cut content as paid DLC? I can honestly see them pulling that type of cashgrab.

they just didn't want to translate it obviously. The game was released severely late, is like 3 sets behind now. They just wanted to get it out the door fast and make a quick buck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The European World Champion Qualifiers for Yu-Gi-Oh just ended. The final match was Mermails against Lightsworn.

As much I utterly hate the Lightsworn deck and wish it would just die, I can't say I'm happy about Mermails winning. I hope they don't perform this well at Worlds.

Dabir posted:

Doing? Being. How does a company come to the decision to remove that much content? It must take so much effort to do! The only similar thing I can think of is Capcom gutting half the postgame from Mega Man Battle Network 6, and even that was kind of justified cause it was a crossover with Boktai 3, which wasn't getting released outside Japan.
It was probably cheaper for them to just remove it and not bother translating it. Not that I'm in support of this decision, mind you. I'm not happy about it either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

The European World Champion Qualifiers for Yu-Gi-Oh just ended. The final match was Mermails against Lightsworn.

As much I utterly hate the Lightsworn deck and wish it would just die, I can't say I'm happy about Mermails winning. I hope they don't perform this well at Worlds.

Lightsworns are almost as degenerate now as they were when Honest and Charge was at 3.

"Oh so you drew Charge of the Light Brigade and Solar Recharge on turn 1? GG" :shepicide:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I utterly loathe from Lightsworns is that loving Judgement Dragon. rear end in a top hat :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The only thing I utterly loathe from Lightsworns is that loving Judgement Dragon. rear end in a top hat :argh:

I honestly do not understand why that thing is unlimited. Massive attack, stupid easy summoning requirements, and an complete field nuke that has a tiny cost? I just don't get it.

Edit: Felice can gently caress off too, just for the record.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yugioh4RealMen is at it again with the most ridiculous Dark Magician deck I've ever seen. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjEAq_qXCk

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I love that he's using all this old-school stuff that no one in their right mind would try to play.

That comeback against the Shadoll deck. :stare:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dexie posted:

I love that he's using all this old-school stuff that no one in their right mind would try to play.

That comeback against the Shadoll deck. :stare:

I'm more surprised about there being a Dark Magician Exceed. drat have I been out of the game for a long time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo :stare:

I want to made that deck.

Rudoku posted:

I'm more surprised about there being a Dark Magician Exceed. drat have I been out of the game for a long time.

Was just released on the OCG on an anniversary pack, I doubt we will see it here this year though :(

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Same here, but of course it's OCG only, just like the DMG Xyz.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Y'know how Yugioh4realmen made his channel to post videos of him trolling Dragon Rulers with offbeat decks?

I want to do that, except for Shadolls. Look at how they just keep endlessly producing advantage in that video and he's just barely scraping by for most of the game. Those things piss me off so much and I dunno how Konami thought those were okay. The fact that their draw engine is a gross corrupted version of one of my favorite cards only makes it worse. :(

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Y'know how Yugioh4realmen made his channel to post videos of him trolling Dragon Rulers with offbeat decks?

I want to do that, except for Shadolls. Look at how they just keep endlessly producing advantage in that video and he's just barely scraping by for most of the game. Those things piss me off so much and I dunno how Konami thought those were okay. The fact that their draw engine is a gross corrupted version of one of my favorite cards only makes it worse. :(

He probably goes through like 20 something games just to get 1 or 2 he can use for the videos. Just play something because it is fun, and stop worrying about beating "evil" meta decks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zackcat posted:

Just play something because it is fun,

Yeah whenever I try to do this, Shadolls flip me over like a pancake and there's invariably a point where I have to spend five minutes watching them set and flip and draw and revive and I'm thinking "oh god, just kill me already". That's the point.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

VJeff posted:

Yeah whenever I try to do this, Shadolls flip me over like a pancake and there's invariably a point where I have to spend five minutes watching them set and flip and draw and revive and I'm thinking "oh god, just kill me already". That's the point.

I have this feeling but about Inzektors and Constellars.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

Oh, so just like Mermails, Rulers, Karakuri/Gadget, Madolche or any other over powered deck on its prime? Konami of Japan really sucks at designing archetypes, either they suck or they broken beyond belief. And people keeps bitching about Nobles being too balanced :cripes:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VJeff posted:

Two fantastic generic cards to main currently are Debunk and Breakthrough Skill. Also don't be afraid to swap your MST's/Dark Holes/Torrentials for 2 pairs of the fire and ice hands. Helps you keep card advantage in decks that has issues with it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

VJeff posted:

On the other hand, when you're the one giving your opponent the "kill me now" feeling, there's nothing like it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Every archetype that's fun is weak, and every archetype that's strong is boring as hell or just no fun to play against.
"Let's begin. I summon Constellar Pollux, Algiedi, Kaus. Modular level 5. Pleiades."

Meanwhile, I'm there with my Gustos/Ghostricks/etc. staring at the board, hoping maybe I can obfuscate the field long enough to get LIM off. At this point at my club's tournaments when I'm up against our resident Constellar or Inzektor player, I just scoop the match.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

I have this feeling but about Inzektors and Constellars.

Lightsworn is the only deck I feel this way about. Only because Lightsworn can't win fairly; it's either sack you hard or they brick hard and do nothing. You can't lose to LS and feel okay about it, ever.

Senerio posted:

Every archetype that's fun is weak, and every archetype that's strong is boring as hell or just no fun to play against.

I love Madolche, and Windups, have since their original releases. I played Wind-Ups for most of their time around. I still play it actually. I haven't played Madolche since Anjelly though, because even I think the deck got boring with it.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 30, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Senerio posted:

"Let's begin. I summon Constellar Pollux, Algiedi, Kaus. Modular level 5. Pleiades."

Meanwhile, I'm there with my Gustos/Ghostricks/etc. staring at the board, hoping maybe I can obfuscate the field long enough to get LIM off. At this point at my club's tournaments when I'm up against our resident Constellar or Inzektor player, I just scoop the match.

You are Yuya and they are the LDS jerkoff.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yugioh is a game with a fun core but unfortunately surrounded by years and years of bad design and stupid rulings.

I would love it if someone would make a game that was similar to Yugioh but not surrounded by so much crap. Until then, I'll just keep grinding it out with my low and mid tier decks.

(But gently caress Lightsworn, seriously)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here, watch me fix Lightsworn.

Judgment Dragon - Limited
Beckoning Light - Limited

WOW THAT WAS EASY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Here, watch me fix Lightsworn.

Judgment Dragon - Limited
Beckoning Light - Limited

WOW THAT WAS EASY

Limit Felice while you're at it, and I can live with that.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread