Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

OOTP question: I have Leonys Martin who's pretty good defensively. He's primarily played CF, but a slight smattering of LF/RF. Could he be a good defensive sub in LF/RF, or does OOTP not really translate CF guys to the corners well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

OOTP question: I have Leonys Martin who's pretty good defensively. He's primarily played CF, but a slight smattering of LF/RF. Could he be a good defensive sub in LF/RF, or does OOTP not really translate CF guys to the corners well?

This actually holds true for anyone playing at a position they haven't played a lot at:

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I offered to nerd it up on this earlier but they were happy with the short answer, but I'm going to do it now because this has come up a few times. For a tl;dr on converting a 3B to 2B skip to the bottom.

A player's rating at a position comes from a combination of various indiviual ratings. Every player has ratings (note: sometimes these ratings are just zero) at the following

Catcher Error
Catcher Arm

Infield Range
Infield Error
Infield Arm
Turn DP

Outfield Range
Outfield Error
Outfield Arm

They also have "experience" ratings at a position. These are hidden but if you go into the editor you can see them. So when the game says a player like Coco Crisp has a 75 rating at CF on the 20-80 scale (I can't remember if this is accurate but it's high), that's because he has a very high range, a very high error (in this case a high number means less errors), and a very high experience rating, but he's dinged a little bit because his arm is poor.

It's also worth noting that there are actually quite a few players who have experience at multiple positions but it just doesn't list them with a defensive rating there because the other factors that determine the rating at that position mean that he's SO BAD that he's not even worth a 20 on the scale. There's also players who have no rating at a position because they have zero experience, but once they get any at all their rating is suddenly in the 50s.

So in the case of converting a 3B to a 2B, a lot of 3B don't have good IF Range or Turn DP, which means that if you try to convert them to 2B it will be a disaster, because even with a full season of experience they still might not even register a 2B rating.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

So he should be good at everything but experience. Does that drop him from say, a 75/80 guy to a 65/80? Or 50/80? Or 40/80?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander posted:

So he should be good at everything but experience. Does that drop him from say, a 75/80 guy to a 65/80? Or 50/80? Or 40/80?

If he played right field regularly, but started with no experience there, then he'd probably make enough errors and misplays to make him below average there in my experience. That's even though he's probably really good in center and possibly pretty good in left.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Colorado Rockies take two relievers, Charlie Furbush and Nate Jones.

I hate you so, so much right now. Both Puntos were on my list. Furbush mostly for the name, admittedly, but :bahgawd:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I want a good bullpen. Not having an ace makes it a bit of a priority :|

On teh other hand I'm gonna gnash my teeth now that I've passed on a couple other puntos I eyeballed but couldn't pull the trigger on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WE'RE BACK GUYS!

Clock starts fresh tomorrow at 10 AM, Atlanta is on the clock! Houston can pick too!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Yeah, I've had my pick ready for over 2 days at this point. I ain't waiting until tomorrow to post it.

EDIT: Not trying to rag on anybody or anything, I'm just ready to get this show back on the road

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 26, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Yeah, I've had my pick ready for over 2 days at this point. I ain't waiting until tomorrow to post it.

That's fine, I just want to make sure people have time to react.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So I'm assuming I can select because Houston still has to select their last pick. Unfortunately IcePhoenix took my goddamn Punto that I had ready to pick for three goddamn days. :argh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

So I'm assuming I can select because Houston still has to select their last pick. Unfortunately IcePhoenix took my goddamn Punto that I had ready to pick for three goddamn days. :argh:

To be fair I've been waiting just as long to pick him too v:shobon:v

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Using the roots created by it's zombie owner, Seattle will also be drafting someone out of Japan, albeit someone with no MLB experience, that said... Seattle picks:

Seiichi Uchikawa, 1B/2B/OF, formerly of the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks.

not eligible, pick again

e: I found the thing

IcePhoenix posted:

Before people start getting clever after kensei's gambit: if a player has never played in the MLB I cannot "unretire" them and add them to the player pool. I'm also not going to unretire anyone who actually retired.

obviously playing in the minors makes them eligible as well, but this guy has not done either.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 27, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

not eligible, pick again

e: I found the thing

obviously playing in the minors makes them eligible as well, but this guy has not done either.

Boo :saddowns: When you told me anyone was available including Russell Wilson, I got creative. too bad cause his stats are pretty decent in the NPB. I'll redraft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Boo :saddowns: When you told me anyone was available including Russell Wilson, I got creative. too bad cause his stats are pretty decent in the NPB. I'll redraft.

Russell Wilson is in the game because he is technically part of the texas rangers minor league system.

You can't actually play him if you draft him though.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Russell Wilson is in the game because he is technically part of the texas rangers minor league system.

You can't actually play him if you draft him though.

gently caress, I was planning on drafting Wilson with like my 24th round pick for the ultimate gimmick pick.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

hey sorry that i havent been picking guys i completely forgot about this thing after the forums came back on

e: wow did i somehow not miss a pick? lmao

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Hey I'm gonna be out of the country for a week. Is there anyone that would like to pick for me while I'm gone?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

johnfw50 posted:

Hey I'm gonna be out of the country for a week. Is there anyone that would like to pick for me while I'm gone?

I've been following this pretty closely, so I'm happy to pick for you. My offer to the previous guy stands--if you have any of the Puntos I'm planning to pick on your list so they go before I take them, I promise to get you the next best guy.

Kidding. I'll play fair. PM me your stuff, and I'll get it done.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I don't have PMS. Could I email it?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

johnfw50 posted:

I don't have PMS. Could I email it?

REDACTED@REDACTED.COM

Edit: vvvv Do me a solid, and edit that out.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 27, 2014

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

E: no problem

Thanks a lot. I'll get it to you tomorrow

PASS THE MASH fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 27, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yo if my picks come up before like 3:00 CT today just skip me right away I won't make it in time

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Every pick that passes without a certain punto being picked makes me :wow:

I'm almost tempted to trade up to get him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Punto is probably actually terrible.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

There's one guy who I'm kind of surprised hasn't been taken yet, even though I know he'll probably be terrible in the game, and frankly, should be in real life too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

hey sorry that i havent been picking guys i completely forgot about this thing after the forums came back on

e: wow did i somehow not miss a pick? lmao

Apologizes for getting skipped.

Realizes he somehow hadn't gotten skipped.

Gets skipped.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

IcePhoenix posted:

Apologizes for getting skipped.

Realizes he somehow hadn't gotten skipped.

Gets skipped.
thats how i roll f*cker *devil_face.gif*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monicro posted:

Yo if my picks come up before like 3:00 CT today just skip me right away I won't make it in time

Boston, you're on the clock for two and then Milwaukee is up again.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I'm gonna be gone for the next...7, 8 hours with no wifi access, and I dunno who I want at this juncture, so if it gets to me just skip me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete I feel like you're just trolling me at this point.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I wanted Diekman. Mr. Cool rear end, you bastard!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Does OOTP give him credit for his velocity? He hit 100 a few times last night.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Monrico don't feel bad. I almost drafted Willie Ballgame yesterday since I knew I needed a utility guy but just couldn't bring myself to draft him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Popete I feel like you're just trolling me at this point.

I keep getting really unfortunate timing where I'm ready to pick in the morning before I leave but there is 1 person ahead of me who has 2 full hours. Then I leave and I have barely any service or time out in the field to pick.

This was a lot easier to time when I had my office job.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hello friends the clock is still running today so if one of you could pick that would be cool!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

White Sox are up, Yankees, Mariners, and Cardinals were all skipped earlier, FYI.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to auto everyone with an outstanding skip tonight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Let me at least get to my punto please!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Well, the Nats are skipped in 12 minutes and I'm ready to go, so you won't have to wait long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea who to pick for a utility infielder. Well, I know of one, but it's a not very good pick...

• Locked thread