Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was booze. There was mention earlier about her having a fermenter or a still or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I dunno about Piper calling the parole officer on Alex, it kind of seemed half selfishness because she was lonely, part vendictive after Alex both put her in prison and THEN she got out early all on her own, leaving Piper alone, and part actually trying to save Alex if she had someone after her (Which she probably does after selling out a Drug Baron)

Although all I can think of is the prison scene from Breaking Bad now.

AshB posted:

Just to add something during the lull, Kimiko Glenn (Brooke Soso) did an Ask Me Anything on reddit yesterday. She rambles as much in writing as her character does on scene. It's pretty adorable.
I followed her on twitter when she had about 1,500 followers and now she's got over 9,000. She's gaining popularity pretty quickly, and she's an absolute doll, she replies to just about any question she gets when she has time.

https://twitter.com/KimikoGlenn

She's also 26 which blew my mind because that's two years older than me and she barely looks 20.

Krad posted:

Really? She just came off as angry in the following scene with Vee, and not even drunk-angry. That, plus the way it was shot whenever she went to grab the jar, making it look like she was doing a bad thing, convinced me that it'd be about something else.
That's how people act when they're really drunk and battling the sobering up bits. She makes prison hooch and she was shown drinking it.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 26, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krad posted:

Really? She just came off as angry in the following scene with Vee, and not even drunk-angry. That, plus the way it was shot whenever she went to grab the jar, making it look like she was doing a bad thing, convinced me that it'd be about something else.

Everyone has their vice. Lots of people in prison are recovering from one substance or another, hers is just alcohol.

That stuff is probably really really nasty and provides a terrible hangover to boot, so her behavior is far from surprising.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I originally thought that Piper got the probation officer involved with good intentions but I'm starting to lean against it after reading this. It would suit her way of handling problems to do it this way.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

I'll have to admit when I read this "comic" my first thought was "Oh great, now Daya doesn't even have to interact with other inmates to bring them down, she can be moody remotely."

I'm not at all interested in the rather one-note Daya/Bennet plot. Hoping that maybe next season there can be a Red Wedding-esque shanking scene and we can lose this stupid storyline.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Max posted:

Everyone has their vice. Lots of people in prison are recovering from one substance or another, hers is just alcohol.

That stuff is probably really really nasty and provides a terrible hangover to boot, so her behavior is far from surprising.

I guess I was surprised that she was hiding it in a place where everything ends up in the open... and also that she wouldn't share with anyone, including Taystee.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krad posted:

Krad posted:

I guess I was surprised that she was hiding it in a place where everything ends up in the open... and also that she wouldn't share with anyone, including Taystee.

dear lord

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In the shower scene in question, Vee even says, point blank, "You're drunk."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krad posted:

Addicts hide their stash.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Also she was sharing, until she didn't have any friends any more. She wouldn't sell her hooch because she just wanted to share with her girls.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
if krad had trouble understanding that imagine the other stuff thats flown over his head or that hes completely misinterpreted lol

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I thought they'd go somewhere with it but it ended up being nothing, sue me. :mad:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krad posted:

I thought they'd go somewhere with it but it ended up being nothing, sue me. :mad:

We will be getting some drug addiction hand wringing next season, for sure. It just won't be Poussey.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Max posted:

We will be getting some drug addiction hand wringing next season, for sure. It just won't be Poussey.

Nicky/Heroin relationship drama is gonna be just as painful to watch as Larry/Polly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mymla posted:

Nicky/Heroin relationship drama is gonna be just as painful to watch as Larry/Polly.

It would be interesting to have her actually become a dealer without actually giving in to her own addiction.

But who am I kidding, she'll just be doing Heroin while selling it and trying to hide it from Red, who will find out and she won't be in the family any more.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't think of anything I want to watch less than Prison Heroin Drama

More Old Lady Thugs please

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I actually figured Poussey as being in jail for some act of rage drinking as soon as her flashback.

You can tell she's an angry drunk even in that scene

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I can't think of anything I want to watch less than Prison Heroin Drama

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX_6_R1NsoQ

But yeah, this world has had enough of televised prison heroin drama.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It sucks because I thought it was a great departure to start the show with most of the characters in recovery and lead by someone who actively doesn't want drugs in their group. And they had the great moment when Nicky gave the drugs to Red.

But no, we must see this tired plot thread through.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just finished the season. What an awesome, awesome ending. Always so rude, that one...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This season was great overall but ive ended up hating both the Crazy Eyes and Lorna characters. Lorna was just some random innocent fixated on getting out when it turns out shes absolutely loving mental yet they kept putting her in a nice light afterwards. gently caress that, shes insane.

Crazy Eyes was interesting before but seeing her get manipulated and turn into a very evil person made me dislike her. I hope they don't play the sympathetic role afterwards. Granted Vee totally took advantage of her mentalness (and RIP to Vee, crazy mother fucker but got poo poo done) but there seemed to be a sign of Suzanne going, "I know what im doing here and it's letting people accept me even though im hosed up."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just binged on Season 2 this weekend, and I was surprised at how much I grew to love this show.

I thought Vee's comeuppance was well deserved, and a satisfying conclusion. The best part of Season 2 was the reduced focus on Piper. It was fun spending more time on the prisoners and learning about them.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I am about halfway through the new season and liking it a lot so far. I do like how it incorporates criticism on the prison system in Morello's episode. Being sent to prison is clearly useless for her and for society as it only seems to make her condition worse.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I am about halfway through the new season and liking it a lot so far. I do like how it incorporates criticism on the prison system in Morello's episode. Being sent to prison is clearly useless for her and for society as it only seems to make her condition worse.

Which is also the case in a good third of the plotlines, I feel. That incarceration isn't particularly helpful as a punishment. What's therapeutic is the support group of the other inmates.

So, according to the wiki for this show, Morello was arrested for violating the restraining order Christopher enacted? I was never clear on why she was in prison, and assumed it was related to the credit card fraud. The talk in that court scene about her putting a bomb under a car confuses me, because if that was an admissible fact, she'd be in maximum security for attempted murder. And definitely wouldn't be at a minimum security facility where they let her drive a van outside the gates.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Xealot posted:

Which is also the case in a good third of the plotlines, I feel. That incarceration isn't particularly helpful as a punishment. What's therapeutic is the support group of the other inmates.

So, according to the wiki for this show, Morello was arrested for violating the restraining order Christopher enacted? I was never clear on why she was in prison, and assumed it was related to the credit card fraud. The talk in that court scene about her putting a bomb under a car confuses me, because if that was an admissible fact, she'd be in maximum security for attempted murder. And definitely wouldn't be at a minimum security facility where they let her drive a van outside the gates.

I assumed he was a character witness or something, and the credit card fraud was what she was actually being tried for.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Xealot posted:

Not for Morello though, in her case the support from the other inmates is making her condition worse.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Not for Morello though, in her case the support from the other inmates is making her condition worse.

I don't know if that's true. She's still crazy, but where she started was attacking people and apparently threatening to build (or actually building) bombs. Breaking into Christopher's house is crazy, and wearing his fiance's veil is crazier, but hey...she could've stuck around to do some real damage.

Nichols is probably the only person who's a direct positive influence in her life. She's supportive and kind, even after learning the truth about Morello's "engagement." I'd say that's a positive influence.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Y'all wanna read something dumb? http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/why-it-is-a-bad-thing-that-orange-is-the-new-black-leaves-men-out/373682/

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i clicked that and am glad i have adblock because thats some clickbait if i ever saw some

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress that. Why did I even click on that. gently caress.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
But... But it's specifically a women's prison, and based on the story of someone who stayed in a women's prison. :psyduck: Do they expect them to throw in a few male inmates for kicks? Add enough male guards to outnumber the actual prisoners? Focus on Larry?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"A show that addresses womens' issues and treats women like real, whole characters?! gently caress NO! Can't have that! ~~What about the MEEENNNNN?!~"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Focus on Larry?

Surely no one could be so monstrous as to wish this...!?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Oh my god, loving :laffo:, maybe it's time to make the same criticism of OZ.

EDIT: Oh hey, same thing got mentioned in the comments. What makes it even more egregious, too, is that OZ actually hadp the Claire (or whatever her name was) guard in OZ that was basically the epitome of a female-in-power stereotype. Like, way worse than Fig.

Good to see that the comments are basically railing on the article, though. I didn't read far enough to see the wanky support threads.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I love how no one knows how to basically calm down and just enjoy things.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Looking at the title through the link alone I swear it is like someone snuck an MRA article in or something.

How about "why it is a bad thing that most shows leave women out?" as a title instead?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Sober posted:

Looking at the title through the link alone I swear it is like someone snuck an MRA article in or something.

How about "why it is a bad thing that most shows leave women out?" as a title instead?

Well, you see :words::biotruths::mrapig::biotruths::words: and thus :wtc:

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 1, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Well, you see :words::biotruths::mrapig::biotruths::words: and thus :wtc:

It's not really that at all, it's just a really dumb article. The top comment sums it up pretty well.

quote:

"This may seem like a silly complaint."

Uh..yes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

NESguerilla posted:

It's not really that at all, it's just a really dumb article. The top comment sums it up pretty well.

I was responding to

Sober posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah. Thought you were talking about the article.

The funniest thing about it is that he's fixating on the male inmates that were in the show for 15 minutes. The female inmates on the show seemed pretty stereotypical for the first couple of episodes until they started fleshing them out over the next 2 seasons. The whole premise of the show is that it's about a women's prison. Does he think the show should just just go back and give those random guys in the first episode on SSN 2 a backstory just for the sake of fairness or something?

• Locked thread