Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Starting to fiddle around DDO, what expenditures I should except if I enjoy what I see and decide to play further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Well, depending on how much you enjoy it, I'd do some or all of the following:

1. Subscribe - buying access to all adventure packs, races and classes would get expensive really fast. Subscribing is like $10/month on a 3 month plan, gets you 500 points a month to spend in the store and gives you access to everything except Artificers and Favoured Souls (you can use those free points to unlock one of those classes as well). I think it's well worth knowing you can do any content in the game, and it makes levelling so much faster not being limited to a handful of quests each level.

2. If you really, really like it, start planning for future lives, which probably means investing in stat tomes. They won't make a huge difference on your first life, but they're handy for letting you cut corners on stats in subsequent lives, meet feat pre-reqs, etc. I'm probably the only person who'll recommend actually buying stat tomes though, because either their drop rate got nerfed hard when I came back to the game, or everyone else has rose coloured glasses on how easy they were for them to get.

3. Again, if you really really like the guy, buy at least one of the expansions...and if you're going to do that, *definitely* take them up on their Turbine points special at the same time. It's a huge amount of points (and I guarantee you'll eventually find things you want to spend them on in the store, be it costumes, raid timer bypasses, XP potions, Otto's boxes etc) and they come at a massive discount. You could even use all those bonus points to buy basically all the adventure packs, races and classes, unlock a shitload of bank/shared bank slots, raise money limitations etc, and essentially go free to play with the same access as a subscriber.

But it all depends on how much you enjoy the game...and your first life is going to affect that in a huge way. What race/class combo have you rolled, what level you at, etc? We can totally give you advice on how to make it all easier for you!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gammon posted:

Well, depending on how much you enjoy it, I'd do some or all of the following:

:words:

But it all depends on how much you enjoy the game...and your first life is going to affect that in a huge way. What race/class combo have you rolled, what level you at, etc? We can totally give you advice on how to make it all easier for you!

So, sounds like $10/month can make it up for comfortable, with some larger one time investment further down the line if I really get into it. Right now I have just the game client downloaded and wanted to hear this answer before I put time into it so I don't accidentally start to like something I can't afford eventually. Thanks for the offer on advice, I'll see where first few hours get me and check back. :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Gammon posted:

2. If you really, really like it, start planning for future lives, which probably means investing in stat tomes. They won't make a huge difference on your first life, but they're handy for letting you cut corners on stats in subsequent lives, meet feat pre-reqs, etc. I'm probably the only person who'll recommend actually buying stat tomes though, because either their drop rate got nerfed hard when I came back to the game, or everyone else has rose coloured glasses on how easy they were for them to get.

They drop less now, largely because skill tomes can drop in their place. So when you get a tome it has a slim chance of being a stat tome, let alone a stat tome you need. Up to +3s can be had on the AH for pretty minor amounts of plat (at 20+ when you're considering future lives), 4/5/6 are more difficult to get without running a lot of raids or buying them in the store. They really shouldn't have bothered with adding skill tomes to loot, given that you can get them as Saga rewards. That's a much better way to provide them. Or make them a totally separate drop chance from stat tomes.

But yeah, $30/3 month is a fantastic deal. In the very long run it's more efficient to buy all the poo poo you need, but that can be a heavy investment when you're new and not even sure you like the game. And then when you're not new you'd have to drop a lot at once to get back to where you were just subscribing. And that way you can spend your "free" TP on cosmetic poo poo or save up and buy an expansion with that. Or do what Gammon said and take the point deal and switch to premium then if you're comfortable dropping that much at once, it's a good deal.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If you're VIP then I think all you need really are the two expansions, which I think can be had for less than $50. VIP is the best way to go for new people these days IMO, get some nice benefits and once you've been around a while, played all the content and accumulated some Turbine Points you can judge for yourself whether or not to switch to paying outright for everything you want.

As for bardes, think I know what I'm doing for my TR build now. DemonMage posted a couple of swash builds a page or 3 ago if you want to check them out too.

18 bard/1 fighter/1 FvS PDK

So 9 heroic feats to play with, 3x SWF, PA, 2x cleaves, quicken, emp heal, extend. If you're ok with weaker heals and recasting buffs a lot can go with the shield masteries, but TBH all the buclkers in the game are pretty sad so I think I'll go with the metas.

No Imp crit because for heroics I'll just use Razorend, 15-20x2 with keen on it, so 13-20x3 for a swash and use the CitW rapier after that. 18 bard is for full BAB in warchanter cores mainly, stats not 100% on yet but probably something like:

18 str + all levelups
12 dex
16 con
8 int
8 wis
14 cha

Really just guessing on dex, will plan it out later to see if I can hit real ref saves or not. Cha is only for Divine Might pretty much.

Skills: Should get enough to max out the good stuff, that being 7 balance for GSWF, 1 tumble, 23 perform, 23 UMD and whatever's left into heal and what looks fun. Some people like search for haunted halls, I like swim for shits and giggles.

The break points on bard are 15 for their epic song feat or 16 for ottos irresistible dance usually, can go lower if you don't think you'll want them. Ottos seems like a great idea so you can CdG annoying elementals, some of them take forever to melee down.

As for going max cha without any spell focus feats and the like I honestly have no idea how it'd go. Spell singer is getting some tweaks but wont be out for a while, one of them is getting +4 to bard DCs in their cores and +4 cha as capstone so I'd guess people feel they're kinda weak atm.

Woden fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, I was looking at the following:

Drow 12 bard/6 fighter/2 rogue (only for the evasion)

13 Str
18 Dex (level ups go here too)
14 Con
11 Int
8 Wis
16 Cha

I have +3 to everything except Con, where I have a +5 tome.

11 Heroic Feats would be:
Precision (for the top tier SB talent, basically the damage bonus of PA with a hit bonus too)
SWF/ISWF/GSWF
Shield Mastery/ISW (for the doublestrike bonus while using a buckler)
Imp Crit
Emp Healing
3 x misc - some combo of dodge/mobility/toughness/PA/cleave/g cleave...or I could drop a few levels of fighter and put in additional bard levels to reach that level 15 breakpoint.

Also, at epic levels, twist in the Legendary Shield Mastery from Unyielding Sentinel...combo'd with the enhancements from Swashbuckler, while using a buckler I'd have a 10% dodge bonus (not to mention a pretty high dodge cap) as well as 18% doublestrike. If I *wasn't* using a buckler and didn't take SM/ISM then I'd only have 13% doublestrike, and no huge dodge bonus.

Admittedly, this does lead to me missing out on Overwhelming Critical, which is a bummer, but the massive boosts to both dodge and doublestrike I think would lead to an overall increase in survivability and dps, though I'm also not sure exactly what sort of role this would play in a group...clearly not optimised for top tier dps, and not as great at support as a pure bard, but something in between. Could actually be so generalised as to be useless.

Edit - Precision, Stalwart Defence and Swashbuckling can all stack at the same time. This is pretty sweet. I tested this out before with a lovely S-K, going 7 bard/6 fighter/2 rogue, and had 20-something fort, 34 Reflex, and 14 Will saves, with being able to hit 22% dodge , a 29 max dex bonus on light armour, and about 11% double strike when all is said and done (the rest to be gotten at epic levels, obviously). I suppose the only question is, are the buffs from Stalwart Defence - 20% bonus HP, +3 all saves, +25 PRR - all worth what you lose from not going pure Bard (no point in going 18 bard/2 rogue unless you really want to be a trapper, as level 20 bard gives you evasion in the SB tree).

Gammon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
Dropping the 6 fighter means losing 4 feats, hybrid melee/casters are really hard to do without splashing an extra feat giving class. Especially since you need GSWF, THFers can get away with dropping their feat chain.

You can also pick up some Kensei stuff, like +(3?) doublestrike, +3 dodge, +6(?) dodge cap, haste boost, extra boost, more to-hit and damage, etc.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Gammon posted:

though I'm also not sure exactly what sort of role this would play in a group...clearly not optimised for top tier dps, and not as great at support as a pure bard, but something in between. Could actually be so generalised as to be useless.

This really doesn't matter in DDO. Self healing can be a huge deal, but otherwise as long as people have a way to be healed in a party, and you can do non-trivial DPS, you're good to go. There are maybe some EE raids where a legit tank actually matters a little, and you generally want a healer or two in a raid (though this is again largely due to people not building self healers), but outside of that kill poo poo and stay alive and you're an effective party member. If you can actually form two complete thoughts in a row, you're a superstar in most random groups.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Used to play this game for a while a couple of years back, around 2011-ish, before the expansions. I quit somewhere around when the new Crafting system was implemented. I'm kinda itching for some MMO play again, and I wonder how the state of the game is these days? How active is it? What are the most notable changes in the gameplay? I'm aware that at least the level cap has gone up, and that the enchantment system has had an overhaul. Anything else notable?

I'm especially wondering how friendly the current state of game is for a more casual player these days? I used to run the greensteel circuit and the more common raids, but I never really broke in to the Epic content due to playtime constraints. Back then it was really gear demanding, and I never got kitted up properly. Grinding for Epic items seemed terrible, too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Epic items now just drop outright, no seal/shard/scroll malarkey so much easier to acquire. You can still farm for those old epic items but most have been surpassed in power. Epic Destinies are a new thing, basically you get an extra Epic Prestige class and they're ridiculous in power creep. I play on Cannith and it's just TR trains doing the level 20-28 run or old heroic TRs(1-20) with the occasional raid posted, there isn't much at all to do at level cap so most people are TRing. Oh right, new TRs, one of them is Epic(20-28) and another is Iconic(15-28), Iconics are some new races with a class already spent on the first level. So a Bladeforged always starts as a Paladin, a Purple Dragon Knight is always a level 1 fighter, etc. and they start at level 15 with some decent gear.

No idea about how casual friendly things are though, if you just avoid the Epic Elite difficulty I think you'd avoid 99% of the douche-bags. Self healing is kind of expected these days though. With the power of Epic Destinies it isn't hard at all anymore to do it but if you're just getting back into the game it might take a little adjustment.

DemonMage posted:

This really doesn't matter in DDO. Self healing can be a huge deal, but otherwise as long as people have a way to be healed in a party, and you can do non-trivial DPS, you're good to go. There are maybe some EE raids where a legit tank actually matters a little, and you generally want a healer or two in a raid (though this is again largely due to people not building self healers), but outside of that kill poo poo and stay alive and you're an effective party member. If you can actually form two complete thoughts in a row, you're a superstar in most random groups.

Not sure what you mean about the EE raids but agree 100% with the rest.

EE raids, well the newer ones anyway you still kind of want a (semi)dedicated healer. Cocoon is great for most content but can't tank with it at all unless tanking includes some kiting, and most of the good tanks I see are monks that use cocoon almost exclusively.

Woden fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 28, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Off to a disappointing start. Waiting for customer service to add DDO subscription to my Turbine account. :smith:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Is it saying your card doesn't work due to their security bullshit? You can pay via PayPal instead and it'll work basically the same way. I appreciate the attempt at security but they should just add 2-factor authentication and screw the weird credit card location stuff.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DemonMage posted:

Is it saying your card doesn't work due to their security bullshit? You can pay via PayPal instead and it'll work basically the same way. I appreciate the attempt at security but they should just add 2-factor authentication and screw the weird credit card location stuff.
It's "No subscription for DDO found" when I click "Login" in launcher using my old Turbine account I used to play LotRO from back in the day. From what I gather, either a support ticket or new Turbine account (through ddo.com I believe) is needed to get in game in my situation. Since I'd like to keep things on one account, I guess I will just wait until support resolves the issue for me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh yup. Not being able to play all three of their games on the same account without a sizable hassle is just plain stupid.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What's essential difference between wizard and sorcerer?

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

kalstrams posted:

What's essential difference between wizard and sorcerer?

sp vs dc and the ability to swap spells on the fly.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Wizards also have vastly better self healing if you don't have access to Warforged. Due to death aura and undead forms.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

Not sure what you mean about the EE raids but agree 100% with the rest.

EE raids, well the newer ones anyway you still kind of want a (semi)dedicated healer. Cocoon is great for most content but can't tank with it at all unless tanking includes some kiting, and most of the good tanks I see are monks that use cocoon almost exclusively.

I haven't done the two newest (gently caress level requirements), but I know Fall of Truth some groups preferred having someone who identified as tank specced. That's about the only time a tank role ever comes up. Healer sometimes comes up, but self healing is generally preferred outside of raids. And every combat game needs DPS. Was just saying roles are super blurred here outside of very rare circumstances (EE raids are rarely randomly grouped).

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Welp, I've resubbed and ran some EE stuff last night with the first group I found. So rusty at this, but was good to get back in to it :)

Woden
May 6, 2006
The Firepeak raid has two red dragons you need a couple of tanks for, on norm they can hit for 900ish(1600 crit) with I think their tail swipe. Deathwyrm has an undead dragon that needs to be in a certain place at a certain time, if you try to kite it has a lunge attack that moves pretty far so kind of want a melee range tank for it. DeathWyrm doesn't hit that hard though on norm or hard, haven't tried EE which is usually a huge step up and for Firepeak you can just keep raising the tank if they're unlucky with swipes.

That's still only 3 raids where you need a tank and even then, on norm and hard to some degree you can just brute force a win with self healing dudes. Would hate to try this with mostly PuGs though.

Think there's something wrong with my fortification too, got crit by one of those red dragons in Firepeak and then later by some dude in Precious Cargo. I have 165% fort and the dragon was only ML 39 so should have been fine, no idea what the dude in PCs ML was as I couldn't fine him after I died but all the ones I could see were a lot lower than 65. Thinking maybe Jack-Jibbers takes off the 75% fortification from undead form twice or something.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Started using my new gamepad with DDO...works surprisingly well, though sorting out buttons was a bitch. Think I can get my setup working better, but it's nice to really sit back in the chair and just mash buttons like it's a fighter or something and still come out on top :) Soloed EH VoN3 just to test it out, worked pretty well. I think once I get used to using it more I'll get smoother at it, but things like movement in general are pretty easy to get on top of.

Woden
May 6, 2006
July Producers Letter

Lots of changes, no desert for U23. Instead we get epic Orchard and the paladin/armour changes. The raid will be re worked thank god.

New augments from Crystal Cove.

U24 will be something new we haven't heard much about, some new quests, new cookies and a new event.

U25 will be next year and have the desert as well as some other Haunted Halls like classic module, level cap increase and looks like sentient weapons will be coming at this point too.

Edit: Warchanter and Spell Singer updates coming next patch, so some time this month.

Edit 2: Heart seed change coming with the next patch, so prepare your alts.

Woden fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 1, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm pretty happy about this overall. As long as most of the new content they add is level 25+ epic, and preferably part of a Saga, then it'll fill out the annoying 26-28 time. I don't really care too much if we get to 30 anytime soon. Also the new event centers around looting chests, which I am down with in theory. Heart seed change is fantastic, I've got a heart and enough commendations to buy another one, so I won't need it anytime soon (especially since Original Sin just came out) but it's something that deserves to be in sooner rather than later.

Woden
May 6, 2006
On the fence about the level cap being pusehed out. I really want a viable end game but am enjoying eTRing atm(only 2 runs from e completionist!), so delaying is probably best for me. Can get some more PLs while they're faster to do and when 30 comes hopefully there'll be a reason to stay at cap, unlike Shadowfell.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
What is this Heart seed stuff about? I am completely lost.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Complete an epic quest with a capped toon and you get 1-2 heart seeds in the end reward, once per day/quest. Kind of like tokens of the twelve were when the level cap was 20, do 20ish quests at cap and you can buy a heart to TR again.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Hey Two they're doing double bonus points 4th-13th if you were still wanting to do the airship thing.

Also there is no plans for a paid expansion in 2015 (we pretty much knew this but nice to have it confirmed).
U24 quests are not ready to be talked about, but they will be new, not epicfying old stuff.
Double commendations and crystal cove are continuing until the 6th.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I'm still up for getting the guild the largest ship. I may even go crazy and get some upgrades too.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Alright, getting this poo poo updated and I'm going to try playing again. :v: Hopefully I can finish off this life and then get rid of it. Still haven't decided if I just want to say 'gently caress completionist' and go back to monk, or level through bard or divine casters.

e: Are any of you still doing 1-20 TRs these days or have I completely missed that ship? I'm strongly considering going bard next life, but if I'm going to have to slog through 1-20 with myself/pubbies I'll probably just do Monk and stop TRing.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 4, 2014

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
Goons now have the biggest pimp ship in game. We also have 700+ shards left over, feel free to use them on shrine upgrades, DemonMage.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How do I get into goon guild on the server from the OP? My nickname in-game is Kalstrams, if this game has guild invite system that works offline. I joined 'goons' channel yesterday, but it was empty since I guess there aren't many European goons playing this.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

Alright, getting this poo poo updated and I'm going to try playing again. :v: Hopefully I can finish off this life and then get rid of it. Still haven't decided if I just want to say 'gently caress completionist' and go back to monk, or level through bard or divine casters.

e: Are any of you still doing 1-20 TRs these days or have I completely missed that ship? I'm strongly considering going bard next life, but if I'm going to have to slog through 1-20 with myself/pubbies I'll probably just do Monk and stop TRing.

Valisti and I are doing Iconic TRs these days (and Original Sin). 15-28 is so much more fun compared to 1-20. Not really any slower either (plus you get Iconic and Regular past lives). You can TR into an Iconic Race from a normal race as soon as you hit 20 and you'll start at 15 with a normal heart. You'll need to hit 28 and use an Iconic heart to go back to normal or start a new Iconic. If you level up to 28 first you can use Epic heart which takes you down to 20 and then immediately reincarnated with a regular heart, if you logged on during december and got a free one this is a good idea, easy way to grab 3% doublestrike. And with Swashbuckler, bard would probably be a lot of fun.

That said, there's a fair chance you'll be soloing or random grouping at least some of it. So maybe you'd have more fun just hanging out at 28, there is two new raids with cool new greensteel-esque weapons to make. And a cool set of armor.

Nita posted:

Goons now have the biggest pimp ship in game. We also have 700+ shards left over, feel free to use them on shrine upgrades, DemonMage.

Man that's awesome. Thank you so much. I'll go poke around and see what we need.

kalstrams posted:

My nickname in-game is Kalstrams, if this game has guild invite system that works offline.

I'll mail you an invite here in a sec.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Okay so if you zone onto the airship, turn around, use that door and go to floor one you'll find pretty much all the vendors clustered there. We've got Pawn Shop, Tavern, Hireling Vendors, Bind Point, Bank, Auctioneer, Mail box, the works. Floor 3 has greensteel and cannith crafting. I put down as many buffs as I could, and spent a few million plat upgrading the small resist shrines so we could have % absorbs too. We've got enough shards left to grab 1% xp, but it's such a pitiful amount of experience saved over a life, and so expensive to get back to the 4% we have in the cargo hold if people really want that. I'm hoping they'll start dropping and we can just get a 4% more easily.

Gained: +10% amp, 10% less damage while helpless, +15 unconsciousness range, +1 turn undead/lay on hands/smite evil/bard song/action boost, protection from evil (without mind control protection), +1-3 concentration, heal, repair, spellcraft, umd, disable device, hide, open lock, search, spot, +20 max hp, +1 fort vs poison/disease, 2% max dodge and dex bonus, +1 save vs enchantment, +2% doubleshot, +5% acid/cold/fire absorb

We've got 1 large and 4 small free. And could regain 3 more smalls by just using the big resist shrine (or keep the smalls and free up another large, since I left it there since it looks cool).

I didn't buy the Dancehall (balance/jump/perform/etc) or Throne Room (social skills) since they're 180 shards each for rarely useful skills (perform is nice, but not 180 shards nice).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 4, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

DemonMage posted:

Valisti and I are doing Iconic TRs these days (and Original Sin). 15-28 is so much more fun compared to 1-20. Not really any slower either (plus you get Iconic and Regular past lives). You can TR into an Iconic Race from a normal race as soon as you hit 20 and you'll start at 15 with a normal heart. You'll need to hit 28 and use an Iconic heart to go back to normal or start a new Iconic. If you level up to 28 first you can use Epic heart which takes you down to 20 and then immediately reincarnated with a regular heart, if you logged on during december and got a free one this is a good idea, easy way to grab 3% doublestrike. And with Swashbuckler, bard would probably be a lot of fun.

Okay okay so wait, right now I'm a lovely h-orc stickfighter. When I finish the last 4 levels I can TR into Iconic. This will still give me the fighter past life, correct? Then at the end of completionisting when I want to return to being a monk (probably half-elf again), I'd use a regular heart and go back to half-elf and level from 1-28 for the last time? Or am I misunderstanding it all?

Here's the progress I had on my completionist before giving up due to hating this life: Paladin, Monk, and currently 16 on a life that'd give me fighter. So I need everything else.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The heart you use determines your past life gained.
So you hit 20, use a normal heart, gain fighter past life, become an Iconic race and continue TRing.
Everytime you hit 28 and use an Iconic Heart you get an Iconic Past Life and a Heroic Past Life.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

DemonMage posted:

The heart you use determines your past life gained.
So you hit 20, use a normal heart, gain fighter past life, become an Iconic race and continue TRing.
Everytime you hit 28 and use an Iconic Heart you get an Iconic Past Life and a Heroic Past Life.

Okay cool, so with the 10 lives left (not counting fighter) I'd just run 15-28 as Iconics on all of them and end up with 10 Iconic PLs too. Morning Lord is pretty much the only one I wouldn't stack since I'd rather have the Fort/PRR/Dodge for Monk in the end.

I don't suppose you have specific suggestions on which classes to do with which race? I mean, from a stats and bonuses perspective it isn't hard to figure out, but more that they have those annoying predetermined level 1 classes.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I'm going to be TRing again as soon as I hit 28. I'm still Bladeforged this life, torn over what to go next. I'll either go a pure Bard and go full on Swashbuckler (looked at multiclassing, couldn't find any specific way of actually making the multiclassed version a better, more useful character than just a pure Bard), or do something that can take advantage of the Divine Crusader life. Was thinking of doing this build:

12 Fvs/6 Monk/2 Fighter
Human

Str 16 (+4)
Dex 14 (+3)
Con 15 (+5)
Int 10 (+4)
Wis 14 (+4)
Cha 12 (+4)

Ability levelups to be determined - enough Str to get overwhelming crit though.

Sovereign Host as the religion, so Longswords become favoured weapons.

Feats (combined heroic, monk, fighter and human):

Whirling Steel Strike
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Improved Crit
Single Weapon Fighting
ISWF
GSWF
Quicken
Empower Healing
Master of Forms
Grandmaster of Forms
Dodge

This basically lets me use a single longsword, stay centred, get full access to all the monk forms (specifically the +1 crit multiplier from Earth stance), big enough mana pool for Heal and smites, and spellpower bonuses. I *could* go Drow (drop the Whirling Steel Strike) and gain inherent spell resistance, but then I'd miss out on some healing amp from the Human tree and take a minor Con hit.

Poke some holes in it please and tell me what I'm missing!

Tsurupettan posted:

Okay cool, so with the 10 lives left (not counting fighter) I'd just run 15-28 as Iconics on all of them and end up with 10 Iconic PLs too. Morning Lord is pretty much the only one I wouldn't stack since I'd rather have the Fort/PRR/Dodge for Monk in the end.

I don't suppose you have specific suggestions on which classes to do with which race? I mean, from a stats and bonuses perspective it isn't hard to figure out, but more that they have those annoying predetermined level 1 classes.

A +1 LR token can get around that, but that's a pretty steep price to pay per life, and doesn't really work if you plan on going a 3 class build. If you are going to do a build that includes Paladin of any sort though, Bladeforged is really great because they get Reconstruct as a spell like ability in their racial enhancement tree, which is amazing. Just don't plan on having high Dex or Wis though.

Gammon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 4, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

Here's the progress I had on my completionist before giving up due to hating this life: Paladin, Monk, and currently 16 on a life that'd give me fighter. So I need everything else.

Bladeforged: Sorcerer, Rogue?, Artificer
PDK: Bard, Cleric, Favored Soul
Shadar-Kai: Rogue?, Druid, Ranger
Sun-Elf: Barbarian maybe...?

Something like that should work. Barbarian is the tough one, you can't do Barbarian Bladeforged because they can't be lawful, but you're going to be hurting for healing.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I forget, can you rage and swashbuckle at the same time? Bardbarian might be viable, especially once you get to epic levels and just run in divine crusader. Something like 12/8 or even 10/10 would get you barb life over bard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, that's true. Rage does work with it (just not defender stances). That could probably work. Divine Crusader should make barbarian a lot better if you save it for last. The past life isn't that great at 15 anyways, so doing it early in the cycle to benefit from it is no big deal. Just do 15-20 on Hard even, and then switch straight to Divine Crusader at 20 and you should have no trouble doing EH to cap.

P.S. Tsu there's Epic Completionist too. You get access to a fourth Twist of Fate slot.

• Locked thread