Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Fusion was alright, but it's no Super.

I went through my old Wii games to register those and I only found two of the codes still in the cases. I must have thrown the others out years ago and I'm 40 points shy of Platinum. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I wish there was a Metroid game that allowed you to explore cool places but didn't require you to run through Norfair thirty times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Then I don't know why you like Metroid at all. Fusion is barely a Metroid game - it's aggressively linear and throws up walls at every opportunity.

The fun of Fusion is figuring out how to go around those walls.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Metroid Fusion is a good game, it is not bad for being more linear than other metroid games, it is okay for a game to be linear.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

The fun of Fusion is figuring out how to go around those walls.

But there are extremely few walls that CAN be broken, that's the whole problem.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Can someone help me out with Wonderful 101? I love Platinum but they're really bad at convaying info. How do I know what moves I can block and which will go through my block move? Also, how can I tell when an enemy will attack? It feels like sometimes the big guys just punch me with no warning.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

But there are extremely few walls that CAN be broken, that's the whole problem.

i realized this and it dawned upon me that i wasn't having any fun with the game, whatsoever

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Fusion is a really great, but somewhat untraditional, Metroid game. In fact, though, it creates a more interesting dynamic than Other M does--it has linearity to stymie the player, but the course of the game involves overcoming that linearity and ultimately destroying it, just like every other Metroid game. It codifies the nature of the games and sort of makes a kind of meta-narrative about it, which fits it being a "future" sort of Metroid, the last in the chronology.

Other M just ties your hands and mocks you while it cuts the rope fiber by fiber.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

quote:

noirstronaut" post="431510161"]
I just thought it was fun. :psyduck:

Haha look at this guy playing games "for fun". Time to grow up dude.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Can someone help me out with Wonderful 101? I love Platinum but they're really bad at convaying info. How do I know what moves I can block and which will go through my block move?

If a move involves any kind of sharp edge (drills, swords, drills, et cetera) you can't Guts it, you gotta dodge. Also, bigger attacks require a bigger Guts, so if you don't have enough Wonderful Ones/Recruts, and/or some are KO'd, you won't be able to block them, either.

Austrian mook posted:

Also, how can I tell when an enemy will attack? It feels like sometimes the big guys just punch me with no warning.

Sound cues, particle effects, and above all else, practice. You will suck for the first chunk of your first playthrough, but you will get better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Austrian mook posted:

Can someone help me out with Wonderful 101? I love Platinum but they're really bad at convaying info. How do I know what moves I can block and which will go through my block move? Also, how can I tell when an enemy will attack? It feels like sometimes the big guys just punch me with no warning.

Blunt attacks can be blocked. Sharp, pointy ones (drills, spikes, swords, and lasers) can't and will make you feel like an idiot when you invariably get smacked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lasers, however, can be reflected by using Sword!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm loving The Wonderful 101 but yeah it definitely does a poor job of conveying what it expects you to do. I spent like 10 minutes punching that first giant boss's head before I realized it wanted me bridge across to the other arm.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone should dig up that huge primer/beginner guide to W101. It was really useful from what I remember.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Here, read this player's guide and watch this ten part YouTube series about how to play this game. THEN it's fun. I swear.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So is there a reason Nintendo continues to ignore their Sci-Fi franchises besides milking Mario, Pokemon and Zelda? Mario Kart 8 pretty much is F-Zero now and the last F-Zero game was GX back in 2003. The last Metroid game was Other M which basically killed the series. At least they announced a new Star Fox. I'd kill for a new Metroid Prime game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

matrix ripoff posted:

Here, read this player's guide and watch this ten part YouTube series about how to play this game. THEN it's fun. I swear.

...Yes, it is.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

This is true, however. Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising all have a huge barrier of entry but once you're in there's nothing like it.

Starhawk64 posted:

So is there a reason Nintendo continues to ignore their Sci-Fi franchises besides milking Mario, Pokemon and Zelda? Mario Kart 8 pretty much is F-Zero now and the last F-Zero game was GX back in 2003. The last Metroid game was Other M which basically killed the series. At least they announced a new Star Fox. I'd kill for a new Metroid Prime game.

they announced that they're making a new 2D and 3D Metroid game, but they're still early concept stuff so they have nothing to show. I like that instead of making a meaningless trailer to generate hype for a game 5 years from now (Square) they actually wait until they've got something worth showing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Starhawk64 posted:

Probably because sales of a new F-Zero game would only cover the tax of MK8 in one state.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

matrix ripoff posted:

You'd need to learn how to play basketball before you could play basketball. Same thing here, you need to get the basics.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Starhawk64 posted:

None of them sell, to be completely blunt. Metroid is the biggest of the bunch, and even that is only really popular in the west. And even that was only true up until Other M poo poo the bed and bombed in the west in addition to selling awful in Japan like every other Metroid.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Austrian mook posted:

This is true, however. Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising all have a huge barrier of entry but once you're in there's nothing like it.

I've been able to vault over those games' barriers and other games that boast a "huge barrier of entry," but that's because I found those particular games to be fun. I certainly didn't have to go to the internet for help on how to play them, anyways (in before someone says that I must have been playing those games wrong). I'm not saying that W101 is a bad game because I couldn't get into it, I'm just not going to put in the implied investment to attempt to have fun with the game after a sour run with the demo and page after page of people asking "how do I play this game?" It's not a sparkling endorsement for the game.

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 29, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How on earth do you do the baby puzzle in Pushmo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

matrix ripoff posted:

I've been able to vault over those games' barriers and other games that boast a "huge barrier of entry," but that's because I found those particular games to be fun. I certainly didn't have to go to the internet for help on how to play them, anyways (in before someone says that I must have been playing those games wrong). I'm not saying that W101 is a bad game because I couldn't get into it, I'm just not going to put in the implied investment to attempt to have fun with the game after a sour run with the demo and page after page of people asking "how do I play this game?"

W101 plays insanely like Bayonetta, including straight-up ripping off several mechanics and having Bayonetta as a playable character. If you were able to get over Bayonetta's wall of entry and still can't play W101, that is not the game's default because the skills from one transfer almost directly over to the other and the big learning curve is the effect of the weapons and the game-specific gimmicks.

People offered similar videos for Rising (in fact, go check in the Rising thread and see people recommend Chip Cheezum's LP when someone has trouble) and Bayonetta (which had a giant-rear end strategy guide people strongly recommended and tons of "how to play" videos.)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You'd need to learn how to play basketball before you could play basketball. Same thing here, you need to get the basics.

But these should be taught within the game itself. If a noticeable amount of people can't get to grips with your games without supplementary materials it's a problem. It's why platinum games always review so lukewarmly - not only is there a big barrier but those materials often don't even exist at the time of the review.

If the game is meant to be mysterious it's one thing, but it just seems like an oversight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

But these should be taught within the game itself. If a noticeable amount of people can't get to grips with your games without supplementary materials it's a problem. It's why platinum games always review so lukewarmly - not only is there a big barrier but those materials often don't even exist at the time of the review.

If the game is meant to be mysterious it's one thing, but it just seems like an oversight.

Most of the things are explained in the game, the manual, or discoverable with even minor experimentation. The things that are not are not necessary to finish the game or even platinum it, they are quirks of the system (which DMC or Bayonetta or whatever has too.)

The one thing I would say Platinum needs to stop doing is locking the secondary defensive mechanic behind a buyable item since it keeps making people overlook it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Platinum games are great but they need to gut their tutorial staff, how often do you look at the manual in other great games? Theres a lot going on in Rising, but stuff like how blocking works (intrinsic part of the game) never really explained and having the dodge move gated (even if it's the first item and very cheap) is incredibly dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Platinum games are great but they need to gut their tutorial staff, how often do you look at the manual in other great games?

... All the time? If there is a written instruction manual (or digital manual) I will read it and it usually clarifies stuff that the game doesn't.

Also, y'know, Dark Souls.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

... All the time? If there is a written instruction manual (or digital manual) I will read it and it usually clarifies stuff that the game doesn't.

Also, y'know, Dark Souls.

I haven't read one in years, personally.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

It's a tough balance. Yes, the game needed something more thorough in explaining all of its mechanics, but I appreciate that it doesn't think I'm so stupid that I can't figure things out--and I enjoyed learning on the fly, I enjoyed discovering all of my abilities and capabilities in the heat of the moment. It gave me the basics, it was up to me to figure out how to put them to work. It's a sense of accomplishment, like learning how to drive a car.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I haven't read one in years, personally.

Looks like that didn't work out so well for you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

Most of the things are explained in the game, the manual, or discoverable with even minor experimentation. The things that are not are not necessary to finish the game or even platinum it, they are quirks of the system (which DMC or Bayonetta or whatever has too.)

Sorry but if it were just a random few people that had this complaint then you'd be right on but a massive glut of players, even after playing for hours, are coming back frustrated and confused. If your game has such a high point of entry that it's turning potential customers away, then find a middle ground that caters to those that want an immense challenge and those that want to enjoy the game without memorizing a Shakespeare esque moveset.

I've put 2 hours into it and am not having fun but am hanging in there. The videos online are saying to use moves I can't afford yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oxxidation posted:

Looks like that didn't work out so well for you.

Actually it works fine

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
poo poo the fact that people tell you to watch 40 minutes of video to learn basic poo poo about the game should tell you something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Sorry but if it were just a random few people that had this complaint then you'd be right on but a massive glut of players, even after playing for hours, are coming back frustrated and confused. If your game has such a high point of entry that it's turning potential customers away, then find a middle ground that caters to those that want an immense challenge and those that want to enjoy the game without memorizing a Shakespeare esque moveset.

I've put 2 hours into it and am not having fun but am hanging in there. The videos online are saying to use moves I can't afford yet.

You can literally finish the entire game with everything you get by default + the block move. (Which is really essential but is also insanely cheap.) You don't have to memorize a "Shakespeare-esque moveset" at all. It has only a handful of button combinations for each weapon and each one have the exact same button inputs.

Like, of all the problems W101 has, a large and complex moveset is not one of them. You have the switch-between-weapons elements and then each weapon has like three moves in addition to regular attacks. (Stinger, Rising and Cyclone.)

Louisgod posted:

poo poo the fact that people tell you to watch 40 minutes of video to learn basic poo poo about the game should tell you something.

People say that because it gives an example of high-level play and explains things very slowly, not because it is the only way to learn things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 29, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can beat a Tony Hawk game just doing Ollies but where's the fun in that

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Louisgod posted:

It does kinda have a middle ground in that it has easy and very easy, I guess. You can get your feet wet in a difficulty where you're never really in danger and then try again on normal with your accumulated knowledge and arsenal of items and techniques.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If a game doesn't have 4 different 300 page wikis full of user-submitted guides arguing with each other it is probably for babies.

I actually do find games with designed, finite levels that veer towards overly technical kind of weird. What's the point of getting good at a game if it's just going to end?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kater posted:

If a game doesn't have 4 different 300 page wikis full of user-submitted guides arguing with each other it is probably for babies.

I actually do find games with designed, finite levels that veer towards overly technical kind of weird. What's the point of getting good at a game if it's just going to end?

There are multiple difficulty modes with different enemy configurations, special challenge maps, and a ranking system which encourages you to play through and get good scores in order to unlock additional content, as well as the ability to challenge yourself to get better scores and defeat tougher challenges. It is also fun to master a game and improve your capability of getting through it quickly or effectively. (Go watch the Speedy Games Done Quick marathon going on right now if you need examples of that. Also donate because it is a good charity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mario 3D World has tons of mechanical depth and is also incredibly straightforward.

It's good

• Locked thread