Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Reading here about Al Haig during the Nixon years suddenly makes his "I am in control here" freak-out after the assassination attempt on Reagan seem a lot more sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mooyashi posted:

President: The nuclear bomb, does that bother you?...I just want you to think big, Henry, for Christsakes.

Good goddamn.

"What Henry, too pussy to appreciate vaporizing a few million people and risking the deaths of billions in global nuclear war, all for no reason? You mary" :clint:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone still have those Adam Smith quotes about how even he didn't agree with a totally free market?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does anyone still have those Adam Smith quotes about how even he didn't agree with a totally free market?

No, but there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegHBgfqoVo

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

And how do you think the no-cops alternative would play out?

Ah, yes. The only alternative to the ever-expanding abuses and militarization of the police: no cops at all.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SedanChair posted:

Ah, yes. The only alternative to the ever-expanding abuses and militarization of the police: no cops at all.

That it'd be an improvement follows from saying they're a net negative.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

SedanChair posted:

No cop makes the world a better place, period.
I diagree.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nixon, aged 10 posted:

Nov. 12, 1923
My Dear Master:
The two dogs that you left with me are very bad to me. Their dog, Jim, is very old and he will never talk or play with me. One Saturday the boys went hunting. Jim and myself went with them. While going through the woods one of the boys triped and fell on me. I lost my temper and bit him. He kiked me in the side and we started on. While we were walking I saw a black round thing in a tree. I hit it with my paw. A swarm of black thing came out of it. I felt a pain all over. I started to run and as both of my eyes were swelled shut I fell into a pond. When I got home I was very sore. I wish you would come home right now.
Your good dog Richard

Nixon had issues.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

Who gives a poo poo? Maybe they visited kids' hospitals too.
Actually Jason would do that

quote:

It doesn't matter what they do that's good.

People who get to know cops and conclude that they are nice guys and doing their best are enablers of wickedness and corruption.

You call it that, I call it being a human being :agesilaus:

It is entirely possible for people to be good people on an individual level but be, well, college cops, on an organizational level. They know what is going on, I had more than one drunkenly open up to me about how the rape statistics were completely buried to make the school look better and he wouldn't let his daughter go there.

There is just a sense of nihilism about fixing it and I don't even know what to tell them, much less what to do to make it better

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ you're talking about campus police? Way to matter.

Accretionist posted:

That it'd be an improvement follows from saying they're a net negative.

1) I didn't say they're a net negative, although you could argue it, and I will right now: they're a net negative.

2) It's piss-poor reasoning to infer that any criticism of a system being a net negative necessarily invokes a need to immediately destroy it without considering the effects.

3) What I am saying is that police do enough bad as a part of their job that the good they do is irrelevant.

4) gently caress it, let's go ahead and do it. Replace every cop with a social worker.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fried Chicken posted:

There is just a sense of nihilism about fixing it and I don't even know what to tell them, much less what to do to make it better

Are you serious? They wish they could do something. They claim knowdlege of secret conspiracies when drunk. They cut corner when convenient.

Are you trying to see if we pick up that they are the rapist??

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SedanChair is trolling, right? His stated position is advocating for a world without law enforcement-unless he's proposing the military enforce the laws.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's a reported shooting in progress on the east side of town! Send in the social workers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm exaggerating, but yeah. Cops don't exist to stop shootings.

Jesus, has it really gotten that lax around here? Cops? Really?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

SedanChair is trolling, right? His stated position is advocating for a world without law enforcement-unless he's proposing the military enforce the laws.

Nah, he just wants Judge Dredd.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

SedanChair posted:

It's piss-poor reasoning to infer that any criticism of a system being a net negative necessarily invokes a need to immediately destroy it without considering the effects.

It's piss poor reasoning that underlies loving up your read of a rhetorical question that badly.

You have to factor in all the poo poo they're corking up. There's plenty of incredibly corrupt departments which are a net negative but in general? Really?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Jesus christ you're talking about campus police? Way to matter.
Among others. I've moved around a lot. I lived in 3 different cities last year alone.

Femur posted:

Are you serious? They wish they could do something. They claim knowdlege of secret conspiracies when drunk. They cut corner when convenient.

Are you trying to see if we pick up that they are the rapist??
How the gently caress do you get complaining about the administration manipulating statistics to "they are the criminals!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

It's piss poor reasoning that underlies loving up your read of a rhetorical question that badly.

It wasn't a rhetorical question, it was a stupid hyperbolic pretend case of the vapors, popular among cop apologists when anyone suggests the system is too far gone to save.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh man, do I get to talk about tone? SedanChair, you've made it impossible to distinguish your rhetorical position from your actual one. That you continue to respond in a rhetorical manner makes your audience feel that you aren't speaking or acting in good faith.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

I'm exaggerating, but yeah. Cops don't exist to stop shootings.

Jesus, has it really gotten that lax around here? Cops? Really?
Bring back the Cops on the Beat thread

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The GBS one was mildly entertaining until fog tripper et al ruined it with gunchat.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fried Chicken posted:

How the gently caress do you get complaining about the administration manipulating statistics to "they are the criminals!"

All co-conspirators share in the crime? But your story was weird because they are clearly lying, their statements of beliefs are not internally consistent.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Femur posted:

All co-conspirators share in the crime? But your story was weird because they are clearly lying, their statements of beliefs are not internally consistent.

you read too much fiction.

See that red title of yours? Take it as a hint.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Cops are actually bad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't a rhetorical question, it was a stupid hyperbolic pretend case of the vapors, popular among cop apologists when anyone suggests the system is too far gone to save.

Your rhetorical posture is some silly poo poo if you're having this much trouble with its implications.

Either they're a net negative, and their disappearance overnight would be good.

Or they're a net positive, and their disappearance overnight would be bad.

Which is it? You can't argue they're a net negative but paradoxically their disappearance would be bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

His original statements were even stronger- they're not just bad in sum, they're categorically bad. I think SedanChair's position is best summed up as "the only good cop is a dead cop".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

It's better than the militarization of my dumbfuck neighbor and whatever other brokedick whistle-rear end who thinks their yard is a free-fire zone.

I'll take that over eliminating the societal role of police officers any day.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh man, do I get to talk about tone? SedanChair, you've made it impossible to distinguish your rhetorical position from your actual one. That you continue to respond in a rhetorical manner makes your audience feel that you aren't speaking or acting in good faith.

I just looked at your post with the same expression on my face as if it was a backed-up toilet. So your tone's great!

You often seem to have a tough time making sense of things so let me spell it out real good. The policing system in the United States is broken. It was made broken. It was never not broken. It needs to be scrapped. That doesn't mean Judge Dredd or The Courier or hippie communes or something. Just Norway cops would be a start. How dense do you have to be not to get that?

e:

Discendo Vox posted:

His original statements were even stronger- they're not just bad in sum, they're categorically bad. I think SedanChair's position is best summed up as "the only good cop is a dead cop".

They are bad people. There are no good cops. Very obvious from context.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's very difficult to understand your position of advocacy for a Norway style law enforcement system when your previous posts have been such gems of nuance, explanation and rigorous argumentation as

SedanChair posted:

Police are your enemies.

SedanChair posted:

No cop makes the world a better place, period.

or, for that matter,

SedanChair posted:

They are bad people. There are no good cops. Very obvious from context.

This last quote contradicts parts of the same post.

Maybe this can be a collaborative project. Could other folks guess what they think SedanChair's position is? No one seems to be able to identify it, including SedanChair.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 29, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
what is the endgame here?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
See what you've done, Sedanchair? You've got people coming out in support of the police. I hope you're happy.

Some rhetoric, you've got.

Miltank posted:

SedanChair gets practice/feedback on inflammatory rhetoric.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 29, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

no cops, no managers

I mean for real though how is it controversial to argue that the police are, and have been, tools of repression, state violence, and social control since basically forever? It's bad. What the police do are bad. That some cops might be good and decent folks outside of their job doesn't really matter when they literally work for one of the most repressive institutions in our society.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Miltank posted:

A derail to carry us through to the July thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

no cops, no managers

I mean for real though how is it controversial to argue that the police are, and have been, tools of repression, state violence, and social control since basically forever? It's bad. What the police do are bad. That some cops might be good and decent folks outside of their job doesn't really matter when they literally work for one of the most repressive institutions in our society.

It's actually very controversial- it's strange to argue against the existence of law enforcement without presenting some alternative position. Asserting a flat negative isn't the same as asserting a meaningful policy position.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

If everyone was armed and open carried there would be no need for cops. Checkmate gun grabbers :smugdog:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's actually very controversial- it's strange to argue against the existence of law enforcement without presenting some alternative position. Asserting a flat negative isn't the same as asserting a meaningful policy position.

The solution is full communism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Talking about the administration of justice, wotta fuckin' derail from politics! :wow:

Discendo Vox posted:

I realize you're a zombie centrist but do you, like, realize that it's possible to criticize a system as being harmful and yet not have a way to fix it? I'm giving you examples of law enforcement that are less corrupt, less worthless and you're like "buh buh that's inconsistent, I thought all cops were bad!"

Because you need poo poo spoon-fed to you, I will give you a series of meaningful policy proposals. Ready?

-demilitarize police: scrap APCs, riot gear and select-fire carbines. End all SWAT.
-outlaw police unions
-require cops live where they work
-mandate community oversight boards with the power to fire
-mandate always-on body cameras

But all of that's tactical, understand? It won't make policing any more of a valuable institution, just a less damaging one. It will still be what it always has been, a tool to enforce prejudice and inequality.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Based on your final sentence, SedanChair, you're still avoiding an actual position beyond the categorical unethicality of law enforcement. The rest of your post kind of doesn't do anything in that regard.

Swan Oat posted:

The solution is full communism.

Are you saying there would be no law enforcement under full communism, no need for law enforcement under communism, or that law enforcement stops being problematic under full communism?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on your final sentence, you're still avoiding an actual position beyond the categorical unethicality of law enforcement. The rest of your post kind of doesn't do anything in that regard.

Write more clearly, please. What's your problem with what I'm saying? Take a position yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

My alternative position is law enforcement that hasn't been thoroughly root-and-branch all-the-loving-way-to-the-top infected with the following two ideas:

#1- "If you ain't cop, you ain't poo poo."

#2- "HOOOO RAAAAH!" >cocks M4<

I'm genuinely scared of them and wouldn't even ask one for help if I needed it unless it was a literal life and death situation. That's a hell of a thing to say about members of an organization whose creed is "To Protect and Serve," but I'm always 100% aware they can beat your rear end or straight-up kill you for no reason whatsoever and in 99.99% of all cases they'll face absolutely no repercussions whatsoever outside of some rubber-stamp review board or a "trial" with a completely foregone conclusion that leads to a "bad boy" letter and a week or two of desk work before being rearmed and sent back out to "Extort and Terrorize" "Protect and Serve."

A good start would be to wire every single cop in the loving country with a camera and mic that records constantly and require all tape to be reviewed at regular intervals by groups of citizens completely unconnected with law enforcement. At the end of the review said group would vote on whether that officer is worthy of their badge and gun. There is currently a complete and total disconnect between the police and the people being policed and frankly that's a terrible, and terribly dangerous, state of affairs.

• Locked thread