Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

I've found a few different things that people have said are supposed to be in the ini and I have no idea which is right.
Which is right?
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB= <default heap initial allocation size in megabytes, vanilla size is 512>
ScrapHeapSizeMB= <scrap heap size in megabytes, vanilla size is 256>
For some reason (*cough*crappycoding*cough*) Skyrim is really bad at reserving new memory when the blocks it already reserved when the game launched are full. When the game attempts to do this, the result is generally crashing, freezing and infinite loading screens.
If you're getting those issues, this tweak can help. What this does is force to game to allocate a bigger block of memory when it boots, thus preventing the need for the game to attempt to reserve a new block of memory while the game is running and fail miserably in the process.
These values should be good for almost all setups:
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is "desired value + 256". So now the game will reserve 512mb & 256mb, instead of 2x 256mb blocks on launch.
Be carefull about increasing these values willy nilly. There's no need to for the game to allocate a much larger block then it needs and doing so can cause crashes. If you're still running out of memory, use this skse plugin to find out how big of block your modded setup needs.
Also if DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is less than 1024 then ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 256. If DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is 1024 or greater ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 512 or the game will crash on start.

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
This function attempts to remove orphaned OnUpdate and OnUpdateGameTime events left behind after you removed a script from a save. It can also be called via the console command ClearInvalidRegistrations. Enabling it via the .ini executes the command automatically on each reload.
Note that if you want to remove a script heavy mod, then unless the mod creator has setup an uninstal process for you to follow, it's best to either start a new game or revert back to an old save from before you installed the mod.
If you really must keep the save, you can enable this function to see if it fixes the savebloat issues that can happen
after removing a script heavy mod. Otherwise you can leave it disabled.

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=<value>
Default value is 256. Allows you to change the size of the dynamically built tint textures. Meaning warpaint, lips and other textures on character's faces. If you're using high-res mods of those texture, you'll probably want to change this value.

[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1
This has SKSE write a minidump in <My Documents>\My Games\Skyrim\SKSE\Minidumps when the game crashes. Unless you know how to read minidumps there's no point to enabling it.

[Loader]
RuntimeName=TESV.exe
This allows you to set the SKSE loader to boot a different executable. The only use for this that I can think of, is if you want to launch Skyrim+SKSE from your steam library, but you don't want to add the skse_loader.exe as a non-steam game.

[Interface]
EnableContainerCategorization=1
This enables item catagories in the container interface. If you're using SkyUI you can ignore this as it comes with a SKSE plugin that does the same thing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I saw an article about this mod on a video games website but didn't see anything in the OP:

RealVision ENB http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260dhPHk_yc&hd=1

Has anyone tried this? I'll soon be playing Skyrim for the first time and was wondering if this was worth setting up, the install instructions make it seem like a somewhat lengthy process.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I saw an article about this mod on a video games website but didn't see anything in the OP:

Has anyone tried this? I'll soon be playing Skyrim for the first time and was wondering if this was worth setting up, the install instructions make it seem like a somewhat lengthy process.

I used an older version not too long ago. Its not hard to set up. Keep in mind though it probably won't look exactly like the screenshots/videos. The people who make these ENB have crazy quad-sli setups if the posters on the ENB forums are any indication. I sure as heck can't ever get the game to look like their pictures do anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, really giving ENB the beans is practically you throwing frames-per-second at the game, shouting "PRETTIER! PRETTIERRRRRR!!" until it obliges.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Trip report: A guy has been complaining that asis has been adding the perk reflect blows to enemies despite them not having 100 heavy armor skill and him putting it in the perk exclusions list. I finally got on his twitch to walk him through troubleshooting and discovered he was playing as a boobtacular hourglass shaped girl with hilarious jiggle physics wearing armor that consisted of plate chaps, shoulder pads, gloves, and pasties and an anime as gently caress sword with an idle animation of caressing her boob.

Turns out some OBIS bandits have reflect blows even without ASIS.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

LtSmash posted:

he was playing as a boobtacular hourglass shaped girl with hilarious jiggle physics wearing armor that consisted of plate chaps, shoulder pads, gloves, and pasties and an anime as gently caress sword with an idle animation of caressing her boob.

Sorry, that's an :ohdear: bandit.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Raygereio posted:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB= <default heap initial allocation size in megabytes, vanilla size is 512>
ScrapHeapSizeMB= <scrap heap size in megabytes, vanilla size is 256>
For some reason (*cough*crappycoding*cough*) Skyrim is really bad at reserving new memory when the blocks it already reserved when the game launched are full. When the game attempts to do this, the result is generally crashing, freezing and infinite loading screens.
If you're getting those issues, this tweak can help. What this does is force to game to allocate a bigger block of memory when it boots, thus preventing the need for the game to attempt to reserve a new block of memory while the game is running and fail miserably in the process.
These values should be good for almost all setups:
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is "desired value + 256". So now the game will reserve 512mb & 256mb, instead of 2x 256mb blocks on launch.
Be carefull about increasing these values willy nilly. There's no need to for the game to allocate a much larger block then it needs and doing so can cause crashes. If you're still running out of memory, use this skse plugin to find out how big of block your modded setup needs.

Does this work in the 1.6.16 build or only in the alpha build? Also, these values seem to exceed to power of my GPU (512MB), will this be an issue?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Please play skyrim unmodded the first time around. Mod it after you have two hundred hours, it is a fine game.

E: Also my experience with ENB has been that all the ENB presets use crazy DoF effects which makes everything blurry as poo poo unless it's a foot in front of your face.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Does this work in the 1.6.16 build or only in the alpha build? Also, these values seem to exceed to power of my GPU (512MB), will this be an issue?

Memory settings are the alpha only. Its system memory not gpu memory. Also if DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is less than 1024 then ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 256. If DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is 1024 or greater ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 512 or the game will crash on start.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Does anyone know of any good evil light armor mods? I've seen the Evil Mastermind set but it's a bit too "calculating sociopath" for the character I'm thinking. I'm hoping for something more "vengeful berserk button psychopath". Anyone know of anything?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Updating the CTD problem, I've installed the alpha of SKSE and was using the Memory Block plugin to chart what numbers I would need (still unmodded thusfar, so expected somewhere close to vanilla or recommended earlier). However, after experiencing a CTD while trying to exit an area, I checked back in the log and found that while the initial blocks were reserved for both at 256MB, the highest block A got to before the crash was 151MB (Block 2 reaching 69MB).

So maybe a memory issue isn't to blame here? What other ways can I deduce what is making me CTD?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Updating the CTD problem, I've installed the alpha of SKSE and was using the Memory Block plugin to chart what numbers I would need (still unmodded thusfar, so expected somewhere close to vanilla or recommended earlier). However, after experiencing a CTD while trying to exit an area, I checked back in the log and found that while the initial blocks were reserved for both at 256MB, the highest block A got to before the crash was 151MB (Block 2 reaching 69MB).

So maybe a memory issue isn't to blame here? What other ways can I deduce what is making me CTD?

CTDs are exceedingly hard to pin down. The vanilla game will crash on its own from time to time and basically any kind of mod can make the game crash if they are broken or conflict with other mods. There are no crash logs. Have you cleaned your dlc and any plugins that boss/loot tell you to? Pastebin your load order and link it. Are your drivers etc up to date?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Drivers are up to date, as far as I know. And I have no sort order besides Skyrim.esm and Update.esm, the latter of which reported two dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. I went and got TES5edit and checked both for errors and got a big rear end list, I'm going to do another test run with this.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I wanna play some skyrim but I got bored of vanilla ages ago, are there any good modpacks i can download and forget about. I cba with dealing with load order and conflicts and poo poo and I don't even really know what I want from a mod.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LtSmash posted:

CTDs are exceedingly hard to pin down. The vanilla game will crash on its own from time to time and basically any kind of mod can make the game crash if they are broken or conflict with other mods. There are no crash logs. Have you cleaned your dlc and any plugins that boss/loot tell you to? Pastebin your load order and link it. Are your drivers etc up to date?

I've had good luck with Papyrus with CTDs.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Hog Butcher posted:

I've had good luck with Papyrus with CTDs.

If a script causes a crash skyrim will exit before the error is written to the papyrus log. So the only way you will get it logged is if there is a non-fatal error in the same script before the fatal one. Non-script crashes won't ever show up in the papyrus log but might happen to coincide with a script error.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

YOURFRIEND posted:

Please play skyrim unmodded the first time around. Mod it after you have two hundred hours, it is a fine game.

E: Also my experience with ENB has been that all the ENB presets use crazy DoF effects which makes everything blurry as poo poo unless it's a foot in front of your face.

It's easy to turn DoF off and tweak the other settings to your liking. I'm using realvision enb with DoF off and saturation turned down a bit and it looks so god drat good. You don't need an insane setup either. I have a 2gb graphics card and an I5 and I get 35 fps outdoors, 45 indoors which is plently playable, espcially considering how pretty it is. That's about 15 less to make the game look awesome and I have some other texture mods and environment/foliage stuff going on too. Since I installed it I think the only time I've fast traveled is when I've had to go to High Hrothgar again because I just want to look at everything as I'm walking around.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 27, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Which GPU do you have and do you mind sharing your settings / config files?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The author of the TK series of mods (TK Dodge, TK Hitstop) just released a Dragon Combat mod

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Which GPU do you have and do you mind sharing your settings / config files?

It's a gigabyte amd radeon HD7870 oc version. I'm using the realistic lighting version of realvision enb. The only things I changed in my configs from the default realvision enb gives are EnableDepthOfField to false in enbseries.ini and #define saturation to -.3 in sweetfx_settings.txt because I thought there was too much. You also have to change #define use_tonemap to 1 in sweetfx_settings.txt to do that. They're both in the skyrim game folder. Depth of Field was actually like a 5 fps hit for me and I don't like it anyway unless maybe I want to take a screenshot sometime, in which case I can always turn it back on.

The enb gives you an in game menu you can use adjust things further and check them out in game before you change it too.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 27, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

YOURFRIEND posted:

I just bought Skyrim off the Steam Summer sale and am using Realvision ENB. I agree that I didn't enjoy the DoF effect in it. Not sure I enjoy DoF effects in general, I know it's technically more realistic since one would presume your character doesn't have some mutant hawk vision, but I enjoy looking into the distance and seeing a fully animated cloud going through a 4k textured mountain as my VRAM cries, first game I've played where I can say the 2GB on my GTX 770 was a limiting factor in performance.

Oh boy, people weren't kidding about Skyrim mods being a rabbit hole. Ran a little bit of vanilla, then installed the patches. Then I installed Skyrim HD. Then Realvision ENB. Now I'm downloading stuff like texture mods for rugs and potion bottles. I'll eventually play the game.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Oh boy, people weren't kidding about Skyrim mods being a rabbit hole. Ran a little bit of vanilla, then installed the patches. Then I installed Skyrim HD. Then Realvision ENB. Now I'm downloading stuff like texture mods for rugs and potion bottles. I'll eventually play the game.

People actually play the game?!!?

I'm going to need to reevaluate my yearly Skyrim interest revival.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

TerminalBlue posted:

People actually play the game?!!?

I'm going to need to reevaluate my yearly Skyrim interest revival.

If you never play how do you know your setup is broken?

Trick question!

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for the comprehensive OP. I just picked Skyrim up during the Steam sale. Hopefully this will be easier to mod than Oblivion.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I just bought Skyrim off the Steam Summer sale and am using Realvision ENB. I agree that I didn't enjoy the DoF effect in it. Not sure I enjoy DoF effects in general, I know it's technically more realistic since one would presume your character doesn't have some mutant hawk vision, but I enjoy looking into the distance and seeing a fully animated butt going through a 4k textured mountain as my VRAM cries, first game I've played where I can say the 2GB on my GTX 770 was a limiting factor in performance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You aren't modding a game, modding is the game.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Agents are GO! posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You aren't modding a game, modding is the game.

How would you like to try my new 'write the ASIS wiki' dungeon?

im gay posted:

Thanks for the comprehensive OP. I just picked Skyrim up during the Steam sale. Hopefully this will be easier to mod than Oblivion.

Use Mod Organizer and at least install order stops being a thing. And then weep for full bashed patches.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

LtSmash posted:

If you never play how do you know your setup is broken?

Trick question!

I'll have you know that I at least run from Helgen to Riverwood before I consider everything to be working enough that it's time to install more mods!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash posted:

How would you like to try my new 'write the ASIS wiki' dungeon?

Does it really need a wiki?

I mean, I don't want to be a computer programmer, I just want to play games! (Yes, I am referring to that nexus comment from a while ago, it stuck in my mind with how utterly stupid it was.)

I'm seriously considering if it would be possible to port the mechanics of ASIS into the Oblivion-engine games, using a TESEdit patch in place of the patcher...

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Agents are GO! posted:

Does it really need a wiki?

I mean, I don't want to be a computer programmer, I just want to play games! (Yes, I am referring to that nexus comment from a while ago, it stuck in my mind with how utterly stupid it was.)

I'm seriously considering if it would be possible to port the mechanics of ASIS into the Oblivion-engine games, using a TESEdit patch in place of the patcher...

I'm tired of answering the same questions again and again. Of course nobody would read the wiki but at least it would be there.

An xEdit script to make a patch would be possible but it uses pascal-like syntax and I'm not sure you can define new data structures so it would be a beast to make something like ASIS in it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Eat poo poo guy ill mod this game for several hours before even hitting the new game button, you dont own me !!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Are there any mods that will let you hire guards for specific spots? Right outside Lakeview Manor, for instance. I guess something that allowed you to magically spawn a guard would be okay. Whatever gets them there. Typically telling a follower to wait outside that house would make them go inside and hang out so that's a no go.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cavauro posted:

Are there any mods that will let you hire guards for specific spots? Right outside Lakeview Manor, for instance. I guess something that allowed you to magically spawn a guard would be okay. Whatever gets them there. Typically telling a follower to wait outside that house would make them go inside and hang out so that's a no go.

Dwemer Certified works well for this purpose.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Using the "Wait" command in EFF should do this; however, I think you occasionally need to check in with them or they'll dismiss themselves. Using the "Relax" command will make them wander around.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Are there any mods for more/better character creation options (more hairstyles and so on) that aren't really creepy and/or overly anime (aside from what's in the OP)? Because looking through Nexus and some mod videos on Youtube was kind of terrifying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is there a mod for vanity clothing slots or something that does a similar job? Dark Souls has ruined me and now I have to have The Perfect Fashion when I'm running around murdering dudes.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Tried booting up with mods for the first time and Skyrim CTD. Whenever I try to open MO it gives me this:

Help!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Make sure your Skyrim is not in Program Files (x86). That can cause issues with MO. If it is, you can use a program like Steam mover to move it out, or use Steam's backup function to make a copy of Skyrim then delete the local files. Click on the backup to reinstall to a different location without having to download it all again.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
So I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a mod out there that allows you to get to the Word Walls that are stuck behind Guild quests without having to join that guild? Like getting one of the words for Fire Breath requires joining The Companions, Ice Form from the College, etc. I don't really want to use that bat shout mod that just gives you everything through the console but I also don't want to join every drat guild for the words.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I made this awhile back: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37222/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did the Best Friend perk in SPERG change recently to remove some of the options? I just did a big Skyrim reinstall and I could have sworn Netch Calves and Death dogs used to be on the list.

Also trying to change a Best Friend's species in the creation kit is miserable. I got a (mostly) functioning Chaurrus after about 8 hours once. Made me really respect how much work and testing goes into these mods.

• Locked thread