Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So when the ball is over the line, players can't reach over to kick it back in play a la Dennis Rodman flying into the stands?

The play in question was in today's Brazil Chile game. The ball wasn't egregiously over the line. It was a slow, high bounce and both players were in position to gain control of it, but the Brazilian simply grabbed it out the air and proceeded with the throw in as if it touched the ground out of bounds.

I'd have to see this incident because if the ball isnt out of play and somebody grabs i before it is then thats a handball. Considering nobody has said anything anywhere else I think you mis-saw it.

I think the ball probably did cross the line, and the linesman flagged for a brazil throw in, out of camera shot but visible to the player.

You can't kick a ball back into play when it goes out of bounds on either side of the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pissflaps posted:

I'd have to see this incident because if the ball isnt out of play and somebody grabs i before it is then thats a handball. Considering nobody has said anything anywhere else I think you mis-saw it.

I think the ball probably did cross the line, and the linesman flagged for a brazil throw in, out of camera shot but visible to the player.

You can't kick a ball back into play when it goes out of bounds on either side of the pitch.

He's confused, I think in basketball as long as the player or the ball don't touch the ground then you can throw a ball that is clearly over the line back in.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah, American sports are much more concerned with ground contact and player position than ball position. My mom was always confused on why players could just run outside the lines in an attempt to keep the ball in. But most american sports have the player in control of the ball more often.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
it's the same in rugby as well, but in football the ball is out when it's over the line regardless of its height at that point.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
When do players have time to practice as a team for their international team? Or rather how do they split time with their respective clubs vs international?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

How come Chicharito comes off the bench for Mexico when he's good enough to play for Man U? Is the experience of the guys who start at his position that much more important than his raw talent and scoring ability?

He was pretty much fourth-choice for United last season, behind Van Persie, Rooney and Welbeck. He only got six league starts all year, and that was with Van Persie out for a good chunk of the season.

On the other hand, Mexico are hot garbage, so take that for what you will.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Blitz7x posted:

When do players have time to practice as a team for their international team? Or rather how do they split time with their respective clubs vs international?

There's normally six or so FIFA-approved international breaks each year, where clubs are (officially) obliged to let players go if they're fit. Those weeks will then be used for qualifying matches for either the World Cup or the regional tournament (Euro 2016, Copa America etc), or for friendly (i.e. exhibition) games that can either be used as practice games or just as awful revenue-generating devices. Hence why Brazil no longer play their friendly games in Brazil.

There's also the month of so before the World Cup where the team will train together and probably play 3-4 friendly games as a warm-up.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I wasn't alive in 1970. I wouldn't be born for 15 more years.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

not sure how relevant this info is but thanks for sharing

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

It's okay.

Nobody has actually seen Pele, Cruyff or Best play, let alone Matthews or Puskas.

Just pick whichever one you think was prettiest and say he was the best of all time. Angrily belittle people who say Ronaldo or Zidane as being "90's kids". You're a big-time pundit, now, son.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

stickyfngrdboy posted:

not sure how relevant this info is but thanks for sharing

lol I'm pretty sure he posted in the wrong thread as I had just mentioned World Cup 1970 in there, which this World Cup is shaping up to be better than.

For new fans: The Brazil 1970 side is widely considered the finest team of all time

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

On the other hand, if you want to be a top, top contrarian like me, why not say Matthias Sindelar?

It'll send people mental, since the whole endeavour is so entirely subjective as to be largely meaningless beyond personal favourites

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Finn posted:

lol I'm pretty sure he posted in the wrong thread as I had just mentioned World Cup 1970 in there, which this World Cup is shaping up to be better than.

For new fans: The Brazil 1970 side is widely considered the finest team of all time

Whoops. gently caress me.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

it's the same in rugby as well, but in football the ball is out when it's over the line regardless of its height at that point.

For example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/25067747

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

There's normally six or so FIFA-approved international breaks each year, where clubs are (officially) obliged to let players go if they're fit. Those weeks will then be used for qualifying matches for either the World Cup or the regional tournament (Euro 2016, Copa America etc), or for friendly (i.e. exhibition) games that can either be used as practice games or just as awful revenue-generating devices. Hence why Brazil no longer play their friendly games in Brazil.

There's also the month of so before the World Cup where the team will train together and probably play 3-4 friendly games as a warm-up.

Are there clauses in contracts that protect the player/club in case of catastrophic injury that may occur in non-club activities?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Are there clauses in contracts that protect the player/club in case of catastrophic injury that may occur in non-club activities?

lol no and this is a hotly debated issue

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Please dont bring this up it was heartbreaking

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

The Finn posted:

holy poo poo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've always assumed that clubs take out insurance against players getting career ending injuries but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
stefan schwarz's contract stopped him from going to space it's a loving disgrace

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

holy poo poo

International breaks that happen during the season are nerve wracking times, you hope your club's best players come back uninjured. There are also often club v country confrontations where the club insist a player is hurt and ask for them not to be called up and they are anyway, etc

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've always assumed that clubs take out insurance against players getting career ending injuries but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure they do and I think one of the issues is that insurance doesn't (or didn't) pay out if the injury happened on international duty. Idk where that info got to me so it may not be accurate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You can get insured against any eventuality if you negotiate the right policy idk why there'd be a blanket ban on international injuries paying out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Finn posted:

Fifa and the FA are actually supposed to pay the players wages they return to a club with an injury picked up while on international duty. See: Owen, Michael.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Please pardon this brief interruption. I'm taking the slow route through grad school (one class at a time). Currently I'm in a class on internet mapping platforms, and the first lab deals with using some Google tools. I need a minimum of 50 entries and although I could just make up the data I'm going with a simple World Cup viewing survey. It's 4 questions long, I'd be ecstatic if any of you would be kind enough to respond. I'm hoping to get a pretty vast geographic return so I'm bugging you guys about it.

http://bit.ly/1mrK4xQ

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

pretty sure there is, I remember when Michael Owen got injured on england duty while he was at newcastle and there was some talk about the insurance covering his wages while he was out.

e/ god drat it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Please dont bring this up it was heartbreaking

You've misspelled hilarious there.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Very casual fan here but the first world cup I saw that got me interested in the sport was 1994 and I remember being in awe of the skill of the Brazil team that year. In comparison to other World Cup teams over the years, how good was that 94 Brazil team?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

bryn987 posted:

Very casual fan here but the first world cup I saw that got me interested in the sport was 1994 and I remember being in awe of the skill of the Brazil team that year. In comparison to other World Cup teams over the years, how good was that 94 Brazil team?

Not that good. Romįrio is easily one of the best players of all time and was perhaps at his peak there, so he could single-handledly win games like it ain't no thang (and he did). Other than that, it obviously included other notable, very good players such as Taffarel, Aldair, Mauro Silva and Bebeto, but it doesn't rank among the best teams fielded even by Brazil, not to mention top teams from all the other countries. Overall, it was effective, but didn't play beautiful football.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 29, 2014

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

The Finn posted:

FIFA pays the players salaries if the injury lasts longer than a month.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bryn987 posted:

Not even Brazilians themselves liked that team because instead of winning the World Cup by playing attractive attacking samba football they won it by playing slowly and defensively and countering the opposition. Dunga was one of the key players in that team and the captain, and he was a very boring defensive midfielder.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Spurs had some issues with insurance for Cudicini iirc because he injured himself in a motorbike crash which his insurance didn't cover as its a dangerous activity and they were thinking of just cancelling his contract

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Not even Brazilians themselves liked that team because instead of winning the World Cup by playing attractive attacking samba football they won it by playing slowly and defensively and countering the opposition. Dunga was one of the key players in that team and the captain, and he was a very boring defensive midfielder.

See also, 2002 and present day. Brazil seem to play their best football when they aren't winning world cups (in recent history anyway)

I think Fat Ronaldo scored about 8 goals in 2002. But I still remember they weren't exactly playing attacking football.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Fat Ronaldo would have scored 15 goals playing for Greece in 2004 tbf

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

See also, 2002 and present day. Brazil seem to play their best football when they aren't winning world cups (in recent history anyway)

I think Fat Ronaldo scored about 8 goals in 2002. But I still remember they weren't exactly playing attacking football.

you remember wrong

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Mash posted:

Fat Ronaldo would have scored 15 goals playing for Greece in 2004 tbf

Fat Ronaldo was an amazing player

It's a shame he's now only remembered as "Fat" Ronaldo

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DOOP posted:

He's only remembered as 'fat Ronaldo' by idiots, op.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DOOP posted:

People don't actually remember him as Fat Ronaldo, that's just a funny way to refer to one of the best strikers in the history of football, and an easy way to distinguish him from the guy most people will immediately think of if you just write Ronaldo. Ten years from now, when CRonaldo has retired and there's some new guy named Fabio Ronaldo or whatever, Cristiano will be referred to by some other name as well, just for clarification.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How does Ochoa not have a club?

How did he not sign with a club when his last contract ended?

Obv, dude is gonna get PAIIIDDDD now, but it just seems strange that a world cup caliber keeper would be club-less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

BlueBayou posted:

How does Ochoa not have a club?

How did he not sign with a club when his last contract ended?

Obv, dude is gonna get PAIIIDDDD now, but it just seems strange that a world cup caliber keeper would be club-less

Contract ended this summer, technically he is still Ajaccio's player for like 2 days?

He is probably doing what lots of footballers do - keep their options open till the world cup is over. Perfect place for mediocre players to shine, like Ochoa.

• Locked thread