Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just finished watching the 2nd episode of the 2nd season of Derek. I thought I would give it a go because, in between the coldplay backed black-and-white montages of days yore and other tooth-grinding mawkishness, it did make me laugh.

Alas, Gervais seems to have doubled down on the schmaltz. The spectacle of some banking big-shot having his world turned upside down by the piercingly innocent questions of Derek the autist/ascetic/monk/prophet was bad enough but it was out done not five minutes later when said banker redeems himself by playing pretend fishing in the garden with his grandad while Derek loving hovers in the background and literally pulls a Jeremiah Johnson nod of approval.

I've always liked, in the Office and in Extras, the way that Gervais injected a wee bit of sentiment to dull the caustic edge of his comedy, but he's gone off the bloody deep end now. I am wondering if it is because Merchant isnt around this time to tell him that, no, there really isnt any need for Coldplay to run in the background for five minutes and that, no, actually, lets not focus the camera on Derek in the background as he sanctifies redeemed banker-man.

Its loving bizarre and HORRIBLE telly.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It's easier to understand if you realise that Merchant is Morecambe to Gervais' Wise.

Martin Freeman is Angela Rippon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hello Brit thread. Is anyone in here planning on making a separate thread for Utopia series 2? It's a fantastic show and I think it could use more exposure across tviv in general.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Hello Brit thread. Is anyone in here planning on making a separate thread for Utopia series 2? It's a fantastic show and I think it could use more exposure across tviv in general.

On that note, here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUifSmm2vc

The music is great, colours look great, and Lee is great.

Looks great.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Why am I watching BBC3's Glastonbury coverage? It's appalling. I'm also apparently an old man who doesn't know any modern music and hates it all.

There's someone on at the moment called John Newman, who seems be a butlins redcoat who has eeked out a career as an M People tribute act.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Utopia thread here.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Why am I watching BBC3's Glastonbury coverage? It's appalling. I'm also apparently an old man who doesn't know any modern music and hates it all.

There's someone on at the moment called John Newman, who seems be a butlins redcoat who has eeked out a career as an M People tribute act.

I'm an old man so I can't be arsed with bbc 3 but elbow are on bbc 4 at 9 and you should watch it

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah BBC4 have Blondie on just now and they're much, much better. Playing Rapture now, are we going to see an elderly Debbie Harry rapping?

Edit: Yes we are.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
itv 2 has "educating joey essex" and then "white chicks" so now i know what tv station they have on at guantanamo bay.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I'm old enough to hate all new acts, but too young to get bleary eyed at Elbow's sepia-tinged bullshit. Glasto and the BBC have failed me once again.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Al2001 posted:

I'm old enough to hate all new acts, but too young to get bleary eyed at Elbow's sepia-tinged bullshit. Glasto and the BBC have failed me once again.

I like some of the new acts I just hate the presenters on bbc3. I love elbow though and especially their sepia-tinged bollocks about growing up and smoking cigs and drinking and stuff. Love it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I like some of the new acts I just hate the presenters on bbc3. I love elbow though and especially their sepia-tinged bollocks about growing up and smoking cigs and drinking and stuff. Love it.

You know who else likes smoking cigs and drinking and stuff? Nick Grimshaw! Oh yeah, good ol' Grimmy. He's a proper North London lad ain't he? See, he's been out on the razz with the Mumford boys? Cor, he's just like you! Love a bit of Grimmy. Go on, love a bit of Grimmy. Please?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Rarity posted:

You know who else likes smoking cigs and drinking and stuff? Nick Grimshaw! Oh yeah, good ol' Grimmy. He's a proper North London lad ain't he? See, he's been out on the razz with the Mumford boys? Cor, he's just like you! Love a bit of Grimmy. Go on, love a bit of Grimmy. Please?

Grimmy? Youre going to be astounded by this but I dont find him attractive and think he's got a annoying voice.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Grimmy is a oval office who never got over that 'LOL im better than Moyles cause I got his show lolz' poo poo.
I was born in '72, im 42, I am OLD, love new music, love old music love all types to be honest, but to be frank, seeing very old coked up Debbie Harry was very saddening.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I like some of the new acts I just hate the presenters on bbc3.

Oh God yeah. Maybe the beeb will let Adam & Joe do it again now that Rolf Harris is definitively no longer a national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyOwQuaMp5c

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm sure Adam would jump at the chance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I miss Adam and Joe. I hope Joe's film work continues to go nowhere so he will come back to us.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Grimmy is a oval office who never got over that 'LOL im better than Moyles cause I got his show lolz' poo poo.

Wrong mate, "Grimmy" was a oval office years back when E4 was a music station during the day and he was nobbin it up and annoying me while I was trying to survive a hangover or just wake up...

Grimmy oval office 4 lyfe

In happier news I finally got round to watching Utopia this week and bugger me that's a good show.
Daft as all gently caress but good.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 28, 2014

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Despite its flaws, BBC glasto coverage continues to deliver drunk Jo Whiley and her sometimes-pilled-up accomplice. That is alright in my book.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grimmy Delenda Est.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Ponce de Le0n posted:

itv 2 has "educating joey essex" and then "white chicks" so now i know what tv station they have on at guantanamo bay.

White Chicks is the greatest movie of all time. Take it back!!!!

I never watch any Glasto footage - I too dislike the presenters!

I'll watch the highlights which maximizes the music and minimizes the presenters.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just wrapped up the first season of Big Finish's Survivors, and I will definitely say it's bleak and not a "happy apocalypse" series. Very well done in terms of acting and audio production, it definitely nails the first season of the 1970's show in terms of "anyone can die."

It's also nice because with the audio format what you can do isn't limited by budget, so you're not running around the same English countryside all season. "Rolling English hillsides" are quickly becoming my new "Welsh quarries" when I watch some BBC shows from that era.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

CobiWann posted:

I just wrapped up the first season of Big Finish's Survivors, and I will definitely say it's bleak and not a "happy apocalypse" series. Very well done in terms of acting and audio production, it definitely nails the first season of the 1970's show in terms of "anyone can die."

It's also nice because with the audio format what you can do isn't limited by budget, so you're not running around the same English countryside all season. "Rolling English hillsides" are quickly becoming my new "Welsh quarries" when I watch some BBC shows from that era.

I might give that a listen as I'm a big fan of the original TV series. I wonder if it'll be as bleak as the novel, where Abby eventually finds her son only for him to shoot and kill her without even a flicker of recognition.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Lets just not talk about Grimshaw until Three shuts down and we never hear from him again.

If you're quick Adam and Joe's 50 Greatest Magic Tricks is on Watch. Adam all smooth-faced abd Derren Brown with less forehead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's something I dislike about Gold's Rik Mayall tribute showings of Bottom being sponsored by Mrs Brown's Boys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's something I dislike about Gold's Rik Mayall tribute showings of Bottom being sponsored by Mrs Brown's Boys.

Well that is even more depressing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

I miss Adam and Joe. I hope Joe's film work continues to go nowhere so he will come back to us.

Adam and Joe are the greatest, funniest, most underrated dudes, and they should both be prime minister or something.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well that is even more depressing.

Surprisingly the movie is a stinker.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Surely there's no better place for Mrs Brown's Boys to be placed than right next to a bottom?

I like that they aired both episodes of Bottom pretty much ad-free.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

Surprisingly the movie is a stinker.

It is a pretty lovely movie and it was the start of the end of their career sadly. The live shows are superior in every way.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Flatscan posted:

I might give that a listen as I'm a big fan of the original TV series. I wonder if it'll be as bleak as the novel, where Abby eventually finds her son only for him to shoot and kill her without even a flicker of recognition.

You would definitely like it then - episode 2 has a brief cameo by a character from the 1970's series and episode 3 firmly has some characters take center stage after the TV episode Something of Value.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

For those of you that don't have it on VHS, they're repeating Edge of Darkness tonight at 10 on BBC 4. It's a 1985 mini-series about a detective mooching around London, investigating a murder that sprawls out and piles mystery on top of mystery. Should whet your appetite for the Blick drama on Thursday, if you like that sort of thing.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The news about Rolf Harris is genuinely upsetting me

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The oft repeated line of him being a real Jekyll and Hyde kind of character is really disturbing. It just goes to show that even the most comforting and cheerful personality can hide something very dark indeed. Of course to cheer you up a bit, it also goes to show that even the most miserable bastard could have a heart of gold.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What did I miss about rolf harris?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Crankit posted:

What did I miss about rolf harris?

He's a diddler.

Its the end of days, expect Noel Edmonds to be next

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Taff posted:

He's a diddler.

It'll be Chuckle Brothers, mark my word.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I met them when I was a child. I don't think I was diddled... :(

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I think I was standing next to adam buxton when was at glasto when I saw the pixies

dude was smoking a joint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taff posted:

I expect he is more of a Patrick Bateman type of character underneath.