Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Commodore 64 posted:

Fixed that.

My bad on the typo; Sirotan. We have the 6430u; Dells Latitude ultrabook.

It doesn't have the ePort on the bottom, but the new e7440 has ePort and WiGig.

Oh, sorry yeah I guess I missed that the first time you mentioned it in your post too. I suppose that makes more sense in a way. But still dumb to not just buy a laptop with docking capacity in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

So if your machine is docked, then you're using two PSUs at the same time if you won't want your laptop's battery to run down?

Yup.

Plus the third PSU in your laptop bag that you leave there in case you need to do a presentation.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just found out a dev team is rolling out a new VM deployment platform that will allow them to create CPU and memory reservations if they want.

Kill me.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Our company has an instituted a code metric policy that 70% of the code must be covered by unit tests. Predictability this has lead to my team writing useless test cases of getters, setters, equals (machine generate), and has code (also machine generated). What is not being covered? Unhappy paths, exception handling, the real code that does the bulk of the work!

In addition, if you are like me and like to test the unhappy paths or exception handling because that is where the interesting stuff happens, do to another policy, you can't actually get the dependency (Powermock in this case).

I swear this job is trying to turn me into an alcoholic.

Now I get to try to tell me coworker (who has a senior label, while I am just a dev), why I just disabled all his test cases (they required connectivity to other systems).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So I work (as a fulltimer) for one of the major services companies, and I'm like two steps away from jumping out a window.

I do crisis management and triage, which is a weird position. Half of my responsibilities are ticket monkey stuff like following up with alarms and all that, and the other half is actually running crises that have huge price tags attached to them. The crisis management stuff is actually kind of interesting - being able to contribute to ending incidents with huge sums of money attached is a great feeling and some of them are mentally engaging and pretty rad.

The other half of my job is driving me up a goddamn wall. I spent most of my day reminding devops folks that their monitoring sucks and doing boring, rote ticket bullshit. There's a whole lot of awesome decisions and all that going on here, but my career growth is loving dead. It's been four years here and while I'm a lead, there's nowhere else for me to go, and it's looking like there's nowhere else like this internal to the company either. Everyone's looking for developers and we're slammed busy. On top of that, my engineering skills are pretty lame too. I'm pretty much resigned to leaving and taking a massive pay cut to find mentally engaging work. Debating going back into networking, although the thought of the CCNA makes me want to jump out a window by itself.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Six weeks. It took six weeks for a bloody motherboard replacement on a brand new Lenovo W540. I should have insisted they swap the system out, but :effort:. The onsite tech is this hilarious old dude.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 27, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HFX posted:

In addition, if you are like me and like to test the unhappy paths or exception handling because that is where the interesting stuff happens, do to another policy, you can't actually get the dependency (Powermock in this case).

I'm a little confused by your wording and apparent jump in contexts here. Are you saying that you can't use a third party library because it would have to be covered by unit tests in order for you not to fall below the 70% metric?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What kind of monster designed this keyboard? I have to double check every time I Ctrl+alt+delete.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haha, poo poo. I'd pop that bottom row out with a screwdriver as soon as I saw that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Er, nevermind, the problem was with the position of the delete key, not ctrl and alt. :downs:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hell even on modern computers, I can't imagine why "shut down" is even a thing this button can say, and I believe it's even the default, whose idea was that?

Oops, I missed that 30x30 arrow, guess I'm rebooting.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

I'm a little confused by your wording and apparent jump in contexts here. Are you saying that you can't use a third party library because it would have to be covered by unit tests in order for you not to fall below the 70% metric?

Sorry. We now have another new requirement that all our libraries must be pre-approved. This process so far has taken longer then 6 weeks. In my specific case, I want to use a particular library called Powermock. It gives me the ability to individually test my private methods and throw exceptions at any point. Thus, I could more easily test the important bits of code such as non happy path and make that 70% metric actually mean something.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HFX posted:

Sorry. We now have another new requirement that all our libraries must be pre-approved. This process so far has taken longer then 6 weeks. In my specific case, I want to use a particular library called Powermock. It gives me the ability to individually test my private methods and throw exceptions at any point. Thus, I could more easily test the important bits of code such as non happy path and make that 70% metric actually mean something.

Ah, okay, that makes more sense (I mean, your story makes sense. Their policy still makes no practical sense).

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hell even on modern computers, I can't imagine why "shut down" is even a thing this button can say, and I believe it's even the default, whose idea was that?

Oops, I missed that 30x30 arrow, guess I'm rebooting.

GPO'ed the default to log off after the 50th user hit shut down instead of log off like I asked them to.

Now we have a problem with users leaving their computers on for way too long :v:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Er, nevermind, the problem was with the position of the delete key, not ctrl and alt. :downs:

Backslash is in the wrong place too. Ain't no need for that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

hihifellow posted:

GPO'ed the default to log off after the 50th user hit shut down instead of log off like I asked them to.

Now we have a problem with users leaving their computers on for way too long :v:

You can also remove their ability to shutdown all together and only choose restart or log off I believe.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

spog posted:

Our Toshiba docks need the same PSU as the laptop.

But they don't charge the laptop.

Would they happen to be Dynadocks? We use them and its jokes that they don't charge the laptop they're connected to, they're also a bit of an eye sore when you have VGA > DVI adapters on the back making them a bit too big.

Also the world of business astounds me, probably about 80% of everything never goes to plan and I wonder how anything actually gets done. I got a health check report from our remote IT who come in every couple months for a sweep, and my boss wants a full ETA of the work and costs behind it followed by a meeting; after I explained that two things flagged up are just windows updates for both the servers, a group policy issue for one user on the terminal server which no one uses anymore, and an activesync issue for one user. I mean really, it shouldn't be more than a couple hours at most if cost is that big of an issue, whereas its totally fine to order in a ton of over expensive plants and TREES for the office... which are starting to attract flies up on the 25th floor of a tower. :gonk:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I got requests for customer satisfaction surveys from Cisco for the tickets I put in earlier this week. My entire team came over to look at them and we all began laughing our asses off. I spent about 30 minutes making GBS threads all over the engineers and their pathetic excuse for service and gave them mostly zeroes, with a couple "no opinion" thrown in, then wrote out in explicit detail exactly how they screwed the pooch with us. Basically told them that the "Act of God" bullshit line was no excuse for blindly following a script to the exclusion of common sense or reading comprehension, and that before they start spouting that poo poo they should probably take a look at the service agreement of the customer.

Doubt if it will make any difference, but at the least I got to vent my spleen a bit.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

HFX posted:

I'd understand this if the policy only covered libraries that are shipped with your binary packages.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
They're just going to read that survey and take it as, "Our service wasn't that bad this guy is just insufferable." Sorry, that's just how I'd take a survey that was filled out like that.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Doubt if it will make any difference, but at the least I got to vent my spleen a bit.

Those outsourced engineers live and die by those metrics, you probably ruined their year by sending that back. And good loving riddance. I hate those assholes who pull that kind of poo poo.

GOOCHY posted:

They're just going to read that survey and take it as, "Our service wasn't that bad this guy is just insufferable." Sorry, that's just how I'd take a survey that was filled out like that.

Yeah, but you're not middle management at a BPOs in india who has to justify every single negative thing your herd of money making 'engineers' manages to generate. poo poo floweth down from on high, and passeth down to the lowest rung.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I got requests for customer satisfaction surveys from Cisco for the tickets I put in earlier this week. My entire team came over to look at them and we all began laughing our asses off. I spent about 30 minutes making GBS threads all over the engineers and their pathetic excuse for service and gave them mostly zeroes, with a couple "no opinion" thrown in, then wrote out in explicit detail exactly how they screwed the pooch with us. Basically told them that the "Act of God" bullshit line was no excuse for blindly following a script to the exclusion of common sense or reading comprehension, and that before they start spouting that poo poo they should probably take a look at the service agreement of the customer.

Am I the only one who doesn't get what you're trying to achieve here? If you have a problem with outsourced support you need to complain to your account manager that their support staff are clearly undertrained. All your survey is going to do is get some outsourced tech on a poverty wage fired and replaced with someone else to follow the same script and make the same mistakes.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
loving amateur hour at Pearson Vue. Let their regional support guy remote into a box on Thursday regarding their web cam in Internet Explorer for their certification testing this Saturday. After hours of loving around in vain doing, apparently, nothing, the remote guy called me on my cell. I ended up solving the problem for him in about ten minutes.

Part of that "nothing" was renaming the shared folder that the testing clients connect to. He named it "testing_old", copied down a new "testing" folder, then didn't share it. When nothing would connect at 7:30am this morning, nobody at Pearson would pick up their phones. The test administrators, who are in hot water from repeated failures like this one, decided to call me at my house. I basically did this for karma to save an idiot's job.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Scikar posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't get what you're trying to achieve here? If you have a problem with outsourced support you need to complain to your account manager that their support staff are clearly undertrained. All your survey is going to do is get some outsourced tech on a poverty wage fired and replaced with someone else to follow the same script and make the same mistakes.

I wasn't trying to accomplish anything other than indicate exactly how pissed off we were. Hell, my team leader told me to go ahead and light them up. This was the first time we have ever encountered this kind of push-back on a simple TAC request - every other engineer we've dealt with (Mexican, for the most part) has been helpful even while following their script. What it boils down to is that we pay a gently caress-ton of money every year as part of a service contract exactly so we don't have to fight with a company in this kind of situation.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I wasn't trying to accomplish anything other than indicate exactly how pissed off we were. Hell, my team leader told me to go ahead and light them up. This was the first time we have ever encountered this kind of push-back on a simple TAC request - every other engineer we've dealt with (Mexican, for the most part) has been helpful even while following their script. What it boils down to is that we pay a gently caress-ton of money every year as part of a service contract exactly so we don't have to fight with a company in this kind of situation.

My heart goes out to you, middle American department of defense employee, who only needed to clarify what company you work for in order to make an impoverished foreign man mutter "how high" when you wailed "jump" at his supervisor

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

death .cab for qt posted:

My heart goes out to you, middle American department of defense employee, who only needed to clarify what company you work for in order to make an impoverished foreign man mutter "how high" when you wailed "jump" at his supervisor

It's not that he works for the DoD, it's that they paid for a very expensive support contract, and an employee was too lazy to do anything but fob him off. Suddenly, when said employee finds out that sometimes that's a Very Bad Idea because the customer paid a cubic shitload of money for that to explicitly not happen, it's all apologies and kisses.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

death .cab for qt posted:

You don't get it. In these situations people at times just don't care who you are, how much money you paid for a contract, who you work for, etc. Sometimes, they are just lazy because that's "who" that particular person is. I deal with it EVERY day at work, from people in my own company. Their attitude is "screw it, I don't get paid much so I don't care". It's really irritating when you're just trying to get something done. If someone doesn't want to do their job, get out of the way for the person that will.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It's not that he works for the DoD, it's that they paid for a very expensive support contract, and an employee was too lazy to do anything but fob him off. Suddenly, when said employee finds out that sometimes that's a Very Bad Idea because the customer paid a cubic shitload of money for that to explicitly not happen, it's all apologies and kisses.

That's great - people make mistakes. There's a way to constructively and positively handle a situation like that and there's a way to handle it like a typical bigoted rear end in a top hat. Guess which example we saw in this topic?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooky posted:

That's great - people make mistakes. There's a way to constructively and positively handle a situation like that and there's a way to handle it like a typical bigoted rear end in a top hat. Guess which example we saw in this topic?

Maybe the default shouldn't be "find a reason to not help this client" and then when the client is super important there wouldn't be any room to make a mistake. Also, not sure where the "bigot" part comes from.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

Also, not sure where the "bigot" part comes from.
Probably because it sounds like he has a thing against Mexicans.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

How many people freaking out have actually worked in that kind of job, I wonder...

I have, and usually that much of a problem ends up in a review of process to try to make sure it doesn't happen again, since it usually is systemic instead of one lazy employee. If it is a singular case, then the employee needs to be coached/let go, but these situations are exactly what has led to the front line people being given more freedom to actually deviate from the script.

Or the contract being pulled from the outsourced company and given to either someone else, or brought back into a first world country.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
The ludicrous thing about the whole situation is the entire scenario could have been easily avoided had the original poster not made a rod for his own back out of it.

"Hi I've got 2 failed PSUs, I've confirmed via xyz testing. Please do the needful"

Assuming the repeat issue was a DoA part (I'm interested to know what it actually was)

"Oh it appears one (???) of these PSUs is DoA. I've confirmed this via xyz testing, please do the needful once again"

All the front-line support guy generally wants to do is cover his rear end for whatever metrics he needs to adhere to. It's absurd to assume the support guy is intentionally trying to deny you whatever support you're entitled to.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

Probably because it sounds like he has a thing against Mexicans.

Well, since he said that every other engineer (Mexican, for the most part), has been helpful, it sounds like the opposite of that to me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Is it bigoted if I cringe when I place a support phone call and it is picked up by an Indian call center? Is it still bigoted if I don't have any issues with people from India aside from dealing with non-local tech support? Is it still bigoted when the reason I cringe is because of the race to the bottom competition for contracts that goes on there? Just want to make sure.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

skooky posted:

The ludicrous thing about the whole situation is the entire scenario could have been easily avoided had the original poster not made a rod for his own back out of it.

"Hi I've got 2 failed PSUs, I've confirmed via xyz testing. Please do the needful"

Assuming the repeat issue was a DoA part (I'm interested to know what it actually was)

"Oh it appears one (???) of these PSUs is DoA. I've confirmed this via xyz testing, please do the needful once again"

All the front-line support guy generally wants to do is cover his rear end for whatever metrics he needs to adhere to. It's absurd to assume the support guy is intentionally trying to deny you whatever support you're entitled to.

It wasn't just my word that the PSU's were dead - Cisco requires a UCSM Tech Support download to be included in the submission of a TAC request. I submitted both an enclosure and a chassis tech support download, which contains all the log files for every component in the chassis. The engineer stated that the PSU was dead and sent a replacement part, however that didn't fix the error we were seeing. When I submitted a second Tech Support file for the 2nd PSU that's when the engineers started getting stupid and the 1st refused to provide any further support and the 2nd denied the request to send out a replacement.

What we eventually did was swap out the replacement PSU in the 1st chassis with the dead one in the second, put the original "dead" PSU back in the 1st chassis, which fixed the problem with the second chassis. Then the team moved every VM off the chassis, shut down the hosts and the chassis, pulled all the blades, PSUs, IO modules, fans, and cables, and then reconnected everything and powered it up again. Problem solved in the first chassis. It was in fact the same resolution I'd asked about in my follow-up email to the engineer when simply replacing the PSU didn't fix the error.

Rather than say "yeah, that might fix it" they started in with the "Acts of God" line and refusing to provide any further assistance. That is what pissed me off.

Now you can call me a bigoted racist all you want, but I've called plenty of white men lazy asswipes as well - I don't give a flying gently caress about color, race, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference, or political organization. I only care about people providing the service they were paid to provide, and when they fail in that then yes, I'm going to raise hell about it. If it costs someone their job it's not going to cause me to lose any sleep over it.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have too many tabs open and am an idiot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Who the gently caress claims racism for being pissed off at a lazy worker? Bet you wouldn't care if the lazy worker was white, you white hero of the poverty line you :colbert:

-----------------------------

What's pissing me off is that for the last 4 hours I've been sat on my arse waiting for the project manager to stop triple checking everything at each site and let us go home. I've been sat doing useless tests for to long and I need to get home to deal with personal poo poo

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 29, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Che Delilas posted:

Well, since he said that every other engineer (Mexican, for the most part), has been helpful, it sounds like the opposite of that to me.

Because in spite of his race, this man is a extremely valuable to me.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Hey guys how about we don't compete for who can make posts that most resemble what would be found in the Daily Mail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've known someone for years, and this person has been in IT for maybe 6 months less than I, but that person has still not figured out how IT works. Why is this pissing me off so much? This person is just sitting back, doing a decent but unspectacular job at work, thinking that they're going to be singled out and promoted up the chain. Of course they are still on the helpdesk, still convinced that they're going to be promoted any day now. Never any work on certifications, never studying after hours or on the weekend, just 40 hours of work then head home to watch TV (they're single, so this isn't a "family is more important than work" thing). This person is not me, so why does it bother me so much?