Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

It's just kind of strange that a notable seductress has yet to actually succeed at seducing someone.

Isn't Binders whole Schtick "Always professional", which means never mixing business with pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
He's a mortal though which the books have shown are usually pretty corruptible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

Isn't Binders whole Schtick "Always professional", which means never mixing business with pleasure.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Binder was one of Jim's secondary City of Heroes characters (a summoner).

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just finished the Codex Alera series after running out of other books. I enjoyed it quite a lot actually, was pretty satisfying. What are peoples issues with it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dravs posted:

Just finished the Codex Alera series after running out of other books. I enjoyed it quite a lot actually, was pretty satisfying. What are peoples issues with it?

Tavi's arc is very, very predictable, the story itself becomes formulaic, and Isana is a horrible human being (and no one ever calls her out on it).

Of the three, Isana bothers me the most. I spent every book hoping that she'd get eaten, shived, enslaved, burned, crucified, assimilated, drowned, drawn-and-quartered, flayed, impaled, or otherwise perish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Binder was one of Jim's secondary City of Heroes characters (a summoner).

That would explain an incredible amount about Binder.

Dravs posted:

I would say my biggest problems are that it becomes formulaic and that the female cast is pretty goddamn bad, a good chunk of which is that Butcher put a lot of emphasis on romance he wasn't able to back up.

Also everything involving the Earth Fury Sex Power which just crossed the line into unnecessarily sleazy way too often.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 27, 2014

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I always picture him as the guy who plays Crowley on Supernatural, only using the sleazy delivery he had on Firefly.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say my biggest problems are that it becomes formulaic and that the female cast is pretty goddamn bad, a good chunk of which is that Butcher put a lot of emphasis on romance he wasn't able to back up.

Also everything involving the Earth Fury Sex Power which just crossed the line into unnecessarily sleazy way too often.

I guess I just glossed over the earth fury sex thing putting it down to Butcher being a massive goon. It's pretty tame compared to certain parts of Dresden.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I liked the first few books, the ones where Tavi was a magicless man in a magical world and had to get by with cleverness and trickery. Once he got his furies and became an unstoppable force of asskickery, all that kind of goes away. Yes, he has a lot of clever tricks with his furycraft that other people don't think of, but he's no longer the underdog.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

OptimusWang posted:

I always picture him as the guy who plays Crowley on Supernatural, only using the sleazy delivery he had on Firefly.

Yes, this is the generally accepted picture.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

OptimusWang posted:

I go with an older Bob Hoskins myself (RIP)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Khizan posted:

I liked the first few books, the ones where Tavi was a magicless man in a magical world and had to get by with cleverness and trickery. Once he got his furies and became an unstoppable force of asskickery, all that kind of goes away. Yes, he has a lot of clever tricks with his furycraft that other people don't think of, but he's no longer the underdog.

This was part of the reason the last couple books didn't click as well for me. It went from Tavi being the clear underdog using his tricky mind and grit in order to come out ahead, to Tavi is Goku and he will fly around and summon giant blasts of energy to destroy armies.

The scope got hosed up too. It's easier to care about a single city/village fighting for survival against alien invaders than it was to care about 90% of the world getting destroyed by the zerg-borg, and all of the remaining human race packing into one city to fight an endless enemy.

The romances were kind of a mixed bag. I actually enjoyed Tavi/Kitai, but Bernard/actiongirl was a weird rugged old guy+young girl romance that felt like it was cut/pasted out of a different story entirely. The tone is also all over the place. Most of the time its lighthearted fantasy, but then it'll suddenly insert mind-slavery collars, rape-slaves, Crucifixion, ritual live cannibalism etc. The whole Marat are all cannibals thing got completely swept under the rug after the first book when the Marat became friendly alien allies.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

limited posted:

Ditto. I don't mind them too much, expecting how they tend to go. But it's definitely wince-worthy in plenty of places. I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka. They can get a bit angsty and drawn out in places, but they're not bad.

Might pick up the first one next time I'm in town, has anyone else read them?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ika posted:

Yes. I prefer Alex Verus over the Iron Druid.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Ika posted:

Imagine if, instead of being powerful but stupid, Dresden was weak but really really smart.

Yeah, they're good, read them.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
I'm reading Shattered now and enjoying it. The pop culture/internet stuff did get pretty heavy and annoying for a while but it's tapered off in the last few books. I think it can be mostly justified by Atticus needing to live in the moment so he didn't get dragged under by all he's lived through and all he's lost. It seems like once he started forming relationships that could last beyond less than a mortal lifetime (and with beings other than a death goddess), he stopped spouting off so many memes.

In Shattered, others talk about how annoying, impulsive, and selfish he is so Hearne is aware of it. It's like Harry's flaws--they're intentionally part of the character.

As for Oberon--I'm in the minority here (but maybe the majority elsewhere) and think he's cute. I like animal interaction, am a dog person, and think Oberon is a good vehicle for infodumps. It's subtle (maybe it's not) but having Oberon around has kept Atticus from becoming isolated and depressed. (Spoilers for the last two books) Granuaile's hound has done this a few times in Shattered just in the part I've read, too. I wouldn't want Mouse to become like Oberon, though. If he did, he'd be Atticus and Harry would be Oberon.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Why is a different man reading me ghost stories

I like the old person who read me Dresden files better

Help

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Devi posted:

As for Oberon--I'm in the minority here (but maybe the majority elsewhere) and think he's cute. I like animal interaction, am a dog person, and think Oberon is a good vehicle for infodumps. It's subtle (maybe it's not) but having Oberon around has kept Atticus from becoming isolated and depressed. (Spoilers for the last two books) Granuaile's hound has done this a few times in Shattered just in the part I've read, too. I wouldn't want Mouse to become like Oberon, though. If he did, he'd be Atticus and Harry would be Oberon.

See, to address that spoiled point.. I actually love Granualie's hound. I think Orlaith's scenes are cute, and fairly basic, and their interaction works pretty well. My problem with Oberon isn't a dislike dogs, or disliking cuteness- I just get grumpy when every few pages there's a paragraph about sausages or poodles or he's used as a further vehicle for pop culture references. I actually liked him in the first book or so, but, by now it kinda gets on my nerves.

But like I said, I definitely did like the book overall- and like you said, opening up the POVs more definitely has helped.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WindmillSlayer posted:

Help

Pretend that Dresden has a different voice when he's dead. The other guy comes back for the future books.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

computer parts posted:

Pretend that Dresden has a different voice when he's dead. The other guy comes back for the future books.

Yay! Why did they switch guys? This guy is so worse especially that Dresden is supposed to be all youthful while a spirit

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WindmillSlayer posted:

Yay! Why did they switch guys? This guy is so worse especially that Dresden is supposed to be all youthful while a spirit

The guy who does them normally just wasn't available for that one for whatever reason.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arcsech posted:

The guy who does them normally just wasn't available for that one for whatever reason.

Ghost Story was delayed, and the change in release schedule didn't jibe with Marsters' schedule. He had previous commitments, and so they had to get someone else to do the audiobook.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Ghost Story was delayed, and the change in release schedule didn't jibe with Marsters' schedule. He had previous commitments, and so they had to get someone else to do the audiobook.

That's really sucky and I hope one day they redo it with marsters

Regardless am enjoying this so far it's nice having Harry not be hyper wizard

Ok byebye thread I don't wanna see any spoilers

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ImpAtom posted:

What would it explain? he's shown up twice in 15 books and gotten his rear end kicked seven ways from sunday in the first book, and realistically in the second comes out even - but that's literally because he was on the protagonists side in the second one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WindmillSlayer posted:

Help

It's just another one of those Changes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Shion posted:

What would it explain? he's shown up twice in 15 books and gotten his rear end kicked seven ways from sunday in the first book, and realistically in the second comes out even - but that's literally because he was on the protagonists side in the second one.

Because a lot of his gimmicks and especially the way he is written in Skin Game would make a lot more sense as "this is the author's CoH character."

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Because a lot of his gimmicks and especially the way he is written in Skin Game would make a lot more sense as "this is the author's CoH character."

I admit I can kind of see it, having played a Mastermind in CoH.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Ika posted:

Yeah, the Alex Verus-series is great. Refreshing to have a protagonist that's weaker than his enemies and actually has to be clever (sometimes even doing something as outrageous as avoiding fights).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alex Varus is what I wanted the Iron Druid books to be.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I like the Alex Versus books, but I almost put it down when he first calls the evil mage group Dark Mages. Like, seriously, you couldn't come up with anything better?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

gninjagnome posted:

I like the Alex Versus books, but I almost put it down when he first calls the evil mage group Dark Mages. Like, seriously, you couldn't come up with anything better?

Black Mages is copyrighted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Illuyankas posted:

Black Mages is copyrighted.

Also, let's face it, racist. (with a hat tip to the PC Grant / Rivers of London series for pointing that out in hilarious fashion)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Also, let's face it, racist. (with a hat tip to the PC Grant / Rivers of London series for pointing that out in hilarious fashion)

Ethically-Challenged Practitioners.
And what's extra hilarious is that Nightingale buys into it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish I could get into Rivers of London. My big problem with it is that I like literally everyone in it but the protagonist. If it was Leslie and Nightingale handling poo poo 24/7 I would be all over that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish I could get into Rivers of London. My big problem with it is that I like literally everyone in it but the protagonist. If it was Leslie and Nightingale handling poo poo 24/7 I would be all over that.

Not after the last book you won't.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just started reading this series last week and I was going to post this:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: Dresden really is a goon with his black coat. Also sometimes you're almost expecting him to tip his hat and say "M'lady"

but it's on page loving one. I know Harry doesn't wear a hat but I half expect him to conjure one out of nowhere just so he can tip it at Murphy. It feels like he's some goon's caricature of himself based on what he thinks would be really cool. I really hope he gets better with this as time goes on.

I say this mostly because I'm on Fool moon, and since the OP says it's the worst book in the series, I fully expect it to get much better. Even then, I've read well over half of the book in two days. Sure it has it's problems, but Butcher writes really good action scenes. I stayed up far too late last night reading, and as a result am horribly sleep deprived for work today. As a reward, I got Dresdan launching a warewolf like Wile-E-Coyote halfway across the city through several buildings, before binding him using a snoopy doll and chanting to the rhythm of the peanuts theme song. I'd like to believe he left warewolf shaped holes in the walls.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Dresden will forever be goony but it does become a lot less affecting as time goes on.

It's definitely a character thing rather than an author thing though which makes it more tolerable.

Until then, enjoy nipple talk!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

WastedJoker posted:

It's definitely a character thing rather than an author thing though which makes it more tolerable.

That's good.

I actually have trouble reading books if I know the author is an enormous tool, and I know next to nothing about Jim Butcher.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Renegret posted:

That's good.

I actually have trouble reading books if I know the author is an enormous tool, and I know next to nothing about Jim Butcher.

There you go. That's all you need to know.

Jim's a geek but he's the best kind of friendly, self-aware, non-disturbing geek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Shion posted:

Not after the last book you won't.

Yeah, I heard about that and decided not to buy the last book. Killed any interest I had in that franchise.