Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kater posted:

If a game doesn't have 4 different 300 page wikis full of user-submitted guides arguing with each other it is probably for babies.

I actually do find games with designed, finite levels that veer towards overly technical kind of weird. What's the point of getting good at a game if it's just going to end?

I think I misunderstood this question because it sounds so breathtakingly stupid that no one with two eyes and a pulse could ever come close to asking it, so of course that can't be what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Mario 3D World has tons of mechanical depth and is also incredibly straightforward.

It's good

I like Mario 3D World but 'tons of mechanical depth' is one of the last things I would say about it. It's very fun to play but even something like Super Mario World has more depth and interesting things to learn.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

You can literally finish the entire game with everything you get by default + the block move. (Which is really essential but is also insanely cheap.) You don't have to memorize a "Shakespeare-esque moveset" at all. It has only a handful of button combinations for each weapon and each one have the exact same button inputs.

Like, of all the problems W101 has, a large and complex moveset is not one of them. You have the switch-between-weapons elements and then each weapon has like three moves in addition to regular attacks. (Stinger, Rising and Cyclone.)

People say that because it gives an example of high-level play and explains things very slowly, not because it is the only way to learn things.

Yeah okay I can beat Mario by just jumping. Fun.

Really though, dodging zaps your battery, the puzzles aren't self-explanatory or intuitive, and if you use default and block the whole time it's an act of frustration when you get consistently knocked back and killed. Again, lots of people have these same complaints so you can't just hand-wave it away with "oh just use the poo poo you get at the beginning of the game". A great example of a game that had initial frustrating game mechanics was Kid Icarus but once you practiced it worked really well. W101 unfortunately probably turned a lot of potential buyers away by not being forthcoming with how to play it, and the sales reflected that.

I guess I'll just continue to not have fun with the game that clearly is easy once you put 20 hours into it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It does kinda have a middle ground in that it has easy and very easy, I guess. You can get your feet wet in a difficulty where you're never really in danger and then try again on normal with your accumulated knowledge and arsenal of items and techniques.

Speaking of, is there a way to change difficulty once you've started a game? Seems like turning it to easy = fun

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of, is there a way to change difficulty once you've started a game? Seems like turning it to easy = fun

Check the GamePad in between levels. It also lets you set how many of your permanent Wonderful Ones to bring in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

W101 unfortunately probably turned a lot of potential buyers away by not being forthcoming with how to play it, and the sales reflected that.

The problem with this argument is that there are plenty of similarly non-forthcoming games that sell just fine. Dark Souls, again, is a great example. W101 selling poorly was partially due to its mechanical design but putting the full blame of it on that is silly, especially when things like MGR have done pretty well. I'd put more blame on it looking like a super-deformed power rangers game and was exclusively sold for a poorly-selling system.

And it isn't the same "just Jump in Mario." You have a lot of tools and options available to you without buying a single item. It's, again, very similar to something like Bayonetta that way. More options is better but it isn't like all you have is Jump and Attack without those items.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

Yeah okay I can beat Mario by just jumping. Fun.

Really though, dodging zaps your battery, the puzzles aren't self-explanatory or intuitive, and if you use default and block the whole time it's an act of frustration when you get consistently knocked back and killed. Again, lots of people have these same complaints so you can't just hand-wave it away with "oh just use the poo poo you get at the beginning of the game". A great example of a game that had initial frustrating game mechanics was Kid Icarus but once you practiced it worked really well. W101 unfortunately probably turned a lot of potential buyers away by not being forthcoming with how to play it, and the sales reflected that.

I guess I'll just continue to not have fun with the game that clearly is easy once you put 20 hours into it

I think you're approaching it with a poor attitude, but I can try to help somewhat.

First of all, there's no reason for you to block the whole time. The game punishes all lazy play--you have to be actively aware of what you are doing and reacting swiftly to enemy attacks. Everything functions in a rock paper scissors sort of format. Your block--as it tells you in the description when you buy--reflects attacks, which you quickly learn means blunt attacks. Blunt attacks are distinct in a number of ways, and you learn similarly that blade attacks are different as well. The game introduces mechanics to you piecemeal, just like Megaman does. The only difficulty/confusion lies in figuring out just what you can do, just how you can do it. I liken it to learning how to drive--it's a matter of figuring out the stickshift and the gears. The game explains it to you, but you'll only get good by practicing.

If you're not having fun with the game, it may not be for you--but I urge you to go back and play the first level a few times. Experiment with controls, experiment and constantly keep practicing your drawing. Learn how to use the right stick over the touchpad. It takes time and it takes practice. A lot of people seem to think this is a bad thing, I dunno what to say on that front, but that's the way the game wants you to play--and trust me, with practice, you can really do amazing things.

Here's a good tip: sit on the title screen for awhile until attract mode (the images of the game being played when you idle too long) plays. It actually demonstrates a number of advanced techniques for you that may help you play, including how to properly utilize the Crowd attack. It's a game that you need to want to make it work for it to work.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
My personal tip for Wonderful 101 is replay the early levels a few times after you get through Operation 2, before moving any further. My experience with the game was:

-Played 1A and 1B, hated the game.
-Watched some videos online for 20 minutes, felt like they helped, was more interested.
-Played 1C and 2A, was even worse than before, hated the game. Realized the videos really just confused me and overwhelmed me with strategies I wasn't ready for.
-Went back to 1A, spent about an hour or so replaying that one level, using it as practice for some basic combos / getting used to dodge and blocking. Finally started to enjoy the game.
-Alternated between the continuing Operation 2 and replaying 1A and 1B some more for practice. Fell in love with the game and never looked back.

I would say looking at videos and strategies online is overrated. Those things are helpful to get a general idea of where the game goes and what the ceiling is, but the best way to get better at the game is practice. 1A and 1B are actually really well-structured as practice grounds once you get some of the basic abilities and a big enough starting team.

I agree the game could do a much better job of teaching you how to play it, but I think the barrier for entry is exaggerated, and seems larger by every nerd promoting the Saur videos which are borderline useless for new players. It's like a new player at Smash Bros. watching the E3 Smash Tournament and being expected to jump right into competitive battle.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So I'm at the final boss of the first level and it wants me to unite build something? I'm not gonna lie I've been here for 5 minutes and I have no idea what to do, I've tried building this cockpit thing maybe? Do I not have enough men? Nothing is happening and there's no prompts to press any buttons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

So I'm at the final boss of the first level and it wants me to unite build something? I'm not gonna lie I've been here for 5 minutes and I have no idea what to do, I've tried building this cockpit thing maybe? Do I not have enough men? Nothing is happening and there's no prompts to press any buttons.

Make sure you ran all your dudes into it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

You fill in the dome by making a line towards it. Unite Build is a little finnicky, so just look for your guys leaping into a weird shape as you funnel them into the target (they clearly mark it). They build automatically. It's like filling in a gap.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I think comparisons to dark souls are unfair because that game series has been designed to be mysterious and at times fairly obtuse. Not everything in the souls series is obtuse by design per se, but a lot of it is clearly intentional.

Sales wise, it was pretty dead in the water anyway as it was coming out but the demo probably turned a good chunk of people off.

The happy medium is essentially an extensive optional tutorial. No-one feels patronised or bored of they want to figure it out themselves, and those who don't can use that. If I'm playing a game I don't want to read the manual or watch a video- I want to play it. I find learning by doing a lot more effective and fun.

I'm not disparaging the gameplay itself, but this happens basically every platinum release.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Make sure you ran all your dudes into it.

Nobody is following me around if that's what you mean, loving hell I've died 2 times now just trying to get this to work

E: I've thrown everyone in this at least 20 times, what am I not getting?

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

I think comparisons to dark souls are unfair because that game series has been designed to be mysterious and at times fairly obtuse. Not everything in the souls series is obtuse by design per se, but a lot of it is clearly intentional.

I would agree with that on the worldsetting or secrets but not on the core mechanics which are similarly poorly explained and where questions about them usually are met with 'check the wiki.'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think I remember Kamiya saying that your first run of W101 is pretty much a tutorial.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I think part of the problem is that a lot of modern games have trained people to think that Easy as a difficulty is for people who have never played a game before and Normal is for everyone else, but most of Platinum's games have Normal actually be pretty dang difficult and Easy as what you should be playing on your first time through. That's why there's also a Very Easy setting. Metal Gear Rising avoided this by just moving the names of the difficulty settings up by one, so Very Easy became Easy, Easy became Normal, etc.

Besides that though as much as I love Platinum's games they do really have a problem with properly teaching the mechanics. That said, I just find them so much fun to play that it doesn't bother me, but I can see why others find them so hard to get into.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The little green guy is shining on the cockpit, and I've got every dude in it, and nothing.

E: Do I need to get in? How? All my buttons end up disbanding the morph

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

Nobody is following me around if that's what you mean, loving hell I've died 2 times now just trying to get this to work

E: I've thrown everyone in this at least 20 times, what am I not getting?

Describe in detail what you need to do. Is it the part where you fill in a glowing ball in on a dragon's head? Because that's all a matter of feeding people in. If you are running out of guys, you should recruit some of the guys who show up to help you out, the soldier guys.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with this argument is that there are plenty of similarly non-forthcoming games that sell just fine. Dark Souls, again, is a great example.

Well this is just wrong. Dark Souls' controls are very simple and the tutorial teaches you everything you need to know to tackle the rest of the game. Your reflexes just get better as you learn how enemies behave.

W101 throws a lot of poo poo at you at once and it can be overwhelming, the difficulty names are misleading (normal is actually pretty loving hard) and despite having that Platinum Games Charm™ it does have a lot of design issues and will confuse the poo poo out of the average gamer.

Its poor sales probably had a lot more to do with the WiiU and being a new IP by Platinum, though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Describe in detail what you need to do. Is it the part where you fill in a glowing ball in on a dragon's head? Because that's all a matter of feeding people in. If you are running out of guys, you should recruit some of the guys who show up to help you out, the soldier guys.

One dragons head is on the ground, lying on the side. I can move men in to fill up the cockpit, but I guess it's not filled? There's nobody else here and the other dragon has been alternating between laser and fire breath for about half an hour now

E: He also bites

E2: I have 88 men, do I need 100? Should I re-start the level? I really don't want to do that

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

One dragons head is on the ground, lying on the side. I can move men in to fill up the cockpit, but I guess it's not filled? There's nobody else here and the other dragon has been alternating between laser and fire breath for about half an hour now

E: He also bites

Have you tried moving closer to the dragon? I think that may be a section you use a special power on. It's pretty late, but I'll boot up the game to see if I can give a better description, it's been awhile since I fought that boss. Otherwise, it really is a matter of throwing your guys into it.

EDIT: Reflect the laser with the Wonder Sword.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 29, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Have you tried moving closer to the dragon? I think that may be a section you use a special power on. It's pretty late, but I'll boot up the game to see if I can give a better description, it's been awhile since I fought that boss. Otherwise, it really is a matter of throwing your guys into it.

I've moved close and tried to stay back, I can't really do much experimenting since the other dragon head has already killed me 3 times. I can't do any further unite morphs, so I'm assuming that means all my guys are in it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

EDIT: Reflect the laser with the Wonder Sword.

I can do that?!

E: Oh gently caress it worked, thanks man

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

I've moved close and tried to stay back, I can't really do much experimenting since the other dragon head has already killed me 3 times. I can't do any further unite morphs, so I'm assuming that means all my guys are in it.
That one in particular is extremely finicky, you probably are missing a few dudes and it's not completing.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I can do that?!

Sure can. And the best way I can describe what you need to do (this is one of the times where I do feel like the game does a bad job of explaining what to do; I otherwise am fine with having to figure out a game's complex mechanics and love the poo poo out of this game), is tapping the right stick in the direction of the Unite Build when basically all of your people are in it. This will put your last person in there with it. Remember to do this for big Unite Build attacks that come up (they happen a lot with boss fights), and you shouldn't have any issues.

I've heard it depends on how many people you have recruited as well, but I can't say for sure. I've heard you need 100 people, which you can get by recruiting the soldiers that are dropped in by the helicopter on the dragon's back. Try what I said anyways. I was also super annoyed at that and once I figured it out (you're basically doing the last touches of the Unite Build and putting the leader in there as well), I never had any issues with them again.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay the trick is that YOU are the last part of the Unite Build. YOu run your leader in once everybody else is in and boom, you got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well this is just wrong. Dark Souls' controls are very simple and the tutorial teaches you everything you need to know to tackle the rest of the game. Your reflexes just get better as you learn how enemies behave..

And the tutorial in Wonderful 101 also teaches you everything you need to tackle the rest of the game, but it doesn't go into the more complex mechanics. Demon Souls in particlar are pretty poor about explaining things which is why "go to the wiki" is one of the most common pieces of advice offered.

Dark Souls is a great game but it is obtuse both in intentional ways and unintentional ways. It was specifically designed with the idea that people would talk to each other to learn more about the game.

I guess my big problem here is that people act like W101 is this completely incomprehensible obtuse game which can't possibly be understood without help which is ridiculous. It color-codes everything, it has a very small set of basic moves, and there are three kinds of hints for every mechanic in the game. It could explain some things better but the idea that you have to watch a 40 minute video to begin to understand how the game is played is silly. It isn't that complex and a lot of the actual complex stuff is high-level stuff which is completely unnecessary to finish the game or even to platinum it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 29, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I didn't have 100 men, I just needed to collect another capsule, wasn't aware I could reflect lasers to hit the dragon at that point. That said, I finally beat that dude and holy poo poo this game loving owns good god

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
W101 is not a game for everyone. But holy drat is it ever a good game. I was hoping it would make an appearance on the games done quick marathon but I dont think it has any speed running community.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The art style of W101 makes me want a Platinum-developed Team America: World Police game.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Austrian mook posted:

I didn't have 100 men, I just needed to collect another capsule, wasn't aware I could reflect lasers to hit the dragon at that point. That said, I finally beat that dude and holy poo poo this game loving owns good god

This really accurately reflected my feelings on the game at that point. I remember that Unite Build being kind of finicky, and just sort of randomly figuring out that I could reflect lasers with the sword after a couple attempts and then it was just kind of "holy poo poo this is amazing."

Such a good game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

unimportantguy posted:

This really accurately reflected my feelings on the game at that point. I remember that Unite Build being kind of finicky, and just sort of randomly figuring out that I could reflect lasers with the sword after a couple attempts and then it was just kind of "holy poo poo this is amazing."

Such a good game.

It says something that I spent like half an hour on one section and am still continuing.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm going through the F.A.Q. section of the draft for the new OP - I'm mostly copying over what the old OP has, while cleaning things up, re-toning stuff, updating information, etc., but are there any questions that anyone would like me to add? Also, I'm somewhat considering removing and reorganizing a lot of the general information about the system, especially because a fair bit of it is either out of place or redundant when put against the F.A.Q. I'll probably be removing a large part of the Online section in particular, and I'm not entirely sure how useful a lot of the Specs section is to people.

When I get additional questions out of the way, I'll move onto covering the Games section proper, so I'll be asking you guys for help at that point, as well.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Might want to add something about an external HDD being a mandatory purchase if they plan to buy retail games digitally. The basic model has enough internal storage to hold a single (small sized) retail game, but won't fit one of the larger ones. Even the storage on the deluxe model isn't going to let you keep any kind of decent sized library installed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just tried the demo for that new sonic game and it's not as bad as I thought. It's got a very Mario Galaxy feel to it. Is there any glaring issues with it?

Also, limited tries for a demo?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretty much every Wii U/3DS demo has a limited number of plays, it's a Nintendo thing.

The new Sonic game isn't particularly good, no, but at least it's a bunch of decent ideas executed poorly instead of a bunch of stupid ideas executed poorly like most other Sonic games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kin posted:

I just tried the demo for that new sonic game and it's not as bad as I thought. It's got a very Mario Galaxy feel to it. Is there any glaring issues with it?

Also, limited tries for a demo?

The level in the demo is better then most of the rest of the game but it's still worth playing if you enjoyed that.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someone should dig up that huge primer/beginner guide to W101. It was really useful from what I remember.

Hang on a second, I got this.

edit:

Seshoho Cian posted:

Hey since we're talking The Wonderful 101, I'm gonna repost this handy guide. It covers a lot stuff the game never really mentions in the tutorials.

Seshoho Cian fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 29, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes. Use easy or very easy mode. They're good for tiny children.

*wonders why people don't use those modes and are frustrated with game*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Kin posted:

For real, I would wait until you can get Lost World for a song. I paid $20 for it, and I still felt ripped off. I felt that the side-scrolling levels are every bit as bad as Sonic 4, and that the levels are very boring in their design and flow. I also feel the Nintendo-themed DLC, though neat in concept, is flat in execution.

Although I did get to experience a boss screaming I'M GONNA POUND YOUR FURRY BLUE BUTT and I passed out from laughter, so there's that silver lining.

• Locked thread