Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Hope these clarifications help.

Clarifications were helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: In effort to avoid familiarity blindness I should probably mention there is a hard limit of 10 pending group join requests. I prune these after 48-72 business hours (mon-fri) as a personal rule of thumb and find new groups to apply to.

Tai-Pan posted:

There isn't a reason NOT to join a group, but it drat sure isn't the thing that is preventing you from getting a job.

If LI were the only tool I were using in my life I would agree with this statement. It is not.

Railgun fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If I'm currently in the middle of writing a novel in my free time, could/should I put it on the current projects list? It's a serious project even though it's a hobby and I'm looking to get published.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What's the "normal" way to reach out to someone with a followup message to the effect of "Hey we met at event X and agreed to follow up to see if we could work together, let's keep talking?" Send a connection request with your followup in the body? Use one of Linkedin's silly metered "In Mail" messages? Something else?

e: Huh, apparently you don't actually get any of the InMails without paying for it. Guess that narrowing down of options make the problem simpler.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 30, 2014

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Is the Stairmasters group still active? I requested membership a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still pending.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I believe it is- my membership was approved just recently. Also, I would like to thank this thread and BFC advice in general for getting me a whole bunch of interviews with recruiters within a week of starting my job search (though I did post a lot on Monster, etc as well- I found that applying to recruiter-posted jobs was a great strategy for getting their attention). I got my first job offer today and it's for more than double what I currently make. I have two more interviews on Friday, after which I need to give an answer on the offer.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Leck posted:

Is the Stairmasters group still active? I requested membership a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still pending.

I just approved you and everyone else sitting in the queue. Not sure why the requests to join aren't showing up somewhere more prominently for me than buried in the group page. Sorry about that.

Commissar Kayla posted:

I believe it is- my membership was approved just recently. Also, I would like to thank this thread and BFC advice in general for getting me a whole bunch of interviews with recruiters within a week of starting my job search (though I did post a lot on Monster, etc as well- I found that applying to recruiter-posted jobs was a great strategy for getting their attention). I got my first job offer today and it's for more than double what I currently make. I have two more interviews on Friday, after which I need to give an answer on the offer.

I'm glad to hear it. I'm starting a new job on Monday myself thanks to being scouted out by a recruiter based on my Linkedin profile. Feels good man.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm glad to hear it. I'm starting a new job on Monday myself thanks to being scouted out by a recruiter based on my Linkedin profile. Feels good man.

Definitely feels good. Congrats on your new job! Update: I accepted the offer today, after my "well I have other interviews..." prompted a call from the hiring manager where he opened with "let me sell you on this company and how much we'd love to have you here" and an increase in pay. Thank you, negotiation thread!

Now, how to cancel interviews politely? Problems I didn't think I would have. I was thinking "Thank you for reaching out to me, and I appreciate this opportunity greatly, but I have accepted a job offer and am no longer available to interview. I wish you the best of luck on your search for a candidate!" Or is that not formal enough? There is the additional issue that two of them are tomorrow. I figure I'll send an email tonight and then call in the morning, just to make sure that they know.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Commissar Kayla posted:

"Thank you for reaching out to me, and I appreciate this opportunity greatly, but I have accepted a job offer and am no longer available to interview. I wish you the best of luck on your search for a candidate!"

Exactly this. It's part of the hiring process, and they'll understand.
You'll be fine as long as you give them a polite heads up, and don't just pull a no-show for the interview.

(Congrats by the way!)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Whee, Linkedin just saw fit to give me another month free of premium.

I'll take some time to figure out what might have changed since the last time they gave it to me and update accordingly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Whee, Linkedin just saw fit to give me another month free of premium.

I'll take some time to figure out what might have changed since the last time they gave it to me and update accordingly.

They are now pushing upgraded membership really hard as a way to make unsolicited connections. It literally suggests me random people to friend, without having to know any contact details, on my own current free month. "No open networking" is dead.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They are now pushing upgraded membership really hard as a way to make unsolicited connections. It literally suggests me random people to friend, without having to know any contact details, on my own current free month. "No open networking" is dead.

I still have yet to see a single suggestion or anything like this. Can you share a screenshot?

This will completely end LinkedIN as a professional tool.
It will become nothing but a cesspool of the unemployed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

I still have yet to see a single suggestion or anything like this. Can you share a screenshot?

I'm doing a one-month freebie of Premium. If I go looking through profiles of connections, I can literally just connect with anyone it suggests on tabs that open up on the right-hand side.

Between rampant LIONs before this ever got underway and Premium being a buy-in to not having as many doormen between you and making connections, do the math really. From my vantage point LinkedIn is networking for recruiters and people who want jobs and not really anything else.

(A network that just establishes that you work at a company and are important to others has no actual utility.)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

I still have the "this is spam" and "I do not know this person" options whenever someone requests to connect with me.

And yeah, I don't know what the point would be for LinkedIN if they really were going this route, which I am about 99% sure is just wishful thinking by a few posters. At that point it would have lost all its utility as a networking site and simply be another iteration of Monster.com

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

(A network that just establishes that you work at a company and are important to others has no actual utility.)

Being able to keep tabs on your professional network has immense utility. Which is the whole reason LinkedIn caught on. If it becomes a site only for recruiters and job seekers LinkedIn will be completely changing their business model and trashing their worth.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is a great thread. I skyrocketed from ~80 to ~232 connections. I have an "all-star" profile, and also I'm just generally way happier with the product.

I have a question, how do people find recruiters? Do they just search for "talent acquisition [profession x]" or "talent [profession y]"?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We seem to have this conversation about the utility and responsible use of connection requests over, and over, and over again.

Certainly LinkedIn should not and does not cater only to seasoned professionals and should not stonewall anyone without a job, "cesspool" though they may be.

Recruiters use LinkedIn a lot to talk to people they don't actually have a professional relationship with, using it in a way very similar to Careerbuilder or Monster (for the record, the calls I get from recruiters finding me on actual job boards is still much higher than it is on LinkedIn even after I spent some time aggressively seeking out recruiters on LinkedIn).

LinkedIn is both a job board and facilitates networking. Networking is about getting a job or a better job. Presenting LinkedIn as a walled garden where you can show Bob your new bone-white business card, or that it was once intended for that, is really disingenuous and obviously incorrect when you load up the basic UI.

What's at issue here is whether or not LinkedIn is breaking down the barriers between professional networking and JOBAPALOOZA.COM THE #1 JOB BOARD ON THE NET. Arguably, it is. It's simply easier to make connections when you have a paid account. You can send requests to 2nd-tier connections without getting a "how do you know this person" dialogue if you know what you're doing, with or without Premium access. Advertising for Premium clearly states better connectivity as a selling point. This enables people who have no idea what the gently caress they're doing to poison the well a little.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They can go 'no no no!' to sending random connections all they want but what they say is betrayed by how the system is set up. If you only add people you know in real life, most people wouldn't get anywhere. I think there's a line between serious connections only and 'hello I'm a LION who accepts connections from anyone who sends one' but the system seems to benefit the latter more than the former.

It's a tool like any other in that how you use it is up to you but for 95% of people it's probably to get the ear of recruiters and find a job.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Stanos posted:

It's a tool like any other in that how you use it is up to you but for 95% of people it's probably to get the ear of recruiters and find a job.

I think your perspective might be a bit skewed on this. I can understand why a junior person without many connections would feel like "95%" of LinkedIn is talking to recruiters. Thats what you are and who you know.
But _most_ of us in the business world are not starting out; People starting out is the small minority.
The vast majority of LinkedINs participants are not using it to find another job.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I've got a Linkedin profile and I'm a nurse working in clinical research for a hospital. I've been strategically adding recruiters from contract research organizations (CROs) recently because I want to progress to clinical trial monitoring soon. The other day, I got a connection request from someone loosely related to my interests with this message:

quote:

Hi Cacafuego,

My boss (...) came across your profile and saw some things in your background that he believes you may be a good fit for.

He owns 10 different technologies and multiple companies. This is by no means, multi-level marketing.

This is an opportunity to transition into something new or just something that can be done during your downtime.

Below is a link to his LinkedIn profile for more information:

...link here...

He asked me to reach out to you to schedule an introductory call so that he can provide you with the details.

I have no reason to be excited about an unsolicited message like this, but what could they be suggesting? Whenever I see someone going out of their way to say "this isn't multi-level marketing" it sets off my bullshit alarm. I'm debating whether to answer just to find out, unless there's been some kind of scam that's well known.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

quote:

just something that can be done during your downtime.

That is how I would pitch a legitimate new career.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Cacafuego posted:

I've got a Linkedin profile and I'm a nurse working in clinical research for a hospital. I've been strategically adding recruiters from contract research organizations (CROs) recently because I want to progress to clinical trial monitoring soon. The other day, I got a connection request from someone loosely related to my interests with this message:

I have no reason to be excited about an unsolicited message like this, but what could they be suggesting? Whenever I see someone going out of their way to say "this isn't multi-level marketing" it sets off my bullshit alarm. I'm debating whether to answer just to find out, unless there's been some kind of scam that's well known.
Looks like prime A bullshit to me. The lack of details. The aforementioned "this is not a scam." Also why would her boss "the owner of 10 technology companies" waste his/her time trolling around LinkedIn profiles to find new employee? Just my take on it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Lelorox posted:

Looks like prime A bullshit to me. The lack of details. The aforementioned "this is not a scam." Also why would her boss "the owner of 10 technology companies" waste his/her time trolling around LinkedIn profiles to find new employee? Just my take on it.

That was my thought too, thanks for the confirmation.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Usually with contacts like that, I google the company name. There's a few MLM watchout sites around and usually there'll be at least one user that will have posted their experiences with it.

But, yeah, trying to sell you on the owner's success rather than the company itself sounds sketchy as hell. Makes it sound like one of those cult of personality or THIS COULD BE YOU pipe dreams that MLM schemes run on.

I'd also be leery of anyone who claims 10 companies worth of leadership experience and hasn't been in the game for, like, 30-40 years. Seems like bullshitting/exaggeration or that they're the type that fluffs up their company stock price on short sighted decisions then cashes in/moves on before the other shoe drops and someone else is left holding the bag.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If they offer to meet at IHOP and show you their tools then you know it's legit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been reading a lot of those contrived "TOP FIVE THINGS THAT MAKE A GOOD RESUME" lists because they show up on my main newsfeed. All of them pretty much say the same things (list accomplishments, use header space, etc.) but I'm seeing more and more recommendations for putting your social media address(es) with the rest of the contact information. I can sort of see the benefit for using your LinkedIn address (especially for people like me who have very common first and last names, I guess) or your professional account(s) if you're an artist or in media, but I get the vibe that a lot of this advice pertains to personal accounts.

Are people seriously putting their personal Facebook or Twitter urls on their resumes, of all things? I can't see it doing anything more than making the recruiter think you're a self-important preteen :psyduck:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Putting your LinkedIn on is a good idea and is what I do. Anyone who puts their Facebook or Twitter on a resume is an idiot.

Tai-Pan posted:

I think your perspective might be a bit skewed on this. I can understand why a junior person without many connections would feel like "95%" of LinkedIn is talking to recruiters. Thats what you are and who you know.
But _most_ of us in the business world are not starting out; People starting out is the small minority.
The vast majority of LinkedINs participants are not using it to find another job.

You don't understand LinkedIn. The largest and fastest-growing demo on LinkedIn is students/college grads. Your profile is structured like a resume. The site is self-evidently geared toward finding a job, and this is what they market their main purpose as, with aiding hiring managers going hand-in-hand. The main difference between LinkedIn and a job board is that LinkedIn's profile is much more articulated and there is an actual social media mechanic. This is where LinkedIn proves more valuable than the many job boards.

Insisting that LinkedIn is designed as an exclusive social club for people who have and love their jobs is silly.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Putting your LinkedIn on is a good idea and is what I do. Anyone who puts their Facebook or Twitter on a resume is an idiot.

Nice. Is the header a prime place to shove it? It's where I have all of my other contact information. Hyperlinked or not? I find hyperlinks make things look a bit messy, but then again it is a url. Should I use the public url or the internal one?

More importantly, is there a way to customize your LinkedIn profile (either internal or public) url? FMMLastname is a combination unique enough for me that I managed to grab it for Gmail, Facebook, and Live. I'd like to have it for LinkedIn too!

Nevermind. Found it! :getin: There doesn't seem to be a way to do it for the internal profile though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 1, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
LinkedIn isn't a bad idea but willingly giving away your FB/Twitter/MySpace/whatever is Grade A Stupid. Companies will PROBABLY go searching for it anyway but why make it easy on them, especially if you're not pruning it already? Now that I'm on the job hunt, all of the social media profiles I have are on lockdown.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The site is self-evidently geared toward finding a job,

I'd heavily disagree on that. If you don't mind l my asking, what is your industry and experience level? You give your personal opinions as fact on here so you might as give a baseline for where you are coming from. What works for you doesn't automatically translate into a universal experience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I'd heavily disagree on that. If you don't mind l my asking, what is your industry and experience level? You give your personal opinions as fact on here so you might as give a baseline for where you are coming from. What works for you doesn't automatically translate into a universal experience.

I'm about three and a half years out of college and two and a half years into a job.

The burden is really on you to demonstrate why a site based around professional networking and creating an online profile to act as and supplement your resume is not about advancing your career, which if you stop to consider is a ridiculous position to take. The demographics, the design, and the marketing clearly say otherwise. This discussion began as an offshoot of Premium selling itself as a way to connect with less restrictions.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I'm about three and a half years out of college and two and a half years into a job.

The burden is really on you to demonstrate why a site based around professional networking and creating an online profile to act as and supplement your resume is not about advancing your career, which if you stop to consider is a ridiculous position to take. The demographics, the design, and the marketing clearly say otherwise. This discussion began as an offshoot of Premium selling itself as a way to connect with less restrictions.

It is fair to say that finding a job and advancing your career can be viewed differently.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Perhaps absent ambition.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

HiroProtagonist posted:

Perhaps absent ambition.

What an absurd thing to say. I have not used LinkedIn to find a job in the last 5 years. Recruiters certainly attempt to find me, but I have no interest in leaving my current role. I regularly use it to advance the company and ipso-facto my career as well.
My most recent use was Monday, one of my coworkers was attempting to help a business development contact at AAA connect with an appropriate BD person at WholeFoods. He was able to see that I had a second-level connection through my wife to the Vice President of Development at WholeFoods. I asked for an intro and was able to secure that persons email, phone number and an intro email within 2 hours.

This secured AAA's gratitude and will build us good will with AAA and possibly with WholeFoods if they are able to do something together.

That is a highly valuable use of LinkedIn and one which cannot be duplicated elsewhere. It is what makes LinkedIn special.

"LOL RECRUITERS" may be all you guys are using it for, but it is hardly why anyone with any experience would actively participate.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Does LinkedIn have some kind of algorithm to identify which people are "most likely to leave their job"? For two weeks I was suddenly getting 2-3 pings per day from recruiters or HR people, and then it stopped just as suddenly. Very weird.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tai-Pan posted:

What an absurd thing to say.

It seems like you misinterpreted me. What the poster I was quoting was saying also implied that finding a job (what this thread is primarily designed to help with) could potentially be viewed as non-career advancing.

It was hardly a profound observation; rather it was one with a point, that Linkedin is a tool with multiple uses, with ambition being the key driving factor behind all of them.

Tai-Pan posted:

"LOL RECRUITERS" may be all you guys are using it for, but it is hardly why anyone with any experience would actively participate.

Finding a job, particularly for young people not long out of college (in comparison to yourself, whom I'm guessing has around 8-10 years of career experience behind them) in these economic times can be difficult. Though they are not the only intended audience by far, helping connect to recruiters really is the primary focus for most people reading the thread and is also the original reason that I wrote the OP. You may not find that valuable personally, but I fail to see how you can look down on other people for attempting to leverage the tools available to them and find employment they might not have ever considered otherwise.

Additionally, specifically addressing your "LOL RECRUITERS" comment, if you have ever worked closely with really hard-core recruiters, I am sure you would have seen how difficult it really is sometimes to find the right kind of talent. Hell, even in a seller's market for jobs like today's economy, finding the right person for a job is even harder in some respects, simply because sorting through the pool of potential applicants is work in and of itself. However, all other factors aside, a greater pool to select from means a wider range of potential options. Recruiters value having access to this pool almost as much as job-seekers do. As recruiters, their own jobs exist, likewise, because of the demand for others.

It isn't likely to happen at this point, but even if other users of Linkedin dried up entirely, I still believe that recruiters and job seekers would continue to use it as a resource, simply because it connects job seekers and job offerors directly in a way that other sites do not.

e:

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Does LinkedIn have some kind of algorithm to identify which people are "most likely to leave their job"? For two weeks I was suddenly getting 2-3 pings per day from recruiters or HR people, and then it stopped just as suddenly. Very weird.

I think there is some hidden factor relating to recent activity that causes people who have been more active more recently to show up higher ranked in search results. However this is purely anecdotal; I don't really have anything specific to base that statement on.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 3, 2014

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Tai-Pan posted:

What an absurd thing to say. I have not used LinkedIn to find a job in the last 5 years. Recruiters certainly attempt to find me, but I have no interest in leaving my current role. I regularly use it to advance the company and ipso-facto my career as well.
My most recent use was Monday, one of my coworkers was attempting to help a business development contact at AAA connect with an appropriate BD person at WholeFoods. He was able to see that I had a second-level connection through my wife to the Vice President of Development at WholeFoods. I asked for an intro and was able to secure that persons email, phone number and an intro email within 2 hours.

This secured AAA's gratitude and will build us good will with AAA and possibly with WholeFoods if they are able to do something together.

That is a highly valuable use of LinkedIn and one which cannot be duplicated elsewhere. It is what makes LinkedIn special.

I was looking for a job in 2008 after graduating, in 2011 because I wanted something better, and in 2013 because I wanted something better. In my most recent job search, I used all of the tools at my disposal per normal, but my 7 on-site interviews (resulting in 5 offers) all came from recruiters on linkedin.

Sure, I use linkedin instead of keeping a rolodex, but when you email a contact and ask them to recommend someone it's extremely likely you'll go outside the breadth of their linkedin connections. For background, I have a chemical engineering degree and work as a process engineer in downstream oil & gas. I have friends at most of the major oil companies, catalyst manufacturers, indie refiners, chemical vendors, etc etc.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Based on the deluge I get as the quarters shift, I've guessed that this is related to budgets/quotas or something similar in the HR depts and not something behind the scenes at linkedin.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For jobs that ask you to "send salary requirements" or otherwise indicate your desired salary on the application, is it okay to put something like "negotiable?" I have found that almost all the jobs in my field are in various faraway cities rather than where I live, and I don't know what the cost of living is for each of those places. I am happy to move and have money saved up for it, and I would be willing to research the area COL if I knew a job offer was serious, but I thought it was bad form to show your hand before you've even gotten an interview.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yes, it is acceptable, and frankly, encouraged, in my opinion.

I typically do my best to dodge that question. On electronic form submissions, I've only rarely encountered specimens where a value for "previous/current salary" or "salary expected" was marked as required. Wherever possible, I leave that field blank. Even where it's been marked as 'required information' for an application, I've entered "$0" or "$1" in the past. I hate doing that but to me, it's a better option than actually entering the information (especially if it's marked as required--I hate that even more).

On phone calls (lets say with a recruiter) if that question comes up early on, I simply let them know that I'm not comfortable providing that information. If pressed, I say it's negotiable and not a critical factor in my consideration--finding a job that is the right 'fit' for me is much more important and salary considerations are secondary at best. This is a negotiating tactic, but it's also one that's both assertive and accurate, to seasoned professionals and recruiters alike.

There are definitely valid reasons for a recruiter to ask questions about salary, whether expected or at a previous position. A good example is that it potentially gives a contract recruiter ammunition to make a case for suggested salary to their client (your eventual employer) on your behalf. However, most of the reasons that that question is potentially asked don't benefit you in the slightest, and can even work against you to result in a lower salary figure than would otherwise be offered. For these reasons, and factoring in that the vast majority of people are underpaid, sometimes by a large margin, at the most recent position they're quoting from, I recommend as a default response that you not provide any salary history information or an expected figure for salary.

Sometimes, due to organizational policy, ironclad procedure, or some bullshit that a recruiter made up on the spot, one will insist on having a number before proceeding any further in the process. If you have the luxury of being choosy, I recommend at that point that you walk away. It's far more likely that that employer would offer you a sub-competitive salary anyway, and if your reason for finding a new job is primarily to get a raise, you are much better off looking elsewhere.

Salary offers are not the place for an employer to be pinching pennies. In the grand scheme of things, salary is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of hiring an employee. Therefore an employee looking to save on labor costs by offering marginal salary increases is some flavor of exploitative or simply isn't as interested in hiring you as you are in finding a job.

You always want to talk actual figures after a job offer is cut and sent to you. Talking about anything before you have a written offer in your possession is disadvantaging to the prospective applicant.

Obviously the situation isn't always going to offer you the luxury of walking away from the recruiting process. That's understandable, and everyone finds themselves in a position of "get a job, any job" at least once, I think. That being said, it is obviously one you want to avoid at any costs.

There are other factors and facets of this issue that can be expanded on, and I'm sure others here have some great insights to offer on the subject of salary negotiations and how it factors into the recruiting process.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 9, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Thank you. Great post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any way to change your default connection invitation message?

• Locked thread