Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Beef Waifu posted:

Tusk was the best punchghost because it was the most powerful version of it and it had one of the most satisfying breakthroughs to the actual punching in the series. It also looked like a cowboy, so that made it even better.

The only punchghost to rip open a dimensional barrier and punch the occupant. Tusk is the most badass punchghost. I honestly cant think of a better way to put it.

Actually , what is everyone's favorite stand? I think it would be interesting to see everyones reasons and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

My favourite stand so far is Sticky Fingers. It's the kind of oddly specific, silly stand that you'd expect to be found on a throwaway villain but it actually belongs to one of the most important protagonists, so you see it used in a variety of creative ways. Plus it really lets Araki flex his artistic muscles by showing weird poo poo like pieces of the background and people peeling away.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

amuayse posted:

I hope the villain of Jojolion doesn't have a punchghost stand.
I hope the villain of Jojolion is a bit like OT Josuke. A laid-back attitude coupled with intense greed, maybe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vilemoon posted:

Actually , what is everyone's favorite stand? I think it would be interesting to see everyones reasons and poo poo.

Purple Haze tied with Gold Experience, mostly because they look awesome coupled with really cool powers and their users also being two of my favorites.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Stone Free is rad as hell and I don't think I've ever quite gotten over turning sections of yourself into mobius strips to avoid turning inside-out being the coolest idea.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Sex Pistols is my favorite because they let Mista do impossible poo poo with his gun and I love that they're basically kids that Mista has to take care of or they refuse to work. I also really like Mandom but that's because I love ringo so much.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Choosing a favorite Stand is impossible, it's like choosing a favorite fight. ONE OF my favorites, aside from the obvious, is probably Diego's Scary Monster. Okay it's technically not HIS Stand that gave him the power but who gives a poo poo, his stripes spell DIO and his dino-human form is rad and vicious as gently caress.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

legendsuper posted:

The last punchghost stand we had was Tusk, and it was like the only one of its kind in part 7.
I think Araki graduated from attack stands to utility stands.

Well, D4C did cut off Johnny's hand, and Dio From Another Universe had The World (though I don't think it punched anyone), but yeah for the most part there is far less ghost punching. I can't remember the last time someone attacked a stand in order to hurt the user.

I recently finished rereading SBR, and I totally forgot that Lucy pretty much single-handedly kills DFAU at the end.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Favourite stand is a really tough choice. I'm a sucker for really specific powers so a lot of the ones mentioned are up there for me: Sticky Fingers, Stone Free, Sex Pistols. My favourite might end up being Echoes Act 3 because it had an attitude that came out of nowhere, and it got to have major contributions to important moments in part 4.

CaptainFish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Crazy Diamond, the design combined with how radical its powers are and the major applications of it are fantastic. It also has one of the best stand names in the series too and I love its battle cry even if it's just an extension of SP's.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Stone Free is rad as hell and I don't think I've ever quite gotten over turning sections of yourself into mobius strips to avoid turning inside-out being the coolest idea.

Agreed, Stone Free looks amazing and has an incredibly flexible and visually cool power. My runner up is probably Killer Queen, being able to blow up anything including time is just too radical and made the confrontations with Kira really intense.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Stone Free, hands down. Stone Free is kind of the definitive 'seems useless, will wreck you completely' Stand, and it has bar-none my favorite visual design in the series. 'I can turn into string' is among the most absurdly specific abilities in the series, and the number of ways Jolyne manages to put it to use is just cool as hell.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
I enjoyed the use of tattoo you. You'd think 11 people able to go through each others backs wouldn't have much combat application, but those guys made good use out of it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Agreed, Stone Free looks amazing and has an incredibly flexible and visually cool power. My runner up is probably Killer Queen, being able to blow up anything including time is just too radical and made the confrontations with Kira really intense.

Wait, when did he do that? I don't remember.

Best is Echoes, all of them.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

DicktheCat posted:

Wait, when did he do that? I don't remember.

Best is Echoes, all of them.

I think he was referring to BITE THE DUST.

Also, my favorite is Moody Blues. The fact that its a stand made to basically rewind actions is a really cool ability- too bad it had no combat use.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Gotta concur with Sticky Fingers. The practical applications of putting zippers on things let Araki show his most creative moments in an already crazy series.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Star Platinum posted:

Choosing a favorite Stand is impossible, it's like choosing a favorite fight.

Echoes Act 3. Bruno vs. Pesci. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Evolving Stands (Tusk and Echoes) are my favorite because Araki is really good at tying their evolution to their users going from :shobon: to :ssj:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I personally like King Crimson. It's just so... angry.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Evolving Stands (Tusk and Echoes) are my favorite because Araki is really good at tying their evolution to their users going from :shobon: to :ssj:

I'm not a big fan of the evolving Stands because the powerups tend to be overly convenient.

My favorites are Crazy Diamond (a powerful Stand, but powerful because of creative applications of one special ability rather than because of a random powerup), Highway Star (for providing an interesting and fairly funny challenge), and Stone Free (for being a weak-seeming ability that's used in creative ways).

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It's not especially weird or used in especially unexpected or creative ways, but I still love Silver Chariot because gently caress YEAH ROBOT KNIGHT.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I always like Survivor for being a stand even Dio thinks is completely loving useless. Nut King Call is the best stand name though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The Hand, because Okuyasu.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's really impossible for me to choose a favorite stand, so I'll just go with Foo Fighters since it was the one with the most personality and she was really cool. I'm not even sure what its power entailed other than giving the planton sentience.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Crazy Diamond, it gets in the fun punchghost action while having a power beyond punching that's interesting while being specific and not whatever Araki decided to randomly let it do that week. It also just looks rad as hell.

Also I found a neat little thing that I really enjoy, it's got all the JoJos and their Stands to date. http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/Rolling_Jojos.swf

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 30, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Star Platinum, I'm a huge sucker for the aztec god meets 80's glam rock design.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pearl Jam

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I always like Survivor for being a stand even Dio thinks is completely loving useless. Nut King Call is the best stand name though.

It still almost got joylene killed though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pucci does what Dion't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite Stands for heroes and antagonists would have to be

Stardust Crusaders: Silver Chariot and Anubis
Diamond is Unbreakable: Heaven's Door, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Killer Queen
Vento Aureo: Purple Haze and White Album. Honorable mention to Gold Experience (pre-Requiem).
Stone Ocean: Stone Free and Whitesnake
Steel Ball Run: Tusk and In a Silent Way

In a Silent Way was basically Echoes, though.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I gotta say I really loving love King Nothing's design. Plus Norisuke is my favorite Jojolion character. I also have a soft spot for Hermit Purple, and still think if Joseph got it when he was young it would work like Stone Free.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Weather Report is cool because Heavy Weather is such a loving ludicrous ability it manages to be too weird even for Jojo. Being hypnotized by rainbows into becoming a goddamn snail.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StalkofWheat posted:

I gotta say I really loving love King Nothing's design. Plus Norisuke is my favorite Jojolion character. I also have a soft spot for Hermit Purple, and still think if Joseph got it when he was young it would work like Stone Free.

I'd like to believe that, as far as hypothetical scenarios go, young Joseph Joestar possessing any sort of stand would make him completely broken, even if we were to exclude his limited mind-reading ability.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I imagine if Jonathan had Hermit Purple in Phantom Blood, he'd have ended up having "Indigo Purple Overdrive" as a signature move or something.

Joseph Joestar with Hermit Purple in Battle Tendency, though, pretty much trivializes every fight since I'm pretty sure most of his enemies with the exception of ACDC wouldn't be able to do anything to Joseph if they were bound.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I imagine if Jonathan had Hermit Purple in Phantom Blood, he'd have ended up having "Indigo Purple Overdrive" as a signature move or something.

Joseph Joestar with Hermit Purple in Battle Tendency, though, pretty much trivializes every fight since I'm pretty sure most of his enemies with the exception of ACDC wouldn't be able to do anything to Joseph if they were bound.

Especially if they were bound by invisible ripple conducting ghost rope.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Good thing you brought that up. It made me realize why Hermit Purple is a decent-ish fit for Jonathan.

Hermit Purple conducts the Ripple and can be used to restrain the enemy for some of Jonathan's attacks.

Of course, its actual power is divination, which Joseph would be able to get much better usage out of than his grandfather.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:ms:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Jonathan with Tusk is an interesting idea, although it doesn't really lend itself to his fighting style. I just want to see if Ripple bullets would be different than Spin bullets.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Closest thing to Ripple bullets are Caesar's bubbles, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Closest thing to Ripple bullets are Caesar's bubbles, I think.

The bottle cap Joseph used was basically a ripple bullet.

• Locked thread