Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

AshB posted:

Sure that's easily one of the best scenes. But there are a ton of other fights where people were just really creative with using their surroundings, even if the bending was a variation of something we'd already seen (Toph vs. earthbenders in the arena, Katara vs. Master Pakku, Aang vs. Bumi, Aang vs. Ozai). Korra has lots of great fight choreography, but the bending hasn't been that creative as far as I can remember. I'm not even saying there aren't any good examples; I just honestly don't remember them.

I kinda liked the short Korra vs Tarrlok fight as far as creative new techniques goes. Hopefully the four super villains this season have some good showings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Superstring posted:

I kinda liked the short Korra vs Tarrlok fight as far as creative new techniques goes. Hopefully the four super villains this season have some good showings.

A lot of the Waterbender fights are pretty good in terms of that, even if it's just a lot of constant state-shifting.

Firebending is less exciting but Firebending is always kind of the least exciting art. It is almost always fire-fueled kung fu more than unique manipulation of the state, especially since Firebending comes from inside instead of an outside source and there are very rarely open fires around to manipulate (unless you're M. Night Shyamalan, of course.)

Airbending has some cool and creative moves, although its biggest problem is largely that the only skilled airbender isn't much of a fighter so we don't get to see them much. Since Aang was the lead in TLA, we got more straight action from him.

Earthbending probably got the biggest downgrade in that everyone is more careful about destroying the area around them for the most part so Metalbending and low-impact moves get a bigger emphasis than the giant crazy earth-destroying moves, but there is still a lot of creativity in how those moves are used. (Aside from Bolin who is extremely extremely conservative as far as Earthbenders go, which is understandable from a character perspective but kinda dull.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

pentyne posted:

After seeing this map the Earth Queen has a hell of a good reason to be pissed. The Earth Kingdom lost 1/3 of its land and it was the victim of the Fire Nation's aggression for over 100 years.

That map looks super off compared to this.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

edit: Speaking of the respective nations, isn't the Fire Nation supposed to be Imperial Japan? Earth Kingdom is a blend of China/North Korea, The Air Nomads are Tibetian, and the Water tribes are...Inuits?

Er, not exactly, no on a couple of counts. I wrote up a lot of cultural analyses previously, someone helped archive them on tumblr.

The Fire Nation is based heavily on the Chinese Qin Dynasty given its expansionist and militaristic nature. Though ironically, IIRC the Qin associated themselves more with the element of Water rather than Fire.

The Earth Kingdom, being the biggest of the four nations, its influences are drawn from a medley of different cultures and include Tang Dynasty China as well as Korea (a couple women were shown wearing Korean-style hanbok), but Ba Sing Se is distinctly based on the Chinese Qing dynasty (not to be confused with the Qin).

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Superstring posted:

The waterbending in ep 3 made me say wow in ways not seen since some of Katara's finer moments. I have high hopes for that lady at least.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of Katara, where is she any ways? Bumi made a comment about how she would be proud to know there's another Airbender in the family but we haven't seen hide, nor hair from her since the end of Season 1. We didn't see her during the civil war, which you'd think would be important to her seeing as she also has ties to both the North and South tribes now.

I understand that they want to distance themselves from the Gaang but it would appear Zuko's going to be a big player in this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about Toph's brood since we're supposed to be meeting Lin's sister. It's not a huge deal but it would be kind of nice to know what she's been up to since she was a non-factor for her country's civil war

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aces High posted:

speaking of Katara, where is she any ways? Bumi made a comment about how she would be proud to know there's another Airbender in the family but we haven't seen hide, nor hair from her since the end of Season 1. We didn't see her during the civil war, which you'd think would be important to her seeing as she also has ties to both the North and South tribes now.

I understand that they want to distance themselves from the Gaang but it would appear Zuko's going to be a big player in this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about Toph's brood since we're supposed to be meeting Lin's sister. It's not a huge deal but it would be kind of nice to know what she's been up to since she was a non-factor for her country's civil war

Wasn't she there when Jinora left her body?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Katara showed up multiple times in Season 2, what the hell are you talking about? Season 2 literally opened with Katara inviting her entire family to the festival. She was the one keeping Jinora's body alive after her soul got kidnapped.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aces High posted:

That's not true, she was in Season 2 a couple of times. At the start, when they went to that Glacier Spirits Festival, and then later they brought spiritless Jinora to her for healing.

Edit: Beaten on both counts!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I clearly do not remember Season 2 that well

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm actually really hyped about the bending this season. Ming Hua became my favorite new character of the season just from seeing episode three.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Hmm, yeah I forgot about metal bending guy being one of the guys locked up. Why did the villain even bother telling them to ration food then? Oh well.

That animation sequence from A:TLA was definitely sick, I don't even remember seeing that episode. We certainly haven't seen anything quite that good so far, although the final few episodes of last season had some good stuff and I'm hopeful that we get the 4 prisoners vs. Avatar state Korra at some point.

I probably should walk back my "kid gloves are off" viewpoint, but it's hard to do so when we're seeing the bad guys straight up murdering dudes rather than shocking them unconscious and whatnot. High hopes for the kidnapped airbenders arc to be suitably bleak as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a children's show at the end of the day. No matter what, the kid gloves are never coming off. They may stretch their limit sometimes but it is a Nick show.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AshB posted:

When does Legend of Korra have something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFNjLnVVJw I'm honestly curious because I don't remember anything that creative.

Man, you forget how awesome Aang was until you see stuff like this and you see him blasts huge boulders out of the sky without even bothering to look at them.

God the original series was great.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ImpAtom posted:

It is a children's show at the end of the day. No matter what, the kid gloves are never coming off. They may stretch their limit sometimes but it is a Nick show.

Yeah, to put my view in a better perspective, I guess, the gloves coming off for me is allowing the casual no-name characters to appear to die in fights, even if it happens offscreen. I'm not expecting people to use waterbending blades to start slicing off limbs or anything.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AshB posted:

When does Legend of Korra have something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFNjLnVVJw I'm honestly curious because I don't remember anything that creative.

ATLA Aang could beat the poo poo out of Korra, no joke.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
One of the things that is not great about the current animation crew is that fights are super fast, so there's not a lot of time to see the bending moves. People are also doing stuff that clearly violate whatever laws of bending were set up in ATLA, but I think part of that is the show's dedication to always showing us new moves every fight, which I have to respect.

Also no one's invented the gun yet. It wouldn't be the END of bending, but it would be the end of bending as a close-combat option. Part of that is probably that it's on Nick; they don't want the enemies to just have a lot of guns, but even in ATLA the Fire Nation had super-advanced tanks which could turn themselves upside down but somehow, not guns. It would also be silly.

"We've got these four super-benders who want to take out the Avatar. We also have a guy with the gun. Both have about equal chance. The guy with the gun will just be faster."

Or whatever, they couch crush her with a rock while she's sleeping. Wouldn't require a whole lot of bending. She would have to use the Vaatu cheat code to get out of that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

Episodios en espaņol: quinta edicion

Super spoilers:

2. I may have mistranslated, but I think Toph cheated and got caught pregnant by her husband.

EPISODE 6 MEGASPOILERS!

3.Police corruption! (I didn't understand if Toph resigned directly after that or if she got forced out on a later date.

I watched the episodes with fansubs and they translated those a little different. Not that that I'd know which was correct.

For the first it was just said that the two were half sisters and neither had ever met their fathers, so the implication seemed to me Toph was just having one night stands or short love affairs.

For the second, Lin said the incident caused Toph's career to end in disgrace, but Su objected saying she retired a year later with full honors. Lin counters by saying that Toph was driven to resign by the shame she felt.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, to put my view in a better perspective, I guess, the gloves coming off for me is allowing the casual no-name characters to appear to die in fights, even if it happens offscreen. I'm not expecting people to use waterbending blades to start slicing off limbs or anything.

The ration thing was more because it's more obvious that there's people there when they break out the waterbender for instance they don't really dwell on the fact that a few of the white lotus dudes went over the edge into a pit of lava.

Aces High posted:

I understand that they want to distance themselves from the Gaang but it would appear Zuko's going to be a big player in this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about Toph's brood since we're supposed to be meeting huge spoiler. It's not a huge deal but it would be kind of nice to know what she's been up to since she was a non-factor for her country's civil war
Uh yeah that hasn't been mentioned in the show yet.

Also how long until ratings for the show are released I wanna see if the rush to release it hurt it a bit.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 29, 2014

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

pentyne posted:

After seeing this map the Earth Queen has a hell of a good reason to be pissed. The Earth Kingdom lost 1/3 of its land and it was the victim of the Fire Nation's aggression for over 100 years.

She has a good reason to be pissed about things that happened probably before she was alive? If those tracts of land were ceded to the United Republic of Nations, it was because they were probably already populated by the descendants of Fire Nation settlers who had lived there for 100 years and the native Earth Kingdom population, who had all blended together and didn't want to be torn apart by being given to either nation. Creating a separate new entity state for them was the only way to resolve the conflict peacefully.

I mean, there's no way you can even lend the Earth Queen a bit of sympathy -- the only thing she's really mad about is having less citizens to tax. That land was parceled out -- possibly by Kuei, to whom she should be related in some manner (father? grandfather?) -- long before she came into power, and likely before she was even born.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

pentyne posted:

If Ba Sing Se is to scale, then the world is a very small place. The size of Belgium.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

The airbending plotline bothers me because I can't help but shake the feeling that the people rejecting Tenzin and co. are being portrayed as wrong for not abandoning everything for a culture they have no connection to or heritage from.
I believe you may feel that way because Tenzin himself feels that way. I really hoped that he would have a realization of some sort at the end of the first interview, but it never came. I can't believe that a grown, intelligent man like Tenzin doesn't realize how much of a life-choice it is to become an Air Nomad. Especially when all the people living in the Air Temples right now are non-benders who decided to follow the Air Nomads' way of life.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

If Varrick is coming back, do we get to see Zhu Li do the thing? :allears:

Better, at least in my opinion : we finally get to see some quiet exasperation from her about the fact that her boss makes a mess of things and leaves her to do all the clean up.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Sparky Boom Boom Girl sounded a LOT like Azula
Grey DeLisle (now Grey Griffin) actually voices Ming Hua, the armless waterbending lady.

Sithsaber posted:

I'm relieved that they stepped back from the abyss that was the eska-Bolin relationship although I expect one last good catfight after Opul gets established.
I'm expecting something rather weird myself : the reveal of an established diplomatic relationship between the Metal Clan and the Northern Water Tribe, and Eska and Opal being sort-of friends from the days when Unalaq would make diplomatic visits.

And I'm all for any fight involving Eska. I wonder why they made Desna and her part of the Worf Effect Squad so early, given how lackluster they were in Book 2, with only one real fight under their belts, and not a very good one.

AshB posted:

Y'know, I was watching clips of the Book 2 finale, and it was jarring just how unimpressive all the bending is in this series compared to A:TLA. Most of it is just blasting stuff with fire or air, lobbing rocks at people, or whipping them with water. This is like Green Lantern making nothing but green bubbles all the god drat time.
Book 2 is terrible on the bending front though, easily the worst Book as far as that is concerned. The most interesting fight for me was Unalaq vs. The Ferret Brothers, and that was very short and one-sided. And don't get me started on the twins and how unimpressive their bending was after the way they were hyped!

Book 3 has some really nice new bending styles from the bad guys though, and it's already better on that front!

SirKibbles posted:

The ration thing was more because it's more obvious that there's people there when they break out the waterbender for instance they don't really dwell on the fact that a few of the white lotus dudes went over the edge into a pit of lava.
Although I must say, if the White Lotus was stupid enough to not leave a few guys at the other end of the bridge just in case, that will make them the most foolish organization in the history of ever.

P.S : I liked the first three episodes. Really, I did! It makes Apple's decision of taking Korra off their iTunes catalog all the more infuriating. What happened there, I wonder?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 29, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baron Bifford posted:

If Ba Sing Se is to scale, then the world is a very small place. The size of Belgium.

Yeah, that seems about right, given how quickly everyone seemed to be traversing the world.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Just got all caught up. Anybody else notice the evil Earthbender is wielding their version of this?:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

X_Toad posted:

I believe you may feel that way because Tenzin himself feels that way. I really hoped that he would have a realization of some sort at the end of the first interview, but it never came. I can't believe that a grown, intelligent man like Tenzin doesn't realize how much of a life-choice it is to become an Air Nomad. Especially when all the people living in the Air Temples right now are non-benders who decided to follow the Air Nomads' way of life.

Acknowledging that being an Air Nomad is a huge, life-defining decision would mean coming to terms with the fact that it was forced upon him. This is going to be a real problem when he has to face the reality that the reason it was forced upon him - the idea that airbenders must be Air Nomads - turns out to be false. Him being grown and intelligent isn't gonna stop that from hurting.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Charlz Guybon posted:

I watched the episodes with fansubs and they translated those a little different. Not that that I'd know which was correct.

For the first it was just said that the two were half sisters and neither had ever met their fathers, so the implication seemed to me Toph was just having one night stands or short love affairs.

For the second, Lin said the incident caused Toph's career to end in disgrace, but Su objected saying she retired a year later with full honors. Lin counters by saying that Toph was driven to resign by the shame she felt.

I thought Lin said her "sister" broke up her family?

Ps. http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140628223130/avatar/images/5/55/UR_lands.png
The map you guys are using is wrong.

Pps. I think Charlz needs to fix his post; he didn't do the spoiler tag right.(edit:never mind) I also think we should use the spoiler tag for broadcasted episodes and a extra Warning disclaimer for leaked episodes.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 29, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Those aren't the spoiler rules. If it's aired and you haven't seen it, stay out of the thread.

I'm of the opinion we shouldn't even be discussing the leaks because it's turning parts of this thread into a CIA document.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrAristocrates posted:

Those aren't the spoiler rules. If it's aired and you haven't seen it, stay out of the thread.

I'm of the opinion we shouldn't even be discussing the leaks because it's turning parts of this thread into a CIA document.

I would second that stance. The leaks sound neat and all, but I don't see much point in discussing events a month in advance.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would second that stance. The leaks sound neat and all, but I don't see much point in discussing events a month in advance.

These "events" have been in place longer than the first three episodes. I do think this thread is becoming a two tiered discussion made up of law abiding citizens/suckers vs those who can understand basic spanish/ narcissistic neerdowells. This thread will look like a heavily redacted memoir until the giffers and amateur artists "grace" us with their presence.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
There is nothing shameful about supporting the show by watching it as it's officially released.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

AshB posted:

There is nothing shameful about supporting the show by watching it as it's officially released.

And there is nothing damnable about watching it twice.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

AshB posted:

I don't know how official my "don't have a television/livestream viewing" was.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

dj_clawson posted:

I don't know how official my "don't have a television/livestream viewing" was.

The cable companies' status as a outdated racket is another debate entirely. The fact is that the content is already out there. Banning talk of it will just turn this thread into a laughingstock.

Ps. Did MrAristo really delete his quote of me? drat these people take their embargo seriously.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 29, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

But he is fulfilling his custom title by posting things a month early that people will just skip over!?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 29, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't argue with Sithsaber, guys. This is what he does.

Don't report him, either. This is the Korra thread, the Mods have forsaken us.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

MrAristocrates posted:

What the hell. Plug your ears guys, the bilinguals have more access to your precious cartoons than you do. Why are you whining now? I was the one who advocated double spoilers for leaked episodes, and I've been talking to the korra+ people, not those who choose to wait for regularly scheduled programming and legitimate reruns.(like I did until last friday) It seems that the adventuretards have a grudge over not "winning" every argument.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrAristocrates posted:

I see, so the Korra thread is the New Jersey of TV IV, forsaken and desolate with a weird smell and a population of orange-colored troll-people. Makes sense.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I see, so the Korra thread is the New Jersey of TV IV, forsaken and desolate with a weird smell and a population of orange-colored troll-people. Makes sense.

You forgot to mention the god awful Newark middle class,who as you well know like to huddle in their lovely cop bars and pretend not to see the world around them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

X_Toad posted:

Book 2 is terrible on the bending front though, easily the worst Book as far as that is concerned. The most interesting fight for me was Unalaq vs. The Ferret Brothers, and that was very short and one-sided. And don't get me started on the twins and how unimpressive their bending was after the way they were hyped!

Book 3 has some really nice new bending styles from the bad guys though, and it's already better on that front!

Are you not counting Wan's fight as book 2 for some reason? Because that was visually amazing. It didn't have the pace and energy of, say, the battle at the monastery, but it was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Are you not counting Wan's fight as book 2 for some reason? Because that was visually amazing. It didn't have the pace and energy of, say, the battle at the monastery, but it was gorgeous.

Nobody count's Wan's anything as part of Season 2, cause the rest of season 2 is kinda crap. Hell, the way they actually got to Wan's story was probably the lowest point in the series with amnesia out of nowhere.

• Locked thread