Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Im That One Guy posted:

Price drop to $360 shipped

A $4k P67 and a $360 P67 on the same page, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
i have a 6x7 i don't use much - where can i sell it for 4k? i'd be happy with 1k actually considering i bought it for 500.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Hello everybody.

I just got myself a Tachi 8x10 with a Nikkor-W 360mm. Am very excited (e: even more surface area for dust :getin: )

I think it's funny that you decided that the best course of action after dropping and breaking your 4x5 was to get a bigger, more expensive camera.

edit: in addition to replacing the 4x5, even.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 29, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Ezekiel_980 posted:

My father seems to have contracted a mental illness and wants to buy a large format, most likely a 4x5. I know little to nothing about 4x5 except that I can't afford it. He's been talking about horseman cameras, are they any good? Or is there another make that would be a better choice for some one who's trying it out for the first time?

Horseman, Toyo, Wista, Shen Hao and Chamonix, (Linhoff if you hate money) all seem to make pretty solid 4x5 field cameras from what I've read. I guess it really depends what your father is looking for in a camera. I haven't actually used any of them, so just buy a Chamonix.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

My father seems to have contracted a mental illness and wants to buy a large format, most likely a 4x5. I know little to nothing about 4x5 except that I can't afford it. He's been talking about horseman cameras, are they any good? Or is there another make that would be a better choice for some one who's trying it out for the first time?

They're fine but there's a bunch of different kinds of Horseman 4x5 so it's impossible to tell how severe your father's mental illness is.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

They're fine but there's a bunch of different kinds of Horseman 4x5 so it's impossible to tell how severe your father's mental illness is.

Can you ballpark it on a scale of 1 to Sludge Tank?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
It could be worse. I recently moved and turned a tidy profit selling my condo. I was looking at property listings in my new city and commenting on how expensive they were, when one of my friends joked, "Property ownership is overrated. Get into ULF."

I briefly considered it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

He's been eyeing a horseman 45. I think he's envious that I got a 6x7.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Can you ballpark it on a scale of 1 to Sludge Tank?
Sludge Tank sails to Antarctica with his LF gear. Ezekiel_980, has your father ever said "I'm just going out and I may be some time"? :ohdear:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

He's been eyeing a horseman 45. I think he's envious that I got a 6x7.

This is a Horseman 45(HD):

This is a Horseman (Woodman) 45:

This is a Horseman (LX)45:

:v:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
He's eyeing a woodsman, and he was talking about hiking up a local mountain to get some landscapes. So far he's hasn't gotten to sludge tank level so he may be in the very early stages of the illness. I've been trying to talk him down to a medium format but it's not working.

For my own interest anyone know if the Pentax 67 55-100 zoom is worth the $700 price tag?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You'd probably be better off just getting two primes. It really depends on how much you like zooming.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think it's funny that you decided that the best course of action after dropping and breaking your 4x5 was to get a bigger, more expensive camera.

edit: in addition to replacing the 4x5, even.

One day I'll be good at this. :smithicide:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hey man, everyone learns from their mistakes. I usually require making the same mistake twice before it "sticks". Which might explain why I have so many crappy cameras...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Just out of curiosity, what's your typical shooting process, LF guys? Do you unfold the camera and pop in the lensboard for every shot or do you set it up before you head out and walk/drive around with it ready to go?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

try it with a lime posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's your typical shooting process, LF guys? Do you unfold the camera and pop in the lensboard for every shot or do you set it up before you head out and walk/drive around with it ready to go?

I would typically unfold for every shot, but the Wista i used normally could fit a lens in it while folded which was super convenient.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I setup up every time. A few times I've left the camera setup and just put it on the backseat of the car but I try not to because it would increase my chances of breaking tenfold with my luck.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I generally keep it assembled during a day of shooting. No point in a full teardown each time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I spend a good 15 min setting up a dark tent, 15 min getting all the chemicals out and setup on a table and ready to go, 10 minutes getting the trays and beakers ready, and then 10 minutes getting the camera ready to take a lovely picture, 10 minutes shooting/dev/fixing to see the exposure is wrong, then another two goes until I get it right :smithicide:

Or I stop being a masochist and learn to shoot dry plate.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I do a setup and teardown for every shot, much easier when walking around tight urban areas for me.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's something I really hadn't thought of before until I heard Joel Meyerwitz talking about how he'd just wander around town with his 8x10 setup on a tripod when he was shooting Cape Light. I've learned from experience how fast cameras can fly off the passenger side seat into the dashboard and while I'm not overly protective of certain cameras, I'd be pretty fearful of having that happen to anything with extended bellows.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Depends how much I'm moving around. Setup/teardown is pretty quick with the Chamonix, so unless I know I'm going to be taking another photo soon, I pack it up.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Depends how much I'm moving around. Setup/teardown is pretty quick with the Chamonix, so unless I know I'm going to be taking another photo soon, I pack it up.

It would have been so much faster if the front standard screw on the Chamonix can be tightened/loosened with just 1-2 turns, like all the other screw parts on the body. Maybe they felt there might have been an issue with stability if the bellows was extended long or a heavy lens.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lan Su Bamboo by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ezekiel_980 posted:

For my own interest anyone know if the Pentax 67 55-100 zoom is worth the $700 price tag?

It's a modern, well-corrected medium-format zoom that's about as sharp as the primes in its focal range. Compared to the 55/4, the 75/4.5, and 105/2.4, it costs and weighs as much as any two of them. Maybe all 3 depending on how well you bargain hunt. And you're giving up 1 1/2 stop of speed from the 105/2.4 and 1/3 from the 55/4.

The P67 zooms are both pretty great, assuming the speed is acceptable, and they're definitely as good as it gets in medium format. It's just a matter of whether you like zooms or primes better.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 30, 2014

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I finally ordered a lens hood for my Yashica TLR. I came across a few websites that recomended adding flocking material on the interior to help prevent internal reflections. I am going to wait to see how the lens hood helps. I dont mind a small amount of flaring, bit I have had a few great shots completely ruined.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

daspope posted:

I finally ordered a lens hood for my Yashica TLR. I came across a few websites that recomended adding flocking material on the interior to help prevent internal reflections. I am going to wait to see how the lens hood helps. I dont mind a small amount of flaring, bit I have had a few great shots completely ruined.

I added flocking to the inside of mine (Yashica mat) due to the fact that the film box interior isn't very matte, for lack of a better word. Known issue with that model, I believe they added baffles in later ones or something. Absolutely fixed any issue I had with the camera, and I'm still shooting without a hood. I can dig up the material I ordered when I get home if you're interested, but it was designed for telescopes and I haven't had any issues with it shedding on my film or anything.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Depends on the situation. I would often travel around with it in a briefcase that it folded down into. Sometimes if I saw someone I wanted to shoot after finishing up with someone else, I'd just move it, on the tripod, and the briefcase over to the person and ask them if they were okay with the photograph. Sometimes it's just too dang far and too much equipment though.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Shellman posted:

I added flocking to the inside of mine (Yashica mat) due to the fact that the film box interior isn't very matte, for lack of a better word. Known issue with that model, I believe they added baffles in later ones or something. Absolutely fixed any issue I had with the camera, and I'm still shooting without a hood. I can dig up the material I ordered when I get home if you're interested, but it was designed for telescopes and I haven't had any issues with it shedding on my film or anything.

Thank you for the quick response. I am glad to hear that it is fixable. I like everything else about the camera except for the flaring. On the two guides I found they recommended Prostar Flocked light trap material as seen here http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm.

I have found it far easier and reliable to ask here instead of other public photo sites.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

daspope posted:

Thank you for the quick response. I am glad to hear that it is fixable. I like everything else about the camera except for the flaring. On the two guides I found they recommended Prostar Flocked light trap material as seen here http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm.

I have found it far easier and reliable to ask here instead of other public photo sites.

That's the stuff I used. I'm not sure if anyone else here has done any flocking on Yashicas, I think I asked about it a while back before I did it. It comes in an enormous roll that you will use very little of in flocking one little camera. lovely examples of before/after flocking (excuse the lack of dust removal on the first one):

Before (terribad flaring though the sun was not even in frame).

After (slide film shot on a super bright morning with the sun just up and to the left of frame).

So yeah, night and day of difference. Took maybe an hour to get everything done nicely, I cut paper templates to fit the camera and then cut the flocking to match those, fitted it in.

edit: no hood either.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 1, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
:negative:

I just bought a 6x7 body, working metered prism, grip, and an untested toshiba flash.

Thanks a lot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I just bought a 6x7 body, working metered prism, grip, and an untested toshiba flash.

Thanks a lot.

Well done you. Now go out and burn some film!

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Shellman posted:

So yeah, night and day of difference. Took maybe an hour to get everything done nicely, I cut paper templates to fit the camera and then cut the flocking to match those, fitted it in.
edit: no hood either.

That is a relief. I am going to go ahead and order some.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Wild EEPROM posted:

Thanks a lot.

Shoot shoot shoot.

I even switched to 220 recently so I could shoot EVEN MORE!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Shoot shoot shoot.

I even switched to 220 recently so I could shoot EVEN MORE!

Twice the frames at more than twice the price! I guess changing rolls in the 67 can be a bit of a bitch though. And in my 67ii I get that extra frame :whatup:. Though I can't find a split prism screen for it. :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Stanley Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lyndhurst Terrace, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Niiice

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

I found a lot on Craigslist of 9 boxes of Portra 400 and 5 boxes of Velvia 50. All expired and freezer kept. What would be a fair offer?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A box of 5 Portra new goes for €27 here, which is about 40 bucks. Velvia 50 is a total ripoff at over €10 a roll. Depending on how expired, I'd say a fair offer would be I guess at least $70 but offer $50 or something and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Pictures from the guy who is sending it to me

Awww yessssss.

• Locked thread