Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The pro way of doing prestor john is starting at the Kingdom of Jerusalem bookmark as an ethiopian count, swearing fealty to Jerusalem and converting to Catholicism.

....I... gently caress. Yeah that sounds a lot easier, though admittedly I had fun running around pounding islands into dust. I think British Raj looks like there's a way to achieve it real easily as well; I'll just have to look at it closely to find that way. What's the pro way of doing Black Bishop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I seem to have lost the ability to hold feasts. The option for it isn't in the intrigue menu at all. I'm thinking it's a bug since my last ruler died while she was holding a feast, but the event didn't continue on when my current ruler inherited. The debug info in the console for my character also lists "coming to feast" and "guest feast started" as event flags even though I never get any events for it.

My current guy inherited about 4 years ago and I would really like to be able to do a feast since most of my vassals don't like me much. Is there any way to get around this? I don't know anything about modding and haven't messed with any of the flags before, so I don't know how involved fixing this would be.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Does anyone know any good performance mods? The link to the one in the OP doesn't seem to work anymore and I've already turned off all the tree, rivers, and poo poo in the .ini file.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rodyle posted:

Does anyone know any good performance mods? The link to the one in the OP doesn't seem to work anymore and I've already turned off all the tree, rivers, and poo poo in the .ini file.

I've both asked this and gone looking on my own and never got an answer. Graphics-based performance mods are nearly worthless anyways, since for any computer made in the last decade the real problem is almost certainly the proliferation of AI characters and events, not graphics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do I have to siege the holding they give me, or can I switch the target for a siege somehow?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I hosed up.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
There's a sale on EU4 on Steam right now. If you've had a lot fun with CK2 but not yet played any other Paradox games is it worth buying EU4?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Adun posted:

There's a sale on EU4 on Steam right now. If you've had a lot fun with CK2 but not yet played any other Paradox games is it worth buying EU4?

I really love EU4, but it's a very different experience than CK2. There's a lot more micromanaging and traditional long term 4X strategy (tech, buildings) involved, and expansion and warfare are much slower in general. There's also little to no roleplaying, as you are a country, not a dynasty. On the other hand, it has a lot more unique events for basically every important country, and a few for most of the unimportant ones.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

EU4 is less personal and more external. CK2 has you juggling personalities internally, EU4 is has a more refined version of diplomacy with other states. Basically, if you like a lot of the expansion-y bits of CK2, you'll probably love EU4. The kind of military thinking - massing and mobilizing forces, striking when an enemy is weak, negotiating a balance of power - is what EU4 is all about. It just massively simplifies the personal and internal politics of your country to do that (except economics; It also does national/international trade better than CK2.) Personally I love it, but it can seem a little shallow compared to CK2.

Kenzie posted:

That's loving great. I didn't know you could do that. I bought EUIV during a sale a ways back, but never got around to trying it. Now I really want to try this sometime.

It's very satisfying, but also very boring. It is fun to have the Aztec Empire finally annex the last bit of Ming China in the year 1520 or whatever, but any national that owns the map in CK2 is going to be pretty boring in EU4, and the Aztecs own more than the CK2 map at the start!

Still, again, super fun. And enabling the Sunset Invasion mod gives other groups in the new world Westernish tech, so you could always build up a giant Aztec empire and then fight against it as the Mayan merchant republic of the Caribbean or something. The Incans even have their own idea and religion, I think it's similar but a bit more trady to the Aztec's NI.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know who the mouthbreather is that thought all achievements should be tied to Ironman but it was pretty ingenuous tying the most ubiquitous incentive for gameplay in the industry with the shittiest game mode. XCOM lets me get pop-ups in the lower right hand of my screen without requiring I have the twin cheese-graters of "constant auto-saving" and "no mods" riding my chaffed dick, why can't you CK2?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

First Bass posted:

I don't know who the mouthbreather is that thought all achievements should be tied to Ironman but it was pretty ingenuous tying the most ubiquitous incentive for gameplay in the industry with the shittiest game mode. XCOM lets me get pop-ups in the lower right hand of my screen without requiring I have the twin cheese-graters of "constant auto-saving" and "no mods" riding my chaffed dick, why can't you CK2?

Mods plus achievements doesn't make sense to me, and the new 6month autosave is great, but maybe you play at a way faster speed than I do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ofaloaf posted:

I hosed up.

Wow, tough luck. At least you own land in different kingdoms, so one opportunistic Seljuk invasion alone cannot take you out of the game. You can still salvage this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheHoosier posted:

I did the tried-and-true method of starting as Badass Count of Nantes

Haesteinn is my favorite character. Doesn't matter what my plan is for the game (Norse Reformation, Crusader, Byzantine Emperor, Caliph), I love starting as him.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
What are some good duchies/holdings to try and get in the De Jure kingdoms of Germany and Bavaria? Nothing seems to jump out as obviously as other de jure kingdoms.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What are some good duchies/holdings to try and get in the De Jure kingdoms of Germany and Bavaria? Nothing seems to jump out as obviously as other de jure kingdoms.

Isn't Brunswick like 6 counties?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quick question: is there a way to make the Pope hate someone?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Jedit posted:

Quick question: is there a way to make the Pope hate someone?

Stab popes until the current pope hates him.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just made my first anti-pope and woooooooooow is that a whole new ballgame. A couple of questions tho:

1: Is there a way to see how much of my income comes from the money my anti-pope is making me?
2: Quick ways to gain piety i might not know about?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dongattack posted:

Just made my first anti-pope and woooooooooow is that a whole new ballgame. A couple of questions tho:

1: Is there a way to see how much of my income comes from the money my anti-pope is making me?

Go into your ledger and flip till you get to the income page, you'll be able to see your total income there. To see the income from your pet pope, look into your character's vassals list and scroll until you find the Antipope. The piety and gold you get from him should be on the right-hand column.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

Go into your ledger and flip till you get to the income page, you'll be able to see your total income there. To see the income from your pet pope, look into your character's vassals list and scroll until you find the Antipope. The piety and gold you get from him should be on the right-hand column.

Thanks! Aw, just 7.9 gold for now. I'll work on it. All the other benefits was what i was after anyway, any gold beyond that is just a perk.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to tell when the cooldown for creating an antipope ends? I just switched my laws over to Free Investiture but I can't create an antipope because "an antipope was recently forcibly deposed."

e: In case anyone's wondering, I sort of figured it out. There's a modifier for the Catholic religion called deposed_antipope, so if you just open the save and search for "deposed" you can see the date when the modifier goes away. I've found conflicting reports on how long this modifier lasts but it's something like 50-80 years.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 29, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Bavaria and Austria are both good imo, with Munchen/Vienna having lots of subholdings for you to stack castles in for the multipliers. Bavaria is the better of the two but you can't go wrong with either.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! Aw, just 7.9 gold for now. I'll work on it. All the other benefits was what i was after anyway, any gold beyond that is just a perk.

Church holders who like the antipope more than the pope pay directly to you, not through the antipope, so the antipope income is no reflection of what you're actually making. The church holder section of your income statement will contain your antipope earnings, but not separated (unless you want to itemize the tooltip) from your direct vassal bishops.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...=1#post17647652

Well, poo poo...there goes the 480 AD mod. Any other alternatives?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Why add 115 provinces exclusively to North Africa? In places that are dominated by the Sahara! :psyduck:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is why meth is bad.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Why add 115 provinces exclusively to North Africa? In places that are dominated by the Sahara! :psyduck:

At some point I guess the modder just starts having more fun modding than playing. Good for him, but I had pretty high hopes for this one :(

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Dongattack posted:

It's all fun and games until Christendom declare an anti-anti-pope war on you. Had that happen once, luckily I owned all Britannia so could beat them off with some effort but drat having a Karling bring his whole drat dynasty into the war it was like trying to fight off the mongols.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sulla posted:

At some point I guess the modder just starts having more fun modding than playing. Good for him, but I had pretty high hopes for this one :(

Around when people began to post "Stop pushing Mahomet" it became clear something odd was going on.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Thrasophius posted:

It's all fun and games until Christendom declare an anti-anti-pope war on you. Had that happen once, luckily I owned all Britannia so could beat them off with some effort but drat having a Karling bring his whole drat dynasty into the war it was like trying to fight off the mongols.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sulla posted:

The modder did explain why they got added:

quote:

quote:

Wait, why are the tiny provinces in the desert wastes and the big ones on the densely packed coast?
The Garamantes were the regional power of North Africa, based on hundreds of highly fortified, self-sufficient, and rich oasis cities. The small provinces exist to give Garaman the power it rightfully had.

And... I guess I can see adding some provinces for them. But 115? Really? Jesus.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sulla posted:

:psyboom:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Sulla posted:

what exactly is happening, I can't get into those forums and I want to have a laugh at baby Ubiks

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Person cramming 100+ provinces into the northern edge of Sahara, in order to represent oasis forts. They are about as dense as the ones in Italy, and much denser than the ones along the African coastline.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

catlord posted:

The modder did explain why they got added:

The Garamantes were the regional power of North Africa, based on hundreds of highly fortified, self-sufficient, and rich oasis cities. The small provinces exist to give Garaman the power it rightfully had.

And... I guess I can see adding some provinces for them. But 115? Really? Jesus.
[/quote]

Naturally, it's a much better solution to make a billion provinces in the rear end-end of the map than it is to just give the existing provinces a bunch of city holdings.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Isn't that the entire purpose of allowing more than one holding in a county? It's not like they all need to be under the same top level liege

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm trying to change succession laws, but I still have vassals fighting each other. I have medium crown authority; shouldn't that prevent vassals from fighting?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If that was the issue, why not simply solve it by putting a special building upgrade (like the Theodosian walls in Constantinople), that would give bonus revenue/levies/whatever in the appropriate provinces using the history files, rather than making the computation problem inconceivably worse and making so much more work for themselves by adding entire new provinces? :psyduck:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Shadeoses posted:

Person cramming 100+ provinces into the northern edge of Sahara, in order to represent oasis forts. They are about as dense as the ones in Italy, and much denser than the ones along the African coastline.

Is that all ?
I had hoped they were having some Islamophobic rants or at least more Westrome wankfests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
The guy him self isn't the one spewing islamaphobia. Its just a bunch of neckbeards shouting at the top of their lungs about how Islam was a fluke or some poo poo.

Not surprised with the feature bloat though. That poo poo happens all the time.

• Locked thread