Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So did y'all never have wise old people around to tell you about that kind of poo poo when you were a kid, were you just not listening, or did they not tell you because they secretly hated you?

How about bananas? Y'all know you're not supposed to be putting bananas in the fridge, right? Chiquita Banana sez no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

So did y'all never have wise old people around to tell you about that kind of poo poo when you were a kid, were you just not listening, or did they not tell you because they secretly hated you?

How about bananas? Y'all know you're not supposed to be putting bananas in the fridge, right? Chiquita Banana sez no.

I suppose the next thing you'll tell us is not to keep honey in the fridge.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I did not know the tomatoes thing. I wonder if that explains my dislike of uncooked tomato?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You are alone in this world, SubG :colbert:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I've never put ketchup in the fridge, which all of my friends think is weird. Am I the only one?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

No, I never put mine in the fridge either. That's weird.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

No, I never put mine in the fridge either. That's weird.

Me neither. SubG is totally right on this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

People put tomatoes in the fridge? :psyduck:

Oh man they get so gross and mealy.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you buy those cherry ones in the little container with the sticker for a lid it straight up tells you not to. What's the matter with you people not reading your sticker lid

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Nope. I've known that for years, too

Don't be putting your onions and garlic in there either.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only fruit we keep in the fridge is grapes because cold grapes rule.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I never put larger tomatoes in the refrigerator, but I have always put grape or cherry tomatoes in the fridge without thinking about it. It's never once occurred to me that this doesn't make sense. It actually bothers me deeply to think of leaving all types of tomatoes out on the counter together, but I don't know why. I've never even had a non-fridge tiny tomato. I'm an ignorant tomato segregationist and I never knew :cripes:

I can't live like this now that I'm enlightened. I'm gonna go buy some fresh, room temp grape tomatoes to taste and then leave out on the counter. The intolerance stops today.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 30, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The only fruit we keep in the fridge is grapes because cold grapes rule.

I also keep melon in the fridge after I cut it up cuz ice cold watermelon/canteloupe/honeydew owns so hard on a hot day.

Oh, and frozen grapes are fantastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There there, fizzymercy, as long as you repent of your old ways and resolve to put tomatoes out at room temperature from now on, that's all that matters in the eyes of God.

These other GWS'ers are just upset because they've been storing tomatoes at room temperature for years and are upset feel they deserve some recognition for being faithful non-fridgers all these years. Instead of celebrating that more people are coming back into the fold like prodigal sons returning from the wastelands of tomato refrigerating, they are seeking to ridicule us for the years that we spent wandering in the wilderness. This is because they are unhappy, spiteful people.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The best fruit to refrigerate is blueberries, for you see, frozen blueberries in milk is the most amazing treat. Let them mingle for 20 minutes before you start, and as you eat them, kinda mash them around a bit so the milk gets blueberry-y. :3:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I keep tomatoes in the fridge because who wants warm pico? Not me certainly.

We keep tomatoes in the cooler at work too, but our produce cooler is set to 55F, and go through like 2 case of roma a day, and 2 case of 5x6, and anywhere from 2 to 6 of grape/cherry.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is it a bad idea to buy a minifridge and set it to be cooler than room temp, but not cold? I'd like to keep my delicate fruit (and onions) good as long as possible, but without wrecking the flavor.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

What you're thinking of is basically the same concept as a root cellar, so I don't really see why it wouldn't work, except potentially some moisture issues. If you don't mind the added cost of purchasing and then running it and you have the space, that is. Unless getting to the store is a huge hassle for you, it seems like it might be easier to just buy in smaller amounts more often if stuff's going bad before you can eat it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Bánh mì is Vietnamese for bread not sandwich. :v:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mich posted:

Bánh mì is Vietnamese for bread not sandwich. :v:

:thejoke:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This thread is weird sometimes. Fridges are for milk and stuff, not fruits.

In fact, I can't think of any fresh vegetables that I regularly put in the fridge. It's like, maybe if I harvest a bunch of radishes and I need to keep the greens fresh for a couple of days or something, I put them in there. But otherwise the vegetable matter in the fridge is like kimchee and stuff.

Did nobody else grow up with/still have the big fruit bowl on the dining room table that was free pickings? That's where you're supposed to store fruits.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I didn't know about not refrigerating tomatoes (and, gasp, garlic) until a few years ago when I started getting a CSA box and googled how to properly store everything.

Apples and berries refrigerate fine though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

I never put larger tomatoes in the refrigerator, but I have always put grape or cherry tomatoes in the fridge without thinking about it. It's never once occurred to me that this doesn't make sense. It actually bothers me deeply to think of leaving all types of tomatoes out on the counter together, but I don't know why. I've never even had a non-fridge tiny tomato. I'm an ignorant tomato segregationist and I never knew :cripes:

I can't live like this now that I'm enlightened. I'm gonna go buy some fresh, room temp grape tomatoes to taste and then leave out on the counter. The intolerance stops today.

that's the first step.

then when you pick a sweet 100 off the vine in the middle of july and it's still warm from the sun and eat it and it tastes sweeter than any grocery store strawberry you've ever had you could have swore someone injected simple syrup in it, there's no going back.

Also room temperature pico de gallo owns, chef de cuisinart is just weird. Never fridge tomatoes, they get so sad tasting.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stop using fridge as a verb.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Stop using fridge as a verb.

Only when the British stop using that annoying "at hospital" idiom.

EDIT: and there is a long "a" in loving hurricane (hurr-uh-kayne)! (BBC radio is a big offender on this one)

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Its something they learned at school.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What is wrong with you people, tomatoes in the fridge is a cardinal sin. So disappointed in all of you who practice that barbarism.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I'm really surprised at that. Specially with tomatoes? My dad always grew tomatoes, and he taught me that they are constantly ripening after picking, so how you store them is important. If they are greenish and need to ripen more, you can leave them on the windowsill in the sun. If your tomatoes are about to rot, you should can them or make sauce, not store them.

Wiggles: yeah, that one too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Did nobody else grow up with/still have the big fruit bowl on the dining room table that was free pickings? That's where you're supposed to store fruits.

That's what those multi-level hanging fruit baskets are for. You don't want everything in one basket because all of your fruit over-ripen super fast but if they're left with some breathing room it's all good. Bananas on bottom along with maybe apples, then you have your tomatoes on the second level and then you have basically nothing on the top because I never could figure out what to put on a 3" circle. An onion I guess? Those I do put in the fridge. Never noticed a difference with onions or garlic. I mean I get that you don't have to put them in there but meh, it doesn't affect the flavor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you don't have AC in the summer, you have to put your fruit in the refrigerator or you'll end up with melted lumps of green peppers and such on the counter top. Ew.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OK, this is a discussion that needs further explanations.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646907

Please to tell me the secrets of the fridge.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This thread is weird sometimes. Fridges are for milk and stuff, not fruits.

In fact, I can't think of any fresh vegetables that I regularly put in the fridge. It's like, maybe if I harvest a bunch of radishes and I need to keep the greens fresh for a couple of days or something, I put them in there. But otherwise the vegetable matter in the fridge is like kimchee and stuff.

Where I grew up, that big fruit bowl was made of wax or plastic. Real fruits came in a can.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

We had a bowl of fruits, but tomatoes were vegetables, and vegetables went in the fridge.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have never heard this. "IN hospital" or "at THE hospital" but never "at hospital". Am I just sheltered?

But even so, why is it wrong? You can be "at school" or "at work".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

But even so, why is it wrong? You can be "at school" or "at work".
The same reason I have had to explain to Indian coworkers that yesterday morning is correct, tomorrow morning is correct, but today morning is a novel construction.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croatoan posted:

That's what those multi-level hanging fruit baskets are for. You don't want everything in one basket because all of your fruit over-ripen super fast but if they're left with some breathing room it's all good. Bananas on bottom along with maybe apples, then you have your tomatoes on the second level and then you have basically nothing on the top because I never could figure out what to put on a 3" circle. An onion I guess? Those I do put in the fridge. Never noticed a difference with onions or garlic. I mean I get that you don't have to put them in there but meh, it doesn't affect the flavor.

:psyduck: why would you put an onion or garlic in the fridge?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

When I have half a leftover onion, I put that in the fridge.

Although sometimes I'll just chop it up, put it in a bowl of vinegar for 10m and eat with some cheese.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: why would you put an onion or garlic in the fridge?

:shrug:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Refrigerators are for milk, cheese, and dismembered hooker torsos. Anything else and you're just being a sissy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

loving hells I got a 60-day move out notice. Renting is bullshit.