Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be fair, it is probably pretty hard to use the back button when you have paws without opposable thumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

fuseshock posted:

Got my Lumia Icon late yesterday and have been playing with it since. So far I really like it, great screen, smooth, etc. etc. I also like the MixRadio. Are the standard HERE Maps and assorted apps good for navigation? I think I'm going to wait until Verizon releases 8.1 to update the phone. But in WP8, is there no way to automatically update all the apps?

No that's a 8.1 feature, will do it when you're on WiFi

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'd rate the HERE suite as above Apple maps and below Google maps; the way it shunts you between applications for transit and driving is a bit awkward but it at least has transit, works, and I've never gotten lost, so. v:v:v What's really cool is that it lets you download maps regionally for offline use , which is very handy if you're on a limited plan like me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure that the guys who wrote the Waze port to WP have never actually used it.

It's awfully buggy, but at the same time it's pretty good giving directions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
After 2.5 years, I think I'm going to have to give Windows Phone the elbow and hop over to Android on my next handset.

I have a few questions though - has anyone who has used Windows Phone 8.1 and gone over to Android 4.4 regretted it? If so, why? I'm thinking specifically of little things that you might not notice until you've been using Android for a while, or even small stuff that hits you right away.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

WattsvilleBlues posted:

After 2.5 years, I think I'm going to have to give Windows Phone the elbow and hop over to Android on my next handset.

But SOMETHING MAJOR is coming to WP!

It'll probably be a broken port of Candy Crush or they're gonna buy Blackberry for patents or something like that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably the usual over-promise and under-deliver, then delayed as gently caress.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

It'll probably be a broken port of Candy Crush or they're gonna buy Blackberry for patents or something like that.

I'm thinking it's new devices? It's about time for some new devices.

Also The Verge says WP is getting folders. Which it doesn't need but a few people will probably be happy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Their cross platform smart watch?

http://gizmodo.com/there-might-be-a-microsoft-smartwatch-in-october-1597694963

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have a few questions though - has anyone who has used Windows Phone 8.1 and gone over to Android 4.4 regretted it? If so, why? I'm thinking specifically of little things that you might not notice until you've been using Android for a while, or even small stuff that hits you right away.

There's not much in terms of functionality I would ever yearn for WP about. Maybe if you really like linked inboxes or the People hub.

For me, I just get sick of Android being so boring aesthetically. Yeah, you can customise it but for the most part it's all just small twists on the same thing.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably the usual over-promise and under-deliver, then delayed as gently caress.

This is probably it. The 3D touch means jack poo poo to me and I don't give a gently caress about a smart watch.

Announce some new phones with killer hardware and get 8.1 out the loving door.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been spoiled by having the Glance screen (Nokia Sleeping Screen) always on. It'll be hard for me to have a phone that needs to be unlocked anytime I want to check the time or notifications, especially if I'm in a meeting or something.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LentThem posted:

I've been spoiled by having the Glance screen (Nokia Sleeping Screen) always on. It'll be hard for me to have a phone that needs to be unlocked anytime I want to check the time or notifications, especially if I'm in a meeting or something.

The Moto X does the same thing better, honestly.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

The Moto X does the same thing better, honestly.

And Glance doesn't work in the 930, so who knows if future models will have it anyway :(.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
BBM for Windows Phone will miss Q2 release by thatmuch.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Nokia X (Android) will replace Windows Phone, or Candy Crush.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumors about a smartwatch are heating up. Of course, there's already silly specs, like 11 different sensors of unspecified kind. Gyro, accelerometer and barometer are probably going to be there, can't wait what people will think up for the other 8, in a way that doesn't decimate the battery or promise hocuspocus like the HealBe GoBe.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have been using Android 4.3-4.4 recently on my EVO LTE since Sprint is still... Sprint. (No new Windows Phones for well, ever?) and while It has been easy to get all the apps you want, I really miss my WP 7.8 style of interaction. Everything was built in and just worked. And whoever says Android is better and handling Ram is full of it. My Arrive was way better at handeling Web Page loads and multitasking then my EVO ever has even with 1G vs 512MB. I seriously can not run Maps and any music app for a semi extended period of time without Maps eating the Music App eventually. Same goes for Chrome almost always eating so much memory that it eats the Keyboard's memory and makes it impossible to actually type something in a forum for example. My most powerful Android device is an Nvidia Shield and it does work quite well with 2G of Memory and a beefy Quad Core, but there is something sad about needing that much power to equal the reliable use of an OS vs one that was efficient on a S1 Snapdragon and 512MB of ram. Even the HTC 8X handles everything very well with the same core hardware specs of my EVO.

Newer devices with 2-3G ram should probably be ok, but man has it been frustrating even with the improvements over time.

I still hate the way Android doesn't flow the same throughout the OS whether it is Sense or Raw Kit Kat style, and I hate seeing how Windows Phone seems to be following in the same lines of having to go from somewhere in the core OS to an app, to another app, etc to get something simple done or look at a picture/link etc. So many taps to get to the same content you only had to swipe to once on WP 7.5/8 in the past.

It is hard to really describe as I just recently am trying out a 4.4.4 Rom after being on the most recent 4.3 Sense 5.5 rom, but while Android does continue to improve, the reliance on separate apps for everything, and how nothing feels unified with stuff changing after a few months with each major release whether it be OS or App, really sort of gets old. I can see why Google is trying to do the more unified Theme style with Android L down the line.

However even they can't seem to make an e-mail app worth a drat vs. the ease of use Windows Phone's works.

With Android, you have ALL the apps, but I still miss the Ease of actually living with Windows Phone and how everything just worked... Which it sounds like they have managed to screw up with 8.1 in a way and I have been seeing somewhat with my mom's Icon. It still works, but the changes really just are frustrating.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 30, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Balls to all this smart watch nonsense, make a 930 variant for AT&T

The Lumia 935 or whatever

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I really wish Pebble would make an official app for Windows Phone now that 8.1 pretty much fixed all the Notification API problems (or so I believe, I could be wrong as I don't develop).

Also isn't AT&T getting the 930 itself?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

I really wish Pebble would make an official app for Windows Phone now that 8.1 pretty much fixed all the Notification API problems (or so I believe, I could be wrong as I don't develop).

Also isn't AT&T getting the 930 itself?

Nothing new on AT&T has been announced. They are getting the Bluetooth LE implementations certified, which should hopefully open up the door for all this stuff.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I cannot wait to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the Lumia Icon. The fiancée finally ditched her iPhone 4 for a Galaxy S5 and she's in love with it. It's a cool phone, but after using the Icon for about 10 minutes, I'm in love. I'm one of the three people on the planet it seems like that enjoys using Windows 8.1. And my Zune. And my XBox systems. Might as well through a Windows Phone into the mix to reach Microsoft whore status.

Here's hoping Verizon has a sale on it soon.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Regarding the inconsistent back button behavior from a page or two ago, I'm glad to see that the latest 8.1 updates seem to use the button correctly in Internet Explorer. I can finally read a page, go do other stuff for a while, and come back to IE and still be able to back into previous pages. It made no sense after they took out the software back button in IE in 7.5.

I'm on board with it working like that in every app. The only time I hit back is to go backwards inside what I'm doing - if I want to back "out" of the app, I hold down to multitask or hit home.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Zarfol posted:

If possible, get a Nokia 925 instead of a 920 if you can. If you want to get a 920 on the cheap you can pick one up on Swappa for ~$120 or so. But if you want to go cheap, get a 520/521 or wait a month or two until the 635 comes out for $99.

I know this is from the last page but I wanted to say that one of my family members got a refurbished 925 from Tmobile for $150 and it's a really nice phone. It supports their Wifi calling, LTE, glance, plus it has a nice OLED display and feels really nice in your hand. I've been using a 521 for a while and you can really tell the difference between a $400 (retail, new) phone and a sub $120 one. The refurb one is $200 on Tmobile's site but if you have a plan and login it is priced at $150. The one they shipped me looks essentially brand new.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So it turns out that the Lumia 900 doesn't use microSD cards for storage. As a result, I can't expand beyond the stock 16 GB which is just barely enough space to get my base music collection. I'd rather have more so I can use it as a more modern Zune replacement and to store most of my music collection.

Is there a comprehensive list of Windows Phone 7 devices that can have their storage upgraded with microSD cards? Any recommendations for something small, light, that has good build quality, and isn't plastered in carrier logos? Last one isn't a big deal, though.

I already have a 32GB card that I used for my old Venue Pro but that was way too big and heavy to carry around considering I'm currently using a Lumia 920.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy
Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Wifi may not be that common depending on where you are, you might listen to non English music not available on major streaming services, streaming services might not be available or be terrible in your country, you might not be able to swing a monthly fee, you might just like having the same song on repeat some days, etc etc.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

clandestine cactus posted:

Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

Not if you're traveling and end up in bumfuck nowhere.

I just recently came back from a roadtrip through Western Virginia and Xbox Music was having a hissy fit because most of the time the only data I got was either EDGE or loving GPRS. Occasionally, I'll run into larger towns and cities that do have 4G or LTE but only lasts for about 30-45 minutes before leaving town. And that was me just trying to play music I had stored locally. Streaming was not even an option after leaving New Jersey through Pennsylvania.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

So it turns out that the Lumia 900 doesn't use microSD cards for storage. As a result, I can't expand beyond the stock 16 GB which is just barely enough space to get my base music collection. I'd rather have more so I can use it as a more modern Zune replacement and to store most of my music collection.

Is there a comprehensive list of Windows Phone 7 devices that can have their storage upgraded with microSD cards? Any recommendations for something small, light, that has good build quality, and isn't plastered in carrier logos? Last one isn't a big deal, though.

I already have a 32GB card that I used for my old Venue Pro but that was way too big and heavy to carry around considering I'm currently using a Lumia 920.

Samsung Focus is about it in terms of 3rd party MicroSD support for 7.x devices.

Genuine question.

Air travel, and stuff that's not on the streaming services.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Genuine question.

My real answer used to be data prices. 200MB monthly caps only go so far.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Samsung Focus is about it in terms of 3rd party MicroSD support for 7.x devices.

What about in cases where microSD is being used as the storage device and is not supposed to be user serviced like the Dell Venue Pro or HTC HD7?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

What about in cases where microSD is being used as the storage device and is not supposed to be user serviced like the Dell Venue Pro or HTC HD7?

Yeah, those are also options, although more painful ones, and the HD7 and Venue Pro and kind of crappy choices compared to the Focus.

The microSD card slot on the Focus is easily accessible, but it gets "stitched together" with the 8 gigs of onboard space to make a unified storage space (adding/removing the card is a hard reset situation though). The Focus was always pretty sensitive to the speed of the MicroSD card used, and it took me 2 or 3 cards before I found a usable one, but having 40 gigs of onboard space was nice.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
What are the chances of phone carriers doing 4th of July specials? If Verizon can cut down or even waive the $199 2-year contract price on the Nokia Lumia, I'll pounce immediately. That's all I'm waiting for.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Charles Martel posted:

What are the chances of phone carriers doing 4th of July specials? If Verizon can cut down or even waive the $199 2-year contract price on the Nokia Lumia, I'll pounce immediately. That's all I'm waiting for.

You can get it now for $109 on Amazon. Verizon has historically done July 4th sales, but I haven't actually seen anything this year for them.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Genuine question.

I feel like you're kinda reaffirming this MS view, only about Winphone instead of Xbone

Continuous access to wifi and to fast unlimited mobile data plans really isn't a thing in a lot of places, and definitely not the places with the highest (low-end) Winphone sales.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PSA: Don't update the Calendar app. It crashes left and right.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Wifi may not be that common depending on where you are, you might listen to non English music not available on major streaming services, streaming services might not be available or be terrible in your country, you might not be able to swing a monthly fee, you might just like having the same song on repeat some days, etc etc.

That's why I like Google Play Music. I can throw all of my (legally purchased off of iTunes) Japanese music into the music locker and access it anywhere, and it's free on top of it. Unless I'm on Wifi I don't stream from it, but I do rotate pin albums for offline listening. There is no Windows Phone client for it beyond some decent third-party clients, but they only go so far.

But having streaming apps is no excuse for not having a decent music/sync app though. It's a valid workflow that Windows Phone completely fails on at the moment.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Would having the Lumia 1520 in an armband during a workout be an absolutely crazy thing to do? This is maybe the only thing preventing me from ordering one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Would having the Lumia 1520 in an armband during a workout be an absolutely crazy thing to do? This is maybe the only thing preventing me from ordering one.

The only way to know for sure is to make a cardboard cutout with the dimensions of the 1520 and give it a shot. It would be best to fill it with tightly packed sand in a plastic baggy or something like that so you can match the weight decently well, too. I'd recommend giving it at least a week or so, as first impressions might be misleading (in either direction, as it could be something you get used to or that aggravates you more over time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Genuine question.

Because I live in Canada which has poo poo data plans and I'm commuting like four hours every day. It would probably be cheaper to hire a band to sit on the train with me and play music than it would to go over my stupid bitcap by streaming their music :|