Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not if you use water-based coolant :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Track 'prep' for tonight :v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
All gift-wrapped and ready to go.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got tired of the buffeting on the Strom and ordered a Manta windscreen which came today and turned out to be for 2004+, not the 02-3, so I said gently caress it and cut about 4" off of the Givi 255 the PO had put on. There's still a bit of buffet if I let my body relax too much and slouch, as the blast hits right at the bottom of the helmet, 2 more inches off, I guess. Plus the footpeg lowering brackets made todays ride much nicer.
Since it came home I've put on a Tusk Raptor bend bar, Tusk D-Flex handguards, Givi E21 sideboxes and frame, a remachined rear wheel spacer and a forkbrace. A 525 chain came in yesterday, and gold masterlinks are on the way so it's easier to tell where I started lubing the chain, they're going on with a -1/2+ set of sprockets for more low end and drop 6th gear which is geared waay too tall.

All that's left on the list now are a remachined clutch basket to get rid of the chudder and a new seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finished the new turn signals.

Old ones looked like this

They're a lot more focused than the old ones, so they don't appear as bright from off-axis, but when you're more than 20 feet in front or behind they're pretty intense. The actual LED units I got are sold as those amber warning strobes that detectives and volunteer firefighters and stuff put in their rear window.

Still waiting on the proper flasher relay to arrive, but I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Take that, hipsters: instead of grinding poo poo off, I'm adding it, and it's Hi-Viz orange :iamafag:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 29, 2014

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Finished the new turn signals.

First off, the build quality looks great (from these photos) and kudos to you for doing something I'm entirely incapable of. It's cool as hell that you were able to do that.

That said, the opinion of one random internet rear end in a top hat (me) is that the hi-viz orange may be a little too hi-viz for this application. I think of you painted the back halves black (like stock) it would look even better. I think the shape of the new indicators beats the stockers in every way, it's just that 360-degrees of orange looks sorta out of place with the rest of the design.

Feel free to ignore me as otherwise you did a great job, and now you make me want to take CAD classes for this stuff. How long did it take you to design? Do you do this stuff for a living or just fun?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm waiting for the next post where you either get a fix-it ticket for not having DOT-compliant signals, or you get hit by a car because they can't see your signals from the side.

(DOT requires all turn signals to be visible from 90 degrees off-axis to the front/rear of the vehicle, those are unsafe and not legal. The only good LED signals are the ones that properly have diodes that aim to the sides as well as forward/backward.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Re. the color -- yeah, I'm 50-50 on it. I didn't have any black filament left and wanted to get these going ASAP so I used the next best option. I kind of like it, but black would definitely be less distracting. But then again you want people to pay attention to you? In either case, I have some black on the way to make the gauge cluster replacement, and I designed the housings to be swappable independently of the electronics in about 1 minute each, so I might go that way at some point. It's about 3.5 hours to print a set of four.

I designed them over the course of one evening (well, and a couple of small modifications the next day after I made a dumb mistake and the first test part didn't fit) and yes, I do this for a living, but it's rare that I get to just design random new stuff from start to finish. So this kind of thing is fun.

Re. the compliance -- I don't think the police here give a poo poo about that kind of thing. I see enough motorcycles on the road with invisible tail-tuck license plates, smoked signal lenses, tiny button LEDs that barely glow at all, and so on. I bet if the housings were black no average bystander would be able to tell they weren't stock.

They actually are visible when from 90 degrees, because the lenses stick out the front of the housing half an inch or so and scatter the light sideways. No they aren't as bright from that angle as the stock signals were. Do you ever trust that any car on the road has actually seen your turn signal and reacted accordingly? I sure as hell don't. Certainly the brighter the better, but the best thing is to anticipate cars doing idiotic things regardless of how blatant and obvious you think you are.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

e: just out of curiosity, I looked up the relevant statute and in fact in California the requirement is only that the signals be "visible from 300 feet front and rear". Obviously since I made these myself they are not approved by the FMVSS, but they do meet the local statutes in all other respects.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 29, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sort of wondering about the safety of that too. What about at night? Aren't the lights just going to look white from the side? The light itself won't be yellow, it'll just have a tiny yellow halo right at the point of origin which might be too difficult to see in certain conditions. I dunno. With the way I see people drive, and the dumb poo poo people put on their vehicles that's considered ordinary and acceptable, I can't imagine what they'd do if they saw your bike flash a random light that isn't an indicator, as far as they can tell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, the LEDs themselves produce amber light, as seen in the last photo. Or a least as you can sort of tell. The light in person is clearly orange. Just the lenses of the LED units themselves are clear.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's so loving awesome. How'd you make it? I remember you used a cnc for the mold for the tank grip, but I'm guessing this was a different process.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think those are really ugly. Sorry.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Rizoma would charge 80 bucks a pop for those.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Got the new tires on the new used wheels and balanced them. Next step is removing the brake discs from the old wheels and transplant them over. They have well over 5mm left everywhere on both front and back with replace limit on sub 4mm. All wheel bearings looked and felt good on the new used wheels so I won't replace them.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
$500 and four hours later, un-broke my VFR

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tried to finish adjusting my valves, buy my shim kit only came with 3 of each size and I need 7 of one and 5 of another. My existing shims can only be moved in 2 cases. So, off to Kawasaki this AM to order more of what I need.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The electronic flasher unit arrived today, so I installed that. The new turn signals work correctly now. Yay!

One interesting thing: the rear signals now stay on as marker lights whenever the bike is on. Stock, only the front turn signals did that, but now it's both. After thinking about it for a minute I'm pretty sure I know which little quirk of the wiring is making it happen, but I can't think of any real downsides to having extra rear illumination, so I think I'll keep it that way.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Cut the chain off and realized I ordered a 110 link 525 chain instead of the 112 link I need. Many combinations of four letter words were created today.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Installed a Throttlemeister on the BMW. I ordered the 'heavy' model, but I'm not sure that it's any heavier than the stock weights. Was simple enough to install once I understood how it works. I'm hoping that the perceived vibration reduction isn't the placebo effect.

I plan on hitting up a KTM dealer sometime soon to see if they'll let me size up a PHDS to see if it will fit.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ripped the plastics off the sides and bottom so I can rewire my blinkers. Both front blinkers were messed up from dropping and then a crash so I just bought a new set. Just have to splice the oem connector onto the aftermarket blinkers and done! I'll probably leave the fairings off until the weekend though so the shop can give it a look over to see if anything broke in the crash. I think it's ok though. Stopping by parts/service tomorrow to order a new clipon and rear brake pedal.

Speaking of which, is it easy to swap a clipon? I feel like I'm probably going to destroy the grip in the process and should probably just order a new one now.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Schroeder91 posted:

Ripped the plastics off the sides and bottom so I can rewire my blinkers. Both front blinkers were messed up from dropping and then a crash so I just bought a new set. Just have to splice the oem connector onto the aftermarket blinkers and done! I'll probably leave the fairings off until the weekend though so the shop can give it a look over to see if anything broke in the crash. I think it's ok though. Stopping by parts/service tomorrow to order a new clipon and rear brake pedal.

Speaking of which, is it easy to swap a clipon? I feel like I'm probably going to destroy the grip in the process and should probably just order a new one now.

Yes it's super easy. The only thing that might take a couple minutes is to drill a guide hole for your controls, if your current clipon has one. Some people just grind off the little nubs on the controls but I think it's an anti-pattern; engineers added that feature for a reason. And yes you are going to destroy the grip unless you have shop air (where a good blast between the grip and the bar will force it to slide off the bar) or you go to town with a flathead driver and lube (not worth the time).

PS I find it a little humorous that you actually go to a dealership parts counter to order parts. I (and I assume most people here) just use the Ron Ayers microfiche to find the right part numbers and order them online. Saves me a bunch of time waiting for the parts kid to fumble around a book... unless you're planning on having them install parts or you don't feel like deciphering the diagram, I guess.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

mguirk the jerk posted:

Yes it's super easy. The only thing that might take a couple minutes is to drill a guide hole for your controls, if your current clipon has one. Some people just grind off the little nubs on the controls but I think it's an anti-pattern; engineers added that feature for a reason. And yes you are going to destroy the grip unless you have shop air (where a good blast between the grip and the bar will force it to slide off the bar) or you go to town with a flathead driver and lube (not worth the time).

PS I find it a little humorous that you actually go to a dealership parts counter to order parts. I (and I assume most people here) just use the Ron Ayers microfiche to find the right part numbers and order them online. Saves me a bunch of time waiting for the parts kid to fumble around a book... unless you're planning on having them install parts or you don't feel like deciphering the diagram, I guess.

They look it up in the computer and are usually pretty quick with it. They'll price match the website so I can get the cheapest price and I get a 15% discount I believe, since I bought my bike there. I also get to look at the bieks while I'm there :dance:.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
A good local shop (becoming sort of rare) can be a pretty useful place. My local Honda shop can get a ton of stuff overnight with no shipping costs. They also stock lots of random bits and pieces that aren't worth ordering online. Unfortunately, they have moved across town so now instead of being a 2 minute drive they're a 15 minute drive :effort:.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
Totally jealous of both you guise. For being a huge loving metropolitan area, Philadelphia's only dealerships are:

- Seedy Kawayamahondazuki dealers on the fringe suburbs who cater to the poor kids who ride ATVs and dirtbikes in the Philly streets
- Hillbilly shops in the far exurbs who haven't learned how to use a computer
- Typical jackoff HD dealerships with the gimmicky promotional BBQs every weekend
- A couple private garages with 2+ week lead times

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat, Kawi wants over $10 per single valve shim and they don't have any of them in stock!

Screw it, can get hot cams for about $1 each online if I can wait a week or two for shipping. So be it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Moved the rear brake disc over to the new wheel and installed the new wheel. bye bye aluminium rot.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I let the dealer do the first oil change and 600 mile service on the FZ1 today. I'll be doing the rest myself. Screw paying dealer labor rates.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Replaced my balding rear Pilot Power on the 690SM with a Distanzia, swapped brake pads and replaced/bled the fluid.

I'm loving the looks and feels of the Distanzia. I already ripped around on a few mild dirt turnouts and it feels great. It's appearance has inspired me to get some flat gray vinyl and wrap the SM - make it into some sort of stealth military scout thing. Next paycheck I'll probably get a front too, even though the Pilot Power is still fine (spends 90% of it's time in the air etc :v:)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

drat, Kawi wants over $10 per single valve shim and they don't have any of them in stock!

Screw it, can get hot cams for about $1 each online if I can wait a week or two for shipping. So be it.

Are there any bike shops near you that would let you trade shim for shim? I've even heard of several forums that do that.
I ended up putting a kit together out of several junk heads I took apart at the pick-n-pull and a few packs of Hot Cams shims after I priced shims from Yamaha and found out they were in the $10 range.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My 04 R1 was always running a bit rough in the sub 3k RPM range, I figured it was just the nature of having a very high strung inline 4, then it became difficult to start and wouldn't idle properly.

Turns out changing the spark plugs made all the difference, runs beautifully smooth at all RPM, keep in mind the bike has like 4800 miles :v I guess if it's sat around a bit the plugs can kinda go bad, they did smell like unburned fuel when I pulled em.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bugdrvr posted:

Are there any bike shops near you that would let you trade shim for shim? I've even heard of several forums that do that.
I ended up putting a kit together out of several junk heads I took apart at the pick-n-pull and a few packs of Hot Cams shims after I priced shims from Yamaha and found out they were in the $10 range.

There is a couple private shops, but they're more Harley shops than anything and they're a different size.

I already ordered them from the ebay seller and they are on their way. I figure I'll have them early next week so it's not a biggie.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Jb-welded the dent/tiny crack in my crankcase cover last night. The crack is very small and probably didn't need the jbweld but I did it just in case, it did leak like a drop of oil.

Unfortunately my throttle grip is on backorder until the 21st, so I can't change my clip on until then :(.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Go grab some Renthals from cyclegear

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
2003 XR 100

Runs decent, but won't rev above 6000 rpms.

Stator cover is cracked.

hmmm lets open it up and pull the flywheel

I think I lightened my flywheel by 10oz by just knocking dirt off it though!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Cleaned around the front sprocket area and put on the new chain and -1/+2 sprockets then took it for a ride to a bike shop, got some foam grips and a progrip for the tank, yea more power.:haw:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That looks like a stator casing missing windings.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Nah thats what a stock stator looks like. I don't know what happened though because now I am getting no spark. Either the dirt was a critical component or I broke something by just looking at it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EX250 Type R posted:

Nah thats what a stock stator looks like. I don't know what happened though because now I am getting no spark. Either the dirt was a critical component or I broke something by just looking at it.

The dirt was an insulator. By removing it you've caused a short.

Check the parts diagram on ron ayers and order some more dirt.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Popped babby's first power wheelie. By accident. About a foot high for all of a second or two.

Didn't die. Landed gently and perfectly composed.

Probably a bad thing.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Likewise, I did my first real wheelie over a crest yesterday. Didn't even completely register it until the wheel hit the ground again, very undramatic.

I'll be sure to ride that road some more in the future :c00l: