Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coma
Oct 21, 2010

whats really sad is that you nerds' dumb opinions about putting mario on iphone for 1dollar and putting blood and tits and ken levine writing in zelda are so unjustifiably bad that you need to couch them in false 'business predictions' that are wildly untrue to anyone with 5 seconds to google it all out

coma fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

coma posted:

hey guys handhelds are preeeeeetty much dead even though they sell in the millions still and show no signs of stopping, and also, nintendo is somehow done even though they've got enough surplus saved up for 40 years of flops
You left out the best part about that Polygon article, where they predicted that Mario Kart 8 could sell at most 1.2 million copies over its entire life time, which prediction was then beaten by the actual number of sales of the game over the very first weekend that it was out :v:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Polygon mother loving sucks dick.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

gamejournalism.txt

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 29, 2014

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I Can't Believe It's Not Ben Kuchera

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If there is one truth in the world, it is this

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I thought it was Kotaku

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It's ok guys I'm a trained, professional economist I can tell you how Nintendo will do in a year *rolls a crystal ball around in chicken blood* Hmm these swirl patterns tell me Super Smash Brothers will only sell half a million copies in it's life

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

best part of that is this line from the first article:

GAMING JOURNALISM posted:

If Nintendo's console predictions are correct, and assuming the average of 20.37 percent remains, Mario Kart 8 sales would reach 1.99 million units by the end of March 2015.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

coma posted:

hey guys handhelds are preeeeeetty much dead even though they sell in the millions still and show no signs of stopping, and also, nintendo is somehow done even though they've got enough surplus saved up for 40 years of flops

Nah, handhelds show absolutely every sign of slowing down, being a dying market.

And Nintendo doesn't have a surplus for another "40 years of flops", they are burning through their cash at a lightning's pace.

coma posted:

whats really sad is that you nerds' dumb opinions about putting mario on iphone for 1dollar and putting blood and tits and ken levine writing in zelda are so unjustifiably bad that you need to couch them in false 'business predictions' that are wildly untrue to anyone with 5 seconds to google it all out

Problem: Nintendo's current strategy isn't working out all that well, either

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Nintendo should make Pokemon realdolls with realistic gently caress holes. That's where the real money is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
TBH I'm kinda bored with MK8 after unlocking everything I kinda want an actual battle mode now.

That's pretty much the only big fault with the game rest is perfect.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's ok guys I'm a trained, professional economist I can tell you how Nintendo will do in a year *rolls a crystal ball around in chicken blood* Hmm these swirl patterns tell me Super Smash Brothers will only sell half a million copies in it's life

As a trained economist, this method is more accurate than most models we make. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Level Slide posted:

Nintendo should make Pokemon realdolls with realistic gently caress holes. That's where the real money is.

I really wish this wasn't true.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, hell, the WiiU gamepad can run games almost by itself, I reckon the next console will likely be something like that, a handheld that you can plug into a moniter and get a better resolution, more players etc.

A major issue with Nintendo and that they admitted is that their development efforts are spread across two platforms while making similar products. I feel as though most consumers can get a 'good enough' experience if they just buy a 3DS over a Wii U. You can now even play Smash Bros. on a 3DS.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

gamejournalism.txt

Perhaps this is off topic but I always Polygon had some of the most in-depth features but some of the worst 'clickbait' articles I've ever seen on a gaming website. Nonetheless, their controversial editorial pieces have always attracted substantially more traffic than their well-researched features. The Mario Kart 8 article isn't based on a particularly controversial thesis. However, the article is packaged with a lot of inflammatory language and graphs that will no doubt drive site traffic.

It's sad considering they have some very talented writers and researchers in their features section. For example, they had a great feature on the development on Street Fighter 2. There was a lot to talk about the great information in the article, such as the income disparity between game developers who make the game possible and salesman who sell games and ride Ferraris, the regional power struggle between Japan and America, the legal aspects of protecting a popular IP, and much more. Nonetheless, there was no where near the same discussion or activity on Street Fighter 2: An Oral History as there was on many of their 'clickbait' articles.

I'm sure their controversial articles took substantially less research and leg work than their features. With the recent departure of feature editor Russ Pitts, it appears as though Polygon's management is favoring the high traffic 'clickbait' editorial articles since they consistently drive more traffic and discussion.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

TBH I'm kinda bored with MK8 after unlocking everything I kinda want an actual battle mode now.

That's pretty much the only big fault with the game rest is perfect.

Sorry you are bored with a game after spending dozens of hours on it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i know i'm late on this but lmao jesus christ

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fungah! posted:

i know i'm late on this but lmao jesus christ

Yeah, you're really late considering that its come out that's Yaoi Mandels profile and he just changed the username.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, you're really late considering that its come out that's Yaoi Mandels profile and he just changed the username.

hahahaha

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Yikes! Sick burn bro. Yaoi Mandel, what do you say to that?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Hahaha fame Douglass rolled with the punches until I started pushing the virgin angle and now he's mad

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah i bet that okcupid profile of the lame guy with my name, is actually the cool latino hottie from FYAD instead

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Different hemisphere, remember?

Don't feel too bad, I know its hard for WiiU owners to retain knowledge. That's why all their games are repeats of old ones, cause they can't remember they've already played it 9 times before.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Don't feel too bad, I know its hard for WiiU owners to retain knowledge. That's why all their games are repeats of old ones, cause they can't remember they've already played it 9 times before.

we know its you, you can drop the subject now and stop bringing attention to your ugly rear end self, we don't evcen want to see your dick you are that bad

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

we know that that is you

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

name one

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Austrian mook posted:

we know that that is you
Care to put a :toxx: on that?

Wind Waker.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I would easily put a :toxx: on being able to name at least 5 wii u games... hell, I could even name 6.

edit: ah, you edited your post. Apologies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

lol that rap sheet

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

post your dick and i'll pay :10bux:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

3DS or WiiU?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Austrian mook posted:

post your dick and i'll pay :10bux:

Gimme the loving cash.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fulchrum posted:

Gimme the loving cash.

Is this you

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Post your picture so I can do the little line above it leading to a quote. havent decided on the quote yet but probably go with

The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't want you to do anything new. Appropriate for the WiiU thread, I guess, just keep recycling the same stuff over and over.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gaming ambrosia? Im here for gaming panacea!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Wouldn't want you to do anything new. Appropriate for the WiiU thread, I guess, just keep recycling the same stuff over and over.

What games on ps4 or xbone whatever are currently more fun than the stuff on wii u

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kewpuh posted:

What games on ps4 or xbone whatever are currently more fun than the stuff on wii u

Octodad. Towerfall Ascension. Mercenary Kings. Don't Starve. Resogun. Transistor.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 29, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Octodad. Towerfall Ascension. Mercenary Kings. Don't Starve. Resogun. Transistor.
Haha Mercenary Kings is as fun as a root canal

• Locked thread