Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
If your looking for nitro I believe the XO-1 is electric only. Also, it's the most expensive rtr and technically 1/7th scale. So you can't race it even if they did race locally. I honestly don't know a single person that has ran this car and can't say much else. If your looking at RTR I really liked my Kyosho Inferno GT2 (Nitro). I picked it up as a RTR and ran it in races right out of the box and upgraded as I went. Never broke a thing and won more often than not with that car. It's super durable and easy to upgrade. The OFNA DM-1 is another decent one, It's slightly cheaper but I found it didn't handle as good. Partially because of the front shock layout. Even though you said you probably won't race, this car is not one you can race at ROAR events because of the front shock layout. OFNA is coming out with a new car soon, the X-3 GT. This one of ROAR legal and probably the car I will be picking up later this year. Now if you want to build a kit, you have the same options as above and a few more. The Serpent Cobra GT is what a lot of guys with a higher budget ran. It looks like an amazing car, but It was out of my budget and I always did just fine with my GT2.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
I've got a pretty serious vintage obsession, Here is an Ultima I've just picked up.

Restore in progress on that.

I'm really looking for a Vintage Kyosho Optima. I'll post more pics as it progresses.

it came with the friggin original decals. I wonder if the adhesive is still good..lol

original box! XD

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Caused a poo poo ton of damage to my on road car last night during racing. In one race I broke the a rear arm, which also bent the hinge pin for the arm, the top camber link and twisted the rear sway bar. The rear tyre had barely snagged the wood barrier on the outside of the corner.

Then the next race I broke the front end, killing a C-hub and steering arm. Thank God I have more spare parts than the Tamiya factory.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Racing in general seems to be way harder on cars than bashing for some reason. I broke way more stuff when I raced my Slash than I normally would bashing it (bashing at the skate park aside)

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

I posted this in the DIY forum's tool thread and they advised to come speak to you good people. as you can see my original uestion was about power tool batteries but I guess there is more than a little crossover with RC batteries?

For reference, most power tool batteries contain sets of 1.2v Sub C batteries in series, I don't know if this is the same for RC car batteries?

quote:

Has anyone tried reconditioning old power tool batteries?

I've got a couple of dead / dying Bosch 24v batteries, one 2.0mah NICD and one 2.6 NIMH.

There are a whole lot of Youtube videos detailing how you can zap a NICD battery back to life with a jolt from ~double the voltage (i.e. 1no bad 24v battery jolted with 2no good 24v batteries in series). The theory is that crystals build up over time in the individual cells, eventually shorting them, and that sufficient charge can break them up again. This allows the pack to function again, albeit not necessarily at 100%.

I've given the NICD battery a couple of jolts at around 48v and results so far seem promising - the multimeter was showing ~10v output before and now it's giving ~20v, though whether this will last remains to be seen.

The NIMH one (which I haven't jolted), read at just above 24v as you might expect from a good battery, but there was no power at all when I press the trigger on the drill. Reading from the multimeter the voltage drops to zero under load (when the trigger is pressed), so I checked each individual cell and a couple were dead. I removed these cells from the series and charged the pack, and the drill started working again (obviously at a lower voltage)... I think I will get a couple of replacement cells and see if it bring the pack back to 'full' use again.

Has anyone tried this (or got the horrible scars to advise against it?)

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Zapping a battery like that is only a short term thing, it damages it in the long run. I would try cycling the battery several times. If its just old and has been sitting a long time it may come back. Maybe grab a cheap RC smart charger so you can see how many mah you are putting into it when you charge, and how many come out on the discharge. Keep cycling it until the capacity doesn't go up any more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33281__IMAX_B6_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_COPY_USA_Warehouse_.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Racing in general seems to be way harder on cars than bashing for some reason. I broke way more stuff when I raced my Slash than I normally would bashing it (bashing at the skate park aside)

Yeah, just seemed to be an out of the blue situation. I think because I have just changed a faster class that the small bumps which I could get away with I can't anymore.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
There's a lake not for from my house and it occurred to me how insanely fun it would be to have a super fast boat tear rear end across it. Anyone in here messed with boats? HobbyKing has a bunch and I plan doing some research but this is totally uncharted territory for me. I mean everything seems pretty straightforward although I didn't realize things were water cooled which is pretty awesome. The only thing I'm really worried about is losing power or bind or something with the boat 200 feet from shore.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So I got a Pro-Line Pro 2 to get back into the racing game and I'm needing a transponder I suppose. What does everyone use now? Is it the Mylaps RC4? Those are compatible with older AMB systems correct? Can one of you racin' types give me the 411?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
MyLaps RC4 is the new standard now (it got released about a year and a half ago), the transponders are backwards compatible with the older systems but the original AMBrc personal transponders and the RC3 transponders won't work on RC4 systems. Only clubs that run national or world events will have RC4 systems though, and they may still use the old AMB chunky transponders as hand-out gear (just don't go home with one, they're not sold any more). There's a couple of transponder cloning services (MRT is the main one in the UK) that sell cheaper versions as well, and I think they're waterproof too. RC3 and RC4 (the small MyLaps transponders with the black brackets) are waterproof as well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

MyLaps RC4 is the new standard now (it got released about a year and a half ago), the transponders are backwards compatible with the older systems but the original AMBrc personal transponders and the RC3 transponders won't work on RC4 systems. Only clubs that run national or world events will have RC4 systems though, and they may still use the old AMB chunky transponders as hand-out gear (just don't go home with one, they're not sold any more). There's a couple of transponder cloning services (MRT is the main one in the UK) that sell cheaper versions as well, and I think they're waterproof too. RC3 and RC4 (the small MyLaps transponders with the black brackets) are waterproof as well.

Thanks krush. I just placed an order for an RC4.

p.s. I sent you an e-mail awhile ago after you gave me your address but I'm guessing it got bounced.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

p.s. I sent you an e-mail awhile ago after you gave me your address but I'm guessing it got bounced.

Try frankm at hpi-europe.com, that's where everything forwards to anyway. Sometimes things sent to frank at hpiracing.com just doesn't arrive for some reason.

And I can't take any credit for the PT info, I got that from a guy literally named "part number" who works here and races most weekends.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks krush. I just placed an order for an RC4.
Which one, the Hybrid or the standard one? The Hybrid will allow you to run on older decoders

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Man I've found it to be the opposite. I rarely break parts racing, only broken part this year was a servo that I've been using in 8th scale for 6 years. Or the ve8 is built like a tank.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

Which one, the Hybrid or the standard one? The Hybrid will allow you to run on older decoders

poo poo. I ordered the standard one. I ordered from a hobby shop on ebay and messaged them about it just now so I hope they can just send the hybrid instead. The big local track probably runs a modern setup but I believe some of the other ones around here run older AMB setups. That means I probably wouldn't be compatible with the standard RC4, correct?

edit - Did some more reading and yep, I got the wrong one. Hopefully the ebay guy makes this an easy return/exchange.

double edit - The correct transponder is now on it's way :)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 13, 2014

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Picked up a new kit and its allmost ready for my first in 1:10 4wd buggy for a couple of years,

Loved the build and looks, real impressed with Hpi and hot bodies

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 16, 2014

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

That is a great looking buggy! I really like hpi as well, though I've had trouble getting parts for my ve8, it's turned out to be an awesome buggy.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
ah man when you got a good group to race with its fantastic.

on that note, Finally got placing on my last race, The clockwork RB screams!

nothing beats a mixed grill of various meats after a race!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Our landlord just replaced our awesome-for-crawling natural rock retaining wall with a boring normal one, and the landscaping guys also took all the big rocks I'd setup as a course around our garage and deck. I'm pretty bummed as it was really a pretty nice little setup to have right in the yard and I haven't found much for rock crawling locally.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

powderific posted:

Our landlord just replaced our awesome-for-crawling natural rock retaining wall with a boring normal one, and the landscaping guys also took all the big rocks I'd setup as a course around our garage and deck. I'm pretty bummed as it was really a pretty nice little setup to have right in the yard and I haven't found much for rock crawling locally.

that really sucks, why did they remove all the rocks? theirs nothing around locally to go crawling?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure really. They left a few chunks of ugly cement so I assume they had use for the natural rock on a project elsewhere. Anyway, I'm sure there's somewhere to do crawling local, but I'll need to do a bit of exploring to find it. I really like rock crawling vs running trails and whatnot so it's a little harder to find an ideal location.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Hello again, AI r/c'ers! Long time no post... It's been a wild winter and spring but it's good to be back!

In my little break from SA I built a few kits:

Did a little racing:

Built some tracks

Including this one from our 3rd annual Spring Classic trophy race:

And lost my sanctuary :suicide:

Can't wait to see what this summer brings :)

needknees fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 27, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Great looking facility (and cars). I'm jealous of the Bobcat. We've been building our mega truck track (think Monster Jam two lane styled course with jumps and mud) with shovels and it sucks. I'm finishing it up this week by burning a vacation day from work. I'm sure my back is gonna feel great!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Great looking facility (and cars). I'm jealous of the Bobcat. We've been building our mega truck track (think Monster Jam two lane styled course with jumps and mud) with shovels and it sucks. I'm finishing it up this week by burning a vacation day from work. I'm sure my back is gonna feel great!

Thanks!

Unfortunately (from the last pic) our indoor track is done :(. Property owner needed the building back to use for his actual business. Having good equipment makes things WAY easier for sure. I've done a lot of partial rebuilds with hand tools and it's amazing how much work it actually is to get something done right. Good luck on your track build!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

Thanks!

Unfortunately (from the last pic) our indoor track is done :(. Property owner needed the building back to use for his actual business. Having good equipment makes things WAY easier for sure. I've done a lot of partial rebuilds with hand tools and it's amazing how much work it actually is to get something done right. Good luck on your track build!

So are you scouting for a new facility now? Man that has to suck losing a spot like that after all the work you put it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's a real shame to lose that track! I wasn't around when it happened but I was really sad to hear SoCal RC closed down because the owner wanted to turn it into something other than a pair of RC tracks. The same thing happens to the volunteer clubs in the UK, though - unless you're the landowner you'll always be at the mercy of someone else's whims (and even worse, the neighbors that live near the track!).

Hey, in case anyone knows anyone with a Savage XL Octane, the Getting Started videos are up (6 videos from 1 to 5 minutes long), plus a Running Tips PDF you can print out: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/article/view/2014052801

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nice! We only got two Octanes in stock that lasted a couple hours. The @hpi twitter favorited our tweet and is now following us. I feel like one of the cool kids. They seem to be pretty cool models and in high demand. I guess there are some having issues with the stock spark plug, but overall they seem to have favorable feedback.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
nice to see you posting again needknees, shame about the track however :(

my scx10 is ready to go for a TCC back home but sadly it was canceled, few of us are still gonna get together a have a laugh. Can't wait for the weekend, i hope my luggage doesn't get lost. :ohdear:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I guess there are some having issues with the stock spark plug, but overall they seem to have favorable feedback.

It's like any nitro engine, the plug should be replaced after breaking in the engine. Replacement plugs can be found online - I'm not sure the exact spec though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any WR8 Flux owners out there? Would any of you be interested in doing a bulk buy of woven graphite 3mm chassis? I'm trying to get something lined up but need to see how much interest there may be.

Also...just found an RS4 Mini on eBay...and am looking for a Pro 2...as if I have enough room for them. But I do have a storage box of Mini stuff just waiting for a use!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Many thanks to ColonelJohnMatrix for letting me bug him with various scale RC questions. I ended up buying the SCX-10 Deadbolt, and have been having a grand ol' time throwing it around the past few days. Just trying to get a sense for where I can go, I put on a set of 2.2 Masher 2000 wheels from an old nitro stadium truck, and ripped through a few creekbeds this weekend. Good times all around.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I have a 2wd Stampede I got for free from my mom's BF, who picked it up from a garage sale. It had a Mamba Max with a 7700Kv motor, and it was absolutely loving insane. But when I melted the plastic off the battery that came with it I did some reading and found out that drivetrain/chassis is a terrible combination and the whole thing would be on fire fairly soon. So I swapped to a more sensible gear ratio (can't remember tooth counts, this was about a year ago) and it worked a little better, until today when it let the smoke out of the ESC.
Any recommendations for my next motor/ESC? I'd like to go waterproof since my new radio is, durability and reliability are concerns since I'd rather not have to replace it again for a while (and I bash regularly)- but I don't want to give up a whole lot on the performance end either. I'm pretty sure my motor is still good, so if I'm not a complete idiot for wanting to leave it on there and there's an ESC that's up to the task that might be an option too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hey no problem bisticles, I'm glad you're having fun. The truck looks sweet on those tires.

Tommychu, that is an insane setup. A stampede with a 7700kv motor is like taking a chevy s10 and dropping in a super charged big block. I love it. As for the ESC, go with a Castle SV3. They are relatively cheap, waterproof (we all run them in our mud racers) and can handle a 7700 kv. You really need to watch your temps with that hot of a motor though. I'd gear ultra conservatively because no matter what you will still have ludicrous power with that setup. You should probably invest in a Castle Link USB programmer so you can down tune the motor. It's super easy to do and that can help it run even smoother. Good luck!

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

HoWSeR posted:

rcmart maybe, or race and drift japan, best upgrades would be front one way, rear spool, and a aluminum driveshaft, and high angle CVDs.

If you see the Yeah Racing Aluminum Conversion Kit for the tt01 please do yer-self a big favour and DON'T buy it.

Edit: Just about done....

It takes some work to make a Wraith flex decent, but it is doable with a decent amount of modifying:

That being said, I will never buy another one. Out of the box, it is a poo poo vehicle for the money. I've easily had over 200 RC cars, and it will never be on the list of the ones I miss.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I think the RTR Wraith definitely leaves a lot to be desired, but the kit version wasn't bad. Regardless, I was never that big a fan of one and sold mine relatively quickly. I'm pretty excited about the new Axial Yeti, though. I have mine pre-ordered and from everything I've seen and heard they are like a Vaterra Twin Hammers that was done right. The Twin Hammers looked cool but had some obnoxious gremlins. It was pretty small, had cruddy tires on non-beadlocked wheels, crap brushed electronics, and the shift servo burnt out because the RTR radio couldn't hold the end points correctly....and this was for a pretty high asking price at $399 (same as the Wraith). The Yeti looks to combine the Wraith, Twin Hammers, and old Axial Terra Buggy into one slick package. Well, at least that's the goal. I guess I'll find out soon if it hits the mark.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Definitely looking forward to trying the Yeti, it looks like a really good evolution of a few different chassis, as you've said.

BTW, gotta ask where the follow-up video for the Octane is on BigSquid? :) Hemistorm has been doing some great videos of it once he learned how to tune (and break it in over 20+ tanks) and I thought there might be a follow-up video at some point.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yeti looks awesome, though I can't quite think of any place around here where I'd be able to really get it up to speed and enjoy it.

That said, I finally found a good use for the drainage creek out behind our house. SCX-10 Deadbolt, first time out with the replacement 55t motor. I'm loving the additional low/middle-range throttle response I get, really makes it easier to navigate slippery rocks and dirt without spinning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Any UK goons want a Kyosho DST? Got one kicking about that I've never really used, can't seem to get it running properly, may as well go to someone who'll benefit from it. PM me.

Also, recommend me a (reasonably priced) steering servo for a stock Clod Buster.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I don't normally shill my BSRC pieces here but I really liked how this truck turned out. I finally built a Tamiya Lunch Box!

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/product-spotlight-throwback-thursday-edition-tamiya-lunch-box/

The truck is a friggin' blast to play around with.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

I don't normally shill my BSRC pieces here but I really liked how this truck turned out. I finally built a Tamiya Lunch Box!

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/product-spotlight-throwback-thursday-edition-tamiya-lunch-box/

The truck is a friggin' blast to play around with.

That is so loving awesome.